St Austell skatespot

The West Country Shredders

St Austell skatespot

Postby bertslide » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Does anyone on here remember a skatespot near St.Austell. I think it was roof over a reservoir or similar. You could see it from the train when going from Truro to Snozzle, and looked like a massive piece of corrugated tin roof. I only skated it a couple of times but it was a fun place to skate.
Is it still there??
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Re: St Austell skatespot

Postby Krammer » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:32 pm

Towards which end, Truro or St Awfull?
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
Krammer
am I a skate geek

Postby bertslide » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Snozzle end but might have been just past it towards Par (memory is a bit hazy)
cheers

bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby baldyben » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:42 am

don't think this is the place but just found an empty reservoir in that area, getting a mate who is local to check it out and see if its skatable.

lat=50.3377781432, lon=-4.83565908987
baldyben
nothing better to do

Postby baldyben » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:58 am

please let this be the holy grail of ditches........ :drool:

what the fuck!!!!! anyone live near to check it out?

lat=50.3937035753, lon=-4.89408175798
baldyben
nothing better to do

Postby bertslide » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:15 am

St. Dennis!!! Where they eat their first born :lol:
cheers

bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Cosmic Bandito » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:16 pm

I can't find the spot with the Long/Lat ref. Looking on google maps i can see lots of reservoir looking things!!! Can you give me more of a clue and i'll go and scope it this week sometime.
In my Head, I Rip.....and that's the only place it matters
Cosmic Bandito
I got new wheels

Postby Cosmic Bandito » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:16 pm

I can't find the spot with the Long/Lat ref. Looking on google maps i can see lots of reservoir looking things!!! Can you give me more of a clue and i'll go and scope it this week sometime.
Cosmic Bandito
I got new wheels

Postby Krammer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Just paste the following without the 'lat' and 'lon' into google maps search box: 50.3937035753, -4.89408175798
Krammer
am I a skate geek

Postby Cosmic Bandito » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Krammer wrote:

Just paste the following without the 'lat' and 'lon' into google maps search box: 50.3937035753, -4.89408175798

Doh ! Got it. Cheers for that. The spot certainly looks like it's got potential. ~.. I'll try and free up a morning this week and check it out.Baldy, how did you spot that?
Cosmic Bandito
I got new wheels

Postby baldyben » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:53 pm

that spot turned out to be a path! it seems the picture is old and has since been filled in... feck!

oh well back to google earth then :oops:
baldyben
nothing better to do

Postby ben2 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm

I think what you are talking about is a spot called the humps, on google maps if you follow the train line out of St. Austell its just above Trenance road. From memory someone laid concrete blocks along all the dips rendering it unskateable, although mabye a lump hammer may change this. I think the map is missleading as I dont think Trenance road exists, I can remember hiking through bushes and crossing the railway line to get there, mind you it was 20 years ago.
ben2
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Nick F » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:32 pm

ben2 wrote:I think what you are talking about is a spot called the humps, on google maps if you follow the train line out of St. Austell its just above Trenance road. From memory someone laid concrete blocks along all the dips rendering it unskateable, although mabye a lump hammer may change this. I think the map is missleading as I dont think Trenance road exists, I can remember hiking through bushes and crossing the railway line to get there, mind you it was 20 years ago.

Top first post, welcome
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah my foes and oh my friends, It gives a lovely light!"
Nick F
anorak alert

Postby bertslide » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm

ben2 wrote:I think what you are talking about is a spot called the humps, on google maps if you follow the train line out of St. Austell its just above Trenance road. From memory someone laid concrete blocks along all the dips rendering it unskateable, although mabye a lump hammer may change this. I think the map is missleading as I dont think Trenance road exists, I can remember hiking through bushes and crossing the railway line to get there, mind you it was 20 years ago.

Holy resurrection Ben2
Finally someone who remembers the place. I'm sure you could see it from the train and I remember it being a bit of hike.
cheers

bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Krammer » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 am

Do you mean here: 50.344362,-4.804417
Krammer
am I a skate geek

Postby bertslide » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Looks like we have a winner, well done Krammer. I've looked but didn't spot this, anyone nearby going to check it out?
cheers

bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Krammer » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:22 pm

I can but not until the weekend...
Krammer
am I a skate geek

Postby Rich G » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:46 pm

I remember this spot and yes it was called "humps", used to skate it a little in the late 80s, its had concrete blocks cemented in the bottom of the ditches for about 20 years, it was virtually perfect, you had to walk through a aggro farmers super muddy field to get to it, also i have a mate whos an engineer for a water company and apparently its structurually unstable so u may die if try, hope thats helpfull.
Rich G
I'm too scared to post more

Postby Rich G » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 am

Hi, an update on the "humps", after reading this thread curiosity got the better of me and seen as i knew exactly how to get there, ive just returned from a 8 am recon mission, bad news im afraid, its totally unskateable, as well as the concrete blocks laid in the bottom its totally covered in some kind of cladding!!:(( silver reflective stuff, with ridges and bumps all over it ,and as well as that, the cladding is kinda soft if u press on in with your finger, its easy enough to check , i know the interweb is full of cynics , follow the road from the crossroads at the bottom of st austell, near the tower block , up grove road take a left, and follow the road until u go under a bridge, 2nd gateway on the right, follow the gravel lane, or go up the field to the top right ,hop the gate , then down through a small field and u can climb over the barbed wire, but like i said its fucked, it looks sooo perfect though, around 3 foot high and 5-6 bumps, the trannies were so smooth i remember,, and you could pump over them , or pump along thenm , pop ollies etc, such a shame its useless now, but i remember the farmer kicking off about us trespassing so thats whats done it i guess, theres several of the same design around st austell, but these had a layer of turf on them, theres another one on slades road, in st austell, a couple hundred yards down from the co-op, and another one at the top of penpilick hill nr par, all have the turf on, bummer, sorry to babble on, just thought those that know about it would be interested, peace :)
Rich G
I'm too scared to post more

Postby Drsplib » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Confirm this was the humps, st Austell legendary spot now gone. It was epic, about 5ft deep smooth concrete rollers about 50ft wide. I grew up in St Austell, I remember getting my first pro board (a hawk circa 1985) one Christmas and taking it up to the humps all day. St Austell had a pretty good scene in the 80's - Gannet, Guy Dicker, Warren, Brett, Voyle, and the rest.

A.
Cornwall and West London Fat Bastard

"the more people I meet, the more I love my dog."
Drsplib
I skateboard

Postby bertslide » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:04 am

Drsplib wrote:Confirm this was the humps, st Austell legendary spot now gone. It was epic, about 5ft deep smooth concrete rollers about 50ft wide. I grew up in St Austell, I remember getting my first pro board (a hawk circa 1985) one Christmas and taking it up to the humps all day. St Austell had a pretty good scene in the 80's - Gannet, Guy Dicker, Warren, Brett, Voyle, and the rest.

A.

You must have skated the "Skatepark" by the leisure centre as well then. I remember going there once, but that was enough. :lol:
cheers

bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Trevenen » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:30 pm

I remember that one Bert, as does PJ I think.

Yes once was enough for me too! :twisted:
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Postby Drsplib » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:24 pm

That bowl made Holywell look like Del Mar! With gnarly brick vert on one wall as I remember?? I recollect draining it a few times, but I think it worked better on a bike than a skate.
Cornwall and West London Fat Bastard

"the more people I meet, the more I love my dog."
Drsplib
I skateboard

Postby bertslide » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Those were the days :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cheers

bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Ben » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:23 am

Polkyth Leisure centre (I think) bowl.Quite the worst bowl I have ever skated.The brick coping went from a shallow transition to vert in 4 inches. I thought it was only around for a year or so.
tip toeing through the tulips

http://lyricalwaxing.wordpress.com/
Ben
I need a LIFE!

Return to Mostly Over The Hill Skaters