Fond memories of 70's skateparks in the South West

The West Country Shredders

Fond memories of 70's skateparks in the South West

Postby Kernow knowledge » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:40 pm

Gday!
Its taken a while for me to get around to registering here, but here I finally am. I have spoken to Gavin in the past and he is a top bloke, very generous.
I live in OZ now, moved from the UK in 1993. I skated in the 70's right through till the time I left and I occasionaly skate now. Fave parks were Plymouth, Hollywell Bay and Paignton Skatepark. Does anyone have any good pics of Plymouth or Paignton?
I skated the great bowl, shit surface pool/bowl at Roche near St Austell- is it still there? Newlyn East before stupidity took over and Millendreath beach bowl at Looe, is that still there?
If anyone rmebers these parks and has any stories or pics to share I would love to hear from them.
Australia is a great place for skaters with local councils being so pro leisure you cant walk more than half a mile without tripping over a skatepark!
Best wishes to all.

Peter[/url]
If There's Grass On The Pitch - Lets Play!
User avatar
Kernow knowledge
smell of grip tape
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:27 pm
Location: MELBOURNE

Wadebridge

Postby PJ » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:40 pm

My first taste of a bowl was a warehouse type building by the in Wadebridge in the Winter of '76 which bceam a regular Sunday afternoon trip for my dad.

My abiding memory is not the endless slams as I fell off my Bude Fibreflex but the jukebox !! The three tracks I remember are ELO (Mr. Blue Sky), The Stranglers (No More Heroes) and Tom Robinson Band (2-4-6-8 Motorway). Does anybody remember (or even care) what else was on that juke box all these years later?
User avatar
PJ
Geek
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:39 pm
Location: Plugged in to an amplifier

Postby Edgie » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:08 pm

I remember that place in Wadebridge.... bloody hell it was rough.....
Old Westcountry saying - May your earholes turn to arseholes and may you shit all over your shoulders.
User avatar
Edgie
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:20 am
Location: Taunton Somerset

Postby PJ » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:23 pm

If you think that was rough, you should have tries Bodmin . . .
User avatar
PJ
Geek
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:39 pm
Location: Plugged in to an amplifier

Postby Crispin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:15 am

Polkyth Leisure Centre in St. Austell was pretty rough too after they closed it, remember breaking into it before it got fully filled with some of the St. Austell lot, and having to jump over the back wall to escape :)

Rode Millandreath a bit as well, have a load of old photos of newlyn east and holywell somewhere
User avatar
Crispin
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:59 am
Location: Kernow

Postby Trevenen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:04 pm

Welcome aboard Crispin! I would love to see the photos you have of Holywell (where I learn to skate) and Newlyn East (where I grew up, and helped to build) Where are you now? Still skate?
Bloody hell that "half pipe" at MillanDEATH was nasty wasn't it? Bowl's kind of fun tho. :D
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
User avatar
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE
 
Posts: 9410
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Plymouth

Postby Edgie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:22 pm

Millendreath..............I forgot all about that place... post the pics we want to see em.....

BTW - Welcome to MAS.......
Old Westcountry saying - May your earholes turn to arseholes and may you shit all over your shoulders.
User avatar
Edgie
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:20 am
Location: Taunton Somerset

Postby Crispin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:52 pm

Cheers for the welcome lads! great site :)

Am the grand old age of 31 now, and moved to london for fame and fortune - found neither, but still seem to work like a dog :)

Used to skate from '87 to 2000 with Par, St Austell, and Truro boys, went to watch the Swatch tours in Newquay back in the day, St Austell YMCA mini ramps, Mount Hawke, and Plymouth as well...also remember playing place and the tregony mini ramp

Have photos of Holywell, Newlyn, and a load of the powell tours, and footage of the same powell tours and some of the mount hawke lot from about 91. All in storage in Cornwall atm, but when I get a spare few weekends i'll try and lob it up to the web somewhere...Yeah Millandreath half pipe was evil! spent some long summer days riding the bowl....Remember making the pilgramage to Crantock ramp as well (followed Sean Goff and the Abrooks - from a safe distance!) - first vert I ever dropped in on (scared the life out of me)!

Remember a blonde haired chap with specs that worked at mid cornwall college for a while as well, was good on vert - cant remember his name though...was it Paul?

Hello to all, and anyone that remembers running from "Mr. Multi" from St. Austell Multi storey car park :D

gosh - so many people and so many memories all flooding back now- would be cool if any of the old St. Austell lot showed up on here.

p.s. What happened to Matthew Price - the freestyler from Truro? (sponsored by vision at one point I think?)
User avatar
Crispin
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:59 am
Location: Kernow

Postby Alec » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:49 pm

Crispin wrote:


Remember a blonde haired chap with specs that worked at mid cornwall college for a while as well, was good on vert - cant remember his name though...was it Paul?



Sound like anyone we know? T? :wink:
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a
 
Posts: 8052
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:20 pm
Location: Surrey

Postby slick63 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:22 am

Went to Plymouth skatepark loads of times in the late `70s, got interested again mid `80s and took in Millendreath (weird halfpipe, cool mini bowl) and Holywell Bay (great park). Discovered the little park in Helston in 2003 and got interested again, with a possible house exchange from Swindon (no park) to Penzance (new park) in the offing, might see some of you down there :D
User avatar
slick63
smell of grip tape
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:34 pm
Location: Penzance

Postby Trevenen » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:05 pm

Alec wrote:
Crispin wrote:


Remember a blonde haired chap with specs that worked at mid cornwall college for a while as well, was good on vert - cant remember his name though...was it Paul?



Sound like anyone we know? T? :wink:

Errrrrr, might be, yes I did actually work at Mid Cornwall COllege for a while.... I deny being any good on vert though! :D
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
User avatar
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE
 
Posts: 9410
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Plymouth

Postby Trevenen » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:06 pm

slick63 wrote:Went to Plymouth skatepark loads of times in the late `70s, got interested again mid `80s and took in Millendreath (weird halfpipe, cool mini bowl) and Holywell Bay (great park). Discovered the little park in Helston in 2003 and got interested again, with a possible house exchange from Swindon (no park) to Penzance (new park) in the offing, might see some of you down there :D

Excellent - get in touch if it comes together... :D
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
User avatar
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE
 
Posts: 9410
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Plymouth

Postby slick63 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:49 pm

Looks like the move will go ahead in about 3-4 weeks, went to Penzance park last week to have a look, wish I`d took my board now! :roll:
Goofy foot gremlin
User avatar
slick63
smell of grip tape
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:34 pm
Location: Penzance

Postby Trevenen » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:13 pm

Nice one, another one joins the Cornwall Concrete Crew! :D
Look forward to hooking up. :wink:
I suppose that might have been me you were talking about, I am called Paul, blond hair and spex, did skate vert a bit back then (but good? :? ) where would that have been? :? Crantock I suppose, yeah I skated that a fair bit as it was close to me. EDIT - sorry that was someone else saying that - ignore senile old man.
Whereabouts are you moving to, did you say? Sorry... Ah yes Penzance, you lucky bugger! :D
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
User avatar
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE
 
Posts: 9410
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Plymouth

Postby Alec » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:39 am

Trevenen wrote:Nice one, another one joins the Cornwall Concrete Crew! :D
Look forward to hooking up. :wink:
I suppose that might have been me you were talking about, I am called Paul, blond hair and spex, did skate vert a bit back then (but good? :? ) where would that have been? :? Crantock I suppose, yeah I skated that a fair bit as it was close to me. EDIT - sorry that was someone else saying that - ignore senile old man.
Whereabouts are you moving to, did you say? Sorry... Ah yes Penzance, you lucky bugger! :D


You're losing it :lol:
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a
 
Posts: 8052
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:20 pm
Location: Surrey

Postby Trevenen » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:30 am

What the hell was 'it'? :?

I forgot. :oops:
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
User avatar
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE
 
Posts: 9410
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Plymouth

Postby slick63 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:00 pm

Finally, I`m moving to Penzance on Sunday. Hope the weather stays good :D
Goofy foot gremlin
User avatar
slick63
smell of grip tape
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:34 pm
Location: Penzance

Postby Trevenen » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:17 pm

Nice one. I am away for the Blackpool mini jam but there's a chance i could skate ummm next week maybe Tuesday onwards (if I'm not broken again!)
Get in touch when you're settled in - post in the "Cornwall Sessions" thread and we'll come out to play. :wink:
Don't the clocks change soon? Evening sessions beckon...
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
User avatar
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE
 
Posts: 9410
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Plymouth

Postby Alec » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:23 am

Trevenen wrote:Don't the clocks change soon? Evening sessions beckon...


26th, don't forget to change time settings on the forum to summer time.
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a
 
Posts: 8052
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:20 pm
Location: Surrey

Postby Trevenen » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:37 am

Alec wrote:
Trevenen wrote:Don't the clocks change soon? Evening sessions beckon...


26th, don't forget to change time settings on the forum to summer time.

Bloody hell! Outgeeked! :shock:

:twisted:
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
User avatar
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE
 
Posts: 9410
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Plymouth

Re: Fond memories of 70's skateparks in the South West

Postby BWR » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:03 am

This is great! I realise I'm replying to a thread that's already 10 years old but nevertheless I was hugely excited to see that somebody else (PJ) remembers that ELO's Mr Blue Sky was the main song to be heard at the Wadebridge bowl. I can't hear Mr Blue Sky without thinking of that place and it was hearing it tonight that made me Google "Wadebridge skatepark" and hence stumble upon this forum!

I think the first bowl (didn't we used to call them "bowls"? Didn't "skatepark" come later?) I went to was the one at Watergate Bay. I was in heaven there. I might as well have been in California. There was a little shop close to the beach that sold items I'd only previously seen in the American magazines made by companies like G&S, Sims, Tracker, etc.

As well as that one and Wadebridge, I went to Polkyth (does anybody else remember the plywood half-pipe with a big hole at the bottom on one side? That was fun!) and Holywell. Bodmin was a complete disaster - totally unusable and I still feel annoyed about that wasted opportunity! I went to Plymouth once with my dad but was too intimidated by the local talent to actually skate. I also went to a place in Exmouth once with my cousin and that was great. All in all Holywell was my favourite of the places I went to regularly.

The board I ended up with was an Alva deck with Lazer trucks (too narrow really but I couldn't afford the super-wide ones that came out later) and Alva wheels (although the YoYos I had before were probably better). I gave it to some kids here in Tottenham several years ago but I know it would not have been as important to them as it was to me.

Very happy days - some shared no doubt with you!
BWR
I'm too scared to post more
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:35 pm

Re: Fond memories of 70's skateparks in the South West

Postby Drsplib » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:53 am

I rode Polkyth a bit, coming from St Austell - have to say it was utter shit tho!

The multi storey in St Austell had a great kerb for a few years, till it fell apart. Skated that daily for several years. And the free-standing kerb down the hill that you could rail slide for ~100 yards.

Think its been said on here before, but if anyone has any photos of The Humps - legendary St Austell spot sadly no longer skate able - would love to see them. That was the most fun I ever had on a board.

Andrew.
Cornwall and West London Fat Bastard

"the more people I meet, the more I love my dog."
User avatar
Drsplib
I skateboard
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:47 pm
Location: Cornwall on weekends, West London weekdays

Re: Fond memories of 70's skateparks in the South West

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Drsplib wrote:I rode Polkyth a bit, coming from St Austell - have to say it was utter shit tho!.Andrew.


Amen
tip toeing through the tulips

http://lyricalwaxing.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Ben
I need a LIFE!
 
Posts: 1725
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: Faraway North Devon

Re: Fond memories of 70's skateparks in the South West

Postby Trevenen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:04 am

Rode it once myself and can't remember anything apart from not wanting to go back. ;-)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
User avatar
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE
 
Posts: 9410
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Plymouth

Re: Fond memories of 70's skateparks in the South West

Postby Benny » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:39 am

The indoor skaeboard centre in exmouth was near the station and was built inside old train repair warehouse next to station. Had one main bowl, freestyle area and small half bowl for beginners. If you skated the main bowl i wonder if anyone remembers a little edition it had that was quite scary.
User avatar
Benny
skate skate skate
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Weston Super Mare - England


Return to Mostly Over The Hill Skaters