Getting all fanboy over Mike V

If you wanna tell the shredders about your site, post it here please

Getting all fanboy over Mike V

Postby Beigebomber » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 am

Over the course of recovering from a pretty nasty injury, I kept watching the Elephant Skateboards video 'I Will Not Be Broken'. Before I got injured I thought it was a bit up its own arse - all that defiant loner rebel stuff, with Ben Harper wailing on about not being broken etc.

Funny how an injury makes you all sentimental and soppy. When I was in a lot of pain and forcing myself to go out and push my board around, I got into the habit of watching that video when I finished each session. All I can say is that I wasn't sniggering at the over-the-top drama of it all any more.

Then after about the hundredth time of watching it, I decided that it's actually a really good video clip.

Anyway, as a financially-laughable dayjob, I write for and edit a little online e-zine. We don't usually cover anything as sporty as skating, but I decided to make an exception for such an interesting vid and snuck it into our 'culture' section.

It's a bit of a verbose froth-fest, and it's not written for an audience of skaters, but it might interest some of you lot.

http://www.trebuchet-magazine.com/mike-vallely/
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Re: Getting all fanboy over Mike V

Postby Hagwag » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:12 am

I'm loving that. Like the tune in the vid. Kinda ethereal...

;)
Last edited by Hagwag on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Beigebomber » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:35 pm

I am aware of what you've just done. Grr....
(Note the 4-dot ellipsis.)
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Beigebomber » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:18 pm

JUST GOT A THANK YOU EMAIL FROM MIKE V!

Day. Made.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Hagwag » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Sweet
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Beigebomber » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Except that he misused a 3-dot ellipsis. No really, he did.
Fuck. My. Life.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Jase » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:25 pm

A wonderfully written piece, I always enjoyed the video and text accompanies it well.

Some other interesting articles on the site as well.
Jase
Bigger Geek

Postby Beigebomber » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:53 am

Thanks Jase, very kind of you to say so.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Kuell » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:30 am

I really like that video and I liked the write up a lot. That is also my style of writing, I tend to get verbose on the reviews I write for a bunch of music blogs.
Kuell
I skateboard

Postby j roach » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:22 pm

Great article, it makes a pleasant change to read something well written and properly punctuated.....

The third paragraph is interesting. I had a pointless internet argument just yesterday with somebody who claimed that the musical mashup was a dumbing down of culture which signalled the approaching collapse of civilisation (or words to that effect).

I also enjoy the Mike V clip much more with the theme music from The Littlest Hobo playing. One dog (and his film crew) against the mean capitalist streets.
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby Beigebomber » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:54 pm

j roach wrote:I also enjoy the Mike V clip much more with the theme music from The Littlest Hobo playing. One dog (and his film crew) against the mean capitalist streets.

I know the term 'LOL' has come to mean very little, but that idea genuinely has me laughing to the point of tears. Brilliant! :mrgreen:

Yeah, when I was writing it, I was thinking 'but he's brought a filmcrew', which is why I stuck in the line at the end about 'artifice'.

On mashups/digital culture - there's still a human element - it's still creation. From a cultural perspective (proper distribution of royalties/credits is another argument entirely) there's no reason a mashup shouldn't be seen as valid composition. They certainly display more creative input than Marcel Duchamp (or was it Jean Arp?) drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa. Which is now embraced by the art establishment as a significant artwork (as it should be).
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby popspurnell » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:39 pm

Read your article the other day mate, didn't get time to let you know i did.
thought it was great (also it's hard not to be a mike V fan boy)

if someone has shown him this i would have been surprised if he hadn't said thanks.

top work.
popspurnell
I skateboard

Postby Alec » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:24 am

I'm loving it...

Has an almost ethereal feel to it...
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby Mr J » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:16 am

I saw the article during the week. Coincidentally my last task of that day had been to help my boss construct some prose to be sent to a customer in the form of email. An artifice requiring carefully chosen words designed to shift blame away from our product. A subject matter so dry that I have already said too much to maintain interest. Unfortunately this last and tedious task had numbed my brain to the point where it was unable to succumb to the eloquence of something more artful and I was unable to finish the Trebuchet magazine article :(

However in a more relaxed mood this weekend I lay back on my ikea sofa and stared up at the post modern industrial concrete ceiling. Whether such a stark ceiling surface has achieved what the designer of the block of flats intended is open to disputation. Regardless under the ethereal glow of my naff chandeliers it provides ephemeral visions of a high quality skatepark floor. Thus suitably mentally primed I revisited the article. Actually I was determined to revisit. There was the concern that if an article on Mike Vallely by a skilled author who knew what he was talking about failed to absorb my interest then I was in danger of becoming a male version of one of those fur clad ogresses who reads Hello Magazine.

Great article Sean, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting :D

In case you are wondering I do have a concrete ceiling. The naff chandeliers...
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Beigebomber » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:35 am

Mr J wrote:Regardless under the ethereal glow
Gah, everyone's doing it - imma change my author bio

Mr J wrote:visions of a high quality skatepark floor
Yeah, I know that feeling. Stuck on my back in the operating theatre when they were screwing my leg back together I remember gawping at am upside-down ledge that I was mentally skating the whole time.

Bloody boring. Wish they'd let you bring a book.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Mr J » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:42 am

Beigebomber wrote:
Mr J wrote:Regardless under the ethereal glow
Gah, everyone's doing it - imma change my author bio

its only us, we are a fairly niche forum so I think you can safely keep it ;) An explanation on the correct and incorrect way to use 3 dot ellipses would be great.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Beigebomber » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:32 am

Ah, 3 or 4 dot ellipses....

Quite logical when it's pointed out: three dots if the pause denoted is in the middle of a sentence, and doesn't actually change it to a new sentence.
Four dots if the ellipses actually finish the sentence. The fourth dot is, in effect, a full stop, doing what a full stop does.

Examples:

The drop went fine, but when I went for the kickturn, crack... the deck broke under me. (Same sentence, so only three dots needed.)

Twas on the bridge at midnight, her lips were all a-quiver.... (End of sentence, but with ellipses suggesting further info to come)
She gave a cough, her leg fell off.
And floated down the river.

That's my understanding of it anyway. I'm fine with ellipses, but awful with semicolons.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Hagwag » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks for pointing that out. I shall now be a 3 and 4 dot Nazi and get thoroughly annoyed whenever the wrong one is used
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby HarryR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:32 pm

Hmm... surely an ellipsis indicates that there is something to follow? If the fourth dot effectively terminates the sentence isn't a four dot ellipsis a contradiction?
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby HarryR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:34 pm

Here's a good one for all you grammar Nazis:

Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Beigebomber » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am

Harry Ramsden wrote:Hmm... surely an ellipsis indicates that there is something to follow? If the fourth dot effectively terminates the sentence isn't a four dot ellipsis a contradiction?

Hmm, but then, surely a full stop is (often) a contradiction too. Since it indicates that the sentence has stopped, there shouldn't be anything else to follow, but there's quite often another sentence, and another, etc.

I think maybe the four-dot ellipses denote that the flow of information trails off, or is left unfinished, rather than that there is more to come... otherwise there'd be no need for a new sentence.

Anyway, um, bearings suck, scooters are evil, punk's not dead, er, green wheels are fastest, banter....
Look over there! HOVERCRAFT!
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Mr J » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:21 am

Harry Ramsden wrote:Hmm... surely an ellipsis indicates that there is something to follow? If the fourth dot effectively terminates the sentence isn't a four dot ellipsis a contradiction?

If we take the meaning that it means we are quoting material and omitting words:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ ... lipsis.htm

Then a 4 dot ellipsis would mean that the first 3 dots indicate words omitted at the end of the sentence and then the fourth dot would be the full stop after the omitted words.

I take your point that ellipsis at the end of a sentence are frequently used to indicate something unspecified follows (that is left to the imagination of the reader, or implied). However I suppose if that something unspecified is in the middle of post then we would need to distinguish between words missed out in the middle of a sentence and something unspecified follows.

e.g.
something horrible was about to happen…. Later on in the day....

All sorts of horrible things happened, there were nasty slams … seized bearings.

Hmm, now I have looked back at those examples it's obvious in the first quote that the first set of ellipsis are at the end of a sentence because the following sentence starts with a capital letter. Nevertheless it's not correct. Forums are a bit different from novels as posts are short so maybe the forum rules could be extended to:
All posts and opinions expressed in the discussion forums are those of the individual(s) posting them. Middle-Age-Shred (also know as MAS) will not be held responsible for … three dot ellipsis without a following full stop must not be used at the end of a sentence unless it is the very last sentence in the post. You can swear as much as you like though.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby xman2001 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Mr J wrote:I saw the article during the week. Coincidentally my last task of that day had been to help my boss construct some prose to be sent to a customer in the form of email. An artifice requiring carefully chosen words designed to shift blame away from our product. A subject matter so dry that I have already said too much to maintain interest. Unfortunately this last and tedious task had numbed my brain to the point where it was unable to succumb to the eloquence of something more artful and I was unable to finish the Trebuchet magazine article :(

However in a more relaxed mood this weekend I lay back on my ikea sofa and stared up at the post modern industrial concrete ceiling. Whether such a stark ceiling surface has achieved what the designer of the block of flats intended is open to disputation. Regardless under the ethereal glow of my naff chandeliers it provides ephemeral visions of a high quality skatepark floor. Thus suitably mentally primed I revisited the article. Actually I was determined to revisit. There was the concern that if an article on Mike Vallely by a skilled author who knew what he was talking about failed to absorb my interest then I was in danger of becoming a male version of one of those fur clad ogresses who reads Hello Magazine.

Great article Sean, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting :D

In case you are wondering I do have a concrete ceiling. The naff chandeliers...

f$$k the boring sematic punctation below this has to be one of the funnest posts ever on MAS Mr J I salute you :D
xman2001
I got new wheels

Postby Mr J » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:12 am

xman2001 wrote:
Mr J wrote:...

f$$k the boring sematic punctation below this has to be one of the funnest posts ever on MAS Mr J I salute you :D

:D
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Return to Links, etc