Wakefield Skatepark Pictures

Got a project in your area? Need some advice on planning/funding/design etc?
Guests can post here.

Wakefield Skatepark Pictures

Postby HarryR » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Went to the Wakey site this morning to check on progress having discovered that construction started on 21st July (last Monday). Well, "construction" so far consists of the erection of some fencing and placing a couple of containers on site. I guess that's progress though.

It certainly looks good According to the sign it's expected to take 14 weeks:

Plenty for everyone :)

I'm a bit worried about this though. Firstly it's being run by Wakefield Council's Parks and Bereavement Services - presumably they're expecting some deaths! Also, I would like to know where they're going with the idea of having Graffiti Artists Workshops - surely they can't be thinking of painting that pristine new concrete when it's finished?

Here's the site back in March this year:

And here it is today after a week's "construction":

I'll try and pay regular visits to keep abreast of developments.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby ST » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Overt Pennines is a virtual 'new skatepark' fest lately...:lol:

...'lakin ont corsey edge' to Yorkshire a must these days.
I'll keep me anorak eye on this :lol:
Esto es un sitio de monopatín, para personas que van en monopatín a sí mismo regularmente.
ST
SHOOT ME!

Wakefield Skate Park Has A Digger

Postby HarryR » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:23 pm

There's a digger on site now and signs of movement.

Looks like they've got the drainage sussed - this goes into the main sewer

HarryR
anorak alert

Postby ST » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:28 pm

keep it up harry :wink: :arrow: nice one
Esto es un sitio de monopatín, para personas que van en monopatín a sí mismo regularmente.
ST
SHOOT ME!

Postby HarryR » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:43 pm

A few more pictures taken this morning: -

HarryR
anorak alert

Postby HarryR » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:37 pm

This is coming along really nicely now. They seem to be focussing on the main transition stuff first.

I think this is gonna be my favourite bit. Looks to be about 6-7ft in the deep end and 4-5ft in the shallow end. Coping is in position for the deep end and it looks like it might actually be vert, which is nice.

HarryR
anorak alert

Postby ST » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:54 pm

Nice one again Harry...one in the eye for the southerners :lol:
looks like its going to be a bowl fest :wink:

suprised Tim CVK and all the yokshire possy havent been on here :shock: :?

....keep the good work up fellah...the Lancs/Mancs will be invading shortly :lol:
ST
SHOOT ME!

Postby TimWalker » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:02 pm

our beady eyes are on it.... :shock:
I haven't finished yet.
TimWalker
Rather Splendid Chap

Postby Plank » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:39 am

Mini bowl. awesome. at last something for me to practice on. yeeeeeeehaaaaaaw.
Plank
anorak alert

Postby JellyHead » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:18 am

ST wrote:Nice one again Harry...one in the eye for the southerners :lol:

Bike fest more like :lol:

Don't you go worrying about us Southerner's ST bro...... :wink: :lol: :twisted:
JellyHead
SHOOT ME!

Postby ChrisK » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:53 pm

Only an hour away. :D
Chris K - a man basking in his own awesomeness but considering basking in his own epicness and now literally a legend.
ChrisK
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby Cas Vegas Karl » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:28 pm

ST wrote:Nice one again Harry...one in the eye for the southerners :lol:

suprised Tim CVK and all the yokshire possy havent been on here :shock: :?

....keep the good work up fellah...the Lancs/Mancs will be invading shortly :lol:

I posted a while ago in the skateparks or bowl bit with details. Dont you worry i will be there as soon as the concrete is dry and this bloody monsoon stops. :wink:
If you didnt wear a fedora you weren't really there!
Cas Vegas Karl
SHOOT ME!

Postby HarryR » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:14 pm

A couple more pics from yesterday.

I reckon the groundworks will be finished in a week or so and some serious concrete will be going down.

On sidewalk forum there was a bit more info about this bowl - it will be 7' in the deep end, 5' in the middle getting gradually shallower to the opposite end. Looks like the concrete is ready to go here.

HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Cas Vegas Karl » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Took a trip to Thornes park today the parks really coming on they are laying the rough blanding coat of concrete. Thats the layer that sets the the transition shape its going well the recent dry weather has helped. I spoke to one of the contractors and he even showed me round the site and explained there process. They are the same contractors that gravity used for Hull and Brid so they have plenty of experience they seem to really no the score they say it should be finished in 8 weeks.
Cas Vegas Karl
SHOOT ME!

Postby ST » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:41 pm

:shock: 8) :wink: :arrow:
Image...be reight :wink:
ST
SHOOT ME!

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:15 am

Cas Vegas Karl wrote:its going well the recent dry weather has helped.

What dry weather :?
Andy
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby HarryR » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:52 pm

Andy wrote:
Cas Vegas Karl wrote:its going well the recent dry weather has helped.

What dry weather :?

It's been pretty decent here in Yorkshire Pudding land these past few days. I think we might even be having an indian summer.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby HarryR » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:19 pm

Well, despite the spell of dry weather, progress seems to have been a little slow this past week. I was expecting to see things move on more than they have.

There was no appreciable progress with the remaining groundworks and the rough concreting has only been started on the top bowl and extended slightly on the bottom bowl.

Here's a couple more pics from yesterday. (sorry if the views are getting a bit repetitive but it's not possible to get on to the site at the weekend - without ripping the fence down that is :wink: )

HarryR
anorak alert

Wakefield Skate Park

Postby thegedman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Just to let everyone know, progress is good on the park and on schedule! lets hope the weather holds for us!
A request guys, please dont go onto the site and risk anything going wrong after 5 years hard work!!!! Be patient it will be well worth the wait!
AND FINALLY ---- ITS NOT A COUNCIL PROJECT
I should know..... I'm Chairman of Wakefield Skate
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Re: Wakefield Skate Park

Postby HarryR » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:07 pm

thegedman wrote:Just to let everyone know, progress is good on the park and on schedule! lets hope the weather holds for us!
A request guys, please dont go onto the site and risk anything going wrong after 5 years hard work!!!! Be patient it will be well worth the wait!
AND FINALLY ---- ITS NOT A COUNCIL PROJECT
I should know..... I'm Chairman of Wakefield Skate

Good to hear from somebody who's actually involved with the project and to know that it's on track. Sorry if I sound impatient but it's exciting now that we can see something tangible. I hope we have the longest Indian summer in history so that there's chance to skate it before the weather gets crap.

Don't worry I won't be trying to get into the site at all (although I will confess to sneaking in briefly a couple of weeks ago when the fence was down - which I immediately regretted due to the mud :wink: )

Keep up the good work. :D
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby thegedman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:08 am

I'll do my best to keep up the good work, although alot of credit has to go to the fantastic team that I have managed to pull together to get it as far as it has! All of them will be given the credit they deserve once we are up and running! Just out of interest are you the Guy I met down on the site the other sunday taking the photo's? Ged
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Postby HarryR » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:37 pm

thegedman wrote:Just out of interest are you the Guy I met down on the site the other sunday taking the photo's? Ged

No, that wasn't me, I've not seen anybody else when I've been there. Maybe it was Karl Vegas?

By the way, seeing as you're involved in this project, can you clarify what the intention is with the graffiti artist workshops that are mentioned on the sign. There's another thread on here somewhere where most people seem to think that it would be a non-starter if the skate surfaces were to be painted. It's not clear if that is the intention or whether some alternative "canvas" is being proposed. Any idea?
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby thegedman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:40 pm

No its definately not the skate surfaces that are planned to be painted after further consultation, but we are looking at the possibility of putting a graffiti art area up if we can fund it and maintain it. We are about to talk to the college and Leeds met about a co-ordinated project, but we will have to see. No it definately wasn't Karl!
With regard to other topics involving the wakefield park, haven't got time to search all the site or sites so if you are aware of any other conversation areas on the site could you copy the link in and i will look at them and if can respond accordingly.
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Postby HarryR » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:08 pm

thegedman wrote:No its definately not the skate surfaces that are planned to be painted after further consultation,

That's good to know 8)

thegedman wrote:With regard to other topics involving the wakefield park, haven't got time to search all the site or sites so if you are aware of any other conversation areas on the site could you copy the link in and i will look at them and if can respond accordingly.

These are links to other topics that mention the Wakefield site (some of them have links to similar topics on Sidewalk Magazine forum): -

http://middle-age-shred.com/phpBB2_v2/v ... hp?t=14357

http://middle-age-shred.com/phpBB2_v2/v ... hp?t=14208

http://middle-age-shred.com/phpBB2_v2/v ... hp?t=12688

http://middle-age-shred.com/phpBB2_v2/v ... hp?t=12687

http://middle-age-shred.com/phpBB2_v2/v ... hp?t=11818
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Ian C » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:58 pm

coming along nicely :wink: how deep is the bowl at the far end ? and just how far is wakefield from Manchester :D

Stonehenge is the only clock you can see from space ..unless you have a clock in your spaceship
Ian C
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby HarryR » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:03 pm

Ian C wrote:coming along nicely :wink: how deep is the bowl at the far end ? and just how far is wakefield from Manchester :D

At a guess I would say it is about 7' deep, maybe 8' - Perhaps thegedman can confirm?

As for distance from Manchester - according to Multimap it's 41 miles / 58 Minutes.

The site is very accessible from the Motorway, a mile or so from J40 of the M1
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby thegedman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:32 pm

thegedman is happy to and can confirm the following - the bowl consists of 3 levels, the shallow entry pool has a maximum depth of 3', it then leads into a mid section with a depth of 5', the final part of the bowl has a drop in height from the coping of 7'.
I trust that gives the answer to the question and does actually confirm to people that Iam working from the plans, but sorry folks no more details as the plans in full are not yet out there even on Sidewalk... are you listening Ben!!!! Moon Crater and all that!!! :wink:
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Postby ST » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:58 pm

Gonna do this place on Fridays when it's sorted me thinks...makes a change from the Tetley Tea Folk doin the Yorkshire to Lancashire thing...that frontside air looks the bolloxs arry :shock: ...I just tick-tak :lol:

...more pics..need a fix :lol:
ST
SHOOT ME!

Postby HarryR » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:01 pm

thegedman wrote:thegedman is happy to and can confirm the following - the bowl consists of 3 levels, the shallow entry pool has a maximum depth of 3', it then leads into a mid section with a depth of 5', the final part of the bowl has a drop in height from the coping of 7'.
I trust that gives the answer to the question and does actually confirm to people that Iam working from the plans, but sorry folks no more details as the plans in full are not yet out there even on Sidewalk... are you listening Ben!!!! Moon Crater and all that!!! :wink:

Thanks. How about the bowl at the bottom of the park, how deep is that going to be?

Cheers
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby HarryR » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:15 pm

ST wrote:Gonna do this place on Fridays when it's sorted me thinks...makes a change from the Tetley Tea Folk doin the Yorkshire to Lancashire thing...that frontside air looks the bolloxs arry :shock: ...I just tick-tak :lol:

...more pics..need a fix :lol:

Seems like there's a lot of MASers who have Fridays free. Wish I could work a four day week.

I've been practising the F/S airs - did you notice that I was sporting the MAS 'Indy' T Shirt, helps me go higher :wink:

Will be making weekly pic visits from now on. Shots strictly through the fence only though :roll:
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby HarryR » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:10 am

Here's another question for Ged if he doesn't mind picking it up: -

When the park is finished, how is it going to be run, managed and maintained? You mentioned that it will be free and open to all which is fantastic, but that may present some challenges if "all" means indolent chavs with no interest in skating. Is the park going to be fenced in and patrolled?

I was just reading an article, linked to from another thread on here about the Braunton bowl in devon, which prompted me to think about this: -
http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/braunton/Braunton-skatebowl-locked-bad-behaviour/article-318647-detail/article.html

If the new Wakey facility is not properly managed it could result in similar problems. I'm sure you've thought about all of this already and that it's been considered as part of the planning application?

Cheers
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby thegedman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:42 pm

I'll stipulate again.... The park is open to everyone and realising I'm on a skate forum feel I must also point out that other groups may well get fed up with the skate fraternity invading other areas of towns and city's that are not necessarily designed for skating!!! (that is said at risk of life and limb i understand!)... The skate park is in a public park, it is NOT going to be fenced in any way, it is going to be landscaped so as not to be intrusive in the landscape and not all people that use the park are out to cause damage... The Park will be managed and the management group of Wakefield Skate are fully aware of issues etc.... But I might also suggest that with all due respect, Wakefield Skate Park will be attracting people on a far bigger scale than the village bowl in Devon and so usage and occupancy will be greater... No offence... And last but by no means least... Skaters of any age have shock horror been known to break into skate parks whilst under construction (an illegal activity) to either photograph or skate before the project is complete!!!!
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Postby thegedman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:44 pm

Also what bowl at the bottom of the park?
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Postby burt cokain » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:58 pm

thegedman wrote:I'll stipulate again.... The park is open to everyone and realising I'm on a skate forum feel I must also point out that other groups may well get fed up with the skate fraternity invading other areas of towns and city's that are not necessarily designed for skating!!! (that is said at risk of life and limb i understand!)... The skate park is in a public park, it is NOT going to be fenced in any way, it is going to be landscaped so as not to be intrusive in the landscape and not all people that use the park are out to cause damage... The Park will be managed and the management group of Wakefield Skate are fully aware of issues etc.... But I might also suggest that with all due respect, Wakefield Skate Park will be attracting people on a far bigger scale than the village bowl in Devon and so usage and occupancy will be greater... No offence... And last but by no means least... Skaters of any age have shock horror been known to break into skate parks whilst under construction (an illegal activity) to either photograph or skate before the project is complete!!!!

I don't think there's too many on here 'invading other areas of towns and cities' or will break into a park to skate it before it's opened.

The point is that unless you have taken specific steps to keep scum away (supervision, CCTV, links with police etc) then chavs WILL hang around the park harassing legitimate users, scaring people away and fulfilling the stereotypes of what happens at skateparks (IE youths hanging around drinking and causing trouble) which leads to friction with the local community and parks being closed down. With Wakefield being a larger town than Braunton and presumably home to a far higher number of scumbags then this a greater issue for you rather than lesser. If you haven't at least got CCTV then there will be trouble.
burt cokain

Postby thegedman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:03 pm

I appreciate what you are saying and unfortunately we cannot play big brother and I dont intend to get into a forum arguement about this subject, as I'm sure you are all fully paid up responsible citizens etc.. All I'm saying is that there are an awful lot of people out there who are like minded and those that aren't will be dealt with by the appropriate authorities and the measures that are in place! And actually there are photographs that have been placed on another couple of forums that have been taken inside the building site already, where, shall we say, the photographers were not invited guests and actually there is one admission already on MAS that someone had been onsite uninvited. But hey I'm just trying to protect what we are doing here, as I appreciate you are, so lets look on the positive and anticipate a great park shall we! :D
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Postby TimWalker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 pm

There are loads of skate bullies and skate mafia on here if you need bouncers! :lol:

That's defo going to be my Friday jaunt from November! :wink:
I haven't finished yet.
TimWalker
Rather Splendid Chap

Postby HarryR » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:44 am

thegedman wrote:And actually there are photographs that have been placed on another couple of forums that have been taken inside the building site already, where, shall we say, the photographers were not invited guests and actually there is one admission already on MAS that someone had been onsite uninvited. But hey I'm just trying to protect what we are doing here, as I appreciate you are, so lets look on the positive and anticipate a great park shall we! :D

Yes, I have admitted that I entered the site to take a photograph. I wish to point out that I did not 'break into' the site, the fence was already down and I merely stepped inside for no more than a couple of minutes to take a picture and then left. I didn't go wandering around trampling all over the place. I did not, and have no intention of causing any damage whatsover. My motivation was simply a result of keen interest in what is happening there and I apologise unreservedly if my brief intrusion has offended you or caused any problems in any way. It won't happen again.

I realise that this project is a labour of love for you and that you have clearly put many years of dedicated effort into bringing this skate park to fruition. Your efforts are to be applauded and skaters, bladers, BMXers for miles around are indebted to you for delivering what will undoubtedly be a successful project.

Most people on here appreciate and share your desire to protect what you're achieving with the project. I agree that the facility "will be attracting people on a far bigger scale than the village bowl in Devon and so usage and occupancy will be greater". Certainly, whilst the park is in use it will be a thriving positive place to be, where like-minded people can enjoy their favourite recreation.

My fear is that when all the shiney happy people are tucked up in bed at home, the chavs, smackheads and other assorted scumbags who don't give a shit about skating or any other similar activity, will simply descend on the place and do what the hell they like. I agree with Burt that there is potentially a bigger problem than there is with the 'village bowl'. It WILL almost certainly be a magnet for these people and if that happens there will be very little that can be done protect it in spite of your efforts and anyone else who's intentions are honourable.

I sincerely hope for everyone's sake that my fears are not realised.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby ST » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:08 am

It's not people on here you need to worry about fellah, most on here have the very best intentions for the park...I'd worry about...
Fencing, lighting and cctv...this is going to ultimately protect your park (when it's finished of course) I don't know if you've got that in mind?..hope so, would be a shame to see all your plans and hard work be left to some chavs with spray cans...it's weird how Hayle and Penzance don't have this problem?
ST
SHOOT ME!

Postby ChrisK » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:03 pm

My fear is that when all the shiney happy people are tucked up in bed at home, the chavs, smackheads and other assorted scumbags who don't give a shit about skating or any other similar activity, will simply descend on the place and do what the hell they like. I agree with Burt that there is potentially a bigger problem than there is with the 'village bowl'. It WILL almost certainly be a magnet for these people and if that happens there will be very little that can be done protect it in spite of your efforts and anyone else who's intentions are honourable.

This became a major prob at Radcliffe until the Police began to descend on the place every Fri and Sat night. Skateparks do seem to be magnets for the local twats to congregate.
Chris K - a man basking in his own awesomeness but considering basking in his own epicness and now literally a legend.
ChrisK

Postby HarryR » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Just returned from Wakefield with some more pictures.

The first thing to point out is that the site fence is down again. This presumably happened overnight after site closed yesterday and those people that won't cause trouble after everyone's gone home aren't responsible for pushing it over, in the same way that they wont graffiti the place and break glass etc when the park is eventually open. And no, I didn't enter the site. All the pictures were taken from the safety of outside the perimeter fence, down or not.

Perfect skating weather by the way - shame it's not finished already 8)

HarryR
anorak alert

Postby thegedman » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks for the info re the site, been on to contractor already and the site security is being addressed as we speak!
It would appear that this is an attempt to nick steel etc..
Ged
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Postby Cas Vegas Karl » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:24 am

Ged I think as has been pointed the people on this site are the least of your problems. I dont know if the name has given it away but most of us on here are in our 40's and have spent years skating. As far as the park usage goes I have been to loads of skateparks that become no go areas due to Chav's to suggest that cider swilling violent idiots have a ligitamate right to use the park is plain daft. If there is no fence and no security there will be a burning car in the bowl within 3 mths thats just the way Britain is. I know you've worked hard for this and i hate to say it if you think providing the local scum bags with a skatepark is going to turn them in to skaters and not haters your sadly mistaken. I just dont want to see another park that kids are scared to use. Please dont take this as a personal slight but you do seem to have a slightly confrontational attitude with the kind of people that will respect your park and do there best to keep it a usable space. I know that when a few of us turn up at a park the chavs usually piss off and i personally think thats a good thing.
Cas Vegas Karl
SHOOT ME!

Postby Trevenen » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:11 am

ST wrote:would be a shame to see all your plans and hard work be left to some chavs with spray cans...it's weird how Hayle and Penzance don't have this problem?

I've seen the scum invasion countless times on the many projects I've been involved in. They usually get bored and drift away after a while. Particularly if the people using the place just get on with having fun and DON'T let the troublemakers get a rise out of you. If they aren't having any fun there then they'll move on. (Worth trying to encourage them to have a go though, they might actually like it! :roll:)

On the subject of graffiti, Hayle and Penzance have a very strong anti-graffiti stance, both the users of the parks and the council. The council (same district council for both parks) are red hot on graffiti, as soon as it's reported someone will be along to clean it off. That way anyone tempted to take time and effort tagging it will find their hard work only lasts a few days at most.

Also all the users of both parks have been anti-paint from day one. I know for a fact that anyone stupic enough to try painting the bowl while anyone is there riding would probably end up with the paint sprayed all over themselves (if they are lucky, a paint can up their ass if they are unlucky. :twisted:)

Even a small (waist-high) fence with gates around the site will help, it won't restrict proper users but will prevent the sort of recklessness that Karl mentioned. A burning car in a bowl may sound ridiculous but it has happened. :evil:
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Postby HarryR » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:04 pm

Trevenen wrote:On the subject of graffiti, Hayle and Penzance have a very strong anti-graffiti stance, both the users of the parks and the council. The council (same district council for both parks) are red hot on graffiti, as soon as it's reported someone will be along to clean it off. That way anyone tempted to take time and effort tagging it will find their hard work only lasts a few days at most.

This sort of strategy sounds like the way forward to me. I wonder how the strategy at the Wakefield site on the graffiti question will pan out? i.e. running graffiti artist workshops to paint non-skate sufaces. I'm sure it will work OK with bona fide artists, but the afore-mentioned scumbags may think that graffiti is generally condoned and go beyond what is acceptable. Give em an inch an all that...
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby bigwavedave » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:16 pm

Crawley is anti graffiti. As soon as it appears the council come and get rid of it. It is not a problem. The last efort must have taken the 'artist' quite some time. I doubt they'll bother again.

Re chavs: Lots of problems at Crawley in the beginning but it is a lot calmer now. Still get the occasional idiot but not the 30-40 strong mobs of the past intent on a ruck. Despite the park being packed with skaters and BMX types they still showed up but in greater numbers. A simple 'fuck off throwing stones in the bowl' resulted in a huge fight which the police stood and watched. We now have regular Community Warden patrols and this has helped enormously.

The fence has kept out most of the rubbish, the worst being a mattress in the bowl (but that may have been put there by TonyB after his slam :lol: ) Without the fence I am sure that a car or two would have been found in there by now.
bigwavedave
I need a LIFE!

Postby ChrisK » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:27 pm

I wonder how the strategy at the Wakefield site on the graffiti question will pan out? i.e. running graffiti artist workshops to paint non-skate sufaces. I'm sure it will work OK with bona fide artists, but the afore-mentioned scumbags may think that graffiti is generally condoned and go beyond what is acceptable. Give em an inch an all that...

This is exactly the mistake Radcliffe made. The council employed graf artists, but it simply led to all the kids joining in and the place just looks a mess now. Most graf isn't art but just nasty looking shit that makes the world look derelict and unwelcoming. Once asked a mum to stop her son writing his name across the park. 'But that's what this place is for, isn't it?' she replied.

I'd keep grafitti out of skateparks and f*ck all this 'it's part of the urban experience' crap that people think go with skating.
ChrisK

Postby HarryR » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:35 am

ChrisK wrote:I'd keep grafitti out of skateparks and f*ck all this 'it's part of the urban experience' crap that people think go with skating.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

Just been watching Stu_c's videos of California in another thread. You can't beat the look of that pristine, unspoilt white concrete gleaming in the sun.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby jon de la vibe » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:44 pm

Seriously tho', Couldn't the council launch an "Urban Gibbet Initiative". A few skate funded executions of the local bandits will soon put a stop to any nasty activities. When I used to skate in Halifax in the seventies the local Gibbet certainly put me off spay-painting and mainlining.
I must buy some more sense!
jon de la vibe
I like skateboarding

Postby thegedman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:40 pm

first of all, apologies, if i have come across as being aggressive to you, its not intended, you must also understand that i have had to overcome an awful lot of prejudices and gone through alot of battles with people to get rid of the general misconceptions people have about skaters and the sport to get this far with the project! i do appreciate that all of you on the site are older skaters and have the best intentions of the park in mind, thanks for that, but as well i have to look at all areas and aspects of the community. Secondly, Sorry folks, unfortunately we cant fence the skate park in cos of planning etc.. BUT just to prove that i do listen i will make sure the graffitti art side disappears... promise! The other thing we are in discussions with police etc. with regard to the site security and i will do my best to make sure it doesn't become a dustbin and yes your help will be greatly appreciated!!!! again sorry folks i'm just tired of battles and arguments over the last 5 years and people never actually being happy with the outcome! Another promise once its built i'm not walking away, I've got a 3 year plan in place of sports development around the park. Thanks for your help so far and as a foot note, i have invoked the clause in the build contact to provide security, which was put in place within an hour of seeing saturdays photo's of the fence, so again i do listen and act when neccessary. Ged
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Postby Cas Vegas Karl » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks for that Ged I can understand the problems youve had people in general do not understand that its generally the good kids that skate and that the non skaters that cause the problems. I am sure I speak for all the Yorkshire skaters in saying that if you need any help give us a shout. I actually live In the wakefield district so I will be skating at the park alot i just want to see it work. Is there no chance of low anti car barrier type things i just have a real concern with it being so close to the road and easy to access for cars.
keep up the good work :wink:
Cas Vegas Karl
SHOOT ME!

Postby jon de la vibe » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:57 pm

My piss taking aside. From what I've seen of the plans and the photos it really looks the business. Myself, my son and Harry (the watcher) Ramsden are well stoked over it.
Glad to read the graffitti is to be abandoned too. Busted bottles, burnt out cars and half bricks etc. they were made for the street, it's their canvass.

It has to be one of the rare occasions where you actually get the feeling there is a genuine push for the greater cause. Well done to all involved.
I must buy some more sense!
jon de la vibe
I like skateboarding

Postby thegedman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:45 pm

Thanks for the offer of help Karl, I may well be asking some of you for it in the future!!!
Also there is one good thing, as far as I'm aware the entrance to thorns park has a barrier on that is dropped after lights out, so should stop TWOC cars, being dumped and burnt out and the area is patrolled.
I'll try and keep you all up to speed.
Cheers
One Knackered Ged
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Postby thegedman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:48 pm

You would think after all this time I would know how to spell Thornes!!!!
thegedman
smell of grip tape

Postby HarryR » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:15 pm

Just been away for a couple of days and now cathing up with developments on this thread.

Thanks Ged for clarifying things, your responses are comforting.

We all want the same result and I for one would be willing to help out if there's anything I can possibly do.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby ChrisK » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:23 pm

Seems like there's a lot of MASers who have Fridays free. Wish I could work a four day week.

Best thing I ever did what with my kids and work taking up all my time, Harry.
Earn a lot less money than I could but far happier for it. Only got Thursday to go now. :wink:

Can certainly see my spending some Fridays up at this place.
ChrisK

Postby HarryR » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:05 pm

A few more pics from today

HarryR
anorak alert

Postby ST » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:19 pm

Any progress Harry? :wink:
ST
SHOOT ME!

Postby HarryR » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:50 am

Will be over there again in the morning
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby HarryR » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:52 pm

A few more pics from this morning.

At first sight it didn't look like much progress had been made. On closer inspection there was quite a bit of new 'crete down on flat areas. But, to me, it doesn't look like it'll make the 14 week completion estimate originally given (mid Nov). Judging by progress on the other Gravity project at Newton Abbott, which has overrun the original time estimate, I reckon this might be another couple of months yet.

Maybe a Christmas present for everyone, weather permitting?

HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Carl Arnfield » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:41 am

i think this will be a great park,

it might even stop the "Cloth Touchers" from coming to lanc's!!!!!

well we can hope
dont live by other peoples limitations

Carl Arnfield
I'll Take Down Youtube

Next

Return to Skatepark Building/ Design