New Skate/BMX Park Stockton-on-Tees

Got a project in your area? Need some advice on planning/funding/design etc?
Guests can post here.

New Skate/BMX Park Stockton-on-Tees

Postby Tonkee66 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 am

I am an a Project Officer (yes another one) from Stockton Councils Countryside & Greenspace team, working on a Wheeled Sports project for Preston Park, Stockton-on-Tees

The project will be a new build facility in the Park and we have funding available with a project budget of £250K- £270k we would like to provide a park that will offer challenging features for the more experienced users along with other aspects that will cater for the novice users.

We have started the project with a launch event / consultation at Preston Park on the 10th April, we had a number of Demos from Skaters/BMX’ers along with the chance to drop in and have a chat with representatives from four design and build company’s following a first stage tender process ( This has to be done as its public money and needs to go through a procurement process)

Gravity, Maverick, Bendcrete and Wheelscape are the four design and build company’s chosen to go forward with the project

Following this event we hope top get users on board to work with us on the development and have input into the final design, ensuring that we have something that will be well used and will be known for its innovative and challenging design

If anyone would like to get involved or knows anyone who does then please feel free to contact me on the details below.

I can also post updates of development of the project as it develops over the coming months if you guys are interested

Tony

Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Re: New Skate/BMX Park Stockton-on-Tees

Postby Brian S » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm glad that the title doesn't mention scooters, is that intentional, as if scooters are not allowed that is a good move, as they just mess it up for the other park users ?
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby donkeysrock » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:00 pm

"If it won't grind go faster" bill danforth
donkeysrock
I got new wheels

Postby HarryR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Brian S wrote:I'm glad that the title doesn't mention scooters, is that intentional, as if scooters are not allowed that is a good move, as they just mess it up for the other park users ?

I think that's wishful thinking Brian ;-)

It's great that there's a heads-up on this. I hope those local to this project seize the opportunity to positively influence the outcome.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Tonkee66 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, the site will be open to all users, ,but I would hope because of the budget size, that we will be able to build a facility that will cater for all users, using the design skills of the selected designer/builder along with input form the users.

We are looking to establish a user group so if anyone’s local to Stockton and wants to get involved please get in touch as we could still do with input from skateboarders, as it seems it was mostly BMX’ers that we had drop by at the launch event on the 10th

Cheers
Tony
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Tonkee66 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:06 am

Thought i would give this a Bump

We would really like any locals to get in touch and become part of the devlopment group. So if anyone's keen to be involved please get in touch
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby fribby » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:16 am

Brian S wrote:I'm glad that the title doesn't mention scooters, is that intentional, as if scooters are not allowed that is a good move, as they just mess it up for the other park users ?

Brian, that's just daft, as much as Scooters can be annoying, if it wasn't for them a whole host of parks around the country would probably hve gone bust over the last couple of years. Plus it is getting kids out doing something active rather than sat at home on facebook. Don't forget a lot of little kids on scooters do eventually see the light and start skateboarding/bmx'ing :)

Tony, I am fairly local, living over in Redcar and working near Hartlepool, so I wouldn't mind getting involved. Plus I know a few other local lads who I'm sure would have a couple of opinions.
fribby
I skateboard

Postby Tonkee66 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi fribby

You’re more than welcome to get involved, we are planning a meeting in late May where hopefully we can get a few users together and discuss the bones of a design brief.

If you would like to pm/email me your contact detail’s I can then provide you with some more information or you can always contact me on 01642 526876

Cheers
Tony
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Tonkee66 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:51 am

Hi Guys as part of the design brief for the project it has been suggested that we incorporate separate half pipe made of Skatelite. To complement the concrete Sate/BMX Park. Do guys have any opinions on this material, is it a suitable for a half pipe and is it durable and will it survive the UK weather.

I’ve had a look on the web but could do withy some real world experience of skatelite

Cheers
Tony
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Alec » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:57 am

Yeah it's good stuff, fast, durable, fire proof.

Sometimes a bit slippery due to being so smooth but made for skate ramps.

Preferable to metal or wood in my books.
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby Kitch22 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:28 am

I hope by 'Half Pipe' you Mean Mini-Ramp Tony. If there was a half pipe, the place would be besieged by "Have you had an injury?" lawyers :-(
Kitch22
I'm too scared to post more

Postby Tonkee66 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Yes was Mini ramp, my mistake, however after talking wit number of designer/builders we are probably going to invest all the money into the concrete side of things and incorporate the mini ramp in to the over all design of the skate park.

Will hopefully have something to show you by the end of August

Cheers
tony
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Tonkee66 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:30 am

We have four designs on line for consultation along with the vision statements from the designers/builders. The four designs are from
Wheelscape
Bendcrete
Gravity
California Skateparks

http://www.stockton.gov.uk/stocktoncoun ... skatepark/

Would be great if you could have a look at them and feedback any info to the email on the bottom of the web page

Cheers
Tony
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Return to Skatepark Building/ Design