Park Renovation plus ramps area

Got a project in your area? Need some advice on planning/funding/design etc?
Guests can post here.

Park Renovation plus ramps area

Postby MappyMapster » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi Guys,

Here in Scholes West Yorks we've just formed a 'friends group' to push for funding for a redesign of the whole village park.
There's a tentative 'ramps' area on the draft plan.

Now while I'm keen to see at least something to skate in the park,
I'd hate to see one of those horrible standard issue council metal ramp abominations erected.

Of course money is going to be an issue and the metal ramps on tarmac are probably the cheapest option,
and right from the off I can tell there's no support from council for a proper concrete park (as there are already lots of parks in surrounding towns)
but I'm wondering if there's something more imaginative we can do here.

The phrase 'skateable landscape' keeps running through my head.
The idea of somehow building intentionally skateable/bikeable elements into the landscape of the park itself.
Anyone come across anything like this?
MappyMapster
smell of grip tape

Re: Park Renovation plus ramps area

Postby MappyMapster » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:58 pm

just seen this thread along a similar lines
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29427
anyone got any further ideas about the subject?
MappyMapster
smell of grip tape

Postby GoR64 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:13 pm

Love the idea, but not an architect, so no idea how to implement it. I know skating lines and can understand artistic aesthetics, but you need someone with the confidence (and corresponding paycheque) to say "This Will Definitely Work."
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby HarryR » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:29 am

Have you come across the concrete mini at the back of Spenborough baths in Cleck?

It's not brilliant but it's a little better than a crappy metal ramp type thingy and it's pretty close by.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby MappyMapster » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Harry Ramsden wrote:Have you come across the concrete mini at the back of Spenborough baths in Cleck?
It's not brilliant but it's a little better than a crappy metal ramp type thingy and it's pretty close by.

Yes, I was there at 7 this morning. First park skate since I got back from Australia. Very functional looking (and why so many plastic bottles lying around!)
It was actually a lot of fun... better than I thought it would be... though I was missing the curvyness of my beloved South Australian bowl.

GoR64 wrote:Love the idea, but not an architect, so no idea how to implement it.

Yes thats the key. Seems simple on the surface but theres a lot of complex geometry involved to make something work.
Thats why I guess the architects just place a bit on the plan for a square of tarmac and a few metal ramps. It just the easy way.

I've looked on the net for examples of 'skateable landscape' but didnt come up with much.

If we ended up with a few concrete ramps though I reckon there must be something that can be done to make them at least look attractive.
Concrete can be coloured and I'm sure there must be more options for safety rails than what looks like standard prison issue. ;)
The ramps would be next to the kids playground so if the ramps could be at least 'keyed' into the overall play area feel through use of colour and materials,
that might be one thing we can do at least.

Of course these things can get untidy if not maintained but I've put my hand up with the friends group to keep an eye on that element of the park and try and keep it tidy and get issues fixed so people dont get the idea that its some kind of graffiti ghetto, drinking and drugs zone.

Down at spen they seem to be doing a reasonably good job of keeping the ramps clean though. Just needs some people to pick up after themselves and a working bee to remove some rather boring graffiti.
MappyMapster
smell of grip tape

Postby HarryR » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:25 pm

MappyMapster wrote:though I was missing the curvyness of my beloved South Australian bowl.

Should be one or two of us at Micklefield in the morning if you fancy it?

http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29036
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby MappyMapster » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:34 pm

looks good....
but church in morning.
When I get round to getting a car I'll be able to make those trips.
At the mo Im enjoying not having one for the time being.
Happy to meet up for a sesh at spen sometime though.
Its a rather pleasant roll down the spen valley greenway for me to get there.
MappyMapster
smell of grip tape

Return to Skatepark Building/ Design