Stockton Council letting YOU choose! JUST CLICK NOW

Got a project in your area? Need some advice on planning/funding/design etc?
Guests can post here.

Stockton Council letting YOU choose! JUST CLICK NOW

Postby Drive-By » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Click on this.....

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/reader-poll-skatepark-would-you-5751880

...and chhose the park you like best. Could not be more simple and you can make it happen!

DO IT, DO IT NOW! Get to the chopper! ..- ..- ..-
"I did land it"
Drive-By
SHOOT ME!

Re: Stockton Council letting YOU choose! JUST CLICK NOW

Postby HarryR » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:17 pm

So far the one that looks like a car park is winning with 43% of the vote. FFS :twisted:

I give up.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Brian S » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:05 am

Harry Ramsden wrote:So far the one that looks like a car park is winning with 43% of the vote. FFS :twisted:

I give up.

Yes, that one's a right bag 'o' shite looks like a playground company type thing, appalling, to be honest they all have flaws, but the Gravity one looks the best of the bunch, but as they are screwing up the Livingston extension it' hard to be enthusiastic about them & not one friggin pool in any of them!
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby HarryR » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 am

It's not so much the design that's the main problem here (although that clearly is a problem in my humble but accurate opinion), no, it's the depressing thought that there are a lot of people out there who actually think that this is the better design. I'm willing to bet that it's the younger end of the market and I can't help thinking that they don't know what they don't know. They never had the experience, bless 'em.

I just can't fathom why someone would want to build something that pretty much already exists in most town centres already when there's an opportunity to build something unique that doesn't exist anywhere else. I think it's been said elsewhere on MAS, if you want to skate street, skate on the street. Isn't part of the attraction of skating street looking for opportunities to repurpose street furniture in a way that was never intended by the original design? If you're gonna build a skatepark then build a proper skatepark FFS. rant over, please see "modern skateparks are rubbish" thread for further opinion.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby camo pete » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:13 am

I think that stairs are always best avoided where skateparks are concerned.They don't serve any real purpose and tend to be used as seats and places for people to leave their bags/other crap.
Might be worth trying to get this out to a wider audience,maybe via the Sidewalk forum,so that a greater number of skaters can vote.
I spend most of my money on beer,bikes and boards..............the rest I just waste.

https://www.facebook.com/Three-Amigos-s ... =bookmarks
camo pete
am I a skate geek

Postby Brian S » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Was there no plans from Acrete then?
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Hagwag » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Acrete went bust building Newport

η β π
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Brian S » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Hagwag wrote:Acrete went bust building Newport

η β π

Really, it it that huge, any good?
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Hagwag » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:50 pm

It's epic!

η β π
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby TonyB » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:12 pm

It has to be Gravity or Wheelscape but I'm not sure which. Don't like Gravity putting in cradles when I can't see the line to get the speed to make it worthwhile. There doesn't appear to be much of an elevation change or drop where you can generate speed. Wheelscape have something a bit different but again not much of an elevation change, potential crash zone over the spine. At least both companies have designed the street away from the bowls.

I think the Gravity design is probably best but I worry about their build quality.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Brian S » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:49 am

In the Gallery picture for the bendcrete one, the bowl pic is chopped off, so you can't confirm if it's a proper bowl or open ended crap!
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby shindigz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:05 am

I think it was the wheelscape one that grabbed me. It had a bit of something for everyone almost, and a reasonable layout too.

The street one was utter bollox (and I like street stuff, so that's saying something). Too samey, not enough bowls/transitions etc.

Gravity had too much of the same stuff too. Not enough variety.

Bendycrete I can't even remember. :P
I love the smell of concrete in the morning. It smells like... blood? ARRRGHHHH!!!!
shindigz
skate skate skate

Postby Tonkee66 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:42 am

Still time to get your comments registered! This is juts part of the process; we have been working with a user group made up of all ages and abilities. All the information from the tenders, along with feedback from the website and user group will be assessed by an independent consultant ( Skate & BMX expert) and he will produce a report recommending a design based on all the information.
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Brian S » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Tonkee66 wrote:Still time to get your comments registered! This is juts part of the process; we have been working with a user group made up of all ages and abilities. All the information from the tenders, along with feedback from the website and user group will be assessed by an independent consultant ( Skate & BMX expert) and he will produce a report recommending a design based on all the information.

Hmm, where do they find these so called experts?
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Drive-By » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Tonkee66 wrote:Still time to get your comments registered! This is juts part of the process; we have been working with a user group made up of all ages and abilities. All the information from the tenders, along with feedback from the website and user group will be assessed by an independent consultant ( Skate & BMX expert) and he will produce a report recommending a design based on all the information.

Glad to see it's had some feedback here. Alot of the local "street" skaters skate just that street and so it is beggers belief that the all street area is the most popular. As all those I know hardly use parks because it's not the real thing.
The most used are in R-Kade used to be the mini-ramp and the drive-way both needing transition!
R-kade now has no mini-ramp and the bowl and other transitions are too large for many to tackle so we are sorely lacking user friendly bowls and ramp areas. A 4 foot bowl no larger than Whitby's would be ideal for most, that and a mini-ramp of a similar size with a spine would be encompass alot of what is needed but both would need to be concrete and of a good quality.
Prissick Plaza's ramp area is also a let down as tarmac bases and plastic transition may be OK for BMX but they are useless for skateboards. I urge you to take on board the failings of other parks in the surrounding area to aid in the best outcome for all.
Futher more access i.e. fencing is not very well thought of although certain elements of society will vandalise so if they are errected something to make all hours or at least 14 hour a day access should me made possible.

Although Redcars R-Kade has a bowl it's transition areas are too large for most and the bowl at Prissick Plaza middlesbro it forever out of use do to drainage issues. Tonkee I do hope you go with a design with something for ALL to enjoy.
The park at scarborough although compact has something for everyone and every discipline. I do hope you look at the bigger picture and improve on the failings of other parks in the surrounding area.

I emplore you to take a trip to parks such as
South Park - Darlington
360 - Richmond
R-Kade - Redcar
North Cliffe - Whitby
Hairy Bobs - Scarborough
Rossy Plaza - Hartlepool

and see what they lack and where they excel.
"I did land it"
Drive-By
SHOOT ME!

Postby Brian S » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Hagwag wrote:Acrete went bust building Newport

η β π

That's strange as they are still opening parks according to their facebook page with one just opened on the 27th Aug
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Hagwag » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:33 am

Knightbridge was built by Concreate. Iain Young worked for Acrete and now runs them. Mist keep the old page updted as it's pretty much the same company

η β π
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Brian S » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Ahh, new "company", debts gone in old Ltd company, way to go! :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Hagwag » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:59 am

Not sure but I do know a load of peeps worked on the park voluntarily to finish it and added a DIY section to boot. Stu Graham for one

η β π
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Tonkee66 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:56 am

Just thought I’d give you guys an update, following the recent consultation, with the user group and the wider community, Wheelscape have been selected to go forward with their design for Preston Park.

We have already had a meeting with them and representatives of the users group to look at some changes to their original design and we will be meeting them in the next couple of weeks to finalise the design, before applying for planning consent.

If all goes to plan we should have the site completed by early summer 2014. Once I have the final designs I will try post them on here

Thanks for all the feed back from the site and the emails we have received

Cheers
Tony
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby HarryR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:09 pm

That's actually good news. The Wheelscape design looked like one of the better ones.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Tonkee66 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Guys, we now have the final design for Preston Park, the top end stays pretty much the same. But following another session with the user group and Wheelscape the bottom of it has been tweaks to add some more street stuff, which I believe is based on the” Spash Step’s “

The design has been submitted for planning consent and a decision should be made early in the New Year, if all goes well and planning is granted, we would hope to have Wheelscape on site late winter/early spring with completion summer 2014
Attachments
Wheelscape Final Visual Drawing Nov 2013.jpg
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Tonkee66 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:17 pm

Just a quick update to let you know work has started on site at Preston Park, we hope to have the site complete and open for sometime in the summer

cheers
Tony
Attachments
Site Work march  2014 No.1web.jpg
Site Work march 2014 No.1web.jpg (36.45 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Tonkee66 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:08 pm

its been a wjile since we last poated, but work is just aabout comoplete on the large new Skate park at Preston Park, Stockton-on-Tees

The following link shows photos of the park and how its looking

Cheers
Tony

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheelsca ... rk?fref=ts
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby crawf » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:02 pm

preston park skatepark in stockton on tees is now complete.
its officially open on friday 29th of august, just in time for the kids going back to school.
we've sessioned it a few times now with lots of fun with the security gadgey and the cops chasing us all around.
the fence is still up .
it will be boring being able to skate it legally but just to be sure i will get there every evening and every morning .
it is absolutely lovely. been waiting decades for this. im stoked.
getting barred out of skateparks since 1977...
crawf
I skateboard

Postby Spiffer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:41 am

Aye, I think me and my mates will be having a trip down from Durham to check this out at some point.
Spiffer
skate skate skate

Postby Tonkee66 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:30 pm

crawf wrote:preston park skatepark in stockton on tees is now complete.
its officially open on friday 29th of august, just in time for the kids going back to school.
we've sessioned it a few times now with lots of fun with the security gadgey and the cops chasing us all around.
the fence is still up .
it will be boring being able to skate it legally but just to be sure i will get there every evening and every morning .
it is absolutely lovely. been waiting decades for this. im stoked.

This Skate Park is not open and there has been no decision made to open it on the 29th August. There are still a few outstanding issues to be sorted by Wheelscape, before the Skate Park can be opened.
Please do not try and ride the Park until it is officially open. Once I have a date for the opening I will post it on the site
Cheers
Tony
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Tonkee66 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi just a quick update, the Skate Park at Preston park, will be open from Saurday 30th August

Cheers
Tony
Tonkee66
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Brian S » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Looking to go soon not too far for me :)
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Brian S » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Does anyone have a postcode & address for here as going over tomorrow with Ghoulie & Ian, best place to park for easy access?
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Brian S » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Three of us rocked up here today, really nice place, friendly locals, Nice reasonable priced cafe, & clean toilets next to the park, we will be back :D
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby crawf » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Hello brian, was there at preston park on tuesday night as I am most days.
I live right by there so next time you go, let me know and I, ll pop over, if I, m not already there.
not much mas activity going on in my area unfortunately.
getting barred out of skateparks since 1977...
crawf
I skateboard

Return to Skatepark Building/ Design