Those who campaigned for a park....

Got a project in your area? Need some advice on planning/funding/design etc?
Guests can post here.

Those who campaigned for a park....

Postby Mike9000 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:24 pm

...where did you begin?

Thinking of giving it a go, however I don't know where to start. Speaking to other skaters? Petitions? Speaking to the council direct? Spaces For Sports? Do's and dont's?

There are two council spots near me, and seeing the result of £34,000 worth of 'improvements' on one of them I think they may need a helping hand, given what I've seen done for around £100k. Obviously times are tight, but I think it's worth a shot - don't ask don't get etc.

Any advice, or a specific thread that I've missed?
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby JadedOlive » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:03 pm

You could try getting in touch with these guys for advice:

http://www.publicsquaregroup.com/

They just completed the long process of getting a nice concrete park built in downtown Cleveland, Ohio.

https://youtu.be/72h5AMz3Sp0

I believe their budget was similar, and they even got the maximum contribution from Tony Hawk's foundation ($25,000 I think).
JadedOlive
I like skateboarding

Re: Those who campaigned for a park....

Postby Fen » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:57 pm

No experience but I guess you have to do it as a benefiting the youth through sport and activity perspective.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby GoR64 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:01 pm

Ask your favourite local skatepark construction company, they'll be happy to give you some pointers.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby Mike9000 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:07 am

Cheers all.

I've found an organised community group who look after one of the parkways where one of the skateparks is located. They do events, volunteer clean ups and there seems to be a genuine appetite to work with, and do positive things for younger people in the area. I think that's a possible starting point.
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby Mike9000 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:07 am

GoR64 wrote:Ask your favourite local skatepark construction company, they'll be happy to give you some pointers.

It certainly wouldn't be then ones which built the current parks! :lol:
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby TwoBobRob » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Generally speaking, the starting point is a user group of some sort. From there you can approach the local authorities. You then need to show a demand and they also like to see evidence of sustainability - that is to say, it will be used and remain used for future years.

Funding comes from all over. Some money is only available to users groups for example. Some is available to youth, some only to charities. Sometimes the local authorities will fund the whole damn thing, it really does vary wildly.

If I were you, I'd start with a Facebook page.
TwoBobRob
I like skateboarding

Postby Mike9000 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:03 am

TwoBobRob wrote:Generally speaking, the starting point is a user group of some sort. From there you can approach the local authorities. You then need to show a demand and they also like to see evidence of sustainability - that is to say, it will be used and remain used for future years.

Funding comes from all over. Some money is only available to users groups for example. Some is available to youth, some only to charities. Sometimes the local authorities will fund the whole damn thing, it really does vary wildly.

If I were you, I'd start with a Facebook page.

Looks like I have to speak to da yoof/ locals.

Thanks 8)
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby TwoBobRob » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:35 am

Yep - gotta start somewhere, might as well be there.

It can be a thankless task but I regularly see a communication barrier/breakdown between the authorities and the local skaters/riders and if you can be the person who stands between and solves that problem, you'll most likely find you'll make some good progress.

Do you have a specific location in mind, if so are there likely to be any objections from nearby residents?
TwoBobRob
I like skateboarding

Postby Mike9000 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Location is an existing 'skatepark' - albeit some pretty nasty ramps, driveway etc all dotted around on a Tarmac surface. It's on a parkway (Lyme valley in Newcastle under Lyme) which is used for football fields, cricket club, BMX track, walkers, local festivals etc. so plenty of space and no houses nearby. Not too bad a place actually - all the facilities are good. Apart from the skatepark :lol:

I expect local demand / cost would be what kills it to be honest.
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby Weirdo » Mon May 04, 2015 10:49 am

Mike I will send you a PM as forgot to mention the other night. I am trying to do the same thing in chester.

Basically it is really hard work as everyone says really good idea but you need to speak to this person.

Start with finding out who is in charge of the park. Is there "a friends of" type org for the park.

It seems that they have the most power. What I have discovered is that money is the last thing to worry about.
Weirdo
Admin

Postby TwoBobRob » Mon May 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Good advice there ^^^

Every council now has an officer who looks after their parks, or as they like to call them - green spaces. So, check their website and you'll find a department under the heading Park & Recreation and/or Green Spaces. That person will know if there is a 'Friends Of' and they'll be more than happy to put you together.

Failing that, contact the Leisure Facilities dept and they'll either help or point you in the right direction.

It's that person who ultimately will need convincing that there is a need and it can be sustained.
TwoBobRob
I like skateboarding

Postby Mike9000 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:36 am

Awesome - thanks guys. Yes there is indeed a 'Friends of' and I have a contact there who I can speak with. They organise the family events and volunteer clean up activities. Seems like a good starting point too. At the moment I'm a bit worried about time (lack of) with baby no.2 arriving in just over two months... :shock:

Might drop her an email - might be worth me using the park first though, as painful as that's going to be! :lol:
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Return to Skatepark Building/ Design