New to mini Build

Got a project in your area? Need some advice on planning/funding/design etc?
Guests can post here.

New to mini Build

Postby mikeb » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:48 pm

Hello All,
I'm planning on building a mini in my back yard this year. I live in the central TX area and I don't want to spend the money on skatelite for the final layer . Hardie board would just get ruined and waste money. I have read somewhere to use 1/4 plywood( smoothsideup) and paint a sealer and a trap would prevent the ramp from getting ruined.. Any other suggestions on my final layer? I don't want to waste time or $$$ on this build.

Thanks

Mini Dimensions
Height: 2' 11 1/4"
Width: 8'
Length: 24'
Flat bottom: 8'
Deck: 2'
Transition: 6"-0
mikeb
What mid life crisis ?

Re: New to mini Build

Postby HarryR » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:20 pm

I think birch ply is always the preferred choice for the final surface. It would need protecting from the elements when not in use though.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby mikeb » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Thanks HarryR for the reply .
b~
mikeb
What mid life crisis ?

Postby HarryR » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:03 pm

No problem,

Welcome to MAS by the way.

Why not add your story to the introductions section?
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Brian S » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:20 pm

Today, myself & the wife were discussing that she wants our garden sorting out properly, I then half jokingly said I'd have a ramp in the back garden, well bugger me she was not averse to the idea at all, this is the same lady that said if I ever put any boards on the wall that they would be in the bin the next day (not that I ever wanted to anyway, as it's kind of odd ), so now I'm kind of stunned as to what possibilities there could be, but we do have at least one arsey neighbour who likes to complain about nothing to add to the mix as well? :shock:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby mikeb » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:59 pm

I do have a question here. SInce I'm not putting skatelite or hard board on the ramp do I still need to do 3 layers? 2 layers of 3/8" plywood and 1 layer of 1/4" plywood? Or can I get buy with just 2 layers? I'm planning on painting the ramp with exterior paint to help "seal " the wood.

Heres an answer I found.
What kind of plywood should I use?
Use the most inexpensive 3/4 inch plywood you can find for the transition sides. When surfacing it, I would suggest using 2 layers of plywood that add up to 3/4 inch in thickness (or more). For example, you could use inexpensive 1/2 inch ply for the first layer and then cover that with a better quality 1/4 inch layer. This will give you a strong, smooth surface.
http://www.dansworld.com/ramp_faq.html
mikeb
What mid life crisis ?

Postby TwoBobRob » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi Mike.

I work in the industry. My advice to you is to go with two layers of 3/8" plywood of the very best quality you can find. I have heard that Birch plywood isn't that easy to come by in the states but if it is available to you - use it. I wouldn't personally use a lesser grade as a 1st layer, if that fails it compromises your expensive top layer....

I am of the opinion that 3 layers outside is a bit misguided.

Have your timbers beams no more than 8" apart centre to centre, I would suggest going a little closer together personally. 6" centres may look a little busy but it's strong as hell.

Wood preserve everything and seal all edges with a proprietary product or paint. You can then paint over the preserved boards entirely if you like.

I hope that helps, feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like more info :)

Rob.
TwoBobRob
I like skateboarding

Postby mikeb » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:10 am

Thanks rob for the reply. I still do have a few questions.

1. I go with 3 layers 2 of them 3/8" and the top layer of 1/4" then paint with exterior paint would that be fine? Dont want to use skatelight or hardboard. Any paint u can suggest?

2. You say 6" centers that would up my 2x4s from my plans above about how many more would i need to add to my list?
mikeb
What mid life crisis ?

Postby TwoBobRob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:56 pm

Hi mate.

Replied to your pm.

For others reading, here's a summary :)

1. Yes. I prefer wood preserver over paint myself.
2. Add 1 or 2 timbers to each tranny to bring the centres a little closer for the win although a 3 layer ramp would be just fine with 8" centres.

Rob.
TwoBobRob
I like skateboarding

Return to Skatepark Building/ Design