Birmingham Wheels

Find your old sk8 mates

Birmingham Wheels

Postby Joolz » Fri May 21, 2004 11:49 am

OK

Any old buggers out there who used to skate Birmingham Wheels in the 80's and still skating?

I used to skate with a guy called Jim the Skin, one called Stampy, one called Rob??.. Can't remember any other names but there were some good skaters.

My wife dug a few ooold photos recently, brought back memories.


Joolz
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Youth about me - "That guy looks like Bob Burnquist"
Carl - "Yeah but He skates like Bob Burntcrisp"
User avatar
Joolz
anorak alert
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:52 am
Location: Brummyland n Oxford

Postby Pete.G » Fri May 21, 2004 1:55 pm

joolz, jims still around and skates at epic on weds nights . Think hes got a shop in coventry as well called ride !
Old School But Still No Fool !
User avatar
Pete.G
I skateboard
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:50 pm
Location: Northampton , UK

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby drill666 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:36 pm

Joolz wrote:OK

Any old buggers out there who used to skate Birmingham Wheels in the 80's and still skating?

I used to skate with a guy called Jim the Skin, one called Stampy, one called Rob??.. Can't remember any other names but there were some good skaters.

My wife dug a few ooold photos recently, brought back memories.


Joolz

I use to skate Wheels,I can remember Stampy,Scooter Billy,Zippy,Oldie,Jagger,Hernia Rob,Tipton Rob,Blimmer Man,Surfy,Steve Spain,Gaz Taylor,Team spam,Pat and many others.The indoor bowl was the bees knees.Anyone remember Eric Dressen ripping the place? :)
Ollie?What`s that then?
User avatar
drill666
What mid life crisis ?
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Coventry

Postby Woody » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm

when a good few times was a great place to go, vert ramp was good saw Lance and .. shit someone else for the life of me i cant remeber rippin it up the on some Powell tour or other got it on video somehwere.
Another name to throw in the bag Chris Harris AKA Magnum.
And yes Jim shop is called Ride yet another SOS shop that get well supported by its local and very rightly so.
Also remember a a spine ramp at Brownhills ? that was good fun if i remember rightly.

Oh the good old days:)
MAS, run by skateboarders for skateboarders and paid for by skateboarders.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
User avatar
Woody
Skate Bully
 
Posts: 8892
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: Blackpool

Postby drill666 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:50 pm

The Cab was with Lance that day and a few weeks later Dave Crabb turned up to demo,a very amiable bloke. :)
Ollie?What`s that then?
User avatar
drill666
What mid life crisis ?
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Coventry

Postby PJ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:28 pm

Pete.G wrote:joolz, jims still around and skates at epic on weds nights . Think hes got a shop in coventry as well called ride !


He's having trouble with his memory these days. Forgets which day to turn up and stuff. We should worry about the poor old sod really. :D
User avatar
PJ
Geek
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:39 pm
Location: Plugged in to an amplifier

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby Joolz » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:24 pm

drill666 wrote:
Joolz wrote:OK

Any old buggers out there who used to skate Birmingham Wheels in the 80's and still skating?

I used to skate with a guy called Jim the Skin, one called Stampy, one called Rob??.. Can't remember any other names but there were some good skaters.

My wife dug a few ooold photos recently, brought back memories.


Joolz

I use to skate Wheels,I can remember Stampy,Scooter Billy,Zippy,Oldie,Jagger,Hernia Rob,Tipton Rob,Blimmer Man,Surfy,Steve Spain,Gaz Taylor,Team spam,Pat and many others.The indoor bowl was the bees knees.Anyone remember Eric Dressen ripping the place? :)


Hey Drill

Do you know what happend to Tipton Rob? I used to skate with him all the time and would love to hook up again if he still skates...

Jim, Chris Harris, Eric and Steve Spain skate at Epic and are still top geezers and sickeningly good!!!

I started when the ramp was at the bottom next to the train track... It then moved to the top of the hill and finally ended up in the middle when the 'new' bigger one was put in. I only skated the indoor bowl once.

Any idea what happened to the original ramp?
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Youth about me - "That guy looks like Bob Burnquist"
Carl - "Yeah but He skates like Bob Burntcrisp"
User avatar
Joolz
anorak alert
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:52 am
Location: Brummyland n Oxford

Postby Joolz » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:27 pm

Hey my original post was two and a half years ago....

You lot took yer time in answering :lol:

A record?
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Youth about me - "That guy looks like Bob Burnquist"
Carl - "Yeah but He skates like Bob Burntcrisp"
User avatar
Joolz
anorak alert
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:52 am
Location: Brummyland n Oxford

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby Tony G » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 am

drill666 wrote:I use to skate Wheels,I can remember Stampy,Scooter Billy,Zippy,Oldie,Jagger,Hernia Rob,Tipton Rob,Blimmer Man,Surfy,Steve Spain,Gaz Taylor,Team spam,Pat and many others.The indoor bowl was the bees knees.Anyone remember Eric Dressen ripping the place? :)


Zippy @ Epic early this year.. ripped up the vert ramp with style, & he'd only been back on his board 3weeks :roll: after a good few years layoff :wink:
Image
There aint half been some clever bastards.
User avatar
Tony G
nothing better to do
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 9:01 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby Woody » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:23 am

Joolz wrote:
drill666 wrote:
Joolz wrote:Do you know what happend to Tipton Rob?

He still skates live over Yorkshire way now i think,Skates Blackpool occasional works shifts so does not seem to be regular sessions. Turns up for the seaside Sessions Vert comps just to spectate.
Joolz got a mobile number for Tipton if you want it ?
We must have skated together back "the days" as you know all the same guys i use to skate with from Brum, take it you mean Eric AKA Pie-man ?
MAS, run by skateboarders for skateboarders and paid for by skateboarders.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
User avatar
Woody
Skate Bully
 
Posts: 8892
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: Blackpool

Postby Joolz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:00 pm

Woody... thanks mate.

tell you what, I'll post a couple of pics of the Rob I am talking about..

probably best to confirm... before I ring random blokes :-)

the Rob i mean had a really thick brummy accent (far worse than mine) :lol:

He also had dodgy dress sense (even for the 80's!) :lol:

And as for Eric... Me and my brother used to call him 'the hat'... coz of his TA stylee hats..

He was big mates with Chris Harris...

Seen him a couple of times at Epic. Same bloke?

Also met Steve Spain a few weeks ago... nice guy, smooth skater still.

Small world eh?

So what were you doing in brum? Did you live there?

I lived about 5 miles from Wheels.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Youth about me - "That guy looks like Bob Burnquist"
Carl - "Yeah but He skates like Bob Burntcrisp"
User avatar
Joolz
anorak alert
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:52 am
Location: Brummyland n Oxford

Postby Woody » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:54 pm

Joolz wrote:Woody... thanks mate.

tell you what, I'll post a couple of pics of the Rob I am talking about..

probably best to confirm... before I ring random blokes :-)

the Rob i mean had a really thick brummy accent (far worse than mine) :lol:

He also had dodgy dress sense (even for the 80's!) :lol:

And as for Eric... Me and my brother used to call him 'the hat'... coz of his TA stylee hats..

He was big mates with Chris Harris...

Seen him a couple of times at Epic. Same bloke?

Also met Steve Spain a few weeks ago... nice guy, smooth skater still.

Small world eh?

So what were you doing in brum? Did you live there?

I lived about 5 miles from Wheels.

Hi Joolz
Spent many a weekend down Brum and Shewsbury use to travel a LOT :)
Yep its got to be Rob Tipton ( All the way Rob) you have summed him up to a t, leather pants ruffled shirts that kind of stuff. Sounds like the Eric is the Pieman am good mates with CHris Harris still although we dont see each other much we still keep in touch great set of lads from that way. Next time you see Spainy ask him if he still ahs a hairy ARSE :)
MAS, run by skateboarders for skateboarders and paid for by skateboarders.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
User avatar
Woody
Skate Bully
 
Posts: 8892
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: Blackpool

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby stampy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:26 am

hey anyone who wants to see vids from the dressen demo at dickers go to facebook and go to birmingham skateboard archive the footage is there...
stampy
I'm too scared to post more
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby pst » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Didn't Stampy used to run a skate shop in Lichfield in the 80s, early 90s?? He used to knock around the ramp in the park as I remember. I was about 8 or 9. :lol:
pst
What mid life crisis ?
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 pm
Location: Lichfield

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby stampy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:03 pm

yep i did also built the ramps at wheels before zippy took over and started ideal... good times lichfield was so much fun ah them was the dayz!!!
stampy
I'm too scared to post more
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby Magnum » Sat May 15, 2010 6:04 pm

I have no idea how these new fangles forum thingy's work, but saw the post, and thought I might tinker at a reply!
That nice young man from Blackpool - so complimentary about us lot - thanks Woody!
Just to confirm the names that have been spoken about that I know of:-
Magnum, ie. me - still skating, Wednesday nites is vert nite at Creation! usually with Sean Goff, Morfa Mike, Jim the Skin, Joe the Skin (his son!) as a minimum.
Jim - still skating & ripping - see above
Rab - lives in Windsor now, still loves skating but manages to get on his board once a year! would skate more if he had anyone to skate with..
Pieman - hasnt skated for a while, but lives in Brum still
Tipton - lives nr Leeds, doesnt skate as often as he would like, dress sense toned down a bit these days, just the same old Tipper though!
Spainy - not sure if he has hairy arse, but vegan arse does clear the room..Still skates and entertains - saw him a few months back for a pint with Jim, Tipton, Pieman - top nite!
Surfy, Gaz Taylor still into skating.

Joolz, as Stampy suggested (Hi Stampy - good to see you not so long ago!), best place for some great old stuff is to get yourself on Facebook, and search for the 'Birmingham SKate Archive' - some cracking fotos from Wheels and Kiddy. And if you have some fotos, upload a few onto the Archive - new ones are greatly welcomed!
And finally, if you fancy a skate on vert, come and have a look at Creation on a Wednesday nite!
Magnum
I'm too scared to post more
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby Dre » Sat May 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Magnum wrote:I have no idea how these new fangles forum thingy's work, but saw the post, and thought I might tinker at a reply!
That nice young man from Blackpool - so complimentary about us lot - thanks Woody!
Just to confirm the names that have been spoken about that I know of:-
Magnum, ie. me - still skating, Wednesday nites is vert nite at Creation! usually with Sean Goff, Morfa Mike, Jim the Skin, Joe the Skin (his son!) as a minimum.
Jim - still skating & ripping - see above
Rab - lives in Windsor now, still loves skating but manages to get on his board once a year! would skate more if he had anyone to skate with..
Pieman - hasnt skated for a while, but lives in Brum still
Tipton - lives nr Leeds, doesnt skate as often as he would like, dress sense toned down a bit these days, just the same old Tipper though!
Spainy - not sure if he has hairy arse, but vegan arse does clear the room..Still skates and entertains - saw him a few months back for a pint with Jim, Tipton, Pieman - top nite!
Surfy, Gaz Taylor still into skating.

Joolz, as Stampy suggested (Hi Stampy - good to see you not so long ago!), best place for some great old stuff is to get yourself on Facebook, and search for the 'Birmingham SKate Archive' - some cracking fotos from Wheels and Kiddy. And if you have some fotos, upload a few onto the Archive - new ones are greatly welcomed!
And finally, if you fancy a skate on vert, come and have a look at Creation on a Wednesday nite!



You've got a lot say for yourself ... are all your posts going to be this lengthy ???????????



only joking .... welcome Magnum
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
come up and see me sometime

@ Big Woodys (and Dre`s)Skate Shop
www.bigwoodys.co.uk
Subscribe to Big Woodys News LetterNews Letter
Dre
Geek
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:23 pm
Location: Blackpool

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby Psychik 23 » Sat May 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Chris Harris ?
I`ve still got some of your "signature" Vans . :wink:

Ex Brummie Dave Glover left to work at Shiners for a while then went Stateside years ago.
Steve Spain was probably the first skater I talked to during the "dead years" `79 - `80.
I used to drive down to Kiddy on my tod from Wigan as it was one of the only places left
with people skating. I thought I was the last skater in England til I found the Kiddy crew. :cry:


"Hair on fire" Tom ?
"Hey you! with the boxicle stick! why dont you try fuckin` carving !"
Duane Stevens
User avatar
Psychik 23
Super Geek
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Wigan

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby baldyben » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:05 pm

birmingham wheels is the only vert rap i have ever dropped in on, scared the living fuck out of myself - did it twice and both times made a 180 kickturn then bailed to kneeslide on the other side, wasn't it made of metal back then?

the only other things i remember skating there were a few big bits of grey plastic (like 1.5ft tall industrial bits of halfpipe maybe used in construction), super mellow and the plastic edge grinded like it was glass - immense fun, infact one of those would be the ultimate quiet fun ramp in the back garden :D
User avatar
baldyben
nothing better to do
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Newquay

Re: Birmingham Wheels

Postby Magnum » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:16 pm

yeah, the bacon slicer we used to call the metalled Wheels vert ramp due to the inconsistent seams!
Magnum
I'm too scared to post more
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:37 pm


Return to Whatever Happened To...?