Hip-hop?

The CD's, gigs & festivals. Noise to skate to!

Hip-hop?

Postby DonSimon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:08 am

Anyone on here a fan? I grew up on punk and hip hop. Really only like the 90's stuff BUT....

Over the last couple of weeks I've found ProEra, a crew from New York that make late 90s Pharcyde/Souls of Mischief stuff. If you used to listen to any of those guys check them out on Youtube. It's amazing stuff.
DonSimon
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Hip-hop?

Postby pete » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:31 am

yeah, used to listen hip hop a lot, quite like the joey badda$$ stuff, listening to it on deezer now, good find 8)
pete
nothing better to do

Postby GarethV » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:39 am

Yes and Yes.

Going to see the Wu tonight at Brixton.
Skaters gonna Skate
GarethV
Super Geek

Postby DonSimon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:54 am

pete wrote:yeah, used to listen hip hop a lot, quite like the joey badda$$ stuff, listening to it on deezer now, good find 8)

Check out Capital STEEZ. He was the stand out on the ProEra mixtape but he offed himself the day before it came out. His solo album is ridiculous, I got them all on torrents.

GarethV wrote:Yes and Yes.

Going to see the Wu tonight at Brixton.

Would have loved to go but it's £80 a ticket right? Bit rich for my blood. Saw Ghost 5ish years back in Brighton. Was amazing man. Have a ball tonight and blaze one up for me!
DonSimon
What mid life crisis ?

Postby GarethV » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 pm

80 notes yes I wouldn't be paying that.

I knew about it for ages so got tickets early for 35 I think ( mate will confirm tonight)

Pharcyde were at the Garage as well at the end of June that was only 18 quid. They performed the entire Bizarre Ride 2.

Passsed around a few blunts on stage whilst performing 'pack the pipe'. Fat lip was just smiling after that for the rest of the show.

cheers mate will do :D
Skaters gonna Skate
GarethV
Super Geek

Postby pete » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:42 pm

pharcyde are awesome!!!!!

Wu are playing a festival a few hours from here in switzerland but its about £400 a ticket :roll:

unless someone bids on my mom on ebay I wont be going :cry:
pete
nothing better to do

Postby GarethV » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:58 pm

[quote="pete"]pharcyde are awesome!!!!!

Wu are playing a festival a few hours from here in switzerland but its about £400 a ticket :roll:

Yeah love Pharcyde. Got the ltd edition vinyl at home blue & yellow clear. They are recording some new stuff apparently hopefully it will be as good.

£400 that's just straight up robbery. Heard lots of rumours most of them don't like each other and barely talk to each other so maybe they are using the 20th Anniversary to cash in?

As long as they put on a sick show that's what matters. Never seen them live before hence why I'm so hyped!!
Skaters gonna Skate
GarethV
Super Geek

Postby DonSimon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:46 pm

GarethV wrote:
pete wrote:pharcyde are awesome!!!!!

Yeah love Pharcyde. Got the ltd edition vinyl at home blue & yellow clear. They are recording some new stuff apparently hopefully it will be as good.

£400 that's just straight up robbery. Heard lots of rumours most of them don't like each other and barely talk to each other so maybe they are using the 20th Anniversary to cash in?

As long as they put on a sick show that's what matters. Never seen them live before hence why I'm so hyped!!

Yeah there has been a lot of agro with RZA and the other members for the last couple of years. It's a total mess now but they cant take away the 36 Chambers.
DonSimon
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Ben-G » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:09 pm

I enjoy a little Wu Tang from time to time, if I am in the right mood. Some of their tracks are seriously f**king sinister!

Otherwise I am pretty lightweight when it comes to hip hop - I like the old 80s stuff like White Lines /Licensed to Ill / De La Soul / Run DMC etc. + anything you might hear on an old street sounds "electro" tape.

The biggest turn off for me has to be the sexism in hip hop lyrics - people like Ice Cube & a million other cretins proper let themselves down on this score. Oddly Wu Tang don't dwell on that side of things anywhere near as much as most others.

Think my last hip hop purchase was this Roxanne Shante compilation:

Anyway enjoy the show Gareth!
Killer Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!
Ben-G
Bigger Geek

Postby GarethV » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Cheers Ben

I'm more in to the older stuff too. Public Enemy, Pharcyde, Guru, a little bit of Snoop, Krs One Tribe called Quest, etc

Nothing wrong with some De la soul, or some Reverend Ron :)
Skaters gonna Skate
GarethV
Super Geek

Postby SailorJerry » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Long time Beastie Boys fan.

Always enjoyed Hip-Hop but was never a fan of the LA stuff (Ice Cude, Dre, Snoop etc).

Got heavily into strange underground hip-hop from about 2003, stuff on the Anticon and Def Jux labels, Sole, Themselves, El-P, Odd Nosdam, Jel, Dose One. But the one rapper who has stuck has been Sage Francis, grown up thoughtful rap without all the blunts bitches and 40's but still relevant and hard hitting.

More of a fan of instrumental hip-hop as well. DJ Shadow, Cut Chemist, Alias, and loads of stuff from Ninja Tune........I could go on for hours
is there anything punk cannot cure?
SailorJerry
nothing better to do

Postby GoR64 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Hmmm well, generation gap again for me (mostly 90's) but I've always enjoyed the UK stuff... Top of my head: Jehst, Braintax, Taskforce, Vadim, more lighthearted touches with Mr. Scruff (call it what you like) of course Fleapit, occasionally Blak Twang, Roots Manuva, Fingathing are always funky too. For the chilled times you can't beat a bit of Earthling.

People talking about Wu-Tang, have a looksie for Wu-Tang Vs. The Beatles, or there's Wu-Tang meets The Indie Culture for a dubstep rehash. Not for everyone, granted, but fairly well produced.

As far as them lot across the pond, hmmmm... You can't throw a stone without hitting a rapper. (Stones Throw recs, geddit) Buck 65 springs to mind, Necro, Peanut Butter Wolf, Quasimoto/Madlib, Kool Keith/Doctor Octagon, [Go buy Dr. Octagyneacologyst. Just do it.] MF Doom, Jedi Mind Tricks, Dilated Peoples, Ill Bill... Fuck it why not Slick Rick, EPMD, Arrested Development, even Rob Base & EZ Rock! Has anyone mentioned Jurassic 5 and De La Soul?

Internationally:

Final edit of the night (which makes 5):
Ugly Duckling.
Last edited by GoR64 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby vato kat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:34 pm

Kool Keith is really good.
vato kat
SHOOT ME!

Postby Nomis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:43 pm

Outkast. in my opinion aquemeni is the best album. an epic hip hop and soul journey and in my top five albums ever.

But anything from atliens through to the love below speakerboxxx double album where they started to go separate ways is amazing in scope and imagination.
Nomis
I got new wheels

Postby GoR64 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:00 am

Aim. Cold Cut. DJ Food, A-Trak, Q-Bert. 9 Lazy 9 (Jazzy) Format. Tha Alkaholiks.
Biggie Smalls.
There's a fair bit of more current stuff worth a listen but I think I've invaded this thread a bit too much already.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby DonSimon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Reason I posted about ProEra is they're all 18/19. Amazing potential and really good to see the new generation are equally as sick of FloRida and all that kind of shit.
DonSimon
What mid life crisis ?

Postby chuffedankles » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:06 pm

New Heiroglyphics album "dropping" this month. I listened to hip-hop when I was younger and at uni, but it really doesn't do anything for me any more; not even nostalgically. The thrash and punk from the same era hasn't got old, still love it and probably more so now with the way the music scene is so saturated.
chuffedankles
I got new wheels

Postby Rob G » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Used to be really into hip hop: MF Doom, Jurassic 5, Tribe Called Quest, kind of stuff. Got bored with it for a while, but heard some stuff recently that sounded pretty good. Numbers on the Board by Pusha T is an amazing track, for example. This free download is also worth a listen:

http://foolsgoldrecs.com/runthejewels/
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
Rob G
Geek

Postby Nod » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:27 pm

I'm with Nomis - Outcast are the schizzle! bitd i was all over P.E, De La, Eric B & Rakim, Missy Elliot,, Massive Attack and similar old school stuff (Pete-how much for ya mom? gotta love a bit of milf :))
roads? where we're going we don't need roads
Nod
am I a skate geek

Postby Nod » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:32 pm

...oh, and respec to the OG godfather-Snoop
Nod
am I a skate geek

Postby GarethV » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 am

Wow looks like I'm missing out on a lot of artists.

Heard of Joey Bad ass my friend ( he was originally put off by the rather lame name) mentioned him and also one of the warm up acts for Wu tang something 'Blood'.

but loads there some I have heard the names but not listened to them. Others I didn't know about. Looks like I shall be getting some more music for the car then. :D
Skaters gonna Skate
GarethV
Super Geek

Postby pete » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:58 am

Nod wrote:I'm with Nomis - Outcast are the schizzle! bitd i was all over P.E, De La, Eric B & Rakim, Missy Elliot,, Massive Attack and similar old school stuff (Pete-how much for ya mom? gotta love a bit of milf :))

auction ended, no bidders :oops:

semtex show on radio 1 is worth a listen :mrgreen:
pete
nothing better to do

Postby pete » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Versace by Migos ft Drake and Shabba Ranks by ASAP Ferg are awesome tunes.

cant wait for the Migos album to come out :mrgreen:
pete
nothing better to do

Postby Mike9000 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:52 pm

SailorJerry wrote:Long time Beastie Boys fan.

Always enjoyed Hip-Hop but was never a fan of the LA stuff (Ice Cude, Dre, Snoop etc).

Got heavily into strange underground hip-hop from about 2003, stuff on the Anticon and Def Jux labels, Sole, Themselves, El-P, Odd Nosdam, Jel, Dose One. But the one rapper who has stuck has been Sage Francis, grown up thoughtful rap without all the blunts bitches and 40's but still relevant and hard hitting.

More of a fan of instrumental hip-hop as well. DJ Shadow, Cut Chemist, Alias, and loads of stuff from Ninja Tune........I could go on for hours

And I thought I was one of the only ones out there. Get's lonely :lol:

Big fan of Aesop Rock here in addition to the above. cLoudead!! :o :D

West Coast = MC Eiht.
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby Weirdo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:11 am

I did not know dj shadow and the ninja stuff was classed as hip hop?

Not sure what I class it as but have a ninja cuts album on 12 " vinyl somewhere. I seem to remember it having a mad track about fishes on it.

Will have to search when I get a chance.
Weirdo
Admin

Postby Mike9000 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:22 am

Weirdo wrote:I did not know dj shadow and the ninja stuff was classed as hip hop?

Labelled it as "Trip Hop" or some other horseshit. He had a lot to do with SoleSides and Quannum labels in the late 90's IIRC. Greatest Bumps and Spectrum (respectively) are both fantastic albums:

Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby Weirdo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 am

Funkungfusion was the album I have with mr scruff and fish.
Weirdo
Admin

Postby Mike9000 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:27 am

Rob G wrote:Used to be really into hip hop: MF Doom, Jurassic 5, Tribe Called Quest, kind of stuff. Got bored with it for a while, but heard some stuff recently that sounded pretty good. Numbers on the Board by Pusha T is an amazing track, for example. This free download is also worth a listen:

http://foolsgoldrecs.com/runthejewels/

Album of the year - actually listening to it now. Saw El live last year in Manchester. Very good. Got absolutely wasted and blew a couple hundred on strippers after the show :lol:

Mr Scruff :o
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby Hagwag » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 am

Despite the childish horror/Metallica/rapey/ lyrics I quite like Necro

Rapping in hebrew never sounded this good before. Ok he only does a bit in hebrew but it sounds cool

η β π
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby LostnotFound » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:49 am

I'd ignored this thread until Mr Scruff turned up, his club nights are awesome if you ever get a chance to see him.
Please ignore the above post, I have nothing of merit to say.
LostnotFound
I got new wheels

Postby Rob G » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:44 am

LostnotFound wrote:I'd ignored this thread until Mr Scruff turned up, his club nights are awesome if you ever get a chance to see him.

Agreed, amazing dj and doesn't restrict himself to one genre. Used to go to Keep it Unreal all the time when it was at Music Box, not been since he moved to Band on the Wall.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
Rob G
Geek

Postby Martin-d » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:13 am

I like a bit of hip hop. Mainly what's already been put but love a bit of early 90's british hip hop like caveman and credit to the nation. Also been getting proper old school and listening to young mc recently. I got know how!
Martin-d
nothing better to do

Postby xman2001 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 am

Young MC got that upstairs in the vinyl vault :) Beastie Boys Ill Communication was the album at Rom when I started to skate again. I was a fan after hearing John Peel play GMF&FF Adventures of the Wheels of Steel and never looked back until the 90s Gangster Rap movement dug it's own grave. Hip Hop has such a rich story to tell over the years and it is very much ingrained in UK culture in many levels. From 'Shaun of the Dead' the zombies are coming so let's get drunk and bodypop badly to our Streetsounds Electro Albums, into the dance and club scenes, home grown hip and all the spin-offs since, who would have though kids would be still be breaking and going to street dance lessons. Was lucky enough to see virtually all the US crews on their UK debuts - from Kurtis Blow to Ice-T the one that got away Pharcyde playing on a wet Tuesday night at my local suburban club, couldn't be arsed - idiot. Talking old school have a listen to Wildstyle a movie project from Blondie's Chris Stein - these were the original crews ripped of by the Sugarhill gang, films not much cop except original gritty blockparty footage of rappers and breakers but in my ears the sounds have stood the test of time, and was the inspiration behind Blondie's Rapture - Fab 5 Freddies in it. Finally got to see one of the best rappers from the projects years later, the rappers rapper the crazy Rammelzee supporting Sly and Robbie.... better stop now showing my age. Don't listen to it much now but happy to tune into Westwood once in a while, always the best tunes to skate to IMHO
xman2001
I got new wheels

Postby evilbona » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm

silver bullet.....gang star.....London posse.....hi-jack.....
evilbona
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Kamaki » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:37 pm

vato kat wrote:Kool Keith is really good.

Yes! I thought I was listening to hip-hop then a friend of mine put me onto some stuff. Kool Keith was one one of 'em, Bush man video youtube. He's mad, brilliant, but mad.
I've come to enjoy the art of falling.
Kamaki
nothing better to do

Postby whoyodaddy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:59 pm

Dr Octagon, Kool Keiths psycho scientist alter ego is one of the best hip hop albums I ever heard. Totally out there, totally off the wall, really filthy and so funny.

whoyodaddy
nothing better to do

Postby Alec » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:35 am

Funky 4+1, Sugarhill Gang, Derek B
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby Nod » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:40 am

+1for Gangsta and London Posse,
for me it started with Peel playing Adventures of Grandmaster Flash, and the Supreme Team bits on McLarens' Duck Rock. I also got off on all the electro stuff, Soul Sonic Force and the Zulu Nation
Nod
am I a skate geek

Postby Red Beard » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:38 pm

evilbona wrote:silver bullet.....gang star.....London posse.....hi-jack.....

Got the Silver Bullet, London Posse and Hijack albums in my vinyl collection along with "Daily Operation" by Gang Starr, also got "Step In The Arena" by Gang Starr on cd - and I still pull them out from time to time plus a good few others from back in the day.
For me the UK underground acts kept the torch burning after a lot of American rappers started producing absolute shite, it's just a shame the British "rappers" most people seem to know are people like Tinie Tempah, Professor Green and Tinchy fucking Stryder.!

Got to say most modern stuff leaves me cold but Jay Electronica is good and don't mind some of Joey Bada$$ stuff as mentioned earlier.
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby Mike9000 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:05 am

Loving this over the party season

Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby micke » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Mike9000 wrote:Loving this over the party season

Sure u do. I get "log in and confirm your age" so it must be a masterpiece.
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby Mike9000 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:39 pm

micke wrote:
Mike9000 wrote:Loving this over the party season

Sure u do. I get "log in and confirm your age" so it must be a masterpiece.

:lol:

Can't believe that....
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby Mike9000 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:37 am

You and your money :o

Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:49 am

For Mike9000 love peace and hair grease x
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:53 am

Mike this my jam.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:55 am

BRONX
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:10 am

Told you I was old (school) Mike9000
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:14 am

Filthy. Nottz beats, Bronx bars. Real dope.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:17 am

Turn it up then. Cappo.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:20 am

Never cease to amaze me.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:23 am

You don't get the scene bro!!!! Haha.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:29 am

Oh shit! Too PC. Narh just educated.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:34 am

UK flow beast. My blaze buddy, Rodders.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:36 am

The art form.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:40 am

OH GOSH! Stick with it.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:43 am

GoR64 where you at homie?
^ wait for that skinnyman bars. Oh gosh!

7.17 watch yer speakers. Baseline monster.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:00 am

Edan
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:10 am

Marley marl beat
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:18 am

Last one for now. Mike9000 if you can't get yer swerve on to this, your are dead to me!!!
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby Mike9000 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:50 pm

:lol: :lol:

I was long in bed by then :lol:

I'm no good at staying up late these days :x :x
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Next

Return to Gnarly Dude!