Can this quarter go any mellower without losing the stall?

... Just what it says

Can this quarter go any mellower without losing the stall?

Postby kylerdurden » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 pm

http://www.diyskate.com/quarter_01.html

I set this up and it stalls properly at the top. I am referring to the underside of the board stalling like on any rock tricks. I want to know if I can go any mellower with the radius and not lose the stall. I tried a 72" radius with the same height and it no longer stalled at the top. So it's a pretty narrow range I'm working with. I don't know if there's some kind of height/radius ratio at which when you go past it, the stall goes away from being too mellow. Thanks
kylerdurden
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Can this quarter go any mellower without losing the stal

Postby HarryR » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Wheel size, truck height and riser thickness will be a factor to take account of.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Fumanchu2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:06 pm

You could maybe go with a 6-foot radius but much more mellow than that on a ramp under 2 feet would probably not allow you to lock in trucks unless you are skating 48mm wheels :(
Fumanchu2
skate skate skate

Postby kylerdurden » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:22 am

Fumanchu2 wrote:You could maybe go with a 6-foot radius but much more mellow than that on a ramp under 2 feet would probably not allow you to lock in trucks unless you are skating 48mm wheels :(

I have smaller wheels. So when you said 6 ft, can you just tell by experience or is there some way to know a height/radius ratio that wont work? For instance, that site has plans for 3 ft mini that uses 6 ft radius. So the ratio is 2. But the quarter on the site has height of 2 and radius of 66” and that ratio is 2.75. The 6 ft radius your suggesting would be ratio of 3 at the same height. So is that the ratio not to go past in ramp building?
kylerdurden
What mid life crisis ?

Return to Readers Ramps