Curbs

... Just what it says

Curbs

Postby JimBin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:58 pm

I made the form for a curb from an old cd rack in the attic. A mate works with concrete and he made 2 before the mould broke. We brought them to a semi-covered DIY spot where I rub-bricked them and sprayed them. I popped out yesterday and gave a spray of lacquer. Hopefully they will be skatable by wednesday or thursday. They are 6 1/2 feet each. If they skate well, I'll make a proper form and make another batch.

Lovenskate 8.5, Venture v Lights 5.8, Rockin Rons, Muckefuck 53mm
JimBin
I got new wheels

Re: Curbs

Postby doowyrag » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm

They look ace JimBin - keen to see how they work out.
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby Plan9Customs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Those are sweet @JimBin! im sure you know that they will also make 12' of curb or one on top of the other is fun going up or down. Glad to see you posting again and enjoy the curbs!
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:05 am

Thanks dudes. They were great, but after 2 sessions they are chunking. They are still grindable but its hit or miss whether you get through the divots or not. I'll talk to the concrete expert tomorrow and see what he says the issue is. They will be fine for slides though.

Overall, though, much fun was had! They are very popular at the spot.
Lovenskate 8.5, Venture v Lights 5.8, Rockin Rons, Muckefuck 53mm
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:00 am

Mine did the same. Its 1 of 2 things (or maybe both) Either too much water in the mix or the temperature was too low to cure properly. Both will lead to the crystallization being bigger than normal so more brittle. Mine got an unexpected cold wet week the day after I poured it. Same thing slappys are out but all slides are in play. Watch the chunky parts, they tore through a ply on a deck within a few minutes.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Return to Readers Ramps