Concrete quarter DIY

... Just what it says

Concrete quarter DIY

Postby JimBin » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:58 pm

I cut some templates for a quarter at the outdoor diy. I don't think the diy is going to last, it has been going for over 10 years but planning permission has been granted for a warehouse on the spot.
Some of the lads are bored, though, and want something to do/something new to skate.
I dropped them off at the spot this morning. They are getting started soon.
Hopefully they'll hold, they are made from 2 old wardrobe doors (covered chipboard)
They wanted fairly mellow so i went for 33" high (best i could do with what I had) and a 70" radius. Hopefully it skates ok.
I'm not much interested in tranny, I might start. There is a tiny new park 15-20 minutes away, finished a fair while but not open yet (insurance) with a mellow (looking from the outside) three quarters bowl, a quarter pipe, an A frame and bank with a ledge.
Anyway, here are the templates for the current quarter.
Last edited by JimBin on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lovenskate 8.5, Ace 44s, rocket rons and swiss l2 mixed, Loophole 54mm v shape
JimBin
I got new wheels

Re: templates for quarter

Postby JimBin » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:09 pm

I was skating today and could see some progress has been made with the quarter.
I'm doing no work on it as 1) covid, keeping my distance, and 2) if I have spare time at the moment, I want to skate.

JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:41 pm

It's starting to take shape! The platform was started yesterday. This evening, another load of concrete should be added and the coping should be arriving. Its looking good so far.
I hope I got the transition radius right and it's not too mellow or not too steep. There are a wide variety of abilities skating at the moment, it's the covid effect, I think.
I also hope the wood holds up to the weight of the concrete.

JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:56 pm

It was finished last night. I haven't seen it in person yet but looks good in photos. I think they did a great job. It all came together quickly in the end. Hopefully everyone stays off it for a couple of days and lets it dry and solidify properly.

The photos were sent to me so i blotted out the faces. I'll take some in daylight when I get back there.

JimBin
I got new wheels

Re: Concrete quarter DIY

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:15 am

That’s fawkin beautiful and good on you and everyone who helped! Those specs should be pretty good for everyone. Not super mellow and boring and not so steep/small that it’s intimidating. Just cover it in plastic and or leave sign saying when it’s ready. Looking forward to seeing so footage of it when it’s finished.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:40 pm

Thanks dude. It's a good achievement.
I skated the diy saturday and sunday morning.
The quarter is great. On saturday, the rippers were doing crazy stuff, on sunday the covid beginners were rolling up and down. On both days, I was doing f**k all. I'll have to learn transition.
Overall, the quarter is a great spec and its position changes the flow of the area. You can do the A frame and go straight towards the quarter and do tricks and then go back to the A frame or hit something else, you can go at the quarter by itself, and you can obstacles and then the quarter and more obstacles. You can hit obstacles on the same side of the space both ways without stopping.
The only thing is that the coping was to small. Another bit needs to be fitted into the top right corner and then the concrete around the corner finished. There is a pole in place at the moment to make sure the new piece of coping stays straight.
Pics and a video with shitty skating give the perspective.

JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:00 pm

The concrete at the base is cracking. there is a bit of a thunk now. I don't think it was dug deep enough.

Anyone know any quick fix that is available in europe? I came across the quikrete vinyl patcher online and it looks like it would do the job, but I can't find an equivalent here.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:36 am

Like where the quarter hits the flat or the sides? If you or someone you know is on insta you might ask @skatediy he might know of something or why it’s doing that and what to do to fix it.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:42 am

the flat. I don't do insta, but all the others do, and yeah they talk about skatediy on insta, and how to get reposted/liked/shared. It's probably the same person.
It's probably because it wasn't dug out properly.

the same thing happened on the top of the wallride quarter in he other diy:

I am hoping there is a quick patch, not a whole dig down an inch or 2 into the concrete floor and redo the bottom part.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:37 am

Im not a concrete worker or anything like that, so take this very much with a grain of salt, but all the stuff Ive looked at it looks like they'd cut down the concrete slab where the transition will start and have like an expansion crack and then dig it down a few to have enough concrete so that it wouldnt be thin and crack. Like I said though, thats what I've seen, I know nothing about it from experience.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Return to Readers Ramps