Longing for the 90s

where you skated ... and what you broke

Longing for the 90s

Postby antidzn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Skating in the 90s was, for me anyway, a beast of a time. Back then you could instantly spot a fellow skater without their wooden horse. We stood out like some baggy trousered alien culture. Skating was precious to us and we knew that outsiders just didnt get it. I remember the instant classic t shirt if you dont skate dont wear our clothes, Thats how much we cradles our culture. Thats not to say that it was an exclusive entry club. Come one and all but dont bother if you had attitude. . I just dont think skating today has that tribal feeling as skating isnt as undergroind as it was which is good as it means future generations will be able to get the buzz we still do.

Still miss those days though.
I love the smell of urethane in the morning
antidzn
smell of grip tape

Re: Longing for the 90s

Postby Brian S » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:26 pm

That sounds remarkably like the early 80's but with even fewer of us around in the dead days, you could spot a skater anywhere in Europe at the time by what they were wearing. :)
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby antidzn » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 am

Even in 87 when i got my first board (supermarket special)I was somewhat of a minor freakshow on our estate.
antidzn
smell of grip tape

Postby chuffedankles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 pm

I recall 92-94 being particularly bleak around Guildford. I pretty much just cruised about because there was no-one to skate with: the older kids had given up and younger kids just didn't know it existed. Then, '95 it boomed again. It was around this time that I was old enough to start going a bit further afield and started travelling to London to skate the Shell Centre, Parliament Square and South Bank. There was so much more positivity then, even at South-Bank which has always been notoriously cliquey. I'm sure there's a certain level of rosé tint on my outlook, but being a skater was much more of a badge of honour than it is today (although at 32 it's still how I foremost define myself).

I just try and be as positive and stoked on skating as I ever was, and when possible skate with the guys I did back then!
chuffedankles
I got new wheels

Postby antidzn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:33 am

Even when i stopped for a few years I still saw myself, as i do now, as a skater. Once your hooked its for life. With 40 looming around the corner Im getting more stoked about riding again and this site has helped a hella lot. I used to be arsed about what the young guns thought but now I think well when I was like you coming up it was a great time to be a skater and they will never experience what its like to part of a truly awesome sub culture that society just couldnt handle.
antidzn
smell of grip tape

Postby Jonst » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 am

I miss the 90's the most in terms of skating (and music for that matter) it ramped up for me when h-street hit,I loved all the flat-ground tricks of the 90's -all the no-comply variations and stuff.It just seemed to have more personality back then too,nowadays,it just seems souless.I mentioned this in my intro (noob here) I miss that it wasn't a massive business back then (by today's standards) not everyone was amazing.for example the difference in style and personalities across different teams/companies like Santa Cruz,Powell and h-street...for some reason I was always obsessed with jeff Kendall.he was good but by no means amazing...
"You didn't give up skateboarding because you got old,you got old because you gave up skateboarding"
Jonst
What mid life crisis ?

Postby SailorJerry » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:22 am

I know what you mean about the "clothes maketh the skater"

My time was between 87-93 (although I never graduated to the bloated Popsicle shape and small wheels) but the clothes and shoes never changed, not once. Apart from going through a phase of doc martens it was always skate shoes and loose fitting jeans with a suitable t shirt. When my mates were all about Nike Air Max and rave music, I was the skate punk in the Airwalks or Vans with the shaved head

Still am but with less piss and vinegar :D
is there anything punk cannot cure?
SailorJerry
nothing better to do

Postby parker_knoll » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:51 am

antidzn wrote:Even in 87 when i got my first board (supermarket special)I was somewhat of a minor freakshow on our estate.

this. there were 1,500 at my school, all boys, and three skaters, all of us in the same year.

Brian S wrote:That sounds remarkably like the early 80's but with even fewer of us around in the dead days, you could spot a skater anywhere in Europe at the time by what they were wearing. :)

this too. I remember going on holiday to Cornwall without my board but constantly wearing my one Kowabunga Skate Experience(some little Bristol company I think) tee and bonding with others also dragged away by their parents boardless :)

Jonst wrote:I miss that it wasn't a massive business back then (by today's standards) not everyone was amazing.

tbh i think it might be a smaller business now
poorly co-ordinated gnarl
parker_knoll
am I a skate geek

Postby RIJ SKATER » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:59 pm

that's exactly what happened in here (indonesia) too..
in the 90's, i thought it would be different in euroupe..
plus.. magazines and VHS tape are hard to find here in the 90's
we (indonesian) don't know how to skate properly, we just use our instinct..
we don't care about the deck or trucks size.. we just want to skate..
my first deck was a 1994 Consolidated - Andy Roy
the trucks brand was Standard, i don't know if that still exist today..
RIJ SKATER
What mid life crisis ?

Postby richard phillips » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:54 pm

I remember getting laughed at for my shoegooed airwalks at school, every fucker wore kickers and airmax trainers! 1989-91 was the best time with skating just starting to evolve into what it is today. airwalks, visons and vans were not fashionable yet either :D :D :D
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Return to Skate Stories