Progressing backwards.

where you skated ... and what you broke

Progressing backwards.

Postby samtots » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Started skating again after 10+ years off the board. It has been a 2 months now and I have been super stoked, can't wait to skate. Today. I hit a wall, I am not progressing anymore, I skate at about 1/10 of the ability that I used to skate at, some days I feel super good, others like today I feel like I am going to get wrecked. Turning 39 in a week and I want to get back to a level where I have the basics back - frontside air, sweet slashers, rocks, etc... What do you do to keep progressing? I guess it is hard, because my mind remembers how to do all that shit, but my body is not even close to being on the same page. I wrecked so hard skating a pool this morning... frontside near the tile in the shallow and just wrecked... having tons of fun but discouraged a little. Thought it would come back faster.

Sam
samtots
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Progressing backwards.

Postby hogi » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:23 pm

I was close to posting a very simlar thread a couple of months back.
Some sessions I would be stoked to just hit a couple of back to back frontside and backside slash grinds and maybe couple of rock n rolls. Other sessions this would bum me out and i would get really frustrated at my lack of progression. Especially if the night before i'd been watching youtube trick tips with a few tins of beerand thinking yeah tomorow i'm gonna try some layback f/s grinds or similar. A few wet days in a row and i'm almost itching to just get out and do that 3 trick run, (a bit like the three cord blues analogy from dogtown abut how alva skates)
Progression is a strange thing you never know the next time you session you could pull all your old stuff out of the bag and then slide o few of those rock n rolls or revert a trick out of no where! From no where last week i learned fakie tail blocks which were swiftly followed by one footed ones, crail blocks and indy ones too all in five minutes!

Stay with it as you said its been a decade out and you've only been back on board for two months. I also made a shopping list of tricks i used to do and havn't since returning and got stoked on ticking any off. Doesn't hurt to add some that yo'uve never done in your life - I almost cried the other day landing a low invert under the coping for the first time ever!

check out this article from thrasher about the skate gods especialy the last one the shred possesor!
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/behold-the-skate-gods/
hogi
I got new wheels

Postby chuffedankles » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:20 am

We are men, not boys, we have other shit on our minds that subconsciously effect how we act. I guess it's the same as one night you can drink 4 pints and feel fine and another night 1 pint knocks you down.

Whenever I feel myself getting bummed that one session wasn't as good as the last I just try and feel good that I still had a session at all, that my feet were on a board, and then smile and look forward to the next session.

Urgh, I can't think of a less dick-head way of putting it, sorry. Try watching some of the Grosso "love letters" clips and feel the stoke wash over you.

I've had many beers, sorry.
chuffedankles
I got new wheels

Postby samtots » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Dont get me wrong, I am having a total blast skating again and the parks where I live are so sweet! I wish I was a kid now just getting into skating. I know progression comes in cycles too, I remember being stale for a bit and then learning new stuff. I had a few pints last night too after wrecking hard and hurting a few points on my old bones. I was actually stoked to hit it again today but the darn wind came up and is howling... but might hit the pool and try to carve over the stairs in the shallow end.
samtots
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Tendo Hoshi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:22 am

Sam, I know exactly how you feel. At 36 I've been back on my board for nearly three years now. I've been practicing heelflips nearly the entire time, and have only started to get them down -- one-footed. Maybe I'm slow, or just afraid, but I still get excited when I see any kind of progress whatsoever. Before I quit skating in high-school I was sliding handrails like it was nothing, and now I rejoice at a sucessful shuvit. There are times when I get down too, like today when I just couldn't seem to get up onto the low manual pad. I ate it pretty hard ollieing over a construction cone and was discouraged. But then I was consistently landing other tricks I'd been working on and felt great. But what chuffedankles said really rings true - as I packed up my board and walked home with a bloody elbow and knee, it was great just to have gotten onto a board today.
Tendo Hoshi
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Brian S » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:56 am

I'm Just over a year in after a 25 year lay-off, You have days when it & yourself feel crap, you have other days where you go home buzzing, just take it as it comes, I seem to have also hit a learning wall again, maybe due to body/fitness/bottle limitations, but hey at 50 the fact I can still skate & actually walk/drive home afterwards is a bonus! :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Tendo Hoshi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:18 am

Brian S wrote:I'm Just over a year in after a 25 year lay-off, You have days when it & yourself feel crap, you have other days where you go home buzzing, just take it as it comes, I seem to have also hit a learning wall again, maybe due to body/fitness/bottle limitations, but hey at 50 the fact I can still skate & actually walk/drive home afterwards is a bonus! :lol:

I've got 14 years until I hit 50, so maybe in that time I can learn how to tre flip :D If not, I take heart knowing that I can still hopefully skate by then, just as you are.
Tendo Hoshi
What mid life crisis ?

Postby planetdonovan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 am

I agree with all the sentiments expressed here. At first, every trick you relearn feels awesome, but the pace has to slow down as you get to the harder ones - and there's also a point where you have to just commit to landing some of them, which can be a difficult cliff to step off. after 7 months back on it, I've made peace with the fact that some days, I just don't feel like I'm into it. Overall, as long as I keep enjoying it, I won't (or can't) stop.
planetdonovan
I skateboard

Return to Skate Stories