Tales from the crypt (My progress log)

where you skated ... and what you broke

Tales from the crypt (My progress log)

Postby Ziggy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Hello everyone!
For those of you who didn't read my little introduction post, I'm on my 3rd week of skating again after a 13 year pause!
I've been working hard on trying to figure out what's what again, mainly just cruising around the streets, re-learning how to ollie up curbs and just trying to get my balance back!
Last week I found this little concrete mini ramp/bowl close to my house, I've been spending a lot of time there practicing dropping in and doing some basic kick turns.
As a kid I never really rode any form of ramps or bowls, so this is all new for me.

Today I decided that it would be a great idea to go make an ass out of myself by visiting a local skate park/bowl...
As I arrived I was convinced that I had made a big mistake, the damn bowl looked like a beast from up top, it scared the crap out of me.. But I didn't want to give up without at least a broken arm or a couple of missing teeth to show for it!

I started out on the flat, practicing some pumps and kick turns, it eventually lead to trying out some carving, which was crazy fun by the way!
After an hour or so I finally summoned the courage to try to drop in at the shortest part of the bowl, which amazingly enough went fine.. I didn't even have to break anything!
Just through getting over that mental hump, I found myself dropping in all over the park (with an exception for the vert-wall!).. It was such a moral booster, the bowl didn't even look that intimidating from up top after that!

Towards the end of the day I was practicing dropping in from an axle stall position, which I found very difficult, I always worried about locking up my back wheels when dropping in, even though I managed a few times it still needs a lot of work.
Last but not least I tried to do ride up into the axle stall, but I never managed, I always ended up riding out of the bowl, not pumping enough to get up to the coping or going into the first part of a "rock n roll".

While I never landed any tricks, I felt I learned a lot today and more importantly I had a blast! I even got to drink a couple of cold ones while watching a couple of really good guys totally shred the place!

Oh and if anyone's interested, you can find some pictures of the place over here: http://www.lambroskatepark.it/en/skatepark/
Last edited by Ziggy on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ziggy
What mid life crisis ?

Re: My first trip to a bowl/skatepark

Postby Nomis » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:49 pm

Sounds like a great day and a lot of stuff to come home stoked on. One of the best things about starting skating again is that first day and the ones after of getting over the nervousness and fears and sessioning a bowl or ramp. Enjoy and keep us posted.
Nomis
I got new wheels

Postby Cookie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:01 am

It's all about the enjoyment! Dont worry about 'tricks' they will come when your ready.
The main trick is just to enjoy it, and it sounds like you certainly did.
Two fabs please Betty
Cookie
Bigger Geek

Postby flash » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:37 am

Hi ya, great stuff, really good day by the sounds of things, like they say it's just confidence, that comes naturally and with time, and yeah tricks will come, you carry on my friend, well cool,and just have fun
flash

Postby Skinnychris » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:18 am

Well done mate sounds like you had a great day!! And made great progress, especially dropping in!!! Awesome achievement!
Growing old is inevitable.....growing up is optional
Skinnychris
I got new wheels

Postby Ziggy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:40 pm

A short update:
Today after work I went to a little concrete mini ramp/bowl behind my house to practice some basic stuff.
It's a real shame that it doesn't have a proper coping, but rather just some rounded edges where the ramp meets the platform, so I guess some of the progress might be a bit deceiving.

Either way, I was hell bent on being able to ride up into an axle stall, at first it just felt impossible to switch the weight over and turn.
I spent the better part of an hour just getting up into a Rock n Roll and bailing, I was almost ready to call it a night when on what was supposed to be one of my last tries I managed to get in to some crooked resemblance of a Feeble!
Now I was too hyped to go home so I went at it, slowly, try after try I managed to turn it a bit closer to a 50-50 until finally I found myself standing in an axle stall!

After this everything went surprisingly smooth actually, I had no problem turning back down into the ramp and I managed to land the a bunch of times in a row after this!
I believe the whole ride in process is something I'll have to completely relearn once I get to a proper ramp though as this one didn't really have a coping.

Needless to say, I'm really happy about my progress! Hell, even the beer I'm drinking right now tastes better than normal!
Ziggy
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Tales from the crypt (My progress log)

Postby argylelewis » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Well done on dropping in and progressing, the feeling of progression is amazing when you step back on a board. For some reason I think it helps that I'm in a useless boring job and so when I go skate the feeling of learning new things is doubly good.

You have inspired me to cruise a bowl! Need to get on it, haven't worked up the courage to drop in (think as you get older the mental block is by far the biggest hurdle, as a kid I'd have just done it). Any tips on dropping in or just keep watching YouTube videos and then just go for it?
Jack Off Of All Trades
argylelewis
What mid life crisis ?

Postby flash » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi ya, great stuff, I'm buzzing for ya, you found pure enjoyment now,so glad you mentioned coping, you have to destroy the coping with one or both axles:-D,you have fun my friend,and yeah keep us all posted, with some pics to,what's the skate scene like where you are,are there many skaters by you ..-
flash

Postby HarryR » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:04 pm

argylelewis SKATER wrote:Any tips on dropping in or just keep watching YouTube videos and then just go for it?

Take a look here:-
viewtopic.php?t=28726
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Martin-d » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:14 am

Harry Ramsden wrote:
argylelewis SKATER wrote:Any tips on dropping in or just keep watching YouTube videos and then just go for it?

Take a look here:-
viewtopic.php?t=28726

I found the mental block easier to get over working up to it. Started on a flat bank then the smallest transition I could find and just keep going. The mental block is the biggest thing as the only time you fall is when you're not relaxed or comitted enough. Just lean in and slam that front foot down when you start to fall in. Slamming that foot gives me a sense of security anyway.
Martin-d
nothing better to do

Return to Skate Stories