First memory

where you skated ... and what you broke

First memory

Postby Trojan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:39 am

Doesn’t everyone has her/she dreamboard, meaning the deck that really meant something to ya. The deck that triggered something inside you. I still remember that board, believe I was around 7-8 years old visiting the local sport store and there it was on a shelter.

Still remember it as it was yesterday, the board was beautiful, same shape almost as the Duane Peter shape from Santa Cruz. But this was no SA deck, most of the first decks in wood that you saw were from the brand Elan, I always thought this was Swedish but apparently it was or is (?) Slovenian. The trucks I have no memories of but the wheels were red Kryptos. I asked my mom if I could have it, back then at least €200, of course she said no but the shopkeeper at least took it down from the shelter for me so I could spin the wheels and smell the wood, the logo on the backside said Elan in blue and yellow. This deck was probably a legacy from the first generation of decks.

Actually sometime after I did get a board, a lot smaller and in plastic with crap wheels, something from someone’s attic but on this deck I actually learned how to skate. But that Elan board still trickles me, I have seen a few of them, never that wide but still great boards, I believe Elan was mostly making skies but they should have sticked with the boards. When a few years after when all the American decks came we forgot about the smaller boards or non American brands, but I will never forget my first skate memory.

Anyone with pics or other Elan related? ~..
Was it really 25 years ago...........
Trojan
What mid life crisis ?

Re: First memory

Postby planetdonovan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:44 am

In 1988, when I first started getting really in tricks, like learning to ollie etc., the board that grabbed my attention was the Caballero. I never ended up owning one, but when I see a picture of one, I am reminded of starting out. As it turns out, my first proper deck was an SMA Natas mini. I don't really feel nostalgic about those old boards though, I think the modern retro shapes are much nicer.
planetdonovan
I skateboard

Postby Trojan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Was it really 25 years ago...........
Trojan
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Jimbo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:34 pm

planetdonovan wrote:In 1988, when I first started getting really in tricks, like learning to ollie etc., the board that grabbed my attention was the Caballero. I never ended up owning one, but when I see a picture of one, I am reminded of starting out. As it turns out, my first proper deck was an SMA Natas mini. I don't really feel nostalgic about those old boards though, I think the modern retro shapes are much nicer.

That's mad! It was the cab deck for me too. That's why I have the reissue hanging on my wall. I never managed to get the deck back in the day for some reason and ended up with a per welinder deck instead. I even used to watch cab's raging waters part in public domain in slow motion and on pause to get a glimpse of that deck :D
I also bought another cab deck to ride recently for nostalgia, rode it once and sold it. Those decks are best left in your memory when it comes to riding them :D
Save money on softer bushings by eating more food and drinking more beer.
Jimbo
nothing better to do

Postby j roach » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Lucero OG Bars for me, I obsessed over that deck... used to sit in class drawing my own versions of the graphic. Never got one, never saw one in a shop and 'ended up with' a Vision Lee Ralph which I also picked for the graphic (bit dark for a 10 year old as my mate pointed out recently), then my Sun God. I'm obviously a graphics slut but at least the Sun God was a great deck for me, the Lee Ralph was just stupidly huge.
j roach
nothing better to do

Return to Skate Stories