Skateworld Wokingham

where you skated ... and what you broke

Skateworld Wokingham

Postby glennh » Thu May 28, 2015 9:52 am

Hi! Old newby here, taken me sooo long to end up in here. Anyone recall the above? I spent some great times there, I recall the opening weekend and signing up for membership. I went through various set ups, starting with a Newporter from Olympus Sports, then onto various Fibreflexes (which didnt last long), Benjyboard Sablosky, then Sims Lonnie Toft, Lazers and Powerflex wheels, which I still have... Hapy days... 8)
glennh
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Skateworld Wokingham

Postby Alec » Thu May 28, 2015 11:16 am

Hi Glenn

Ex Skateworld local here.

Skated there, Winkfield, Farnborough, Fleet, Guildford, Andover amongst other places

Check out the video in the link below, Mark Harwood and his brother

http://www.inperspective.com/music/skateworld.wmv
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby glennh » Thu May 28, 2015 11:41 am

Hi Alec

You've made my day, thats bought a tear to my eye, brings it all back. Thanks! I forgot about the random phone box..

I used to skate weekends and Wednesday nights after school/college. Me and my mate used to stay after the park closed waiting for my dad to pick us up. Predgens dad used to give us a broom to sweep out the bowls for 50p or a coke float :wink:

I skated at Toomers in Newbury (indoor wooden ramps) and Billy Smarts indoor place in Winkfield too... Guildford once or twice. Fleet also.. Used to skate with a few guys from that area, David Arnoboldi and Tim Morton..
glennh
What mid life crisis ?

Postby mjlally » Thu May 28, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi Glenn,

are you still in Wokingham? Bunch of us old boys skate Sol Joel park in Earley which is not that far away if you are still in that area.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby Alec » Thu May 28, 2015 2:24 pm

Glenn, we've probably met then, I used to go to school with Arni and Tim, I was in the year below them.
Also Dave Bunton, Simon Bool, Paul Dauncey and Craig S (Spedding maybe?)

I skated Toomers too just the once though.
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec

Postby glennh » Thu May 28, 2015 5:18 pm

mjlally wrote:Hi Glenn,

are you still in Wokingham? Bunch of us old boys skate Sol Joel park in Earley which is not that far away if you are still in that area.

Yes I moved from Woodley to Earley... thats as far as I got! :D
glennh
What mid life crisis ?

Postby glennh » Thu May 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Alec wrote:Glenn, we've probably met then, I used to go to school with Arni and Tim, I was in the year below them.
Also Dave Bunton, Simon Bool, Paul Dauncey and Craig S (Spedding maybe?)

I skated Toomers too just the once though.

I knew Tim and Arni from Reading Tech circa 1978-1982. Lost touch after we all went to work. Tim started a surveying company as i recall. I heard a story re. Arni that I hope wasn't true...

Toomers was an interesting place...a few ramps and a plywood run.. and freestyle area upstairs with a juke box and small ramps. I recall it being quite dusty after a few hours of skating.
glennh
What mid life crisis ?

Postby mjlally » Thu May 28, 2015 5:39 pm

glennh wrote:

Hopefully see you at Sol Joel some time. I'm heading there for a skate about 7:30 am tomorrow morning. If it is dry.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby glennh » Thu May 28, 2015 5:46 pm

mjlally wrote:
glennh wrote:

Hopefully see you at Sol Joel some time. I'm heading there for a skate about 7:30 am tomorrow morning. If it is dry.

Yeah now I know where you guys hang out, I've seen the skate area but been too shy to stop and look :D

Lucky you, 7.30am tomorrow morning I will be at work...!! :cry:
glennh
What mid life crisis ?

Postby mjlally » Thu May 28, 2015 5:59 pm

glennh wrote:
mjlally wrote:
glennh wrote:

Yeah now I know where you guys hang out, I've seen the skate area but been too shy to stop and look :D

I'm working pretty close by so nip in before work at times. Or sneak out for a lunch session!
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby glennh » Thu May 28, 2015 6:03 pm

mjlally wrote:
glennh wrote:
mjlally wrote:
glennh wrote:

I'm working pretty close by so nip in before work at times. Or sneak out for a lunch session!

Lucky you, I'm overlooking St Pauls.. not exactly a going home at lunchtime location :D

I'm thinking of buying a new 'retro' set-up. My old Sims is started to look a bit aged.. ~..
glennh
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Alec » Thu May 28, 2015 6:43 pm

I'm afraid the story you heard about Arni is true if it's what I'm thinking it is.

Funny thing is I messaged another member on here regarding Arni only this morning. :shock:
Alec

Postby glennh » Thu May 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Alec wrote:I'm afraid the story you heard about Arni is true if it's what I'm thinking it is.

Funny thing is I messaged another member on here regarding Arni only this morning. :shock:

I don't know what happened, only I heard he had passed away somehow.. Was it an accident? MySelf, Tim and Dave were really close mates at college.. He was a nice guy.
glennh
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Alec » Fri May 29, 2015 12:09 am

glennh wrote:
Alec wrote:I'm afraid the story you heard about Arni is true if it's what I'm thinking it is.

I don't know what happened, only I heard he had passed away somehow.. Was it an accident? MySelf, Tim and Dave were really close mates at college.. He was a nice guy.

I'm not 100% sure have heard two different versions of events.

Late 80's the then Mrs B and I were out for a meal at a local restaurant and bumped into Dave and his wife, ended up joining them and they paid for our meal, then lost touch before I could return the compliment, was gutted to hear he had passed away, I looked up to him at school.
Alec

Postby glennh » Fri May 29, 2015 10:41 am

Alec wrote:
glennh wrote:

I'm not 100% sure have heard two different versions of events.

Late 80's the then Mrs B and I were out for a meal at a local restaurant and bumped into Dave and his wife, ended up joining them and they paid for our meal, then lost touch before I could return the compliment, was gutted to hear he had passed away, I looked up to him at school.

Sad. Just goes to show life is too short.
glennh
What mid life crisis ?

Postby glennh » Fri May 29, 2015 10:43 am

Alec wrote:Hi Glenn

Ex Skateworld local here.

Skated there, Winkfield, Farnborough, Fleet, Guildford, Andover amongst other places

Check out the video in the link below, Mark Harwood and his brother

http://www.inperspective.com/music/skateworld.wmv

That photo of you... the ad in the background for the skateshop in Kings Rd Reading... I used to go there alot, it all got ripped down in the 80s. There was also Olympus Sports in the Butts Centre and Tuttys in London St.
glennh
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Alec » Fri May 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Alec

Postby glennh » Sun May 31, 2015 1:25 pm

Superb pics Alec, takes me back like it was yesterday. And he sun was always shining 8)
glennh
What mid life crisis ?

Postby PaulD » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Hi Alec & glennh,

Just signed on to the forum.....

Looking at the video and thats me, about 45 seconds from the end! Really bad red & yellow shorts, getting some air in the pool.

Alec - its been a long time. I assume you can guess who I am from your conversation above?
PaulD
I'm too scared to post more

Postby Alec » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Bloody hell, is that Paul Dauncey?

:shock:
Alec

Postby PaulD » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:56 pm

Got it in one Alec! :D

Having a great time reading through this site - sooooo many memories!

Did you recognise me in the video above ?
PaulD
I'm too scared to post more

Return to Skate Stories