You gotta start somewhere I suppose

where you skated ... and what you broke

You gotta start somewhere I suppose

Postby CptCornflake » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:37 pm

I had never really skateboarded before the start of the year and that was only on a longboard used for trolling up and down the prom. I loved it though, there is just something about it that felt so relaxing. I don’t need to explain to you guys I guess as you all know full well what I mean.
I only really used it as a way of tiring the hound out but soon found meself looking for any excuse to take the board out. I then felt the need to progress a little more and set meself the target of being able to ollie by the time I’m 40 :lol:
I bought a cheap deck and lashed me longboard trucks and massive wheels to it but it was twitchy as hell and it scared the crap out of me at any sort of speed but I was adamant that I wasn’t going to be the bad workman who blames his tools so persevered. I was soon told that my trucks were not fit for purpose because of the reverse king pin thing (I had no idea they were different !) So I bought some Indy 169's which came with smaller wheels and away I went.
It’s been 3 or 4 weeks since that now and even though it may not look like it from the video below, I feel I have come on leaps and bounds and find meself feeling hungry to learn more and push meself mentally to overcome the fear of rolling off something bigger than a curb or the terrifying "drop in".
Anyways the reason I thought I’d start this thread was because I found quite a bit of inspiration from those who are better than me and the whole "if he can do it than so can I" attitude and one day hope to offer that inspiration to other people, if they can see the progression I can make then they can do it for sure !

3 weeks ago I couldn’t oliie, roll down a flat bank, drop in, drop off a curb or control the board or meself at any sort of speed. I still can’t ollie, drop in or pretty much do anything else but I’m loving it :D Oh and this is the first time I have ever edited a video :roll: Also plenty bloody room for improvement here too :lol:

Thirty something, beard toting, mongo pushing wannabe "hipster" tossing about on a childs toy.
CptCornflake
I skateboard

Re: You gotta start somewhere I suppose

Postby Noidear » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Love the video and good on you for the progression. It's slow progress but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Noidear
I got new wheels

Postby duck » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Nice little video! And yes good idea to start filming early on - it will be good to for you look back on as you progress. I wish I'd got some of my very early progress, I started in march 2013, and I literally could not even kickturn on a flat bank, but didn't start filming until I started practicing drop-ins almost a year later. You should tell your camera crew to hold the phone horizontally! And why do you have a gert hole in your board? (looks like it might snap easily if you land on it in the middle).
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby misterbleepy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:59 pm

cool video, just watched it again to checkout the hole - wow - I have a board with loads of extra holes in it for fiddling with wheelbase etc, plus to screw my camera to the board, but they're all tiny. We need to know what the big hole is for :-)
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Robin.83 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:35 pm

Wish I'd recorded my progression, would help to look and see what you're doing wrong technique wise too. Keep it up!

Like the song too, is it J5?
Robin.83
skate skate skate

Postby TonyB » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Excellent start. Your progress is pretty good if it's only been three weeks.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Brad Brains » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Rad, dude. That's a good part of what it's all about, the feeling of rolling and learning new tricks-that stoke when you land something you've been working on. The bruises and bumps are well worth it.
Skating since you were swimming in your Dad's nutsack.
Brad Brains
I got new wheels

Postby Unciano » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:29 pm

Whereabouts is that park? It looks nice!
Unciano
nothing better to do

Postby Moggot » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Nice one, I'm 42 and just started back and so far can only cruise round the flats ~..
Middle Aged Spreader.
Moggot
I skateboard

Postby nevertooold » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:41 pm

Cool, I'm 43 and never stepped on a board until about 3 months ago.
I can now do pretty decent kick turns I'm pumping on the quarter pipe,and can roll down an assortment of slopes! Yet to drop in but I'm pretty sure I'll get there. Broke my wrist a while ago so that hasn't helped, but I love it and am having a great time practicing and when you finally pull off something you've been trying to do its the best feeling
nevertooold
nothing better to do

Postby CptCornflake » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks guys :oops:

I have done one or two things over years where I wished Id documented things a bit more from the start and I suppose publishing things on a site like this with other like minded folks makes me kinda accountable to push myself and progress.

Robin.83 wrote: Like the song too, is it J5?

1/5th right, Its a group called breakestra with the incredible Chali 2na on that track (sposed to be) If you get chance check out their dusk till dawn album, if you like J5 You'll love it :wink:

Unciano wrote:Whereabouts is that park? It looks nice!

Halton, just outside Lancaster. Its small but cool. I have been taking the kids on and off over the years but been going regularly over the past month and have already met some cracking folks. Obviously there is Steve (GoR64) top chap and some really sound regulars.

The deck ehh :lol: I would post a pick but I can't log on to me photobucket thing from me laptop as i can't remember me password but it is a Skate Mental / Huf collaboration called the glory hole :roll: Im sure you can google it. I have to lie to the kids at the park and say it makes it easier to carry. if i do end up snapping it then I'm doing thing right arnt I ?? plus it gives me an excuse to buy one of them tasty looking Welcome planks !

Thanks for the kind words guys, just gotta keep getting out there and improving and keeping this thread up to date ..-
Thirty something, beard toting, mongo pushing wannabe "hipster" tossing about on a childs toy.
CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby micke » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:10 pm

I started with empty hands and have pretty much all left.

48 yo, skating for about 1 and 1/2. Slow progression, fractured shoulder, bad ass equipment.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby CptCornflake » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:10 am

Thats exactly the reason I wanted to start this thread Micke, I havnt been around here long at all but have seen a lot of your posts and made the assumption you had been skating for years (especially with your obsession with one or two certain brands :D ) I kinda just want others who may stumble onto this site (as I did) who have held back from giving skating ago because they think they are too old or its something that only kids piss around with. I still dont comprehend how limitless skating is and knowing I will never fully master it is awesome.

Awesome picture Micke, I will manage to get that high one day :D
CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby micke » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:21 am

Haha. Before age 46 I never skated.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby PommeFritz » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:14 pm

Watching that video made me happy. You look relaxed on the board and for my money, that's worth 10x more than kids who have the tricks but look like a bag of sticks
PommeFritz
smell of grip tape

Postby fatty » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:21 am

Nice one! Definitely looking relaxed. I've not even been out yet - nice to watch you rolling around. I'm inspired.
fatty
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Noah » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:57 am

To the original poster, KEEP IT UP.
Looking good.
SKATER
Noah
skate skate skate

Postby Vinnielopez » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:57 am

Awesome you are an inspiration to me as I get going again after 20+ years of not skating
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Postby Vinnielopez » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:58 am

b~ b~
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Postby CptCornflake » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:00 am

Week 8 (or so) update.....

I have been trying to get out as and when I can but its only been a handfull of times since the last post. I went to the go skate day event at Ramp City the other week which was my fisrt ever time at an indoor park on a board and I was well impressed :D Loads to do and I was fucked after an hour :lol:
I got talking to a dude who mentioned they have a little meet up on wednesdays and to pop down and have a crack with them so I popped down to find the park absolutely dead, not a soul. It was bloody awesome having an entire park to yourself :D Anyways I shot some footage, nothing fancy just me trying to practice me kick turns on the transitions and about 100 attempts of my failing to drop in, Im hoping to try and chop these down to around 3 minutes over the weekend then I will post it but until then I will leave you with this nice little action shot of me attacking the coping :shock:

CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby GoR64 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:39 pm

Very quick blast of the spine in Barrow, the trick is to go fast!

Well done lad.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby CptCornflake » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:07 am

Haha thanks mate :lol:
Thats the fastest I have seen myself skate ! Im starting to learn its all about speed, flow and balls and that I need all three :wink:
CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby Ratskank » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:36 pm

You Sir are a massive inspiration, just starting out and stories like this are what I need!!

P.S. Great beard too!!
"Too much is never enough"
Ratskank
What mid life crisis ?

Postby CptCornflake » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:33 am

:oops:

Im just bloody loving it at the minute 8)

We had a bit of a sesh at a local indoor recently and really got the hang on pumping on the midis, I was loving it and felt it was the first time I have actually learnt something. The rest of the shit is just trying not to fall off but I have been trying to figure out how to pump for weeks and now feel I have a good basic pump down, I didnt get any of it on film though but I will :wink:

Still struggling with the drop ins :|
CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby GoR64 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:45 pm

Dropping in already!

Link for mobile users
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby CptCornflake » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:41 pm

:D
Where is the 10 minutes of footage before hand mate ? :lol:

Every credit goes to you and your expert hand holding :wink:

Thanks for pushing me Steve.
CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby Unciano » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Good on you, beneath the beard I imagine you were grinning like a loon. :D
Unciano
nothing better to do

Postby GoR64 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:07 pm

CptCornflake wrote:Thanks for pushing me Steve.

Pushed yourself dude, I'm just happy I was there to see it :D

Ha and holding onto a manual on your second one was pretty cool too!
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby HarryR » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:27 pm

Well done that man!

That second one, dodgy as it was, was one of those learning moments where you realise a bit of adjustment is needed and you don't do it again. Hanging on was indeed pretty cool :-)
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby richard phillips » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:32 pm

that's differently a new underpants moment, but the manuals held and any brown torpedos to :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby CptCornflake » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:17 pm

:lol: Thanks guys, I cant remember that manual happening ! I think they smoothed out a little shortley after that and then managed a couple of kick turns out of the far side too. Im looking forward to dropping in on something slightly bigger soon, There was a slightly taller ( possibly 3 - 4 foot) in the next room I was eyeing up.

Also, I have booked a day off in a week or two and Im going to venture out to Ramp1 with the kids, That place looks amazing 8)

I will be hitting Ramp City again soon to, may be get a night in next week somewhere. Just loving it all :D
CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby misterbleepy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:26 pm

Congrats on the drop-ins :D
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby CptCornflake » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:23 am

I took the day off yesterday to take the kids out to Ramp1 and since I managed the little drop ins the other week I went armed with a to do list which was the first four rounds of the MAS transitions. Managed the first three rounds and progressed on to slightly bigger drops so I was pretty stoked by the end of the day. Shit it on round four though (Rock fakies) I have swelling just above the ankle now where the board kept smashing into it. I’m determined to have these fettled in the next few weeks or so.

Also met some radical dudes yesterday 8)

Anyways couple of vids from yesterdays antics.

CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby Fen » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:34 pm

Well done, looks like you had a very productive day. Wish I could of made the session at Ramp1 yesterday but I couldn't get the time off work. That micro ramp is great for learning on although i would do the rock fakes on the one you did the first drop in on in the 3rd clip if you didn't already. I found it easier to do them on there cos you have more time to set up.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby richard phillips » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:00 pm

coming on nicely there cpt cornflake your looking more steady now, all you need to do is bend your knees and loosen up a bit :). with a looser stance you will keep more speed and balance, also when you try more advanced stuff you will have a better solid platform 8) 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by richard phillips on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby Moggot » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:20 pm

Nice one Capt!
Love the videos.
Middle Aged Spreader.
Moggot
I skateboard

Postby Eimaj2 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:14 am

Nice progress man! Good to see you enjoy the indys :wink:
Eimaj2
skate skate skate

Postby GoR64 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:48 pm

I'll just leave this here... think we worked out it was a smidge under 6ft :)

GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby duck » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:54 pm

Nice work :) And love the nano-ramp at the end!
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby Andrew_Culture » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:43 am

Cool to see you nailing the drop ins. My turn next...
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby CptCornflake » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:47 pm

3 months since my first drop in on the little mini and hitting the bigger stuff :D

They do look smaller on the video than they felt stood on top ! must have something to do with my face being 12 foot away from the floor.

Next on the check list is the rock fakies, axle stalls and learning how to ride a bowl :|

Thanks for the video Steve :wink:
CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:14 pm

CptCornflake wrote:3 months since my first drop in on the little mini and hitting the bigger stuff :D

They do look smaller on the video than they felt stood on top ! must have something to do with my face being 12 foot away from the floor.

Next on the check list is the rock fakies, axle stalls and learning how to ride a bowl :|

Thanks for the video Steve :wink:

It's the large drop thing that puts me off. Although I'll happily trundle down a slope much higher!

I just need to try it and be dammed with the consequences!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby #skatedog » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:53 pm

Dude you are pretty rad in your videos , gettin some height on those ollies and the vids on the ramps are cool, hoping I can be like that after a few months, keep skatin bro, looks like you are having the best time ever
#skatedog
skate skate skate

Return to Skate Stories