Thank F*** for helmets and pads

where you skated ... and what you broke

Postby Orbitfish » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:08 pm

After a couple of hours at Inverness park this morning (van in for a service), started to get tired and got hung up trying to rock'n'roll on the six foot, fell, landed backwards and bounced my loaf off the bottom :roll: , didn't 'arf feel it, but got straight back up thanks to helmet. Dizzy and shaken, but otherwise unhurt :) Had plenty of other spills that would've really hurt without helmet, Smiths Scabs and Killer 187 elbow pads and 888 wrist/hand guards.
Didn't half get hot though :D
Excellent session, totally knackered after three hours in an almost empty park, just seemed to keep at it constantly, because there was no waiting...shame I won't get another shot for a week or so; just have to get back and re-learn it all again next time.

..-
Witchcraft - Nun So Vile (9"); Indy 169's - Bones HC Med; Death Snakes - 57mm with Hard Luck Ceramics
Helmet; Elbows - Killer 187; Knees - Smiths Scabs; Hands - 888 wrist guards; Hips - Bullet padded shorts (modified)
Mongo with pads on
Orbitfish
skate skate skate

Re: Thank F*** for helmets and pads

Postby CptCornflake » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:03 am

I have spent a small fortune on pads and such over the past couple of months but still find it hard getting out of the habit only putting them on once I have fallen off :|
Thirty something, beard toting, mongo pushing wannabe "hipster" tossing about on a childs toy.
CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby Jimbo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:35 pm

Good to here you're ok! Out of interest, what kind of helmet was it?
Save money on softer bushings by eating more food and drinking more beer.
Jimbo
nothing better to do

Postby HarryR » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Glad you're ok. I know how that feels.

It probably won't happen again for absolutely ages, if at all, but don't let that lull you into a false sense of security. Always wear your lid. The million in one chance when you hit your bonce you'll be glad you still wore it.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Vintage Skater » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:47 am

Lids are a good invention. Like everyone else most half my age started off with baseball cap for head protection.
3 months in and 6 stitches to the nogin lesson learned. Concrete hurts! :shock:
Vintage Skater
smell of grip tape

Postby Orbitfish » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:41 am

Jimbo wrote:Good to here you're ok! Out of interest, what kind of helmet was it?

Nothing special...£20 generic from Amaze-you-on. Polystyrene lining has been noticeably squashed, but it should be ok for another few knocks :D
Witchcraft - Nun So Vile (9"); Indy 169's - Bones HC Med; Death Snakes - 57mm with Hard Luck Ceramics
Helmet; Elbows - Killer 187; Knees - Smiths Scabs; Hands - 888 wrist guards; Hips - Bullet padded shorts (modified)
Mongo with pads on
Orbitfish
skate skate skate

Postby Toon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:53 pm

i just got some scabs pads,knee and elbow, went to mini ramp, rock fakie to hip plant on the bottom lol. Nice bruise, bloody usless pads.
https://www.instagram.com/richy_skates/
Toon
skate skate skate

Postby SidcupSlam » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:12 pm

If you slam on your hip as much as I do, I heartily recommend POC ski shorts with VPD padding. Pricey, but an essential piece of kit in my armour.
SidcupSlam
I skateboard

Postby MikeyC » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:30 am

I have had 1 good head vs concrete on a 5050 fall my helmet saved me thats for sure. I always wear padded shorts (my hip learnt that lesson the hard way) Need to wear my elbow pads more tho as my right elbow is constantly bruised at the moment.
Pain is only weakness leaving the body
MikeyC
smell of grip tape

Postby HarryR » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:42 am

MikeyC wrote:Need to wear my elbow pads more tho as my right elbow is constantly bruised at the moment.

I'm guessing you ride goofy and go off the front of your board with your elbow leading?

This is my default bail position and after suffering a bruised elbow too many times I've taken to wearing a double pad on my right elbow, a soft inner one and another capped one over that. Does the job.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby reckless toboggan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Just found a new head protection thing, so I figured I'd post it in here.

Not affiliated or anything, but I just heard about these. http://2ndskull.com/

It's a beanie with d3o type material, they they recommend wearing under a helmet to additionally reduce impact speed, and hopefully reduces the amount your brain sloshes around in your head.

I'm wondering if you could just wear the beanie for slow street skating type stuff, and if that would work as well as a full hardshell helmet with the usual polystyrene in it?

Anyone seen these in real life?
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby tom.hoffman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:33 am

reckless toboggan wrote:Just found a new head protection thing, so I figured I'd post it in here.

It's a beanie with d3o type material, they they recommend wearing under a helmet to additionally reduce impact speed, and hopefully reduces the amount your brain sloshes around in your head.

I'm wondering if you could just wear the beanie for slow street skating type stuff, and if that would work as well as a full hardshell helmet with the usual polystyrene in it?

Ah... I suspected such a thing must exist. One of the groms placing high on the Vans Park Series circuit always has on a suspiciously thick and carefully positioned Red Bull knit cap that I figured had some kind of padding integrated into it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that -- it is better than nothing.

I would say it definitely would not work as well as a full hardshell helmet. It might lessen the chance of fracturing your skull, but won't help your brain decelerating into the side of your skull.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby MikeyC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:04 am

HarryR wrote:
MikeyC wrote:Need to wear my elbow pads more tho as my right elbow is constantly bruised at the moment.

I'm guessing you ride goofy and go off the front of your board with your elbow leading?

This is my default bail position and after suffering a bruised elbow too many times I've taken to wearing a double pad on my right elbow, a soft inner one and another capped one over that. Does the job.

Yep goofy, have a problem when I rock and roll or turn in from a 5050 trick sometimes my front foot slips half off the board. When I land my weights all wrong and I fall forwards and to the right onto my right elbow. Im trying to do all the turning with my dominant (right) foot which also has next to no weight on it. Its something I'm working on :)
Pain is only weakness leaving the body
MikeyC
smell of grip tape

Postby Toon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:33 pm

SidcupSlam wrote:If you slam on your hip as much as I do, I heartily recommend POC ski shorts with VPD padding. Pricey, but an essential piece of kit in my armour.

thanks sidcup, ill look into those......
Toon
skate skate skate

Postby misterbleepy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:06 am

Toon wrote:
SidcupSlam wrote:If you slam on your hip as much as I do, I heartily recommend POC ski shorts with VPD padding. Pricey, but an essential piece of kit in my armour.

thanks sidcup, ill look into those......

another recommendation here for the POC ski shorts - very effective, and not too bulky
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby barney » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:24 am

I've been going back and forth on padding up when skating transition. Always wear a lid but knee pads and elbow pads started to seem a bit much, and getting so hot isn't great.

Decided recently that I will pad up to skate the mini ramp at the House, it's 'only' 4 feet but it deffo makes me feel better.
Yesterday I hung up on a rock fakie (fully decked which obviously threw me as I'm not normally that far onto the platform) so... you know the drill, flying to the flat bottom.
Got my elbows in front of me and just landed on pads. No bruises, nothing. Got up and carried on skating. One younger kid said "that's why you wear pads!" Obviously he wasn't wearing any :roll:

If I hadn't padded up that would have been much nastier.
I don't get the opportunity to skate that often so even if a slam makes me miss a session or two thats pretty crap.
barney
I skateboard

Postby Toon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Im thinking 65 notes for some POC ski shorts is a small price to pay for weeks of bruised and battered hips. Can you wear them under your normal pants/shorts? I do want to learn a decent amount of tricks on the mini, so I will be bailing a lot. :lol:
Toon
skate skate skate

Postby misterbleepy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Toon wrote:Can you wear them under your normal pants/shorts?

That’s how I wear them - as long as your shorts aren’t tight it shouldn’t be a problem
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Moi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:50 am

I am almost religious when it comes to pads. head, wrist, knee, elbow --even butt protection. and yet, I had my worst slam with all these things on me. doing a boneless in a concrete pool. front leg missed the board and it slammed back in my face on landing. nearly knocked me out. I looked like a had a sparring session with nate diaz. it took me a year to get back…
Moi
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Mark_81 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Slammed hard this morning - burned through 3 layers of clothing in my elbow area.................... I wasn't wearing pads - I will be tomorrow. ~..
Instagram grey_ham_81
Mark_81
I got new wheels

Return to Skate Stories