My (skateboarding) history...

where you skated ... and what you broke

My (skateboarding) history...

Postby Old time sk8er » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi All,

Having been back on the board after nearly 27 years and finding this forum, I thought I'd share a bit of my personal skateboarding past.

At the age of 10 I'd seen a few older kids skating around doing Ollies and such like. From that day onwards, I knew I needed to learn myself.
A kid up the road from me had a cheap plastic board which I borrowed for a bit to try and get to grips with at least pushing myself along. The bearings were so crap this seemed to take an age to get the hang of.

Then I had to nag my parents to buy me my own board. For my 11th birthday a trip to 'Toys r Us' in Woking, Surrey bagged me my first board. It was devoid of any concave, however the deck was at least made of wood, and it was mine!

As I had no one to skate with and no videos to watch, progress was slow.
However, once I got a friend into it too, we practiced together and helped each other hone our skills.

1st instalment - TBC. (Run out of time now!)
Old time sk8er
smell of grip tape

Re: My (skateboarding) history...

Postby Old time sk8er » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:34 am

Continued-

We eventually met a few other kids in the area who skated and this provided the opportunity to hitch a lift with whoever's parents had been nagged sufficiently to give us a lift to Woking, Southsea or Harrow. Although this was a rare treat to be honest.

I remember my first visit to Surrey Skates in Woking and marvelling at the array of decks and wheels that were there. Owning one, at that time was just a dream though.

Eventually, having saved up enough pocket and birthday money, I purchased my first 'proper' setup; a Santa Cruz Jason Jesse Neptune graphics in a dark green/turquoise colour, with Indy trucks, Slimeball wheels and NMB bearings!

I was so proud of that board. My first proper skateboard.
Shortly after, my best friend got a similar setup for Xmas.

I'll never forget the day we both skated together with our new boards, safe in the knowledge that we wouldn't be laughed at for our boards.

One memory that will never leave me is the day we both got to grips with Ollies.
Grasping hold of my friend's garden wall, we practiced over and over until slowly but surely we cracked it (not the wall!). and could see that we were actually getting off the ground!

Instalment 2 - TBC
Old time sk8er
smell of grip tape

Postby pete » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:39 am

8) :mrgreen: 8)
pete
nothing better to do

Postby Old time sk8er » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Continued-

Once we'd got to grips with Ollies, other tricks seemed to come together more quickly.

I have fond memories of skating around the town centre on Sunday afternoons. This being in the 1980's the shops were shut and it was deserted.

We regularly use to congregate round the back of our local MFI Furniture store (remember them?) to stack pallets and shift sheets of chipboard to create rudimentary 'half pipes' and 'quater pipes'.

Moving to my time at Secondary School, it came to the time to agree and arrange our 'Work Experience ' (For those unfamiliar with this. It is just as the description. Two weeks at a real place of work)
Now I was possibly a little more creative than my fellow pupils with this.... :mrgreen:

I felt that two weeks working for NEW DEAL SKATES within Harrow Skate Park would be an ideal experience for an Individual such as myself. :D :twisted:

That two weeks was a great insight to the commercial side/world of skateboarding, the culture and changing fashions and trends.
During my time at New Deal, they witnessed their most successful month to date in terms of turnover.
As I wasn't paid for my two weeks work (it wasn't allowed) they gave me a new pair of Vans and a copy of their new (as yet unreleased) video-
This video was pretty groundbreaking stuff, at the time, if I remember correctly. Being in such an enviable position of exclusivity, I thought it only right to share....
I made contact with RAD Skateboard Magazine regarding the video. They were only too pleased for me to write a review/article on the film. This i subsequently did and it went into print in the following month's issue.
I still have the copy of it (with my name in print). Didn't get paid for it though (mug!).

Instalment -3
Old time sk8er
smell of grip tape

Postby bubi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:41 pm

dude I love you!

I had a jason jessee deck too! infact, it was my last non popsicle deck and I remember getting it as a trade or something from a fellow skate pal or something. before that I had the hosoi and after that I got this cheap on sale deck.
Anyway, great story, the working week is really cool and at harrow! wow, you cool person.

me, I'm still learning my ollies.
It really sucks that when you have time and money to do whatever you want you don't have the physique and bones break easy. me, anyway.
I mean, as if I had time and money... but you get my drift.

I got back to skating after I had my kids, because before then I was too embarassed and shy. like look at that old fart! now I get compliments like you rad guy taking your kids skating! and me like what you say? sorry my brain is bleeding.
too bad my kids are still small so by the time they are in their teens and shredding I will be a zombie and old as fuck.
skating is just so motivational, how can you not love it and not keep at it?
bubi
I skateboard

Postby Old time sk8er » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:54 pm

bubi wrote:dude I love you!

I had a jason jessee deck too! infact, it was my last non popsicle deck and I remember getting it as a trade or something from a fellow skate pal or something. before that I had the hosoi and after that I got this cheap on sale deck.
Anyway, great story, the working week is really cool and at harrow! wow, you cool person.

It really sucks that when you have time and money to do whatever you want you don't have the physique and bones break easy. me, anyway.

I got back to skating after I had my kids, because before then I was too embarassed and shy. like look at that old fart! now I get compliments like you rad guy taking your kids skating! and me like what you say? sorry my brain is bleeding.
too bad my kids are still small so by the time they are in their teens and shredding I will be a zombie and old as fuck.

Hi Bubi,

Glad you liked my story/history.
After a 27 year break, I'm loving every minute of my skating.
I just wish I had more time to spend doing it!

Re Ollies - my advice to you would be keep practicing, and find a lowish wall that you can hold on to.
If you practice this way you'll find it easier to focus on the action needed (to ollie) and not on balancing. Keep at it, you'll get there.
Old time sk8er
smell of grip tape

Postby bubi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Old time sk8er wrote:
bubi wrote:dude I love you!

Hi Bubi,

Glad you liked my story/history.
After a 27 year break, I'm loving every minute of my skating.
I just wish I had more time to spend doing it!

Re Ollies - my advice to you would be keep practicing, and find a lowish wall that you can hold on to.
If you practice this way you'll find it easier to focus on the action needed (to ollie) and not on balancing. Keep at it, you'll get there.
Hey I am getting there...!
I get kids ask to teach them how to ollie now.
5 cm...

BUBI 0_0
bubi
I skateboard

Return to Skate Stories