Sprained ankle

Now you broke it, etc.. and how to make it better ....

Sprained ankle

Postby JimBin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:56 pm

I sprained my ankle on thursday. I thought it would mean no skating for a day or two. Looks like it could be longer. Shit.
My ankle is still swollen and turning purple. I guess the purple is good and means i'm getting better. Not too happy with the swelling. I though it would be gone down by now. I can walk gingerly for a couple of minutes today, though. The stairs in murder.

I've missed a few potential skates already. And I definitely can't skate tomorrow. And possibly tuesday. This is going to be hard.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Re: Sprained ankle

Postby Corey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:51 am

Ankles are the worst.. Heal up quick and strong JB!
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby undertime » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:13 am

Aw man... sorry to hear that.

Done both my ankles. Last time was a year ago and it looked like this - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb9D_7shAH8/ Took about five or six weeks to get back to normal(ish) - although neither has ever been quite the same - and had to stay off the board completely for maybe two.

There's plenty of stuff on here regarding exercises etc, which I thoroughly recommend you pay heed to (tracing letters of the alphabet with your foot etc). Get some good supports too if you can. I now wear Aircast a60 braces on both ankles every time I skate - I can't stand the thought of being off the board again!

Anyway, good luck and heal fast JB!
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby JimBin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks for the good wishes. This is the state of it today. Still swollen but improving.

I will skip my usual Tuesday skates but am hopeful I will be back soon. Depending on how it feels when I get back on the board, I'll look in to getting supports.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby undertime » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:30 am

Fuck me JimBim, that's pretty swollen! If a picture says 1000 words every one of those is 'ouch'.

Unfortunately I'd mentally steel yourself for a little while off the board. You definitely don't want to turn it again while it's in the recovery stage. A brace will help you get back early, but you'll be limited in what you can (and should) do.

Anyway, positive vibes beaming your way...
undertime
Super Geek

Postby Mark_81 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Heal fast & stronger dude.... looks proper painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram markj_81
Mark_81
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Undertime, you are right. I am still slightly swollen and walking still hurts. This my take some time. Shit.
Thanks Mark, it is still a bit painful. It's also painful not skating.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:26 pm

I tried to skate last week. Didn't work so well.
Still hobbling a bit and still have a lump on mt ankle. It is more of a lump now, not swelling.
I have ordered an ankle brace and hope too skate again next week. Will take it slow first, maybe some slappies weather permitting and leave the impact stuff for another while.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Skatalite » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:55 pm

Oh man, that ankle looks nasty, give it plenty of time, maybe do something else active that's less likely to inflame it. Like squash or full contact hopscotch
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby JimBin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am

My ankle feels better (ish) and I might try and skate a little over the weekend. Will keep it extra gentle and i have an ankle brace for support.
It's been 5 weeks since i hurt it and it's been hard not skating. It was also hard yelping when i had to walk up or down a stairs.
I looked at the fall finally and it doesn't seem as bad on camera as i remember it. I can remember seeing my ankle twist in real time and knowing trouble was coming. It doesn't look like a big twist on camera. Maybe it is like speed and height etc - i think i am going fast and high, and then see the footage and realise I'm not.

Anyway, here is the footage of the fall, along with 2 crooks.

Link: https://vimeo.com/304932042
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Glenouille » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am

At first I could not see how you did it and I paused the video at 00:21... Damn, I disagree it does look bad! Go easy during the next sesh buddy!
Those grinds were ace btw Jim! 8)
Glenouille
I got new wheels

Postby undertime » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:34 pm

I really did not enjoy watching that JimBin. I don't like seeing people hurt themselves (agree with Glen about the grinds though!).

Use the ankle brace but do take it easy. You don't want to aggravate the injury and be straight back to square ouch.

Take care man *<:-)
undertime
Super Geek

Postby JimBin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:23 am

Thanks dudes.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Return to Injury Bench