Patellar tendonitis (knee), any thoughts?

Now you broke it, etc.. and how to make it better ....

Patellar tendonitis (knee), any thoughts?

Postby queuecontinuum » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Hey guys,

This is my first post after discovering this forum this week.

About a year ago I had minor knee surgery (lateral release + clean up) for a persistent pain. The surgery was successful and that pain is gone. However, pre and post-surgery atrophy + pushing myself at the gym caused me to develop patellar tendonitis (south of knee cap) in that left knee. I tried skating about 6 months post-surgery and the tendonitis increased.

I haven't tried skating since, instead focusing on stretching and resting.

I'm 28 years old and I'd like to find a way to bulk up my thigh/leg muscles without exacerbating my patellar tendonitis to the point where it becomes chronic and a barrier to skating.

My goal is to get back into light skating: cruising around, skating transition, etc.

Anyone ever had patellar tendonitis? Do you think gentle mini-pipe skating might be best for building muscle without stressing the tendon?

Any advice would be very much appreciated -- this forum looks like it's thriving and supportive, so I'm looking forward to being here.

Thanks!
queuecontinuum
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Patellar tendonitis (knee), any thoughts?

Postby JadedOlive » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Maybe try swimming? No impact but a good workout
JadedOlive
I like skateboarding

Postby GoR64 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:07 pm

I'd say spinning, but have a read of this: http://runnersconnect.net/running-injur ... s-running/
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby Unciano » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:41 pm

queuecontinuum wrote:Anyone ever had patellar tendonitis? Do you think gentle mini-pipe skating might be best for building muscle without stressing the tendon?

I've sent you a pm
Unciano
nothing better to do

Postby Corey » Sat May 28, 2016 12:06 pm

Excuse my thread necromancy, but I was thinking about posting my own thread about the same subject. I´ve probably got the same thing. Usually kept under control by not exercising or skating too much, but after skating street on harder wheels than usual yesterday - my knees now ache like a motherlover. Anyone have any success stories about significantly improving this by exercising - or do I just accept my fate and start pestering my doc about getting me some new knees?
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby mjlally » Sat May 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Corey wrote:Excuse my thread necromancy, but I was thinking about posting my own thread about the same subject. I´ve probably got the same thing. Usually kept under control by not exercising or skating too much, but after skating street on harder wheels than usual yesterday - my knees now ache like a motherlover. Anyone have any success stories about significantly improving this by exercising - or do I just accept my fate and start pestering my doc about getting me some new knees?

I had to stop running in my early twenties due to knee problems, went down the accepting my fate route until in my thirties I discovered that gentle jogging on soft surfaces, with proper warm up and followed by stretching, and a few days recovery between efforts, my legs and knees got strong enough to do a half marathon on roads. Its time rather than my knees that puts me off doing a marathon, but might try it if I my half marathon time goes below an hour and a half.

The more I learn about exercise the more it seems possible to undo and repair damage even in middle age. Within limits, I'm not twenty any more and never will be! But I am in better shape at 46 than I was at 30.

Maybe talk to your doctor about it, see if you can get a good physiotherapist. It can be hard to get good advice even from doctors etc., not so much because they don't know their stuff but because their idea and your idea of a satisfactory outcome might be different, also there are so many factors at play that two different doctors might give entirely different diagnoses and treatments. Ditto with physios. There is some good information on the web but an awful lot of junk too, some of it which might hinder rather than help, so better to push your doctor.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby Corey » Sat May 28, 2016 1:20 pm

mjlally wrote:I had to stop running in my early twenties due to knee problems, went down the accepting my fate route until in my thirties I discovered that gentle jogging on soft surfaces, with proper warm up and followed by stretching, and a few days recovery between efforts, my legs and knees got strong enough to do a half marathon on roads.

Thanks man. That´s the exact experience I had, in addition to tweaking my right knee on a mini. Gave up running, which is by far my favorite exercise, in my early twenties - and then pretty much just sat around on my ass for way too long. I´m nowhere near a half-marathon on paved roads (yet), but I run a few miles on dirt tracks three times a week, with much less pain than I had only a couple of years ago (thank you Hoka One shoes and Footprint insoles..). I´ve also been doing some leg exercises given to me by a physiotherapist, which seem to be having a positive effect on my running, skating and day to day life. As you said though - her idea of a satisfactory outcome was a bit different from mine and included me giving up both skateboarding and running.
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby mjlally » Sat May 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Corey wrote:
mjlally wrote:I had to stop running in my early twenties due to knee problems, went down the accepting my fate route until in my thirties I discovered that gentle jogging on soft surfaces, with proper warm up and followed by stretching, and a few days recovery between efforts, my legs and knees got strong enough to do a half marathon on roads.

Thanks man. That´s the exact experience I had, in addition to tweaking my right knee on a mini. Gave up running, which is by far my favorite exercise, in my early twenties - and then pretty much just sat around on my ass for way too long. I´m nowhere near a half-marathon on paved roads (yet), but I run a few miles on dirt tracks three times a week, with much less pain than I had only a couple of years ago (thank you Hoka One shoes and Footprint insoles..). I´ve also been doing some leg exercises given to me by a physiotherapist, which seem to be having a positive effect on my running, skating and day to day life. As you said though - her idea of a satisfactory outcome was a bit different from mine and included me giving up both skateboarding and running.

Good footwear, soft surfaces (grassy surface is really good), short steps at a higher cadence can help the knees too and take it really really easy if you have to run downhill, don't fall for the temptation to take advantage of gravity on your side! Shorter steps reduces the impact on your knees. If you can find a physio with an interest or experience in sports physiotherapy and rehab that would be good.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Return to Injury Bench