Game over ?

Now you broke it, etc.. and how to make it better ....

Game over ?

Postby Kernow49er » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:37 pm

Fell backwards doing rock to fakie on Wednesday night , was having such a blast with my boy . I knew what I had done instantly . Dislocated my right shoulder, went to hospital was drugged very heavily . I have zero recollection of my arm bring popped back in . 48 hrs later im in lots less pain but virtually no movement of right arm without a thunderbolt of pain, it's going to be2 weeks in a sling then 6-12 weeks or more to recover . I'm really not too sure if I will skate again, I don't want skate like a total pussy but don't want to push myself into another dislocation , I understand that once you do it the chances of a repeat pop increase ?

i ve had such a blast over the last 4 months and skating with Oliver has consumed me so it's not easy to know which way I'm headed ?

Cheers Oz
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Re: Game over ?

Postby Kernow49er » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Excuse bad grammar and typos , I'm using my left finger to type on a I pad
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Jimbo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:49 pm

Sorry that you've ended up injured.
I'm starting to think that injuries and skating are very much like hangovers and drinking.
When you wake up with a stinking hangover how many times do you think you'll never drink again. Then the pain and suffering fade over time until the major memory is of how much fun drinking can be...
Save money on softer bushings by eating more food and drinking more beer.
Jimbo
nothing better to do

Postby Kernow49er » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:07 am

Jimbo wrote:Sorry that you've ended up injured.
I'm starting to think that injuries and skating are very much like hangovers and drinking.
When you wake up with a stinking hangover how many times do you think you'll never drink again. Then the pain and suffering fade over time until the major memory is of how much fun drinking can be...

thanks for the positive inputs I have been fortunate enough to turn another addiction ( fly fishing for bass) into my proffesion for a decade . I'm also a keen surfer . A dislocated shoulder eclipses any hangover by about 8 to 10 weeks apparently

If anyone has experience of this injury I'm keen to hear positive stories that encourage me back to skating . It's become a big part of life in this house over the last few months
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby HarryR » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:59 am

Oh dear, sorry to hear about this happening so soon after your skating rebirth. Right now, try not to dwell on what might be. In your current state you cannot possibly have a clear perspective. It's the worst possible position from which to make decisions. Concentrate on getting well first and things may seem better after that. Jim's hangover analogy is a good one even if the timescale for recovery is different.

I came back to skating 8 years ago and reasonably early on I had a couple of '6-8 weeks out' injuries. There's no doubt that it tempers your view of what's possible and you may abandon some dreams of being the next MAS super-skater BUT you can still keep skating and can still have fun within reasonable limits.

I would imagine that skating with your son has been a great bonding experience and it has to be worth it for that reason alone, even if he does thrash you at everything. I'll bet he still thinks you're a hero and coming back from an injury like that would only serve to enhance that status.

I think Mr J has a lot of experience with dislocation injury and I'm sure he'll be able to offer lots of good advice and encouragement. If he doesn't pick this thread up it might be worth PM'ing him directly.

Keep your chin up I'm sure you'll be fine ;-)
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Corey » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:37 am

I´m sorry to hear about that!

I was going to try to say something positive and helpful, but I think HarryR covered it all.
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:39 am

Sorry to hear this. In cycling (in which I've had some spectacular spills) the advice is always to get back on as soon as you possibly can. It's a big challenge, but one that I'm sure you'll overcome.

I hate to ask this, but as someone else who skates with their child it's been bugging me for a while what to do in the event of an accident. Did your kid call the ambulance or you?
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby misterbleepy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:49 am

Just think of the MH rebuild - you'll be in great shape by the time that's done.
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Kernow49er » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:25 am

Thanks guys

On the positive side I may have a middle aged spread but I've always had quite muscular shoulders so I'm hoping that will give me confidence that my arm is not going to pop out with every fall

If I return and I suspect I will then I will never do rock to fakies again , whenever I see footage of tony Alva and the late jay Adams skating in their fifties they carve and kick turn and just do that well . So my focus should be to do what I can do pretty well even better and not beat myself up about clever tricks . When the new wooden bowl is built at mounte Hawke I suspect that I will be unable to resist the temptation to drop in and carve around a bitt. I was getting pretty bored of slash grinding the 5 foot mini , I think working a line around bowl would keep me stimulated forever or at least until I'm 80 years old !
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:46 am

I get what you mean. I've only ridden bowls a couple of times but that solid locked in feeling you get when carving is a whole lot less scary than teetering up on the coping!

I'm really pleased you're thinking positively about this.
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Brian S » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Don't dispair or give up, I've been back for three years & have spent half that time off with various injuries, it knocks your confidence back totally, but you can slowly gain confidence once again, but you may not fancy going back to the moves that you came a cropper on, but that's only me, everyone's different though
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Guido » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:18 pm

OK OK isn't a skating injury but but I to play basketball a lot, an one morning I slipped down t stairs dislocating both collar bones managed to relocate both almost immediately, nearly puked with the pain.
Hospital visit later that day, painkillers and rest (no bball)
I still suffer with bad trapped nerves, but I still do what I love, the pain will fade, the muscles will recover, but you will gain confidence only by getting ba on the board. Speedy recovery.
Guido
smell of grip tape

Postby Noidear » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:37 pm

I second the above particularly Andrew's comments about getting back on board as soon as you feel up to it. We have to accept the risks when we skate so we just have to come to terms with the level of risk we're willing to take to keep enjoying skating. Luckily there are lots of types of skating to get enjoyment from. Hope the recovery goes smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Noidear
I got new wheels

Postby nevertooold » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Not the same injury but I fell and broke my wrist in the first couple of months skating- it was misdiagnosed and I carried on with it!
I haven't stopped- it did however slow down my progress for a while as I was worried of making the injured wrist worse but that was partly due to them misdiagnosiing for 5 weeks and I was starting from scratch- never stepped on a board until last year and now it's nearly a year!

Just do what feels right for you
nevertooold
nothing better to do

Postby Kernow49er » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:19 pm

I'm feeling my arm recover today . I can spread jam on my toast with my bad arm

I have new life skills too

I can wipe my arse with my left hand now !!
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:52 pm

Kernow49er wrote:I'm feeling my arm recover today . I can spread jam on my toast with my bad arm

I have new life skills too

I can wipe my arse with my left hand now !!

If you're an ambidextrous bum wiper you're twice as efficient in the throne room :)
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby HarryR » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:57 pm

It's funny, I've never considered that left hand thing before. I'm going to have to try it now :lol:
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Fen » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:14 pm

Hope you heal up soon. Try not to let it put you off. Those dam rock to fakies seem to trip a lot of people up. I went right off them when I first started back, rock fakie on a 2 foot trans, slammed badly and smacked my head. Didn't do them again till last summer, about 3 years later.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby Vintage Skater » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:10 am

Started skating aged 50 last spring. I also took bad slam rock to fakie. Banged up shoulder really good. Also took a whack to the skull hanging up learning 50 / 50 stalls which required trip to ER and a few stitches. After a few months off over winter soon will be back at the outside bowls again. Now I am convinced best just to stick with carving and the odd slash grind. Focus is on getting faster and smoother. Totally going to forget tricks that can result in hang up slams for the time being. Not really worried about baling at speed and sliding out somewhat in control. It's those hang ups where you slam so fast you don't have have time to react that will fook up an old geezer! Good luck.
Vintage Skater
smell of grip tape

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:24 am

Rock to fakie was next on my 'to learn' list. I'm really not so sure now!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Unciano » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:00 pm

As bad as it feels now, your arm will get stronger with the proper rehab. Take it slowly and don't be discouraged stepping back on the sled.

Plenty of sound advice already given by the gents above so I won't ramble, but once you get rolling again (if you choose to!) I'm sure you'll find your way. 8)
Unciano
nothing better to do

Postby Red Beard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:19 pm

Sorry to hear about the injury Oz, I'm just going to echo what some of the other guys have said and what you were thinking in one of your later posts above...no reason not to get back on your plank and just skate bowls fast and smooth, find new lines and maybe hit the odd slash grind.

Hope your shoulder gets back to full strength soon mate.
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby duck » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:59 pm

I have never done a rock fakie (except on rush's micro ramp where the board doesn't even touch the coping so it doesn't count), but I can assure you there's a huge amount of fun to be had on a board without ever going backwards at all! (All that going backwards stuff seems highly dangerous to me!) My advice would be: once you feel well enough to step back on the board, stick to just going forwards for a while :) Carving bowls, pumping and slash grinds are all good wholesome and approved forwards-related activites :mrgreen: ..- ~..
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby Red Beard » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:26 am

duck wrote:I have never done a rock fakie (except on rush's micro ramp where the board doesn't even touch the coping so it doesn't count), but I can assure you there's a huge amount of fun to be had on a board without ever going backwards at all! (All that going backwards stuff seems highly dangerous to me!) My advice would be: once you feel well enough to step back on the board, stick to just going forwards for a while :) Carving bowls, pumping and slash grinds are all good wholesome and approved forwards-related activites :mrgreen: ..- ~..

I've recently started trying to go backwards more often - and I'm not sure I like it very much!
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby Kernow49er » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:44 am

I think this was a mild dislocation, I'm assuming that exists ? I was in a dark hole a few days ago , I still don't think I will be skating for a month or perhaps even 2 months , but I'm getting quite excited by my progress , I rekon a week from now I will be able to drive. Tomorrow I think I should be able to wipe my arse good n proper , the left hand never "" cut the mustard "" :D : I may even try putting my own socks on .

I took the blue pill and bought some new 187 pro elbow pads online today . Not that the pads would have made a lot of difference with my accident but I never liked my cheap pro tecs in comparison with the killer pros , I like all that gel inside them .

It was a symbolic gesture of intent too my self and get well soon prezzie from me to me

Ironically my rock to fakies were super solid on our 2 foot 4 inch section on the ramp, so solid that I think I relaxed a bit too much, dropped my guard . I just found these old gits on YouTube at ramp city , I'm sure some will be on this forum , carves 5050 and slashes , that will do me from now on ,
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Brian S » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:06 pm

Kernow49er wrote:I think this was a mild dislocation, I'm assuming that exists ? I was in a dark hole a few days ago , I still don't think I will be skating for a month or perhaps even 2 months , but I'm getting quite excited by my progress , I rekon a week from now I will be able to drive. Tomorrow I think I should be able to wipe my arse good n proper , the left hand never "" cut the mustard "" :D : I may even try putting my own socks on .

I took the blue pill and bought some new 187 pro elbow pads online today . Not that the pads would have made a lot of difference with my accident but I never liked my cheap pro tecs in comparison with the killer pros , I like all that gel inside them .

It was a symbolic gesture of intent too my self and get well soon prezzie from me to me

Ironically my rock to fakies were super solid on our 2 foot 4 inch section on the ramp, so solid that I think I relaxed a bit too much, dropped my guard . I just found these old gits on YouTube at ramp city , I'm sure some will be on this forum , carves 5050 and slashes , that will do me from now on ,

Not seen that video before I'm in there with four skating shots (have black helmet on & full pads, backside carve, frontside grind etc) & a couple of back shots stood on top in my z-flex 35 year shirt :D
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Andrew_Culture » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:11 pm

Kernow49er wrote:I think this was a mild dislocation, I'm assuming that exists ? I was in a dark hole a few days ago , I still don't think I will be skating for a month or perhaps even 2 months , but I'm getting quite excited by my progress , I rekon a week from now I will be able to drive. Tomorrow I think I should be able to wipe my arse good n proper , the left hand never "" cut the mustard "" :D : I may even try putting my own socks on .

Statement of intent is a brilliant way of describing it. I bloody loved that video too!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby tamarmole » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Welcome to the knackered Cornish skaters club. Hope you're up and running soon
tamarmole
smell of grip tape

Postby Kernow49er » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:08 pm

Well it's a week since the incident , I'm able to drive, I can dress myself , I could probably beat a 5 year old in an arm wrestle. I have been out of a sling for a few days ,so things are going really well.

I am certainly not ready to skate yet , but at 7 days from a dislocation things are going excitingly well . I m starting to wonder if I will be rolling in a couple of weeks time ? Who knows !! I will take advise from a physio

This has given me lots of time to watch skate videos on YouTubthis one being my favourite this week

Enjoy
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:59 pm

Glad to hear you're healing nicely.

What a great video! Hosoi has quite the collection of hats doesn't he!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby misterbleepy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Kernow49er wrote:Well it's a week since the incident , I'm able to drive, I can dress myself , I could probably beat a 5 year old in an arm wrestle. I have been out of a sling for a few days ,so things are going really well.

sounds like you're fit enough for some of this ;-)

misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Kernow49er » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:53 am

Ive just returned from my first Physic appointment , things are going very well but despite this i have been strongly advised to avoid skating for at least another 4 weeks , so that would be 6 weeks from the original incident . Worse still fly fishing which is a big part of my profession is also off the cards for a while !

I can do light swimming and light training at the gym so I had best dust off the lycra !
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:29 am

Kernow49er wrote:Worse still fly fishing which is a big part of my profession is also off the cards for a while !

!

Now I'm curious!

Glad to hear it's going well though.
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Kernow49er » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Andrew_Culture wrote:
Kernow49er wrote:Worse still fly fishing which is a big part of my profession is also off the cards for a while !

!

Now I'm curious!

Glad to hear it's going well though.

Im better at some hobbies than others http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com http://www.bassfishingcornwall.com
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Kernow49er wrote:
Im better at some hobbies than others http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com http://www.bassfishingcornwall.com

Very cool! One of my clients provided the RYA skipper training so I know how much goes into getting that qualification. Good work sir!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Mr J » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:28 am

I reckon go and see a physio who has experience with shoulder dislocations. A good physio can test the stability of the shoulder and advise on whether further investigation with MRI is worthwhile. I have had surgery on my dislocating shoulder about 15 years ago to stabilise it. Even if it doesn't need surgery a physio will be able to show you rotator cuff strengthening exercises - definitely non-intuitive as they are done with low resistance and in a specific way - the more usual heavy shoulder weights exercises recruit different muscles and don't exercise the rotator cuffs.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Game over ?

Postby HarryR » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Hey Mr J, I knew you would be able to add to this discussion. How's your rehabilitation going?

EDIT: just seen your update in the other thread :-)
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Kernow49er » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:43 pm

20 days now ,if i had hair i would be pulling it out , I'm getting too the dangerous phase where i start too wonder if i can skate .Im sanding and painting the deck of my boat .I can Lift a bag of coal . `do most things but the weakness and stiffness is still there

Shoulder feels weird , sort of loose and clicky which does put me off skating if Im honest with myself . Perhaps another week or 2 ??
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Kernow49er » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:50 pm

4 weeks and 2 days now , getting desperate , but also I can see my fear of ramps growing when i watch my son skating or i am in the garage looking at the mini ramp of death

I managed a surf for 1 hour yesterday , my shoulder was aching after that . Got too be positive as I didn't see myself surfing again so soon after dislocation
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Sounds good overall. Good to see you getting some movement in!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby misterbleepy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Kernow49er wrote:4 weeks and 2 days now , getting desperate , but also I can see my fear of ramps growing when i watch my son skating or i am in the garage looking at the mini ramp of death

I managed a surf for 1 hour yesterday , my shoulder was aching after that . Got too be positive as I didn't see myself surfing again so soon after dislocation

I guess you're not going to get a skate in at MH before it closes on the 11th?
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Kernow49er » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:01 pm

You never know Keith ! Perhaps ! I did stand on my board a couple of times this week , I watched Oliver's mate fall backwards and slam on our mini ramp today after hanging up on rock to fake . It did bring back some nasty memories , I think I would be more confident on the 8 foot at MH than our mini ramp . Things happen fast but at the same time more slowly on that big ramp !
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Kernow49er » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Yee ha !! I can post in the did u skate today thread again !!! 5 1/2 weeks later . By no means ready to rip but I've just been on the ramp wiping axle stalls again !!!!
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:47 pm

Kernow49er wrote:Yee ha !! I can post in the did u skate today thread again !!! 5 1/2 weeks later . By no means ready to rip but I've just been on the ramp wiping axle stalls again !!!!

Huzzah!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Trevenen » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:49 pm

Kernow49er wrote:Yee ha !! I can post in the did u skate today thread again !!! 5 1/2 weeks later . By no means ready to rip but I've just been on the ramp wiping axle stalls again !!!!

(AW)
Was going to say, with a shoulder pop, plenty of good physio to build up muscle in the area. Also there are some VERY good shoulder supports available. I know people who have multiple dislocations of both shoulders, then had ops. Didn't stop them... rip it up! :twisted:
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Postby irishlostboy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:39 pm

Shoulder dislocation hurts like a f.... But are not a game ender. If they reoccur (which is likely) they hurt less each time. And happen easier each time. And worst case scenario they will do surgery to shorten the ligaments and your shoulder will be fairly good as new. The shoulder dislocation is most common in whitewater kayaking and rock climbing. And in both those sports I know people that did it, and kept on doing their sports... After a suitable recovery and rebuild time. Good luck, and keep faith with your recovery program.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby abuck » Tue May 03, 2016 9:56 pm

Glad to hear you are making a come back. I have to admit, your injury story freaked me out (I'm about to build a mini ramp and I've never really skated one before). I will always think of you when I try to rock fakie.
8.5" Elephant Brand deck, Indy hollow 149s, 53mm Bones 100s, Spitfire Cheapshot bearings
abuck
I like skateboarding

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:18 pm

Had to read this all the way through to the end to see how it went. Good job.

I had to have some surgery last summer... couldn't go in the water for four weeks.... I'm an avid surfer. I was VERY grumpy. Glad you're back at it.
Current pipe setup: Welcome Sloth Hammer Head Deck, Spitfire Formula 4 58mm 99a, Hollow Indi trucks, soft bones bushins, Redz bearings
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Return to Injury Bench