sharp muscle pain, any tips to speed the healing?

Now you broke it, etc.. and how to make it better ....

sharp muscle pain, any tips to speed the healing?

Postby balefulstare » Tue May 31, 2016 3:36 am

My skate sessions usually last 30mins to an hour but a few days ago I did nearly 2, mostly doing backside shuvits and backside flat spins (attemping them anyways) and the next morning I could hardly move my left (back) leg. It's really acute walking up stairs or anything involving raising my knee. It felt quite a bit better this morning so I skated today for about 30 mins and sure enough as soon as I made a shuvit or slide motion pain returned. It's in two spots: From side of my hip to my knee and also from my butt to back of knee. I can't seem to find a stretch that will get these specifically and I wonder if that would do more harm than good anyway. It's a pretty sharp pain, not the usual normal muscle ache i'm used to that goes away after 24 hours. What do you do?
I get more motivated by the phrase “Fuck it” than any other motivational phrase
balefulstare
I like skateboarding

Re: sharp muscle pain, any tips to speed the healing?

Postby nevertooold » Tue May 31, 2016 8:21 am

Stretching, stretching and more stretching

I usually do 1 -2 hour sessions and the odd 3 hrs if I can find the time - and stretching is the key.
Yoga stretches are good. The only time I get real pain is from me smacking into the ground!! Look up some stretches for your affected areas

Not much specific but hope that's some help
nevertooold
nothing better to do

Postby mjlally » Tue May 31, 2016 10:34 am

editing this after rereading original post - I thought at first you were describing fairly severe muscle soreness, but Irishlostboy is right, you may have a small tear or sprain..
Last edited by mjlally on Tue May 31, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby irishlostboy » Tue May 31, 2016 10:49 am

Rest. When healed, stretch. Before a skate warm up then stretch. After skate, stretch. Sharp pain you are describing could be a small rip in the muscle. It could be pinched nerves. It could be a mild sprain. Rest is key. Take ibuprofen as needed. If after a week of rest the pain returns, get physiotherapy, and engage in correct physical training.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby mjlally » Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 am

irishlostboy wrote:Rest. When healed, stretch. Before a skate warm up then stretch. After skate, stretch. Sharp pain you are describing could be a small rip in the muscle. It could be pinched nerves. It could be a mild sprain. Rest is key. Take ibuprofen as needed. If after a week of rest the pain returns, get physiotherapy, and engage in correct physical training.

this is good advice.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby Mr J » Tue May 31, 2016 11:51 am

nevertooold wrote:Stretching, stretching and more stretching

I usually do 1 -2 hour sessions and the odd 3 hrs if I can find the time - and stretching is the key.
Yoga stretches are good. The only time I get real pain is from me smacking into the ground!! Look up some stretches for your affected areas

that is impressively long sessions! I can't do that, but everyone is different. I am a big believer in stretching too.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Mr J » Tue May 31, 2016 11:58 am

mjlally wrote:
irishlostboy wrote:Rest. When healed, stretch. Before a skate warm up then stretch. After skate, stretch. Sharp pain you are describing could be a small rip in the muscle. It could be pinched nerves. It could be a mild sprain. Rest is key. Take ibuprofen as needed. If after a week of rest the pain returns, get physiotherapy, and engage in correct physical training.

this is good advice.

ballefustare, what you are describing does not seem like normal muscle soreness. I also think the above is good advice, particularly the week of rest. There are stretches for the outer thigh (ITB and quad). When I get a sore butt from lots of popping/jumping motions on a skateboard, I sit on a foam roller and can feel it iron out the muscle knots, however I have never had it extend all the way down my hamstring like you are describing. I have had mild hamstring soreness from very specific tricks, but the foam roller doesn't seem good with the loose muscles like hamstring and calf for me.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby mjlally » Tue May 31, 2016 12:08 pm

I've been thinking for a while that it might be good to have a thread about exercise, stretching and rehab here. Many of us come to skating after a long gap of relative inactivity and end up learning the hard way that the body can't take the same level of abuse we used to give it in our twenties or teens.

I know GoR64 mentioned possibly setting up a thread on healthy eating. Perhaps for now a single diet and exercise thread might be good where we can share our experiences, compare notes and say what has and has not worked for us. Obviously the intention would not be to give unqualified medical, dietary or training advice, but no harm in discussing things if it saves people the time and effort and discomfort of discovering it all the slow painful way!

Is there an appetite for this on the forum?

EDIT:

if there is I've started a thread here http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34293
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby Brian S » Tue May 31, 2016 12:46 pm

balefulstare wrote:My skate sessions usually last 30mins to an hour but a few days ago I did nearly 2, mostly doing backside shuvits and backside flat spins (attemping them anyways) and the next morning I could hardly move my left (back) leg. It's really acute walking up stairs or anything involving raising my knee. It felt quite a bit better this morning so I skated today for about 30 mins and sure enough as soon as I made a shuvit or slide motion pain returned. It's in two spots: From side of my hip to my knee and also from my butt to back of knee. I can't seem to find a stretch that will get these specifically and I wonder if that would do more harm than good anyway. It's a pretty sharp pain, not the usual normal muscle ache i'm used to that goes away after 24 hours. What do you do?

Do more front-sides to balance things out!
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby nevertooold » Tue May 31, 2016 2:07 pm

Mr J wrote:
nevertooold wrote:Stretching, stretching and more stretching

that is impressively long sessions! I can't do that, but everyone is different. I am a big believer in stretching too.

I have to do long sessions - takes me bloody ages to get my skate feet on!

Welcome back MrJ
nevertooold
nothing better to do

Postby mjlally » Tue May 31, 2016 2:10 pm

nevertooold wrote:
I have to do long sessions - takes me bloody ages to get my skate feet on!

I find that as well, and there is the aspect of grabbing as much skate time as I can when I have the opportunity.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby balefulstare » Tue May 31, 2016 4:48 pm

Woah, loads of great advice! Thanks all! And yes, I do my best skating after about an hour warm up too, before that as far as anyone can tell i'm doing my best baby deer impressions. This soreness kind of took me by surprise, i'm in pretty good physical shape and usually pretty good with pushing it. I went for a 5 hour ski tour with a pretty intense 3.5 hour up-hill about 4 weeks ago and I thought I was overdoing it but the next day I felt fine, a little muscle fatigue but not really sore like this. I suppose I was just hitting really specific muscles hard without a proper warm up/stretch, something I will pay more attention to in the future for sure.
I get more motivated by the phrase “Fuck it” than any other motivational phrase
balefulstare
I like skateboarding

Return to Injury Bench