Wrist Guards

Now you broke it, etc.. and how to make it better ....

Wrist Guards

Postby Brian S » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:06 pm

I'm now looking at wrist guards right now for when I can skate again, my Triple 8 RD one's are falling apart now & have got very sloppy in fit, they were not as supportive as I would have liked but were comfy to wear & fairly non restrictive.

Have already got some SFR comfy but little protection, TSG professional which looks just like many others I've seen fairly short in fit, 187, Smith, Triple 8 wristavers, Pro-Tec but all seem a little basic along with the vulnerable plastic bit where the bottom splint goes into on the palm that wears through in no time, Pro Design crazy money but not much different in terms of protection.

Have looked at Smiths SCABS STABILIZER Wrist Guards online which look a little more substantial but hard to find,

Any suggestions for a better wrist guard to go for that you may have used that aren't extortionate & available?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Re: Wrist Guards

Postby irishlostboy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:40 pm

I am using 187 wrist guards. They are quite solid I think, but tape up the palm area with duck tape cos the stitching there will go after a few skids.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby jeremyb » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:11 pm

I'm using my old Harbinger ones from when I was a rollerblader back in the 90s :mrgreen:

Like these: http://www.skatesonhaight.com/Harbinger ... p/hwgg.htm
jeremyb
skate skate skate

Postby misterbleepy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:45 pm

I'm trying these at the moment, after my more ordinary Pro-tec ones fell apart:
They're a bit of a faff to put on, but no injuries yet
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby SidcupSlam » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:30 pm

As much as I love my triple 8 wrist guards, I've had a couple of big slams recently that have left me with a sprain. I'm considering the Ennui city brace as it also helps heal sprains as well as offering protection. Any one used the Ennui city brace or the all round brace? Or can recommend a wrist guard that can be used to help heal sprains as well as offering really solid protection?
SidcupSlam
I skateboard

Postby nevertooold » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:05 pm

I've used all sorts - I've broken my wrist wearing them too! I think the best thing is learning how to fall to protect yourself from too much damage. I think all wrist guards are better than none but nothing can completely protect you. I'm actually using triple 8's atm and I like them a lot as they're a good fit for me - but I've really small wrists.
nevertooold
nothing better to do

Postby tom.hoffman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:43 pm

There is a hard limit to the amount of protection a wrist guard can possibly give. What you really need to learn to do is keep your hands in and roll, so you need elbow pads you have confidence in, and perhaps hip pads.

Basically, I use and recommend the no wrist guards + G-Form (or whatever D-3 brand you want) elbow pads + G-Form (D-3) hip pads when you're skating somewhat bigger stuff. The big thing about those elbow pads is they cover the whole elbow and DON'T SLIDE AROUND, and they're comfortable.

Helmet on just about any transition and knee pads if you're on something genuinely knee-slidable.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby SidcupSlam » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Got the Ennui all round's. A vast improvement on the triple 8's which now that I can compare the two are a bit flaky in comparison. I get what people say about not using your hands to protect you when you slam but who can honestly say that they can control how they fall 100% of the time? There's always going to be those occasions when things happen so quickly you can't react in time and inevitably your wrists are going to take the brunt of the impact.
SidcupSlam
I skateboard

Postby Brian S » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Have been using the Smiths SCABS STABILIZER Wrist Guards for a while, very comfy but not restrictive, doesn't look like there's much scope available here on the very standard stuff, skate shops barely carry one brand often if any & they just look like what was around in the late 70's early 80's, you'd think there might have been a bit more improvement over the years rather than virtually none :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby SidcupSlam » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:17 am

I agree Brian. A lot of the skate shops I visit have very little in terms of protective gear which means I have to take a gamble on buying on line without ever trying the gear on first. I was eyeing up the smiths scabs myself so good to hear some feedback from a skater as most of the reviews for protective gear online comes from roller derbyists. My own thoughts on the matter are younger skateboarders are generally think of themselves as too cool for school and wouldn’t be seen dead wearing protection which doesn’t generate the level of demand needed by your average skate shop. I on the other hand don’t give a toss what I look like as long as I can keep coming back for more after I (inevitably) slam.
SidcupSlam
I skateboard

Return to Injury Bench