Inflammation from shit diet

Now you broke it, etc.. and how to make it better ....

Postby Scissorhands » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:34 am

I had a patella injury from overuse when i tried to start skateboarding again, about 4 years back. So I gave up just as I started.

Since then I have had to make many lifestyle and diet changes, and now realize I had a high level of inflammation back then. I ate too much and too much shit, drunk lots of alcohol, coffee and ate a lot of meat.
All pro inflammatory. I also said fuck off a lot, and was a bit of a 'quick to anger' sort of guy.

I'm interested if other skaters here have had a similar experience, where they changed their diet and lifestyle and saw an improvement in injury, sore joints and muscles, red cheeks, mood, all that stuff.

PS I'm 54 so I didnt reap the negative results till later in life
Scissorhands
skate skate skate

Re: Inflammation from shit diet

Postby Brian S » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:40 am

I'm glad that you have had the strength to change your lifestyle, it's not easy to do at all. :D

I re-stated skating at 49 after basically sitting on my arse for around 7 years, was cajoled by an old skate mate, it actually took me a year from saying I'd give it a go again to actually getting on the board at a skatepark, it's a amazing how easy excuses are, getting gear together etc :lol:

I wish I had just got on with it straight away, as now I'm fitter & lighter than I have been in absolutely years, took running up also due to 2 wrist/hand/thumb operations which stopped me skating for some months over the last couple of years, 55 soon, fairly laid back most of the time these days.

Now I am more conscious of my diet (have to be as I'm diabetic now, shouldn't have it, but is a consequence of a prescribed drugs side effect, Pah :shock: ) but am not particularly strict with some treats, try to eat a little more healthily when I can be arsed :lol: I barely drink at all, has been this way for quite a few years, but was never a massive drinker anyway, little in the way of other vices luckily as well, take a few supplements to keep things moving OK , also had a few other major health issues along the way.
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Scissorhands » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:26 am

Hey Brian, yeah it seems when the big 50 rolls around its time to pay the piper for all the bad health choices we often make. It's great you have started running, whenever I see a runner they look to be in great shape. I wish I could indulge the occasional treat like you, but I tend to be OCD and pig out when addictive foods are in front of me.

I managed to go vegan, coffee alcohol cake bread etc free for awhile and really improved a ways. Lately the bad choices have crept back and with them the inflammation.
I start saying fuck off and quick to anger, a lot more when my body gets inflamed from grog and meat.
Scissorhands
skate skate skate

Postby pete » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:06 am

i've never really been that overweight but a few years ago i went from 70 - 80kg which was noticeable. managed to get back to 70kg just through diet really, still skated and snowboarded as much as possible, but cutting out meat was the biggest difference.

i'm not saying eating meat made me fat, but cutting it out just made me eat a lot more veg so dropped 10kg in about 4 months. Probably eating about 10 "portions" of veg a day. 4 is for pussies lol

being and feeling lighter makes such a big difference to knee's and bails! :mrgreen:
pete
nothing better to do

Postby Corey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:15 pm

pete wrote:being and feeling lighter makes such a big difference to knee's and bails! :mrgreen:

So agree on this. I´ve skated in several different weight classes, ranging from <70kgs to ≈120kgs - and the difference is IMMENSE.

I´m at the wrong end of that scale these days and therefore sitting on my fat ass with a busted knee right now. Didn´t even get to spectacularly hurt myself, I just stretched my knee the wrong way while bailing on flat going 1.5kmph.
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby warwick » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Moderation is good.
I’m 56, been skating 46 years, mainly vert and miniramp. I eat some good food and some junk, but diet 2 days a week to keep my weight under 12st (=168lb). As long as I’m under my target weight I eat what I like. Skate 3-5 times a week. Seems to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby bertslide » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:55 pm

https://philmaffetone.com/
Made a big difference to me, weight mood etc etc
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Scissorhands » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:38 am

bertslide wrote:https://philmaffetone.com/
Made a big difference to me, weight mood etc etc

This chemical messenger in the brain triggers our drive for passion, pleasure, productivity, and much more. Dopamine is one part of a complex system of natural chemicals that also includes endorphins, endocannabinoids and oxytocin, as well as a state of consciousness that produces alpha waves. All are stimulated during feel-good experiences like exercise, music, an exciting movie or book, sex, and spending time with loved ones. Dopamine also plays an important role in regulating free radicals and antioxidants during exercise.

Armed with deception, backed by the government and sometimes disguised as “health food,” junk-food companies just keep growing.
Like screenwriters creating a bad sci-fi movie where the monster just won’t die but keeps morphing into an even more heinous beast, marketing geniuses in the junk-food industry are even now crafting deceptive new messages to make you think their latest products are healthy.
This script is nothing new. The health-food industry has a long unhealthy history of deception — most of its products are junk food in disguise.
What’s this it says on the package? “Organic.” Vegan,” “Gluten-free.” “No Artificial Additives.” “No Sugar Added.” Some of these claims may or may not be true, and even if they are it doesn’t mean the product inside the package is something you should put in your body.

Now that’s healthier than eating a pie!

Hey thanks for the link.
Its like a one stop shop, bullshit free zone for dr googling health sites. Awesome site!
Scissorhands
skate skate skate

Postby warwick » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:25 am

I’d like to stand up for pies. And chocolate. And cake. And cheese-and-chip butties. Full-fat milk. Crusty white bread with butter.
All those things taste great.
They do you no harm, so long as you’re sensible.
Of course if they’re all you eat, or if you eat excessive quantities, then you’ll get fat.
But if you’re sensible and eat a balanced diet, and if you exercise regularly and keep track of your weight and waist size, then all will be well.
No-one should need to take supplements or live on weird restrictive diets: you can get all the nutrients you need from regular food.

My Health Food diet.
On the table: Robinson’s Orange Barely Water (essentially sugar and flavourings), Heinz ketchup (tomatoes and sugar), butter (fat).
In my hand: a white bread sandwich holding the last of a meal of cheese omelette and chips (essentially starch and fat).Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Scissorhands » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:05 pm

warwick wrote:I’d like to stand up for pies. And chocolate. And cake. And cheese-and-chip butties. Full-fat milk. Crusty white bread with butter.
All those things taste great.
They do you no harm, so long as you’re sensible.
Of course if they’re all you eat, or if you eat excessive quantities, then you’ll get fat.
But if you’re sensible and eat a balanced diet, and if you exercise regularly and keep track of your weight and waist size, then all will be well.
No-one should need to take supplements or live on weird restrictive diets: you can get all the nutrients you need from regular food.

My Health Food diet.
On the table: Robinson’s Orange Barely Water (essentially sugar and flavourings), Heinz ketchup (tomatoes and sugar), butter (fat).
In my hand: a white bread sandwich holding the last of a meal of cheese omelette and chips (essentially starch and fat).Image

yeah nah

Some peeps use food as comfort, and some peeps need more comforting.
If you need more comforting, and eat more food, its prolly better you dont eat comfort food.

For peeps were are happy and active, what you eat is much less of an issue.
My poor old mum was intolerant to gluten and at 84 went to the grave noon the wiser.
She had all sorts of gluten mediated health problems, that are only apparent to me now 15 years later.
Me too. Fragile constitution regarding food. Its genetic.
If mum ate no bread or sugary foods, less fat, she would have had 10+years extra plus a much happier time for the last 40yrs. For sure.

Have you seen all the lardo's walking around Warwick?
Some peeps have constitutions and lifestyles that mean they should not eat by your recommendations.
Personally I just feel a lot better if I eat better.

I think its great you can eat what you want with no ill effects.
But regular food is not that normal anymore, and many people need extreme measures to reset after years of food abuse.
I'm adhd so in the past used food very inappropriately, for comfort.
Once you crack 50yrs the food karma chickens come home to roost.
Lets see a photo at 55 after years of chip buttys and no exercise.
Scissorhands
skate skate skate

Postby warwick » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:16 pm

I take your point. And people with allergies/coeliac disease have to take special care. Different approaches suit different people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Scissorhands » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Celiac aint the half of it. The main driver of my inflammation is electrosensitivity.
Today I was at an Agritech Conference and they had wall to ceiling TV's on 3 sides of a big room with about 9 separate wifi routers on the ceiling.
Bad day for me, I felt much better when this evening I lay down on some steel for 20 min that was grounded via concrete at the skatepark and earthed the induced currents out of my body.
My problems started a few years back when digital TV was broadcast, and wifi and cellular proliferation began.

Up until 10 years ago I always had dogs, walked 2 hours a day and did sports, was moderate and ate what I wanted with amazing health, like you I imagine.
I was still adhd but it was much milder, pre digital age.

But I started this thread about food,, maybe inflammation and likelihood of skating injury has more to it than foods. It seems when people are upset that shit happens. Inflamed.

Inflammation leads to arthritis and cancer, heaps of other diseases, and injury.

Anger is one letter short of danger.
Scissorhands
skate skate skate

Postby Brian S » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Scissorhands wrote:Celiac aint the half of it. The main driver of my inflammation is electrosensitivity.
Today I was at an Agritech Conference and they had wall to ceiling TV's on 3 sides of a big room with about 9 separate wifi routers on the ceiling.
Bad day for me, I felt much better when this evening I lay down on some steel for 20 min that was grounded via concrete at the skatepark and earthed the induced currents out of my body.
My problems started a few years back when digital TV was broadcast, and wifi and cellular proliferation began.

Up until 10 years ago I always had dogs, walked 2 hours a day and did sports, was moderate and ate what I wanted with amazing health, like you I imagine.
I was still adhd but it was much milder, pre digital age.

But I started this thread about food,, maybe inflammation and likelihood of skating injury has more to it than foods. It seems when people are upset that shit happens. Inflamed.

Inflammation leads to arthritis and cancer, heaps of other diseases, and injury.

Anger is one letter short of danger.

Skating can be a relief/release from many things, it transports you away for a short while to simpler giddier times without the shitstorm, pressures & idiots that usually surrounds us, a few mates & the simple pleasure of zooming, scaring yourself a little & grinding around until your done! :D
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby warwick » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Scissorhands wrote:Celiac aint the half of it. The main driver of my inflammation is electrosensitivity.

The one thing I’ll say is that electrosensitivty is a contentious subject, as far as the medical profession is concerned. The general consensus, as I understand it, is that there’s no scientific proof of it, and no recognised medical diagnosis. According to the NHS website up to 5% of the population believe they suffer from it, but when scientists put sufferers and volunteers close to mobile phone masts and asked them to say whether they were getting symptoms or not, without knowing whether the masts were switched on or off, there was no link between claimed symptoms and mast activity.

So if you’re getting symptoms they may relate to something else rather than electricity. Might be a good idea to visit your GP, in case there’s a different medical cause.

warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Scissorhands » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Great thanks for that.
Scissorhands
skate skate skate

Return to Injury Bench