Meniscus?

Now you broke it, etc.. and how to make it better ....

Meniscus?

Postby Corey » Sat May 12, 2018 9:07 am

I went to an MRI last week and now I got a letter from my doctor saying that - in addition to my knees generally being fairly worn out - I have a meniscus injury in my most fucked knee.

Anyone been through this before, so you can tell me what to expect when it comes to surgery, rehab and most importantly how long until I can skate properly again??
Corey
nothing better to do

Re: Meniscus?

Postby bertslide » Sat May 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Had both my inner ones removed a few years back, went to the doc after the MRI scan and he said "they're fucked", should have guessed when the doc doing the scan came in after it was done and asked if I did a lot of running, and looked really puzzled when I said never.
Anyway back on topic, had them removed on a Saturday, walked half way around Ladybower reservoir on the following Thursday, bandaged up and knees still full of fluid but it didn't hurt. back at work on Monday (one week off) working in a machine shop which involves standing up all day. Cycling to work about three weeks after the op, and a lot of weight exercises to stabilise my knee after.
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Corey » Sat May 12, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback Bert! Doesn´t sound as horrible as I imagined. I´ve read either 3-4 weeks or 3 months of recovery, depending on the type of surgery.

How are your knees now? Fully functional? (If you don´t mind me asking.)
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby bertslide » Sat May 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Its been several years since they were done and no problem at all, until last week when I fell off my SUP and tore the ligaments in my right knee. I carried on cycling, quite hard (downhill and road) for a few years after they were done, mixed in with a bit of skating, climbing and quite a bit of martial arts.
Started running a bit, a couple of years ago, (well in to my 40's and certainly not built for it) after reading Born to Run, even started enjoying it after a lifetime of avoiding it, knees are fine though.
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Corey » Sun May 13, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks man. That´s quite confidence inspiring! Fingers crossed then. =)
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby Corey » Tue May 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Turns out both sides are damaged, but the biggest problem was a cyst and other swelling in the injured knee. No skating until after the surgery. :@~ :% <) :evil: FUCK.
Last edited by Corey on Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 pm

Shit Corey. Hope things work out well for you, and work out soon.
Take care!
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Corey » Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm

JimBin wrote:Shit Corey. Hope things work out well for you, and work out soon.
Take care!

Thanks dude!

I think, or at least hope, it´s a pretty routine thing. I expect to be back in action fairly soon, once I get a time slot for surgery. ~.. ..-
Corey
nothing better to do

Return to Injury Bench