Hello from Norway

Newbies can post here

Hello from Norway

Postby Transitionsk8 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi,

I'm a man in his thirties from Norway.
I started skateboarding again last year in the autumn after 15 years absence from the board. Just one day, out of the blue I decided to check out skate videos on YouTube to see how things had progressed since I put the board down in order to "grow up". Well I'm happy I did, because the urge hit me real bad and I dusted off my old 7.5 plank with 50-something millimeter wheels from the early 2000's. That very first session I knew for a fact I wanted to skate again so now I skate an 8.5 with 60mm wheels and I'm having a blast!

I've been lurking the forums for a while and now look forward to participating in this community.
Transitionsk8
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Hello from Norway

Postby Corey » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Hei og velkommen!

Where you based at man? There´s a couple of us in Oslo. Undertime and me. ..-
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 am

Welcome!
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Brian S » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:52 am

Welcome, a bit chilly up your way at present ? :)
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Transitionsk8 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Hei :)

I'm in Bergen. When I was skating some 15 years ago, we had an indoors facility that was shared with sand volleyball players. The hall was split in half. Lots of sand made its way over to the skate area, which was a bit of a nuisance. I could always feel it after a session, but we were grateful back then to even be able to skate indoors since due to the rain we'd never knew how long we could enjoy street skating.

There was a vert ramp, mini ramp and funboxes, quarterpipes and rails. The vert was eventually disassembled and turned into a micro ramp with a spine, which was also fun to ride although I missed the vert a lot. Since then, we haven't had a vert ramp available.

I have such fond memories of that time spent in the hall! It was closed eventually, I think not too long after I put the board away to "grow up".

Luckily, there was a new hall built I think in 2009, some ten years ago, which explains the high level of the young skaters there when I started again in the autumn 2018. It felt strange to step in there being so rusty, and twice the age of most of the skaters, but I got comfortable on the board again quickly, although the kids are ripping like crazy, way better than me.

Most of the guys my age are either fathers accompanying their kids there, or they're veterans and/or skate shop people.

I hope to try out the skateparks in the Oslo area next time I'm there, hopefully in spring or summer :)
Transitionsk8
What mid life crisis ?

Return to Introductions