New old newbie from the North West

Newbies can post here

New old newbie from the North West

Postby LexSid » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi,

I'm Lex from near Wigan and Bolton. Skated a lot in the late 80's to early 90's then for one reason or another stopped. Several years (20 odd) later and I fancy getting back on it. I never did anything very skilful, just enjoyed skating on the streets with my mates. Really fancy getting to bowl riding, but for the time being think it will be me going up and down the road in front of the house with my kids laughing at me getting my balance back!
LexSid
What mid life crisis ?

Re: New old newbie from the North West

Postby undertime » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:32 am

Welcome on board Lex.

There's plenty of folk on here in the North West and lots of meet ups. Ramp1 is pretty close to you, as is Howe Bridge, and both will be great in the coming winter months. Keep your eyes on the threads for sessions with other like-minded old farts (obviously including myself in that).

Cheers, pad up and have fun ..-
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby LexSid » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:36 pm

Cheers for the welcome.

Howe bridge is only 5 -10 mins away from me so that's great.
Will definitely get there at some point, just don't think I'm ready for it with my current riding ability.

Once I'm confident enough I'll be looking forward to trying different places. With working shifts I get quite a lot of midweek days off with the wife at work and the kids in school.
LexSid
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Brian S » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:26 pm

LexSid wrote:Cheers for the welcome.

Howe bridge is only 5 -10 mins away from me so that's great.
Will definitely get there at some point, just don't think I'm ready for it with my current riding ability.

Once I'm confident enough I'll be looking forward to trying different places. With working shifts I get quite a lot of midweek days off with the wife at work and the kids in school.

Howe Bridge is highly recommended nice little park
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Fen » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Welcome on board. Get to Howe Bridge on a Friday morning with the north west friday club. Doesn't matter how much or how little skill you have. Everyone will help and encourage you. There will only be the middle age shredders there so a good time to learn. Also watch out for sessions at Ramp1, Beast Rampz and in the summer all the outdoor parks. On the evening of December 10th there is a Christmas bash at Ramp City in Blackpool for us 'mature' skateboarders. Again, not too far from you (kids and wife are welcome too btw).
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby LexSid » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:11 pm

Thanks Brian and Fen,

Mooching around on the forum I can see a few mentions of the North West Friday Club. Is there usually a few at Howe Bridge most Fridays?
LexSid
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Jimbo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi Lexs, I'm also a North Westener (Preston). I started from scratch with transition about 3 or 4 years ago now (skated a bit of street and jump ramps when I was 10).
As well as the Friday club I tend to get to a cool indoor park at Darwen mid week which is a really really good spot with a lovely mellow bowl, and then we tend to hit Ramp City in Blackpool as many Sundays as possible.
In summer I try to get over to Euxton (near Chorley) on sunny mornings when you have the place to yourself.
If you fancy meeting for a sesh at any point then give me a shout (I'm self employed so often around in the daytime)

All the best

James
Save money on softer bushings by eating more food and drinking more beer.
Jimbo
nothing better to do

Postby LexSid » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks James,

Lots of good info there. Seems there's a lot going on in the area most days of the week then no matter what time of the year it is.

Speaking to the wife about getting back on a board and besides laughing at me (lots) she's keen on getting me dressed up like an ice hockey goalie!
LexSid
What mid life crisis ?

Postby ChrisPackit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread!

Recently moved house to the Warrington area, and wondering if there are any recommended skate parks in the Warrington / Runcorn area? I'm 42 now, but back in the day, I was more of a 'Street' skater with a bit of mini ramp rather than bowls / vert. I noticed theres a Ramp place in Warrington... any good for a Street guy with diminished abilities !? I don't want to be shown up / mocked by the teenagers though! Still trying to find my feet again after 25 years! Would like to invest in some good pads and try more min ramps / bowls I think!

Thanks

Chris
ChrisPackit
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Brian S » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:49 pm

ChrisPackit wrote:Apologies for resurrecting an old thread!

Recently moved house to the Warrington area, and wondering if there are any recommended skate parks in the Warrington / Runcorn area? I'm 42 now, but back in the day, I was more of a 'Street' skater with a bit of mini ramp rather than bowls / vert. I noticed theres a Ramp place in Warrington... any good for a Street guy with diminished abilities !? I don't want to be shown up / mocked by the teenagers though! Still trying to find my feet again after 25 years! Would like to invest in some good pads and try more min ramps / bowls I think!

Thanks

Chris

There's a full street type setup in there along with plenty of other stuff to keep you busy at Ramp1! :D
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Fen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 pm

ChrisPackit wrote:Apologies for resurrecting an old thread!

Thanks

Chris

Ramp1 one is good. We have regular sessions there. We are there tonight (most Thursdays). 5 quid from 7pm. Nice easy street area and mini ramps for you. Come on down.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby undertime » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:37 pm

I'll agree with the chaps on this. I skate pretty much exclusively street, although definitely not at an advanced level, and the two street areas at Ramp1 are pretty good - especially if they're not packed with scooters! Give it a go :D
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Return to Introductions