Best board for adult novice

Newbies can post here

Postby DRG » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi

Not sure if this is the right board but...

I joined a while back and a member helped me out with some trucks and wheels on a longboard deck that I had. Anyway, long story short, I thought I would cruise like a knife through butter on my 120cm longboard. However, in reality I struggled to control it and more or less gave up.

However, I am keen for another less idealistic go. Therefore of I just want to skate with my kids what should I go for, what will be easier to pick up and learn on based on the fact I have very minimal previous experience!

Thanks all

DRG
DRG
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Best board for adult novice

Postby WeeChumlee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi there

Take this all with a pinch of salt as I am a total noob too but this is what I found:
I started with longboard cruising, no downhill stuff, and then went on to playing around in the local skateparks on a shortboard.
I have 10 boards at last count and what I find is a follows.
For long cruises along the promenade I use a 1m board with really loose turny front trucks and stiff rear.
For short cruises this: http://www.mindlesslongboards.com/mindl ... lamari-ii/
For the local pools I have an old school 9.5" wide board that I enjoy the most. Just feels very stable and safe.
If I feel lucky I use a standard popsicle board that is a bit narrower and is lighter and more responsive.
Trucks, well I have tried a few and for me cheapo Bullet trucks are nice and turny and do me just fine.

My 2 Cents, but as we are all individuals we are all going to do it differently so nothing is gospel.

Hope you find something that suits you.

Cheers
WeeChumlee
smell of grip tape

Postby warwick » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:12 pm

I'd go for a generic board - popsicle shape, not too big, not too small. Say 8" to 8.5" wide. Get whatever you like the look of, or whatever you get a good deal on. Get good trucks - independent or Thunder 149s, or Theeve 5.85", or any other big brand trucks in that size. Get medium sized wheels between 52mm and 56mm. As a beginner, you may find slightly softer wheels more forgiving - maybe Spitfire Soft Ds or Ricta Clouds 86a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Mumblewood » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm

warwick wrote:I'd go for a generic board - popsicle shape, not too big, not too small. Say 8" to 8.5" wide. Get whatever you like the look of, or whatever you get a good deal on. Get good trucks - independent or Thunder 149s, or Theeve 5.85", or any other big brand trucks in that size. Get medium sized wheels between 52mm and 56mm. As a beginner, you may find slightly softer wheels more forgiving - maybe Spitfire Soft Ds or Ricta Clouds 86a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this. Whenever I have to get a new board to skate any/every thing I always tend to end up with this type of setup. Except I usually get Bones STF or SPF wheels.
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Mumblewood
skate skate skate

Postby Toon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:11 pm

I've just started skating after 20 years again (42) had a 7.25 popsicle set up given, scared the life outta me with my large feet. Had a go of my mates powell ripper and just loved it. Fat decks all the way! Got a Natas evil cat coming I need all the board I can find to stay safe :P
https://www.instagram.com/richy_skates/
Toon
skate skate skate

Postby DRG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice. It looks like a wide deck may be the best all round solution, now I need to keep my eye out! Though I may as well play about with the setup also on my longboard and try and dial it in a little better

Thanks for the advice, I better get shopping;)
DRG
What mid life crisis ?

Postby undertime » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:00 am

Whereabouts are you based DRG? There may be someone local to you that can either let you try a deck out or give/loan you one perhaps.

If you happen to live in Norway you can have one of mine. But I'm guessing the chances of that are relatively slim...
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby DRG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 am

Haha thanks, not quite Norway but Bournemouth in the UK:)
DRG
What mid life crisis ?

Postby tom.hoffman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:28 pm

DRGskater wrote:Thank you everyone for the advice. It looks like a wide deck may be the best all round solution, now I need to keep my eye out! Though I may as well play about with the setup also on my longboard and try and dial it in a little better

Just bear in mind that going over 8.5-ish is mostly a matter of feel and preference rather than performance. Don't forget the weight penalty of big boards and wheels.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby warwick » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:09 pm

tom.hoffman wrote:
DRGskater wrote:Thank you everyone for the advice. It looks like a wide deck may be the best all round solution, now I need to keep my eye out! Though I may as well play about with the setup also on my longboard and try and dial it in a little better

Just bear in mind that going over 8.5-ish is mostly a matter of feel and preference rather than performance. Don't forget the weight penalty of big boards and wheels.

Yes indeed. Until you're proficient enough to make a positive choice for a 'niche' board, get something completely normal - which is to say, a regular popsicle deck under 8.5" and over 7.75"

When it comes to longboards, that's almost a different sport. Great for cruising down hills, but with the length and without a kicktail, you won't learn many skateboarding basics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby HarryR » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 pm

I think 8.5" is a sweet spot size-wise. I've tried wider and narrower and always end up back at 8.5". I know it's horses for courses but if you're unsure it's a way to hedge your bets and you won't far wrong either way (sorry for the unintentional horse racing metaphors!).

Having said that there does seem to be a trend on here towards ever wider boards. At an old codgers session the other day a couple of the guys were riding 11" boards :shock: it's like things have gone full circle yet again. Narrow-wide-narrow-wide. Where will it all end?

The thing is, as with most gear obsessed MASers, you'll probably end up going through lots of variations over time and you'll make your own mind up. Riding other people's boards is a good way to figure out what you might prefer without wasting too much money.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby DRG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks for the extra advice. Maybe I should get a 12 inch board and keep sanding the sides down;)

Cheers once again:)
DRG
What mid life crisis ?

Postby tom.hoffman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:38 pm

When I started skating again seven-ish years ago, it was still fairly difficult to find even a 9 inch board. I'm glad I didn't have as much temptation to just get a 10" old school deck with no nose which is ultimately just harder to ride (although fun for a change!).
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby WeeChumlee » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:52 pm

--> DGRskater
Bournemouth :D
Well fancy that, me too. If you want to try a board of mine you are most welcome.
WeeChumlee
smell of grip tape

Postby HUNGOVERDOG » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:25 pm

I have an 8'' popsicle and although I can skate (ok) on it I will definitely be getting something a bit wider next time. Probably an 8.5 or 8.75. I'm a small guy with average sized feet but it doesn't feel stable in the bowl for me and after riding an 8.75 of my mates I'm definitely sold on a wider board.
HUNGOVERDOG
What mid life crisis ?

Return to Introductions