34 and learning to skate

Newbies can post here

34 and learning to skate

Postby thomas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:32 pm

I am 34 years old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD.

I have no experience skating, but always wanted to learn. The problem is that people with ADHD tend to prefer things that they are good at quickly, rather than hobbies/pursuits that have a long and slow payback.

Now that I know what I am up against, I've thrown myself in at the deep end and picked up the following:

Krooked Zig Zagger Deck
Krooked 58mm 80HD Zip Zinger Wheels
Krooked 1/4 inch Risers
Independent Stage 11 149 Forged Titanium Skateboard Trucks
Bones Swiss Skateboard Bearings
Independent Hardware

There is plenty of great tutorials on youtube, but just wanted to say hi and see if anyone can recommend any specific channels/online courses.

Thomas
thomas
What mid life crisis ?

Re: 34 and learning to skate

Postby Jory » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Honestly its just practice, time and being prepared to get up and do it again after you've fallen over.

Skating is all about persistence and small victories. Getting those tiny pieces of progression every couple of times you go out is what hooked me all those years ago

Find a flat piece of ground and just get used to pushing and rolling around first, cruise to the local shop etc

good luck!!!
Jory
skate skate skate

Postby Old time sk8er » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Thomas,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. There’s some great people on here, as well as a wealth of info.
Braille tutorials are really good - check out on YouTube.

If you are able to hook up with a group of older skaters, once you get started, this will speed up both your confidence and abilities.

Take your time and stick at it! Little steps, and don’t expect too much too soon. Some things will ‘click’, others will take longer.

Good luck
Old time sk8er
smell of grip tape

Postby thomas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks for the warm response.

Built the board this evening and took it for a little cruise around the local park.

It’s just as hard as I remember, but was able to have a push around, get up a bit of speed and steer by leaning and/or using the tail. Stopping seems much harder, but will get out again tomorrow and keep at it.

Thanks for the Braille suggestion; looks good and just going to start watching their beginner stuff now.

Thomas
thomas
What mid life crisis ?

Postby JimBin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 pm

Welcome Thomas. The very best of luck with it.
Hope the journey brings plenty of enjoyment!
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby thomas » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:05 am

I just wanted to add that I am based in Tonbridge, Kent.

Let me know if any of you are from around these parts.
thomas
What mid life crisis ?

Postby SidcupSlam » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 pm

I’m in se London so not really the Tonbridge area but I do get myself down to the skatepark at Cyclopark in Gravesend. It’s great if you just want a large expansive space to just simply skate about with some gentle banks that can help build up your confidence. Well worth a visit, especially about 7pm as it’s floodlit and there is hardly anyone else about at that time (all the scooter kids have gone home for their tea by then).
SidcupSlam
I skateboard

Postby thomas » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:44 pm

Good knowledge, thanks for the recommendation.
thomas
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Pook » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Welcome.

Enjoy it more than anything else.

Have fun.
Pook
What mid life crisis ?

Postby warwick » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 pm

From an interview with Ryan Sheckler:

You suffer from ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. How does that fit in with your enormous self-discipline and the focused training that you’re so well known for?

I don’t know, either. Whenever I’m on the skateboard, I have fun and can practice the same tricks for hours. It’s only when I sit still and have to listen that I get fidgety and can’t concentrate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby skater73 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:48 am

warwick wrote:From an interview with Ryan Sheckler:

You suffer from ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. How does that fit in with your enormous self-discipline and the focused training that you’re so well known for?

I don’t know, either. Whenever I’m on the skateboard, I have fun and can practice the same tricks for hours. It’s only when I sit still and have to listen that I get fidgety and can’t concentrate.

I think Tony Hawk is/was the same and he turned out ok :D
skater73
I got new wheels

Postby reckless toboggan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Sorry. Got distracted. Didn't get any of it mate. Say again?

; P
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby warwick » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:29 pm

reckless toboggan wrote:

Sorry. Got distracted. Didn't get any of it mate. Say again?

; P

Well, it’s when you’re easily distrac...

warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Scissorhands » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:05 am

Some science says extreme sports and the adrenaline junkie syndrome is a cause of ADHD type symptoms and can scramble normal brain function.
The theory is the fight or flight response from saber tooth tiger escapes, was not meant to be engaged daily but only in life saving emergencies.
However I dont believe so myself.

Personally, I think flashing screens, inactivity, sitting, caffeine, alcohol, pollutants, diet, esp wheat and dairy and polluted meat with bio magnification of ingested toxins are stronger activators for hyperactivity. Drug injury [including vaccine injury] and head injury are implicated too.

Inheritance from parents and prolly the fact that they had all these negative things going on and now the epigenetic code is screwed by past toxic buildup within the dna.

Prolly the best an adhd'er or aspie can do is go straightedge/paleo/vegan.

Skating is all good.
Scissorhands
skate skate skate

Postby Cara » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:10 pm

Welcome! I started at 32 with very a similar situation. I had tried a little before but never really stuck with it.

The biggest difference for me this go around was taking the time to learn to skate around well. I had no idea whether or not I would be able to do anything else but I just practice skating around pavement for 20-30 minutes a day. Getting comfortable on the board made it enjoyable and once it was just fun it was easy to stick with.

I've only been doing it for 10 months but I've managed to learn to ollie and be comfortable riding around the park. Sometimes I push myself on a trick trying over and over and other times I just ride around and enjoy it. Either way it's been great for my mental health and for my physical health. And what really hooked me is when I realized that even if I didn't feel well, I could still make myself go skate--that had never been true of things like running or biking.

Also, don't be afraid to ask other skaters questions. I've found most people to be really helpful and supportive. I generally prefer being alone, but I can attest to the idea that you do progress much faster when you skate with others. And as has been mentioned, Braille makes great tutorials. I am trying to follow that path but even still having other skaters around can provide you with some insights or other tips/tricks not always covered in the Braille content.

Glad to know someone else around my age that's just starting! Best of luck and have fun!
Cara
smell of grip tape

Return to Introductions