Fresh meat

Newbies can post here

Fresh meat

Postby Skatalite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi all,

41yr old dad here, boarding since early '80s. If I didn't learn it from the Hamlyn book of Skateboarding then assume I don't know it. I just wrote a massive post about all the boards I've had, but it disappeared. I'll cut to the chase.

EDIT - I've added a little info about each board, as if anyone cares...

Red plastic board

No idea where this came from, maybe a colleague of my Dad's? Who knows, it was shod with wheels harder than Phil Mitchell and slid on every corner, I was about 5 years old, making this 1982.

Green board

Slim like a precursor to the popsicle board but flat and with only one kicktail, this was bought new from C&N Cycles. It had Transitions written on it and had pink wheels. It was pretty sweet.

Black board

I found this under a hedge and stuck some really soft wide wheels on it. It may have had an eagle logo but was just another anonymous kid's board.

Suddenly I discovered BMXs and forgot skating for a good few years...

Blueprint John Rattray

My mate Trev who worked in a skateshop in Redhill hooked me up with a proper setup at around 20 years old, Blueprint, Destructo trucks and 53mm wheels, it was fully sick. I however wasn't sick enough, one afternoon I almost snapped my feckin' foot off and, oblivious to my ever swelling ankle, passed out with pain at a party that night. I had to be carried into A&E, not my finest moment.

Rattray Schlongboard

As punishment, I made the Blueprint into a schlongboard, wanging the trucks onto the nose and tail and fitting sloped wooden risers to try to maintain some semblance of geometry. It had some ginormous super soft red longboard wheels that I've forgotten the name of and it didn't turn.

Killer Loop popsicle

I was in Munich and needed both transport and a bit of a buzz, I hit gumtree and landed a nice complete for 5 euros. It had shite graphics though.

Killer Loop schlongboard

So I promptly fucked it up by making another sodding schlongboard out of it! I spraypainted it, gave it a wicked stencil (my little hobby) and added Trap Crewzer 62mm wheels, it was great but I was still getting wheelbite and so, after returning home, I took my jigsaw to it and carved out some of the board to accommodate the wheels. That's the board in my avatar.

Venom Popsicle

I'm a knob sometimes and decided that I needed another board, the cheaper the better. BOOM, I hit gumtree, and a fiver later I was rocking a basic complete that Crystal (aged 7) didn't want. It was immaculate aside from her name being on the kicktail. I eradicated her name by grinding on a kerbstone. In your face, Crystal! I gave this to my neighbour's lad as I wasn't using it. He doesn't use it either. Maybe I'll buy it off gumtree in several years....

Penny Nickel 27"

My current board, fast, smooth, silent and larger than those tiny Penny boards that you are thinking of. It's griptaped and rides really well, though it's very flexy. I'm only about 60kg so hopefully it'll stay in one piece.

Despite a fair few years skating, I've never been in a skatepark or a bowl, I can ollie to some degree but just enjoy cruising about and trying not to fall off. None of my mates have ever been into skating so it's always been a solitary sport for me. That's probably why I'm a very mediocre rider.

Keep it frosty
Last edited by Skatalite on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Re: Fresh meat

Postby wavesnwheels » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi Skatalite, welcome to the asylum. The Hamlyn book of Skateboarding made me chuckle, I used to love those sort of books but sadly never had that one.
Enjoy the site.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby Skatalite » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Cheers man, that’s a list of the most mediocre boards ever owned (aside from the Rattray) I have vowed never to make another schlongboard as they are nothing but disappointment. Also, anything with wheelbite can do one, there’s nothing more unexpected than being hurled to the floor midcorner.

The penny is griptaped and I’m improving my Ollies on it, so it’s not all bad
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby Skatalite » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Really pleased with how the griptape job worked out on this. It's made a huge difference to the board, despite the waffle pattern, Pennys are slippier than a greased weasel.

Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby Skatalite » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm

It didn't look that tidy for long, here it is again after a fair bit of ollie practice, you can see the waffle pattern appearing but no tears or damage yet...

And the state of my shoes too

Look at that flex!

Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby TonyB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Welcome to MAS. I still have a copy of The Hamlin Book of Skateboarding which was a 1970's release. If find it amusing that it was your first interaction with skateboarding as it was an old and quite outdated reference by the early 1980‘s. Lots of memories for me in there, pictures from Skate City, the plastic canoe helmets and those red and white pads (both of which I still have

Penny's are really a starter board for most of us, OK for cruising around and I'm amazed you can olly one.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Skatalite » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:38 am

Hi, Tony, yeah, I’m not some sort of Penny evangelist, i know they’re a bit frowned upon, I just wanted something light and portable to ride with my little lad. Cheap was a bonus too. I’m moving to a new area soon and have spotted a couple of skateparks within a mile or so, maybe I’ll pluck up the courage to have a roll around.
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby Mark_81 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:22 am

Welcome to the forum dude - nice skills on the penny! Get yourself to the skatepark.... you will never look back!

Happy shredding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram grey_ham_81
Mark_81
I got new wheels

Postby Skatalite » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks man, hopefully I’ll ge able to hit the bowl at the nearest park after dropping my lad off at nursery, it’s hard to find free time with a 18 month old.
I’ve got a go pro so prepare for a slam-reel...
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby Skatalite » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:59 am

A sad day, the board has been packed and taken by the removal men, it'll be a month before I see it again and a fair time longer before I can get out and explore my new place on it.
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby wavesnwheels » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:33 am

Skatalite wrote:A sad day, the board has been packed and taken by the removal men, it'll be a month before I see it again and a fair time longer before I can get out and explore my new place on it.

You should have kept it back in the boot of your car mate, for those spontaneous I've got ten minutes to kill sessions. Unless of course you are moving overseas in which case it makes perfect sense.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby Skatalite » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:07 pm

That’s just it, I’m moving to Munich from the UK so all the fun stuff has been packed and sent...
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby wavesnwheels » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 pm

Hope the move goes well and you find some good spots out there.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby HarryR » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:51 am

Skatalite wrote:That’s just it, I’m moving to Munich from the UK so all the fun stuff has been packed and sent...

I'm in Munich right now on holiday. Cool place. Would be great to live here. I spotted a very ramp on the way into town. Couldn't tell you where it is though.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Skatalite » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:24 am

Hi Harry, if you get the chance, take a trip to Englischer Garten, it’s a Park in the city (like Hyde Park etc) but if you find the right spot there is a river with a deliberately constructed ‘standing wave’ for surfing. I guarantee you’ll see riders today, it’s always packed and is worth visiting just to see surfing happening right under your nose.

5 mins walk from city centre

https://youtu.be/vBdm15wRqig

Google ‘Eisbach’

Also, try to spot naked people in the park, it’s a ‘thing’

Oh, and find the michael Jackson statute too, just for a laugh. Google it again
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby HarryR » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:44 pm

That is so cool! It also explains why I saw so many people walking through the city centre with surf boards under their arms. I couldn't figure out why that would be given that the nearest ocean is miles away!

We drove past the Englischer Garten today but didn't get chance to stop off. Unfortunately will be leaving town first thing in the morning so will have to give it a miss.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Skatalite » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:36 am

Suddenly this happened..

Element Nyjah Huston Deck on Venture trucks. Spitfire 52s and Bones Reds. There's a little wear to the deck but the wheels still have their grooves, it's pretty sweet...

Obviously I won't be sending a Switch Nollie Hardflip to Crook rail anytime soon, but it looks the part and gets me a popsicle again. This one won't be getting schlongboarded...
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby wavesnwheels » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Good job Skatalite, looks like a good setup. Your ollies are gonna pop way higher than on your old penny.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby Skatalite » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Oh LOL, the deck is called a ‘Featherlight Beastmode’, I am very much more the former... maybe it is lighter than a regular deck, it feels very like my old Rattray. The concave feels good underfoot and it’s marginally wider than some at 8.1ish inches. I’ve not had time to get out properly on it yet but had a little Ollie-fest in the garden. This was literally my first attempt on the board. It’ll get better.

Vs. the Penny

Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby wavesnwheels » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 am

I'd say that first attempt looks good, comparing the two clips it looks to be easier on the new board, as expected but you can see your technique works much better on the stiffer popsicle deck.

Time to start doing them rolling me thinks....
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby Skatalite » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:23 am

Rolling is the next step, but I've had bugger all time to get this done, those vids are shot in my garden as I only get the odd 5 minutes here and there to get on the board. Hopefully this will change following my upcoming move. And there is a hell of a lot more pop available from the new Element than that Penny.

Spotted you're West Sussex way, I'm not anymore, but grew up in Crawley, hello.
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby JimBin » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:30 am

Welcome, Skatalite.
Best of luck with the move and the new board.
Seeing you ollie a penny board reminds me of two things:
1) As a teenager, like most others, when I broke a deck, I had to go back to my last unbroken deck or borrow a mates unbroken one until I got the money for a new deck. At one stage all I had left was a toy shop version of a penny board (it was my first ever skateboard when I was about 7 or 8). It had huge pop! I had great fun on it for a few weeks.

2) this:
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Skatalite » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:17 am

That’s some insane skills, give me a few weeks...
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby Skatalite » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:13 pm

I have been to a skatepark!

Ok, maybe most of you have spent the last 30 years in Skateparks, but this was my first time. It’s about 1Km from my place and has a rail that I didn’t touch, a manual pad that I didn’t touch, a pyramid kinda Thing (yup, you got it) a quarter pipe that I gingerly used to ride fakie into a 180 and a concreteblock thing that I put my jumper on as I was getting hot.

As I’m sure you can image it was an insane session, it was fully going off.

Actually it was a Nice smooth surface and there was nobody around. I just practiced moving Ollies and tried to no-comply, which will take some more work, oh yes, lots more work.
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby Skatalite » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Today a shuvit was landed.

It was more by luck than judgement but with only about 15 minutes practice I managed a passable trick. More practice tomorrow
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby JimBin » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Nice Skatalite! Well done on both counts.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Skatalite » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks mate, I can’t post pics or vids as i currently have no computer (need to host via Flickr but no WiFi at home) , though can upload to Facebook.

I’ve swapped back to the smaller harder spitfire wheels as I was keen to get back into tricks and not just commuting, they are so slow on the rough tarmac round here though
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby undertime » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Bonafide achievement - well done!
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby JimBin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:31 am

Skatalite wrote:I’ve swapped back to the smaller harder spitfire wheels as I was keen to get back into tricks and not just commuting, they are so slow on the rough tarmac round here though

I skate tarmac sometimes too. Finding the most suitable wheel for my skating is difficult as I skate different grounds too. Happy with what I have, though. Some of the more trick-oriented skaters round here will refuse to skate anything except smooth concrete.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Return to Introductions