Another newbie arrives

Newbies can post here

Another newbie arrives

Postby fraz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:33 am

Hello all

30 something here in Leicester with two young kids and seriously considering embarking on the same mid (ish) life crisis that brings you all here. I skated a bit when I was younger (but was never any good), up until the age of about 15/16 when I started work and unfortunately lost contact with a lot of my friends that skated. I never took it particularly seriously anyway; I'm from the generation that I think you will be seeing more and more of on this website and hopefully on the streets - Tony Hawks Skateboarding was released in 1999 and probably 30-50% of my school year had a skateboard of some description by the turn of the millennium. I've always remained interested in skateboarding and continued to keep up with videos and the lifestyle aspect etc., but I have never taken the plunge into buying another board - which I think is about to change despite the ridicule I'm sure I will face from my friends and family.

At the minute I have no aspirations of doing anything particularly extreme, I'm more interested in just cruising around and getting some confidence on the board. For that reason (and I know this may be blasphemous to some of you) I am considering going for a longboard at the minute, perhaps something like a Lush Freebyrd (first post won't let me add URLs). I worry that I may, once I have a bit more confidence, feel the desire to go and carve a couple of concrete bowls that are fairly nearby (although generally inundated with kids on scooters) and worry that I will be restricted by the board. But at the same time I don't want to go out and buy a popsicle that's not going to be what I want in the first instance. And let's face it, I may never make it to the bowl anyway! What's everybody's thoughts - get the longboard and just get my legs back into it and maybe get another board when (if) the time comes that I want to do something more? Or just take the plunge with something a bit more well rounded now? If you're in the latter camp then suggestions on boards/setups (<£150) would be appreciated. Something nice and smooth for chilled out cruising but capable of pumping a bowl or two if required...

Anyway I'll spare you any further detail, but considering my remoteness from the skateboarding community I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you on here and I hope this turns out to be all I hope it to.
fraz
I'm too scared to post more

Re: Another newbie arrives

Postby fftc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:36 am

Welcome along.

Nothing wrong with starting out on a longboard. When you just want to get used to rolling on a board again they can be pretty helpful, and I started on one. Also, Lush stuff is good quality so you won't be going wrong buying from them. It didn't take long for me to realise I wanted something more manoeuvrable, and I've spent a stack of cash since finding what I now think I'm settled on. The thing about this skateboard lark is that these days there is such a lot of variety around and everyone has their own preferences, so one mans advice may not get the perfect set-up for the next man.
You probably need to just get rolling and accept that if you feel the love again you will then spend a lot of time and money searching for your grail! :lol:
fftc
I skateboard

Postby Frizzer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:43 am

Welcome, I came at it from a different direction. I've spent the last two years on a multitude of popsicle decks and old school shapes before coming to the realisation recently that although I do enjoy rolling around the parks, I'm pretty shit at it!

So in rder to mix things up a bit I've just bought a downhill longboard (an Original Skateboards Arbiter 36) as one of my friends does downhill and it looks like fun, and I don't need to be able to ollie!! At the moment I'm just getting used to it and learning to stop as I discovered when I first used it on Monday that it goes off like a rocket as soon as it hits a slope! Thankfully I was in a park so quickly dived off into the grass :-)
Shit but enthusiastic
Frizzer
smell of grip tape

Postby wavesnwheels » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:47 am

Hi Fraz and welcome to the nut house. A lot of the guys on here aren't here because they've had a mid life crisis, they're here because they have always skated and never stopped, they are skateboarders regardless of their age. That being said there are also beginners and those returning to it after a long absence. Hey it's all inclusive!

The Lush board you are looking at is a great board and UK made, there was a guy on here a while back who bought one and loved it, even posted a picture of it sat outside the pub with a pint :-)

I owned a Loaded pintail which was a great board for messing round in a car park etc. but I soon got fed up with it having no kick tail, which you need for basics like going down or up curbs. I've since had a few different boards, including another short long board that has a kick tail, I couldn't help myself when I saw the deck and convinced myself it would be great skating along the front with the kids on their scooters, which it is but everytime I ride it I think "if I was on my normal board I could....."

Anyway the point is, get what you want, if you look at a popsicle and think hmm but look at a long board and think whay hey then get a longboard but be ready to buy something new in the near future. There's no way you will buy your first board and it be the only one you ride, everyone on here has gone through multiple setups in the pursuit of their skateboarding dream.

A couple of options I see -

Get a second hand (not worn out) popsicle and longboard. Try them both, you will go from one to the other and ultimately never decide anyway but your unrestricted in your choice.

Buy a mid length (shorter) longboard deck (with kick tail) some tkp trucks (normal skateboard trucks like independents, venture etc) as oppose to longboard rkp's, get some soft wheels. Ride this and then if you decide you want to go shorter you only have to buy a new popsicle deck or whatever and then later if you want to hit up the bowls get some harder wheels.

On second thoughts as you are in Leicester check out Conflict Skates for advice, the guy who owns the shop is a lifelong skater, very knowledgable and a decent bloke.
Last edited by wavesnwheels on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby Brian S » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:54 am

Good move to get back on board, don't worry about ridicule as that's never changed, it's more bewilderment of others the older you get :lol: :lol: , as their couch potato following the trend herd mentality cannot compute a free thinking dooer :lol: :lol: I see so many miserable sods who only do what their peers feel is the acceptable norm, skaters tend not to be like this fortunately, just hook up locally with some like minded idiots to moan & skate around in circles trying not to fall off with! :D :D :wink:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby fraz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:27 am

Thanks all for your quick responses, and good idea RE: gearing up a longboard deck with TKPs for a bit of future flexibility, thanks wavesnwheels.

I'm glad you vouched for Conflict, he's literally around the corner from me but had yet to come across anyone who has had any dealings with them, so always nice to hear a positive.

I think longboard with a kicktail is probably the route I'll go down - I guess it's time to put my money where my mouth is, take the leap and seek out the 'like minded idiots'!
fraz
I'm too scared to post more

Postby wavesnwheels » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:28 am

Brian S wrote:Good move to get back on board, don't worry about ridicule as that's never changed, it's more bewilderment of others the older you get :lol: :lol: , as their couch potato following the trend herd mentality cannot compute a free thinking dooer :lol: :lol: I see so many miserable sods who only do what their peers feel is the acceptable norm, skaters tend not to be like this fortunately, just hook up locally with some like minded idiots to moan & skate around in circles trying not to fall off with! :D :D :wink:

Well said Brian, apart from the moaning bit :lol: Whenever I get anyone looking at me like they think I'm far to old to be on a skateboard I just crack a big smile at them to let them know how much fun I'm having, it either makes them smile or they look away in embarrassment. This never happens in a skatepark as the majority in there are enjoying it too and regardless of age all seem to be supportive and on the same wavelength.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby Frizzer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:50 am

Another vote for Conflict, I've bought a few things via his eBay store and he is super helpful and really knowledgeable. What I really like is his reviews of most of the stuff he sells, you get the manufacturers blurb and then his own take on it and what kit works best for each deck.
Shit but enthusiastic
Frizzer
smell of grip tape

Postby Canky » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:47 am

Another thumbs up for conflict

He has some great stuff and is very helpful. Im in leicester as well and Dee even delivered my orders personally

Well done for taking the plunge and coming back to skating. I took the decision back in Feb after 25 years out, and i have no regrets. Having the best time.

See you sometime on the leicester parks. Theres a bunch of us oldies about.
Canky
What mid life crisis ?

Postby JimBin » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 am

Welcome, fraz. Hope all works out for you.
As for choosing equipment, going to a physical shop is a big help cos you can touch stuff and see what you are drawn to. My own feeling is that fun can be had on any type of skateboard.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Return to Introductions