Hello from a newbie in Reading

Newbies can post here

Hello from a newbie in Reading

Postby Kellykoeksister » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Hello!

I have recently returned to skateboarding after a 20 year old break. I grew up in South Africa and used to do a bit of street skating - mostly trying NOT to freak out going down hills and (unsuccessfully) attempting to ollie on/off pavements.
I was also the designated videographer for my group of skateboarding friends who used to so some pretty cool tricks (well, anything is cool when you can't do any tricks yourself) at some indoor skatepark in the Cape Town area. Unfortunately I no longer have any tapes from those sessions :-(

I have been living in the UK (Reading) for almost 11 years. I started surfing last year but being so far from good surf, it made complete sense to get back on a skateboard! I had a beginner lesson at Mount Hawke Indoor Skatepark in Newquay whilst on holiday there which was awesome. I now spend as much time as possible at Sol Joel skatepark and met someone there who introduced me to MAS.

My 4 year old son is also learning - we both thoroughly enjoyed a 'beginner session' at Oxford Wheels Project a couple of Sundays ago, so hopefully I'll be able to help him (and I'm sure in the not too distant future, he'll be teaching me!) The hubby is not keen but is happy to come along so he is now the designated photographer/videographer :wink:

I have a Blind deck (I was obsessed with Blind back in the 90s) but I'm also looking to get another setup more suitable for the streets (recommendations welcome!).

Looking forward to getting to know you and hopefully meet up in Reading or near surrounds :D ~..
Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Hello from a newbie in Reading

Postby Mark_81 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:30 am

Nice intro & welcome to the stoke house!

As for a street set up it’s all down to personal preference. It’s a current trend to have a wider deck at 8.25 / 8.50 these are the most common widths but wheelbase is probably more important! I recommend getting on YouTube it has lots of helpful clips on set up.

I have tried & tested / invested in many many set ups but for me this is half the enjoyment. I currently ride a Polar 8.50 which I can skate street or bowl without swapping boards.

Happy shredding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram grey_ham_81
Mark_81
I got new wheels

Postby doowyrag » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Hello and welcome.
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby Kellykoeksister » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Mark_81 wrote:Nice intro & welcome to the stoke house!

As for a street set up it’s all down to personal preference. It’s a current trend to have a wider deck at 8.25 / 8.50 these are the most common widths but wheelbase is probably more important! I recommend getting on YouTube it has lots of helpful clips on set up.

I have tried & tested / invested in many many set ups but for me this is half the enjoyment. I currently ride a Polar 8.50 which I can skate street or bowl without swapping boards.

Happy shredding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll definitely look up the tips on YouTube! I totally get your enjoyment from your various set ups and think that is exactly where I'm headed :lol:
Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Kellykoeksister » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 pm

doowyrag wrote:Hello and welcome.

Thank you! :D

..-
Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Postby undertime » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Welcome on board!

Kellykoeksister wrote: The hubby is not keen but is happy to come along so he is now the designated photographer/videographer :wink:

Look forward to seeing the videos. Enjoy!
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby Kellykoeksister » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:12 pm

undertime wrote:Welcome on board!

Thank you! :-)

I was so disappointed when I watched my last video back to see that I wasn’t going at 50 mph up a 6ft ramp (what it felt like) and that it was more like 0.2 mph up a 2ft gently sloped ramp :roll: :lol:
But still, good to see what you’re actually doing.
Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Brian S » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:24 am

I was so disappointed when I watched my last video back to see that I wasn’t going at 50 mph up a 6ft ramp (what it felt like) and that it was more like 0.2 mph up a 2ft gently sloped ramp :roll: :lol:
But still, good to see what you’re actually doing.[/quote]

Welcome back on board, yes we feel like we're travelling around at breakneck speeds on the edge of disaster, unfortunately any videos just show some rather pedestrian rolling around, it trickery obviously :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Kellykoeksister » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:06 pm

it trickery obviously :D :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Damn right! :lol: :lol:
Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Postby JimBin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am

Welcome Kellykoeksister!
And I fully agree with videos appearing slow. You'd think the technology would have improved by now!
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby brim23 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi Kelly i think that was me you met at Sol Joel

here's a clip of me on the little quarter, ring any bells?

Good sesh this morning, pity about the rain it was a nice little crowd.

It's my sons birthday party tomorrow so cant make it then but will be going as much as possible on dry weekend mornings from now until the weather sets in. Hopefully we should get a few more skateable weekends before it gets permanently wet

We started a Sol Joel thread on here a while back but it went a bit dead after some people moved away from the area. Now there seem to be a few middle agers around itd be good to see some new activity
http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33117&p=527191#p517821

Hopefully see you soon
Brian
brim23
I got new wheels

Postby Old time sk8er » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi Kelly,

Welcome
Old time sk8er
smell of grip tape

Postby Kellykoeksister » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:06 pm

brim23 wrote:Hi Kelly i think that was me you met at Sol Joel

here's a clip of me on the little quarter, ring any bells?

Good sesh this morning, pity about the rain it was a nice little crowd.

It's my sons birthday party tomorrow so cant make it then but will be going as much as possible on dry weekend mornings from now until the weather sets in. Hopefully we should get a few more skateable weekends before it gets permanently wet

We started a Sol Joel thread on here a while back but it went a bit dead after some people moved away from the area. Now there seem to be a few middle agers around itd be good to see some new activity
http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33117&p=527191#p517821

Hopefully see you soon
Brian

Hey Brian,

Yes, you were that person/legend who introduced me to the wonderful world of MAS!! Great clip!! Can’t wait to be shredding half as good as that ;-)

Yeah it was a good crowd this morning - damn rain! I’m aiming for Old Man’s Nite at BaySixty6 and hopefully OWP on Sunday (please don’t rain)! I’m also going to try find out from another Reading skater friend when he’s at Sol Joel in the evenings with his floodlights for an evening session if possible. Will keep you posted!

Will also try help resurrect the Sol Joel MASsive thread :-)

Hopefully see you soon and am pre-warning you that I’ll be hounding you for coaching tips 8) ..-
Kel :-)
Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Kellykoeksister » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:09 pm

Old time sk8er wrote:Hi Kelly,

Welcome

Thanks! Feel like I’ve hit the jackpot with this group! I see you’re from Bracknell - where abouts do you skate? ..-
Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Old time sk8er » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 am

Hi Kelly,

I was the other person you met at Sol Joel with Brian.

By the way Brian and I both have floodlights for evening skating (now I’ve persuaded him to get one!)
You are welcome to join us some time.

Definitely check out Rush skatepark- Silver Surfers (last Friday of each month) as I mentioned.

See you again soon.

Graham.
Old time sk8er
smell of grip tape

Postby Kellykoeksister » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 pm

Old time sk8er wrote:Hi Kelly,

I was the other person you met at Sol Joel with Brian.

By the way Brian and I both have floodlights for evening skating (now I’ve persuaded him to get one!)
You are welcome to join us some time.

Definitely check out Rush skatepark- Silver Surfers (last Friday of each month) as I mentioned.

See you again soon.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

I did wonder after I replied if this was you but I wasn’t sure! It was good to meet you and I would definitely like to take you up on the offer of some floodlit evening skating sometime!
I will definitely check Rush out - but had planned to check out BaySixty6 as quite an easy train journey. Hoping to be back at Sol Joel for an early skate on Saturday morning and if the weather is good on Sunday then Elliott and I will be off to Oxford Wheels Project for their beginner skate sessions.

Hopefully see you soon!

Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Postby brim23 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi Kelly

I'm probably going to be at bay66 old mans nite on friday - would love to go to silver surfers at rush but i can't leave work til 5.30pm and getting from beaconsfield to stroud at that time on a friday is practically impossible. Much easier to get into London though added to the fact that old mans nite goes on til slightly later than silver surfers so looks like its bay66 for me this month.

See you there if you make it!
B
brim23
I got new wheels

Postby Cara » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi Kelly!

Glad to have you! I've been doing for about 15 months now and it's really quite fun. I have a 3 year old I'm trying to get into it so maybe at 4 I'll have more luck.

I've found this place a helpful resource for lots of things including what changes to a skate set up really matter. From my own experience, I find changing too much too quickly is a recipe for disaster. Even after doing it over a year and being very comfortable on the board, I find changing more than one item at a time stresses me out.

Lots of the guys (including the local middle-agers in my area) preach having multiple set ups for the outdoor part, indoor park, etc. I've tried that a couple of times but usually find that I do better if I get one deck that I'm really comfortable with that works both places. Someone mentioned an 8.5 for street and bowl which is what I really like. Wheels can be switched out a little easier for me, but that's the extent of what works well.

I say all of that because it is INCREDIBLY fun to get and try new things. And it took me a while to figure out how to do in a way that worked for me.

It really is all about personal preference. So none of what I've said is advice, just my experience. I kept wanting to find just the right formula or trying to follow guidelines such as "my feet aren't that big so I should have a smaller board" but have finally realized I love riding an 8.5 and none of those guidelines really matter.

Anyway, welcome! I'm excited to hear about another parent riding with a young one. It's basically my dream. So I'll be looking to you for advice in that area. :D
Cara
smell of grip tape

Postby Old time sk8er » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi K,

Forgot to say, we often skate Longhill on Sat and Sun mornings. Feel free to join us any time. Drop me a PM and I’ll give you my number.

Regards Graham
Old time sk8er
smell of grip tape

Postby Kellykoeksister » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:11 pm

brim23 wrote:Hi Kelly

I'm probably going to be at bay66 old mans nite on friday - would love to go to silver surfers at rush but i can't leave work til 5.30pm and getting from beaconsfield to stroud at that time on a friday is practically impossible. Much easier to get into London though added to the fact that old mans nite goes on til slightly later than silver surfers so looks like its bay66 for me this month.

See you there if you make it!
B

I’m planning on going Friday so all being well should be there :-)
Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Kellykoeksister » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Cara wrote:Hi Kelly!

Anyway, welcome! I'm excited to hear about another parent riding with a young one. It's basically my dream. So I'll be looking to you for advice in that area. :D

HI Cara,

Thanks! I’m loving this group so much already! I posted a couple of videos of my painfully slow attempts at a backside kickturn on Facebook and the support and advice I received was fantastic. Best group ever!

So my son, Elliott, spends more time on his scooter at the park, but it’s still wheels and if he’s gaining confidence and independence then that’s perfect. He sees other people skating and then puts the scooter down and opts for the skateboard. We started with him just standing on his (feet over bolts) and me pushing him around. He is a bit of a show off though so that helps motivate him to learn new things :lol:

I try not to push him into it too much as I want him to choose to do it, but I do often make a deal with him when we go to the skatepark and say he can scoot but at least have a little go on the skateboard too. What really helped was a coached beginner session and a young teen showed him how to push off by himself and now all he wants to do is see his skating friend again to show him how he’s getting on. When Elliott was younger - from about 3 or just before - he used to just sit on the skateboard and we’d push him about. Think that helped him get comfortable with it.

thanks for sharing your personal experience with your deck etc. I am totally seeing that now that I’m skating a bit more, and that it really does come down to personal preference. I do think at some point I will experiment a bit but am very aware of what you mentioned in the fact that any change can really alter the feel and the experience.
Anyway, looking forward to hearing updates and sharing progress stories of our mini-ones ~..

Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Postby JimBin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:14 am

Hi Kelly,
Well done on the kickturns!
Would it be possible to post the footage on this site? I'd love to see but don't do the facebook thing.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Kellykoeksister » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:24 pm

JimBin wrote:Hi Kelly,
Well done on the kickturns!
Would it be possible to post the footage on this site? I'd love to see but don't do the facebook thing.

Thank you :-) Yeah I’d be quite happy to post some videos on here, when I figure out how to do that :lol: :roll: Any advice on uploading videos welcome! :wink:
Thanks
Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Mark_81 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:07 am

The easiest way if you have a smart phone is to get the Tapatalk app - You can then upload images/videos straight from your phone without using a 3rd party hosting site. ..-
Instagram grey_ham_81
Mark_81
I got new wheels

Postby Kellykoeksister » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Mark_81 wrote:The easiest way if you have a smart phone is to get the Tapatalk app - You can then upload images/videos straight from your phone without using a 3rd party hosting site. ..-

Cheers thanks Mark! Downloading now :-)
Kellykoeksister
What mid life crisis ?

Return to Introductions