Frequently Asked Questions (renamed thread)

Newbies can post here

Frequently Asked Questions (renamed thread)

Postby Joolz » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:29 pm

Just thought it might be a good idea to have a sticky post in the Introductions section that gives hints and tips to newbies (everyone asks the same questions)

Thinking of advice on,

Pads (what to buy... what not to buy)
Boards (Try before you buy etc)
Taking it easy (dont go mad... first 3 weeks are dangerous to old gits)
Learn to kneeslide

Pads
====
Pads.... BUY SOME NOW BEFORE YOU GO TO FAR AND HURT YOURSELF!

Try skater owned shops OR ebay

Minimum = kneepads, wrist guards, helmet??

The names in CAPS below are tradenames (i.e BONELESS is the company product name)

Kneepads
-----------
BONELESS (insert web link), SCABS (insert web link), TSG (insert web link), ... £30 - £60

Don't be tempted to use yer old Rectors... they were great in 1984 but things have moved on (Your bones are brittle AND due to exploitation of kids in the far east :wink: modern pads are relatively cheap)

Elbow pads
-------------
(pretty well any will do as you dont tend to crash straight onto your elbows) just don't get those small kids Barbie things

Wristguards
--------------
(They wear out quickly IMO... I go for el cheapo ones £10 - £15 ... even found at crap sports shops .... JJB etc :cry: )

Helmet
--------
PROTEC

Padded shorts
-----------------
BOMBER 661

Shoes
-------
Try TK Maxx.... look for modern skate shoes (£30). Don't be tempted to use Converse or other 'old school' shoes... they don't last and are V-Bad for your old feet......

Boards
=====

Look on the forum and hook up with MASsers..... Try their boards before lashing out any cash.
Most of us have more than one board so you can borrow one all night at the skatepark.
Virtually everyone buys a crap first board, regrets it, then ends up buying something they like later.... DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE.

Take it easy
========

Its easy to get carried away.....

You used to do McTwists etc in 1836 and feel sure you can do em again.

DON'T TRY ------------ YET :wink:

Take yer time..... there is no rush
We have seen LOADS of old gits hurting themselves badly within a couple of weeks of getting back.

Chances are that this is the last period in your life that you will skate... this is the best time ever to be skating (far better than in the late 70s or mid 80's) there is no rush.... its NOT a competition.... DON'T SCREW IT UP by getting injured

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED :evil:

Thats it for now.... I am sure peeps will add/disagree with the advice
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Youth about me - "That guy looks like Bob Burnquist"
Carl - "Yeah but He skates like Bob Burntcrisp"
Joolz
anorak alert

Postby BOOMERDOG » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:00 pm

nice one joolz ,good advice for newbies.... 8)
A.U. team rider for http://www.pavel-skates.com
decent hardware australia - [email protected]
Heelside magazine- http://www.heelsidemag.com
O.G. LSD
BOOMERDOG
Admin

Postby TonyB » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Not Bad Joolz, but you forgot to mention lovely oldschool skatebaords like Bulldog Skates www.Bulldogskates.com(yes by the same artist that did the Dogtown deck you always wanted) :mrgreen:

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby ChrisK » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:49 pm

Padded shorts make your bum look big.
Chris K - a man basking in his own awesomeness but considering basking in his own epicness and now literally a legend.
ChrisK
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby Steve T » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Well as one of those newbies, although I think of myself more as a BASk (born again skateboarder), the advice is good and appreciated. Although the principle of pads is good, common sense it's also good to know that I won't be the only one using them. I have the wrist guards but will now seek out some Boneless pads too I think.
Steve T
nothing better to do

Postby Mr J » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:31 pm

I agree with everything Joolz says!

I vote for Boneless pads but other makes are good too. Really need try them on first or they might not fit right.

good thread here:

pad advice thread

extensive advice on how to wash them here:

dealing with the smell thread
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Steve T » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:53 pm

Mr J wrote:I agree with everything Joolz says!

I vote for Boneless pads but other makes are good too. Really need try them on first or they might not fit right.

good thread here:

pad advice thread
[/url]

Hey Mr J and all.

In that thread matt sefton said "I really think that Scabs are designed to be worn with gaskets". 'scuse ignorance, but can somebody tell me what gaskets are?

Thanks in advance,
Steve T
nothing better to do

Postby fakiestore » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:11 pm

Gaskets are extra padded bits that go underneath the pads....... I think. Kind of like a good underlay on a carpet.
Ex-ginger.
fakiestore
am I a skate geek

re your advice to newbies and easy does it

Postby tallpoet » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:20 pm

ok, so I'm one of those newbies who could do a bit of stuff in the seventies, only problem being that my first two outings at 41 were a dream - fluid, all coming back - oh the sound of that first grind - but take it from me as I bent my foot right back, crunched my knee trying to rock to fakie at Ramparts yesterday - and now today very very bad ankle - injury is no fun - so next time I'll take all y'all's advice - it's a not a competition and I'm not Sean Goff ...and this was my third skate since the seventies...ho hum.

talllpoet {with the biggest ankle this side of the midlands!}
both my ankles are a little bit less fucked
tallpoet
I skateboard

Postby Mr J » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:19 am

more pad advice:
pad thread on Rick's backup server

advice on helmets:
which lid thread
brain bucket debate thread

more than you ever want to know about bearings:
bearing thread

mental health section:
comfort zone skate psychiatry thread
goldfish skate psychology thread

truck tuning:
rubber advice thread

-->edit
I'll stick more links in here when I encounter them
Last edited by Mr J on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Re: Advice for the young at heart

Postby Trevenen » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:50 am

Joolz wrote:Just thought it might be a good idea to have a sticky post in the Introductions section that gives hints and tips to newbies (everyone asks the same questions)

I agree, good idea Joolz. I've stickied it for now. If it's ok with you I may edit the title a bit later? Links to other advice threads are good too thanks Mr. J. ;)
Any other obvious questions that people think need a 'newbies guide'?
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Postby fakiestore » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:54 am

How about a basic trick progression / tips list?

Start off with pumping and the art of going back and forth, then kick-turning, then simple (!) coping tricks etc.... not exhaustive, just enough to get folk comfortable with the first few months back and what they can be aiming towards perhaps?

Something like:

Pumping
Carving frontside
Carving backside
Kick turning
Dropping in
Rock fakie
Fakie rock
Tail stall
Axle stall
Rock n roll
etc
etc

I know when I first started rolling round a ramp again I could barely remember the names of tricks, let alone how to do them... might stop folk going for more than they can handle in the first couple of months - kind of a newbie skate plan......

Or do I sound like a wanker?
Ex-ginger.
fakiestore
am I a skate geek

Postby Steve T » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:01 pm

fakiestore wrote:How about a basic trick progression / tips list?

Something like:

Pumping
Carving frontside
Carving backside
Kick turning
Dropping in
Rock fakie
Fakie rock
Tail stall
Axle stall
Rock n roll
etc
etc

Or do I sound like a wanker?

You don't sound like a wanker, makes sense to me Fakiestore. My only question is where the Ollie fits in the progression. Do I need to learn all of those tricks you listed before trying to Ollie, which was actually the first thing I tried to do with my new board when I started skating again.

And I still feel nowhere near to doing it. :roll:
Steve T
nothing better to do

Postby wayne-ur » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Steve T wrote: Do I need to learn all of those tricks you listed before trying to Ollie, which was actually the first thing I tried to do with my new board when I started skating again.

no
do what you want
wayne-ur
SHOOT ME!

Postby ChrisK » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:44 pm

I think rock fakie's too early in the list, at least for me it is. :evil:
Chris K - a man basking in his own awesomeness but considering basking in his own epicness and now literally a legend.
ChrisK

Postby Joolz » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:17 pm

Re Gaskets

I just recently bought some 'propper' skate ones.

Prior to this I was using knee supports from Argos

This sort of thing,

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... Terms=knee

Bottom line is the Argos ones are way better than the skate ones IMO.

However I now use Argos followed by Skate Gaskets then topped of with Boneless........ I'm taking no friggin chances :lol:

Joolz
anorak alert

Postby burt cokain » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:11 pm

Good idea for this thread Joolz. A sticky advice section would be good.

I can't help thinking some of the advice may be a little 'outdated' and aimed too much at the late 30's/40's skater. A lot of people on here do fall into this category, but obviously not all. We don't want to put people off by appearing too old school.

Coming up now are a generation of skaters in their late 20's and 30's who grew up skating more street (I notice the 90's didn't get a mention). A lot of them won't want to or particuarly need to wear pads. Skaters who have never worn pads will bail in a totally different way to a transition/vert skater and usually don't suffer significant injury. A 'minimum' level of padding is none at all which many are quite happy with. With lot of injuries that happen, breaks especially, padding would have been no help whatsoever.

Not everyone needs or wants to wear a helmet or especially padded shorts. I've never owned either and probably never will. I don't skate vert at all and concrete rarely.

Otherwise, good stuff.

We should have some board/wheel/truck selection advice too. I might write that.
burt cokain

Postby Mr J » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:47 pm

thats a thought Burt, the advice so far is ramp biased. However I think the skater who is say skilled at the runout due to skating thru the 90s already knows what to do. But maybe we need a newbie street thread for those people such as myself who are struggling with basic street skills due to never learning them in the first place?
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Trevenen » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:22 pm

What they've done on OMA is to sticky the main discussion threads on decks, trucks, wheels, bearings, pads etc. So that people can read the whole thread and make their mind up after having read many peoples opinions and/or add thier own, of course). This is by far the best and most balanced approach IMO. ;)

Yes I know it means that say, the wheel thread is 5 or 6 pages long, but if the admins aren't adverse to pruning out some irrelevant stuff it can be useful. The alternative is to have one or two people's opinion in a section, not IMO the best way to go. We are a collective and what is so great is that there are 20 different opinions on if green wheels are faster or not, or whether 8mm axles are worth it. :lol:
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Postby fakiestore » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:30 pm

Ok, so for the trick tips the intent was more for a list of the "basic" tricks and how to do them - no particular order intended, of course some poeple are going to do what they want, but just thought it might be useful to some who have never stepped on a board before, of which there are several at least in the last few months who are public on the forum.... prob countless numbers lurking too.

Take the point on the ramp bias - actuallt, someone posted up an awesome site which had a little computer generated character and loads of little vid clips of tricks, ramp and street, that you could slow down to see how to do the trick.... I have it on my other laptop, I'll see if I can find it... *rummage* here we go - http://www.dxinteractive.com/skatetricks/ That oughta do the trick, maybe make that a sticky url...
Ex-ginger.
fakiestore
am I a skate geek

Postby matt_sefton » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:45 pm

I'm sorry for being a twat (I'm not sorry really, but wtf), but I have to say that I thought 'Frequently Asked Questions' sections were supposed to be full of FACTS not conjecture and opinion?

I have several problms with the things Joolz has written. Some examples:

Pads
====
Pads.... BUY SOME NOW BEFORE YOU GO TO FAR AND HURT YOURSELF!

That's individual choice. Wear pads if you want, don't if you don't want. It's not a requirement.

Minimum = kneepads, wrist guards, helmet??

No, minimum = no protection, like 95% of skaters worldwide.

Kneepads
-----------
BONELESS (insert web link), SCABS (insert web link), TSG (insert web link), ... £30 - £60

187, Protec, Pro-Designed, Paincheaters, etc, etc, etc.

Don't be tempted to use yer old Rectors... they were great in 1984 but things have moved on

Sorry, but I have 2 close friends who both wear Rector Fatboys and Rector Riot gloves every time they skate. They slam a lot and have never had a problem.

Elbow pads
-------------
(pretty well any will do as you dont tend to crash straight onto your elbows)

Pretty well any WON'T do. There are good elbow pads and bad elbow pads, just the same as kneepads.

Wristguards
--------------
(They wear out quickly IMO... I go for el cheapo ones £10 - £15 ... even found at crap sports shops .... JJB etc Crying or Very sad )

See Elbow Pads above. Buy el cheapo ones if you like - I'll come and laugh at you in hospital.

Helmet
--------
PROTEC

TSG, Smith, Capix, Bell, etc, etc.

Padded shorts
-----------------
BOMBER 661

Again, makes it seem like these are an essential item. They're not. They're very uncomfortable.

Shoes
-------
Try TK Maxx.... look for modern skate shoes (£30). Don't be tempted to use Converse or other 'old school' shoes... they don't last and are V-Bad for your old feet......

Probably the most 'quite frankly bollocks' statement in here and PURE opinion. Again, plenty of people I know skate in converse. I skate in Vans, as do a hell of a lot of people on this site, with the same waffle sole and no padding that were invented in the 60's.

I know you were only trying to be helpful Joolz, but like Burt said, I think a hell of a lot of this comes across as very "old" and to be honest, a bit off-putting to some, laughable to others.

There's nothing wrong with a factual guide about where to get this stuff but can we PLEASE avoid statements like "don't get these, they're crap".

I think Wayne's post summed it up best - "Do what you want".
matt_sefton
I need a LIFE!

Postby wayne-ur » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:57 pm

Pads.... DON'T BOTHER WITH THEM FOR A WHILE, TO STOP YOU FROM BEING TEMPTED TO GO TO FAR AND HURT YOURSELF!

I'm serious, nothin like a full set of pads to make yourself feel invincible, but pads won't save you from a broken ankle. Learning to walk before you run might, the odd bruise and graze keeps you honest.

Helmets....Make your head sweaty (as do flatcaps) useful if you are a slaphead.

most people don't seem to bang their heads, exceptions being Trevennen (occasionaly) and Hoodie (usually :lol: :wink: )

Padded Shorts...ghay, take the pain.

Boards...Ride the same as me or else you are a kook.

Shoes...what's this? Trinny and fuckin Susanna? like I care :roll:

This is the internet and this is my own opinion. Other opinions will vary quite rightly so. But, of course, are wrong :wink:
wayne-ur
SHOOT ME!

Postby Overseer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

wayne-ur wrote:This is the internet and this is my own opinion. Other opinions will vary quite rightly so. But, of course, are wrong :wink:

nar :P

i'm down for helmet thing now... i got my own pads right after i fell down a ramp backwards and banged my head and elbow using "park pads". also useful to get your own if you dont like putting on sweaty pads that some unwashed kid has worn if you are skating a park that enforces "total protection" like i have to a lot of the time.. lol..

i'm also guilty of dropping in on a ramp way too big for myself, and way too soon after starting skating again.. without any pads or helmet.. on my own (I never skate alone).. 15 miles from home.. very lucky.. (about 4 years ago.. think i was 27 at the time)

as for the progression ideas list.. sounds good.. split it street/transition ?

also explain frontside/backside on ramps (easier) on street obstacles (more confusing to many)?
Last edited by Overseer on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Overseer
SHOOT ME!

Postby Mr J » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:24 pm

this is an advice as well as information thread so of course we are going to have a variety of opinions. On safety gear here are mine:

as Matt said the trend is not to wear pads but 95% of skaters are not middle aged. What we are doing is extra challenging and a different approach can help.

My opinion is that pads will remove a substantial amount of pain from skating and I guarantee there will be no shortage of that sensation, with or without pads!

In one of my local parks in Northern California if I go during the day I'll expect to be almost the only person with pads (ie. the park where pads aren't enforced, my other local is supervised and won't let anyone skate without them). If however I go for the morning "middle aged sesh", most of the skaters will be wearing pads, and some of these middle aged guys are shit-hot too. Do what you want, but don't give in to "peer" pressure to try and look like everyone else. I used the word "peer" in inverted commas coz thats not an entirely appropriate term for comparing myself with skate comrades half my age or less!

Personally I choose to skate with helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, palm skids (boneless brand - not wrist guards) and modern low top padded skate shoes.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Overseer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:28 pm

Mr J wrote: palm guards (not wrist guards)

i sometimes wear what we affectionately call "tramp gloves" (fingerless gloves) street skating.. 1) if its cold.. and 2) i'm somewhere where the ground is a bit rough.. i do have stuff embedded under my palm skin from slamming on street :)
Overseer
SHOOT ME!

Postby Woody » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:40 pm

Trevenen wrote: but if the admins aren't adverse to pruning out some irrelevant stuff it can be useful.

And that would lead us in to the "Big Brother" watching and deleting my post debts again :)
MAS, run by skateboarders for skateboarders and paid for by skateboarders.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby Overseer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:00 pm

i've another point i just realised... a continuation perhapos of the "take it easy" rule..

personal fitness

unless you've been working out and active in other areas.. you arent as flexible as you were.. and even with other exercise.. skating uses muscles you might not use otherwise so aches and pains are likely at first.

do proper warm ups.. or at least take it easier at the start of a session (which is my preference) i'll take it chill for the first hour or so to get myself loosened up and "in gear" :)
Overseer
SHOOT ME!

Postby fakiestore » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:51 pm

Perfectly valid points from Matt and Wayne on opinion etc BUT.....

What Joolz has put in his first post is almost word for word what lots of MASsers will religiously put in their welcoming posts to newbies when they first post on here..... friendly advice to reduce the pain of the obvious bumps and falls....
Ex-ginger.
fakiestore
am I a skate geek

Postby Trevenen » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:15 am

By frequently asked questions, I was thinking questions that are asked on the forum, basically the opinions of everyone here, on the noob subjects (preparation, protection, progression, as I have just coined 'em ;)). Not questions that have an obvious factual answer. Subjective stuff, qualitative not quantitative? :? Like what we have here so far, both sides of the argument, sometimes all 3! :lol:

edit - maybe it should be called that? I like it.

For the MAS noobie: Your advice from the regulars on preparation, protection and progression.
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Postby Joolz » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:40 am

fakiestore wrote:Perfectly valid points from Matt and Wayne on opinion etc BUT.....

What Joolz has put in his first post is almost word for word what lots of MASsers will religiously put in their welcoming posts to newbies when they first post on here..... friendly advice to reduce the pain of the obvious bumps and falls....

Thanks for that

They were just a few off the top of my head thoughts. They were certainly aimed at 'old gits' like myself who skated in the 70's 80's. I take the point about younger guys probably not wanting to wear any pads.

To be honest though I didn't expect every friggin comment to be poured over in minute detail and ridiculed

Thanks a bunch Matt

Joolz
anorak alert

Postby Steve T » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:54 am

Joolz wrote: I take the point about younger guys probably not wanting to wear any pads.

Your points were taken in the spirit that they were intended here Joolz. A bit of padding may not be cool, but it pays to look after yourself. I certainly picked up enough bumps and bruises on Sunday to know that pads are worth a try. But it's the way of the world I suppose. When I was a teenager an injury like a broken bone didn't really cause me much problem. Nowadays it could compromise my ability to feed my family, so I owe it to them to be a bit careful.

Seems like the "to pad or not to pad" is as divisive as the helmet debate on cycling forums. :lol:

Equally there was no way I would wear ear plugs to gigs as a youth and young man, but today a litle bit of me wishes that I had. :(
Steve T
nothing better to do

Postby Tony G » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:53 pm

well after reading all that I'm worn out... guess a newbie reading it for the first time will have some idea about how to go on. :roll:

me thinks tho.....

a sk8r from a different decade/street style etc etc, who probably won't want to wear pads, or someone who doesn't want to wear a helmet for instance.

won't be asking any questions anyway... will he? :wink:

I think that the idea of a sticky post listing some basic advice (like if your going to indoor parks a helmet might be required so get one anyway ! )/ & what to look for in "good gear to get" on frequently asked questions by newbies is a SOLID good idea..... :shock: BUT should be LOCKED & not followed up by a long list of posts bickering about opinions.. let admins make any alterations...... to a structured list :wink: start it off then refine it as it goes...
There aint half been some clever bastards.
Tony G
nothing better to do

Postby wayne-ur » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:35 pm

Why don't we just let them say hi and then answer any questions in our usual opinionated manner. Newbie will eventually find an opinion he agrees with and go with that. Besides, most newbies lurk a bit before postin so will probably get the general idea of the place.
It's the internet, it's all personal opinion, er, IMHO.
Differing opinion starts debate, and challenges views. People might actually learn something from reading an alternate viewpoint and may even change their own opinion because of it. I think its called an arguement. Isn't a Forum the name of the place the Romans used to debate and argue?
Keep the argueing I say, or watch the place turn into one of the "oh yea, me too..." post building mutal wank fests we've all seen evidence of on the 'net.
IMHO
wayne-ur
SHOOT ME!

Postby Mr J » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:58 pm

Steve T wrote:....
Seems like the "to pad or not to pad" is as divisive as the helmet debate on cycling forums. :lol:

hi Steve, its not an equal divide of opinion though, if you wade thru the many welcome posts in this introduction section of the forum you will see that the advice is overwhelmingly in favour of wearing safety gear
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Steve T » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:16 pm

Mr J wrote:

hi Steve, its not an equal divide of opinion though, if you wade thru the many welcome posts in this introduction section of the forum you will see that the advice is overwhelmingly in favour of wearing safety gear

Agreed, although I don't think that the split over bike helmet wearing is split evenly either. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that the majority choose to wear a helmet but are against compulsion. It's an interesting side issue though. If the UK government makes it a legal requirement to wear a lid when cycling, how soon before they decide to "come after" skateboarding on the same basis?
Steve T
nothing better to do

Postby Mr J » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:27 pm

I think Joolz's first post on this thread is an excellent starting point for newbies. Whatever form this thread takes (admin pruned or not) as a suggestion how about we continue specific equipment advice on one of the threads I've provided links to at the start of this thread, if a suitable thread exists, otherwise post here.

I've just added the following debate on whether to wear helmets or not to the list of links I posted, under the helmet section. I think I'll post my opinion later!

http://middle-age-shred.com/phpBB2_v2/viewtopic.php?t=9064

---> edit
hello again Steve, honestly this post above wasn't meant to be a reply to your last one! just coincidentally i was searching for the link and composing this one as you were posting. Having said that, lets go and jump into the fray there anyway ;)
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby street_urchin » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:58 am

Steve T wrote:
Mr J wrote:

Agreed, although I don't think that the split over bike helmet wearing is split evenly either. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that the majority choose to wear a helmet but are against compulsion. It's an interesting side issue though. If the UK government makes it a legal requirement to wear a lid when cycling, how soon before they decide to "come after" skateboarding on the same basis?

Well skateboards don't really contribute to road death statistics so they probably aren't particularly arsed although I wouldn't be at all surpised if they just made the wearing of helmets mandatory at all times for everybody, y'know just in case.
cakes and snouts
street_urchin
Admin

Postby Steve T » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:09 am

street_urchin wrote:
Steve T wrote:
Mr J wrote:

Well skateboards don't really contribute to road death statistics so they probably aren't particularly arsed although I wouldn't be at all surpised if they just made the wearing of helmets mandatory at all times for everybody, y'know just in case.

True on both counts. This is, after all, the government that banned T Bone steak. :evil:
Steve T
nothing better to do

Postby matt_sefton » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:27 am

Joolz wrote:They were just a few off the top of my head thoughts.

...that just happened to read like definitive statements.

Joolz wrote:Thanks a bunch Matt

My pleasure.
matt_sefton
I need a LIFE!

Postby BOOMERDOG » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:27 am

oz legend wedge francis,mild concussion in the pool at frankston in melbourne ........helmet?.....broken....head leaking....

make your own mind up.... :roll:
O.G. LSD
BOOMERDOG
Admin

Postby Chilli » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:39 am

Of course it is everyones own personal decision to wear safety protection or not as the case may be.

However -
coupled with the horrendous head injuries I have seen in my line of work that have occurred during sporting activities where helmet wearing was an option.

My own personal experience of a helmet saving my noggin whilst out mountain biking - the helmet split in half and I was still knocked out but it would have been far worse if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.

Skating in Cornwall this summer and a young skater telling us all about how he always wears a helmet now because his friend died through serious head injury from skating.

Boomers picture illustrates that whilst a helmet may not offer ultimate protection it can help lessen the impact and the seriousness of the injuries.

Overall I think that wearing protection is a good idea but it is all down to personal preference. It doesn't make me feel invincible and I certainly don't feel it is a guarantee that I won't get hurt in some way so I can risk things a bit more ( I still think I'm gonna die!) it just offers me a higher level of protection than my bare skin and bones.

Let's not start slating anyone for wearing pads/ helmets or advising other people to.

As for young people....they already think they are invincibel - wish I could have some of that back!!
Arnica makes everything better.
Chilli
Geek

Postby BOOMERDOG » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:17 pm

there you go ... :wink: moss [melbourne old school]

http://www.wpsvideo.com.au/Skate/avi/reginald_hit.wmv
O.G. LSD
BOOMERDOG
Admin

Postby burt cokain » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:26 pm

Chilli wrote:
Let's not start slating anyone for wearing pads/ helmets or advising other people to.

No slating here. As for helmets, it depends what you're doing. Obviously anything that involves lots of speed (EG vert) and/or concrete. The risks of serious head injury are far greater than skating a small wooden mini.

You could still get a head injury on a mini, but you could also get run over by a bus tomorrow.
burt cokain

Postby Chilli » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:57 pm

burt cokain wrote:
You could still get a head injury on a mini, but you could also get run over by a bus tomorrow.

That's very true....I know my job makes me over cautious......but strangely more worried about head injury on a mini than the runover by a bus option.... :?
Arnica makes everything better.
Chilli
Geek

Postby street_urchin » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:31 pm

It's all personal choice, if anyone was really bothered then the safest option would be to not skate at all. I think the main point though is that we are all grown up enough to make up our own minds as to what safety gear is appropriate which might explain why people tend to encounter some hostility when they go around telling others why they should be wearing a helmet.
cakes and snouts
street_urchin
Admin

Postby Ian C » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Good argument for wearing a helmet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk-okQvv ... ed&search=
Stonehenge is the only clock you can see from space ..unless you have a clock in your spaceship
Ian C
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby RussH » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:32 pm

Good points posted all round, But, dare I say it shouldn't we at our age know better, be safe than sorry. I know at 48 I have all the padding I can, Harbinger pads, bullet shorts, bell helmet, vision shoes (thanks Sean/toddtwist)
Took a slam years ago at martello skatepark at Walton-on-naze if anybody remembers it, no helmet, it hurt, also got some pics of me on the tiles at the Rom, no helmet, BUT I was young, free, no responsibilities. Now it's different. When I push off I'm 19, when I slam I'm 48 and boy am I glad Mr padding is there.
My personel choice is pad up.
On a different note, I twisted my knee a while back, and to help it along I used the adjusable neoprene support from Argos, worked great, took about a month (age you know), anyway since then I allways wear the pull on tube supports as I think keeping the joint warm means less risk to injury, plus it keeps the pads a bit cleaner.

P.S. can anyone help with frontside KT's
So many boards, so little time.
RussH
I skateboard

Postby Trevenen » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:31 pm

RussH wrote:P.S. can anyone help with frontside KT's

Look over your shoulder to where you want to go, before you reach the point at which you need to turn. Also point there (literally point with your finger to start with) so your shoulder leads. ;)
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Postby Mark Evans_H » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:54 am

I saw a set of rector hip pads in a local shop that sold snowboards. Had me drooling. They cost around 38-45 quid I reckon. Is that good? Or do I wait until summer?

And where in Cornwall do you lot actually get your stuff? <-- *stuff* has nothing to do with anything illegal. ;)
"Whatever you do, stay out of Camberwick Green!"
Mark Evans_H
am I a skate geek

Postby Trevenen » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:44 pm

I get my stuff.... decks from OMA direct or from Kev at Apollo 11 (distributors) various other bits from SOSs like Apollo 11, SJs in Truro, The shop at the skatepark at Hayle. (If you can persuade Ozzy to stop skating long enough to sell you something!) We have our sources. ;)
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:26 pm

BOOMERDOG wrote:oz legend wedge francis,mild concussion in the pool at frankston in melbourne ........helmet?.....broken....head leaking....

make your own mind up.... :roll:

Andy Huggins had a similar experiance at uplands new(ish) fullpipe...he was wearing a lid..if he hadn't been .....

personally I hate wearin em but I'm gonna start wearing one on the crete stuff, If I know im in danger of falling I can ussually get to my pads but it's when you don't that you slam the hardest

Took this from OMA
you know he wasn't expecting this to happen :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/v/VaJvebjA8N8
And the lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Andy
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Drive-By » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:19 am

Great thread and very useful advice taken seriously by this noob. Thanks guys.
Drive-By
SHOOT ME!

Postby Trevenen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Glad someone got some useful stuff out of it.
2 year old thread back from the dead?
I guess at this point it's mostly reference stuff.
Now that it's been bumped, feel free to edit your opinions based on recent experience folks. ;)
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Re: Frequently Asked Questions (renamed thread)

Postby Brano-bukowski » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 am

Just want to say thanks for all the tips. I was a street skater in the early 90's and never wore pads ever. I think if I was to attempt pipes or bowls, i'd probably look more like the guy from 'The Hurtlocker' than anything else. I guess I was always too fearful for the madness of that incline. Also, in those days, you had to pay to go anywhere that had those kind of facilities (at least where I grew up) so we made use of the benches, bustops, concrete steps and shopping trollies lol. I used all kinds of crap to skate with. Whatever i could get my hands on. My first was a plank of wood with roller boot trucks.(just like Back to the future lol) That was after playing on my mates old retro plastic tiny board. I then managed to swop some action force figures (hahahah) for a powell peralta before my mam gave me cash for a Blind board that was a bargain off a 'friend' but i found out the hard way that the holes had been misdrilled out of line!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all the input to this welcome page. It's all advice and not taken as fact, just opinion so don't worry. I never wore pads etc. but that was just because I couldn't afford them. That's obviously not the case now.

Back in the day, I couldn't afford (you spotting a theme here lol) converse etc so I just wore whatever trainers I had... I tried with converse but I found that they stick to the deck like glue! Was mental so I think I am just gonna use an old pair of adidas lol. I think that, as a kid I got used to not being stuck to the deck like that. Anyone else found that? Maybe it's just me. lol.

Thanks though to everyone for all your advice!
Cheers,
Brandon.
Wigan (soon to be Worthing/Brighton)
''What matters most is how well you walk through the fire'' King Buk
Brano-bukowski
I skateboard

Re: gaskets

Postby mintfox » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:05 am

Joolz wrote:Re Gaskets

I just recently bought some 'propper' skate ones.

Prior to this I was using knee supports from Argos

This sort of thing,

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... Terms=knee

Bottom line is the Argos ones are way better than the skate ones IMO.

However I now use Argos followed by Skate Gaskets then topped of with Boneless........ I'm taking no friggin chances :lol:

ive had to line a wrist guard with mouse mat rubber to make it work for me,i think protect the bits that hurt most first, and get the biggest fattest pads ,oofff! is better than ouch! :D
bigger pads
mintfox
skate skate skate

Re: gaskets

Postby Brano-bukowski » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:16 pm

mintfox wrote:ive had to line a wrist guard with mouse mat rubber to make it work for me,i think protect the bits that hurt most first, and get the biggest fattest pads ,oofff! is better than ouch! :D

Hahaha Nice one¬ Ooof is better than ouch! Love that!
''What matters most is how well you walk through the fire'' King Buk
Brano-bukowski
I skateboard

Postby ChrisK » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:10 pm

The Big Bang. What happened just before it?
ChrisK

Postby greywolf » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:36 pm

The big pause ?
greywolf

Postby Carl Arnfield » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:40 am

^^^ "which button is it again" said god
dont live by other peoples limitations

Carl Arnfield
I'll Take Down Youtube

Postby Andy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:41 pm

or the big collapse :) ...here we go again.
And the lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Andy
monuMENTAL GEEK

Next

Return to Introductions