Female Skaters

Post your skate photos here.

Female Skaters

Postby warwick » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:10 am

This is a new thread for images and videos showing cool female skaters. It's the new home for this sort of thing:

As opposed to this sort of thing, which belongs in the existing Skate Betties thread:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Re: Female Skaters

Postby Unciano » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Not a mall grab in sight :D The one in the middle looks like she's gonna bust out something nonchalant. 360 no-comply by the looks of it.
Unciano
nothing better to do

Female Skaters

Postby warwick » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Actually she does bust out something. The full sequence shows a rather embarrassing 'wardrobe malfunction' a couple of moments later. But I didn't put that one in the thread because of all the disagreement about sexism versus censorship on the Skate Betties thread

However, if you're interested you can find it on the Ride Channel at http://theridechannel.com/news/2015/09/ ... own-runway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:49 am

I like looking at Jade Ryan and Sky from AWSM with my daughter. She thinks they are rad. Jade does some creative whacky stuff like Lance Mountain used to but often very technical. I'd like to try some of it at some point
Current pipe setup: Welcome Sloth Hammer Head Deck, Spitfire Formula 4 58mm 99a, Hollow Indi trucks, soft bones bushins, Redz bearings
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:14 am

Taylor back tail
Damn hard to find any pics online. I'll post a vid(in the correct thread).
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:10 pm

Plan9Customs wrote:Taylor back tail

Who's that? Looking forward to the vid
Current pipe setup: Welcome Sloth Hammer Head Deck, Spitfire Formula 4 58mm 99a, Hollow Indi trucks, soft bones bushins, Redz bearings
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby warwick » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Skate Betties' Road Trip!

After getting involved in a domestic dispute with some Social Justice Warriors, the Skate Betties have been temporarily locked out of their home thread. So they've decided to take a road trip. They've come to visit their cooler, radder sisters over here on the Female Skaters thread. How long will they stay? Who knows! But they're hoping to leave this thread soon, once they can get back into their own one

warwick
I need a LIFE!

Female Skaters

Postby warwick » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Oh, Hi Farrah! You want to join us here too? Come on in!

warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby duck » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Ahh, didn't think I'd see the term "SJW" being used on this site, but I work in the games industry which is where that phrase comes from, so I'm very much aware of the unpleasant history and sentiment behind it. Are you by any chance a fan of 4chan warwick? Wouldn't surprise me :D

For those who don't know (and who care about finding out) see Gamergate Controversy, in particular the section "Further Harassment". That's the term Warwick's using here to describe people who think women should be treated with respect. Funnily enough not a phrase plucked out of thin air.

However, that first "skate betty" picture warwick posted appears to be Patti McGee, the 1965 Woman's first National Skateboard Champion. In 2010, she was inducted into the IASC Skateboarding Hall of Fame (the first woman). So my guess is that she wouldn't be too pleased about being referred to as a "Skate Betty" alongside Farrah Fawcett.

So, to compensate for Warwick's continued unfortunate sentiments, here's another picture of Patti, this time on the front cover of Life Magazine, May 1965. She was shredding when (I'm guessing) you were still in nappies.

Last edited by duck on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:02 pm

warwick wrote:Skate Betties' Road Trip!

After getting involved in a domestic dispute with some Social Justice Warriors, the Skate Betties have been temporarily locked out of their home thread. So they've decided to take a road trip. They've come to visit their cooler, radder sisters over here on the Female Skaters thread. How long will they stay? Who knows! But they're hoping to leave this thread soon, once they can get back into their own one

Wow, how very childish indeed :shock: !
You're now blatantly intending to provoke people ... very sad mate, pathetic even!
Goose
I like skateboarding

Postby duck » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Here's another video showing some brand new young female skaters - it's an event I helped organised last month in Midsomer Norton (although it was in a slightly sloped car park next to the skate park, rather than the skate park itself). It was set up to encourage parents and their kids to try skateboarding together. We had loads of people come along with a good mix of boys and girls (almost 50:50, much better than you tend to see in the skatepark itself), and although not many parents actually joined in the skating which was part of the plan, all the kids joined in and loved it. Speaking to the parents afterwards, a lot of them said their kids hadn't tried skating before and now want one instead of their scooter!

I also made a display which was on a table for people to read at the event, which showed a history of skateboarding through the decades, and Patti McGee was in the 60's section, which is why I recognised her above.

Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby warwick » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:53 pm

Avril Lavigne with Hello Kitty skateboard

warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Plan9Customs » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:25 am

Jimmycakes401 wrote:

Taylor Beatty.
I've been putting them here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34612&p=514868#p514868
They'll be popping up on Fridays when I get a chance(Feminista Friday since I'm oh so hip :@~ ).
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby mr_sooty » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:45 pm

Sky: It's pretty humiliating when you've been skating nearly 30 years and some 7 year old girl kicks your arse. Kinda shows how much of a head game skating is. Kids see what can be done and just do it. No fear.

And when is Birdhouse going to give Lizzie a pro model? Seriously, what does she have to do?
mr_sooty
I like skateboarding

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:56 am

Plan9Customs wrote:
Jimmycakes401 wrote:

Taylor Beatty.
I've been putting them here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34612&p=514868#p514868
They'll be popping up on Fridays when I get a chance(Feminista Friday since I'm oh so hip :@~ ).

Oh man. Just watched the first vid. Going to make a play list and binge watch with my daughter. Rad. Thanks
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby warwick » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:03 pm

While the Skate Betties thread is down we don't have a home for pictures like this. I may start a new threadImage

warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Ben » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Slow night W?

Keel fish and a cruiser.Good choice. :lol:
tip toeing through the tulips

http://lyricalwaxing.wordpress.com/
Ben
I need a LIFE!

Postby warwick » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:34 pm

Yeah, someone put that on Facebook, and it just seemed to me the most 'Skate Betty' of all Skate Betty photos. I mean, what exactly is she doing? Where's she going with that surfboard? What's going on there?

warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Beigebomber » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:02 am

warwick wrote: what exactly is she doing? Where's she going with that surfboard? What's going on there?

She's going to the beach. For a surf. That's why she has a surfboard under her arm and is in her swimming gear.
Spend a couple of weeks in Hossegor during the summer and you'll see this sort of thing every day. Girls on longboards in bikinis, girls on bikes in bikinis, girls surfing in bikinis, etc.

It's summer. It's hot. It's a generation of young women who didn't have the misfortune to grow up in a country where wearing apparel approriate to the weather and activity brands them as sluts or racy or attention-seeking.

That shot may well be from a photoshoot for sponsorship or promotional reasons, but whether it is or not, it's just a reflection of beach culture in countries where women just get on with their lives regardless of drooling old men like us.

It's just bodies. Men walk around in the summer just wearing shorts. Women walk around just wearing bikinis. It wouldn't work in an office or at a funeral, but it's the appropriate apparel for the situation. Doesn't mean anything more than that.

Anyway, this thread's been going well so far. I have a ten year old daughter who skates, and I'd really like to be able to show her inspiring pictures of other girls and women who skate. It'd be nice if we can keep this thread inspiring, and not let it become just another place where she will see women playing to the male gaze and men reacting in a pathetic way. Can we manage that?
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Beigebomber » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:30 am

Oh, and while we're at it. Let's not turn this thread into a big bore-fest where we all spend hours telling each other how we're supposed to think about women and why we're all WRONG. We have a tendency to do that, and I'm as bad as anyone else.
Let's just keep the pics and vids coming.

Here's my girl:Image
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby digger » Thu May 04, 2017 9:17 pm

my contribution
digger
What mid life crisis ?

Postby reckless toboggan » Fri May 05, 2017 5:14 am

digger wrote:my contribution

Great shot. Looks like a ripping skater.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby 606 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 pm

A couple of recent things from Instagram.

Mirei with a lean rail flip - https://www.instagram.com/p/BcKFxhJBVVL/?taken-by=mireisk8

Jordyn Barratt skating a bowl barefoot - https://www.instagram.com/p/BcGxk_TFvCB/?taken-by=jordynbarratt
I got new wheels

Postby Kamaki » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:03 am

Are there many female skaters out there in mas land?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
I've come to enjoy the art of falling.
Kamaki
nothing better to do

Postby HarryR » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:20 am

From the BBC today:

Why skateboarding's 'not just for guys' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-46486507
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Return to Photos