AVON Boosters

Post your skate photos here.

AVON Boosters

Postby surferscoob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:36 am

[photobucketslide]http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/wellesly1/AVONBOOSTERS70sWetWeatherSkateboardWheelsNOSoneBayalsoTrucksWheelsBearingsSkateboardingSportingGoodsendtime22-Jun-08191916BST.jpg[/photobucketslide]

Got these on both my boards....definitely best wheels I have ever had .... but they do look shit!
I never won the skateboard kit on TisWas....... did you?
surferscoob
Super Geek

Re: AVON Boosters

Postby Nick F » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:24 am

surferscoob wrote:Image

Got these on both my boards....definitely best wheels I have ever had .... but they do look shit!

Use the [img]urltojpg[/img] tags

Fookin rare as I imagine! I do remember them though. Have you tried them in a wet modern bowl yet? That would be fun.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah my foes and oh my friends, It gives a lovely light!"
Nick F
anorak alert

Postby JamesC » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 am

I always remember them as being dog slow.

You can buy the new originals on ebay if you so wish
Loose trucks save lives

http://skateboardmagazine.co.uk/ - Europe's Hottest Skateboard Magazine
JamesC
am I a skate geek

Postby Alec » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:30 am

JamesC wrote:I always remember them as being dog slow.

You can buy the new originals on ebay if you so wish

Was just about to type the exact same two sentences. :shock:
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby surferscoob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Must say fastest I've had but then I have always used soft compounds. Was thinking of getting a new set from Ebay though....

On subject of fast or slow, what bearings should I go for........went into shop yesterday only to be confronted with barrage of bearings (whats that all about) used to be RHP or SKF!

Used them in the wet when I was younger...definitely slow then! and ended up constantly buying new bearings :( but it was cool skating through the puddles :D
surferscoob
Super Geek

Postby JamesC » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:57 pm

surferscoob wrote:On subject of fast or slow, what bearings should I go for........went into shop yesterday only to be confronted with barrage of bearings (whats that all about) used to be RHP or SKF!

Oh no, don't ask about which bearings or you'll end up with something like this bearing thread - http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8758

Personally I like rocknrons best. Not saying any more on this subject :D
Loose trucks save lives

http://skateboardmagazine.co.uk/ - Europe's Hottest Skateboard Magazine
JamesC
am I a skate geek

Postby surferscoob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks for the link, I've lost the will to live now..... only got half way down the first page. Think I'll stick with what I've got at the mo, wheels are still turning and I don't need to go as fast as in the olden days - probably shit meself!
surferscoob
Super Geek

Postby TonyB » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:50 pm

JamesC wrote:
surferscoob wrote:On subject of fast or slow, what bearings should I go for........went into shop yesterday only to be confronted with barrage of bearings (whats that all about) used to be RHP or SKF!

Oh no, don't ask about which bearings or you'll end up with something like this bearing thread - http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8758

Personally I like rocknrons best. Not saying any more on this subject :D

I can't believe you did that!!! We haven't had a good bearing debate in weeks.... :twisted:

Another vote for Rockin Ron - WHO NOW HAS STOCK OF HIS BEARINGS INCLUDING THE CERAMICS Go get some before they are all gone again. He also has a good deal on the table.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby greywolf » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:05 pm

If we're not gonna discuss bearings , can we at least have a gentle debate as to which particular lubricant would be best for us to use ? :mrgreen:
How about WD 40 ?? :?
greywolf

Postby Alec » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:20 pm

TonyB wrote:
Another vote for Rockin Ron - WHO NOW HAS STOCK OF HIS BEARINGS INCLUDING THE CERAMICS Go get some before they are all gone again. He also has a good deal on the table.

Ooh I need a new table.
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec

Postby WoodyAJ » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Avon boosters...... RHP...... and SKF...... Wipes a nostalgic tear. :)

Sorry Surferscoob but I always remember the Avons being rubbish!!! And they are not green. :mrgreen:

Bearings; I bought bones reds (£15 ish) because that was the entry level in the shop (can't help but think a couple of quid of the cost is for the bones name). Going to get a second board made up just because and will try some other bearings - and of course they will be more expensive. :lol:

Also; if I tighten up the nut the wheels hardly spin so I run the wheels slightly loose! :? Skateshop advised that is what the kids do. :shock:

Heard good things about rocknrons.

It's a trouble some subject and no mistake.
Skating is a source man, change your life........... Swear to god :mrgreen:
WoodyAJ
nothing better to do

Postby surferscoob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Oh yes never tighten nuts too much so wheels spin smoothly.......can't believe no one else likes the AVONs oh well to each his own I guess... I always won the downhill races in our street :D Think I've still got RHP bearings in mine too....
surferscoob
Super Geek

Postby Krammer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Got my Ceramic Rockets from Uncle Ron yesterday, tried them today... bloody quick :shock: :shock:
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
Krammer
am I a skate geek

Postby Cas Vegas Karl » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Please consider buying some new wheels Avon were are and always have been really slow if you haven't tried any proper wheels you don't know what your missing it will be so much easier and you won't spend your whole time pushing.
If you didnt wear a fedora you weren't really there!
Cas Vegas Karl
SHOOT ME!

Postby surferscoob » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Used to be as quick as me mates Kryptonics (or he pushed slowly). I had peralta bones before but found the Avons gripped better. I did buy a 'new age' set of wheels in the late 80's and got pissed off with them spinning out on every corner or when tic-tac'ing uphill.

I will have to get along to a meet and compare them to what others are riding these days.....
surferscoob
Super Geek

Postby Smiffy1967 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Remember saving up for a set of Avon Boosters so I could skate in the rain / wet, and because they were made locally....never did get enough money for a set but did get a sticker :roll: . Sadly I can remember the advertisment...got a feeling I cut a copy out in the day :oops:
Smiffy1967
skate skate skate

Postby wayne-ur » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:46 pm

surferscoob wrote:I will have to get along to a meet and compare them to what others are riding these days.....

Me an Deathstar Tone are going to Corsham in the morning. 9:30 if dry, i'll chuck in summat modern for you to try.

I remember the guy who started the Booster project. Think he was called Steve Bradford. From Trowbo. It started as an apprentice college project. I remember him skating hand poured krp copies in undyed urethane round trowbo multi bitd.
wayne-ur
SHOOT ME!

Postby Lone freestyler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:12 am

I had a set of Avon Skyriders - they were a prototype follow up to the Boosters. I think they were about 65mm and a lot harder than Boosters and a much more modern (for the time) shape and most importantly they were very bright PINK.

Don't know how many sets were made but there were quite a few rattling around the streets of Melksham before skating fell off the face of a cliff. I don't think they ever made it into commercial production.
History, it's just one fucking thing after another :roll:
Lone freestyler
Super Geek

Postby surferscoob » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Lone freestyler wrote:I had a set of Avon Skyriders - they were a prototype follow up to the Boosters. I think they were about 65mm and a lot harder than Boosters and a much more modern (for the time) shape and most importantly they were very bright PINK.

Don't know how many sets were made but there were quite a few rattling around the streets of Melksham before skating fell off the face of a cliff. I don't think they ever made it into commercial production.

Never heard of them before!!! Must have been pretty special if they were pink though......

Well my boosters are still holding up and turning a bit of speed at the moment although I did start to cone them pretty quickly at the skatepark.....luckily the good old British weather is helping make sure they last a few more months until I buy some replacements :evil:
surferscoob
Super Geek

Postby muttleynet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:29 pm

I still have a set of Avon Skyriders - wheel of choice in the 'sham ;-)
It's round about this time of night that I like to slip a petri dish under a squirrel.
muttleynet
I like skateboarding

Postby surferscoob » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:20 pm

muttleynet wrote:I still have a set of Avon Skyriders - wheel of choice in the 'sham ;-)

Muttleynet were you skating around the streets in the 'sham through the 80's and early 90's? I only ever saw little kids around when I was tearing up the streets....
surferscoob
Super Geek

Postby muttleynet » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:36 am

surferscoob wrote:
muttleynet wrote:I still have a set of Avon Skyriders - wheel of choice in the 'sham ;-)

Muttleynet were you skating around the streets in the 'sham through the 80's and early 90's? I only ever saw little kids around when I was tearing up the streets....

70's and 80's. Didnt do a lot in the 90's. Regularly climbed the high fence at the back of the youth centre in the 80's to skate the 6ft qtr that was locked away there. That was one of the ramps that Avon had built specifically for demos. There were at least three decent Avon branded ramps in circulation, one of which spent most of its life on the paved roof of Tiffanys in Bath.
It's round about this time of night that I like to slip a petri dish under a squirrel.
muttleynet
I like skateboarding

Postby wayne-ur » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 am

muttleynet wrote:Tiffanys in Bath.

:lol:
wayne-ur
SHOOT ME!

Postby Lone freestyler » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:25 am

muttleynet wrote: Regularly climbed the high fence at the back of the youth centre in the 80's to skate the 6ft qtr that was locked away there. That was one of the ramps that Avon had built specifically for demos. There were at least three decent Avon branded ramps in circulation, one of which spent most of its life on the paved roof of Tiffanys in Bath.

I remember that ramp it was along Spa Road. Used to push the length of a tennis court; kickturn near the top; then roll back the length of the tennis court. Then do it all again .......... I must have been fit back then. IIRC it was officially open on a Sunday afternoon which was good as this was the 70s and there was fuck all else to do then on a Sunday pm except watch 633 Squadron or The Dam Busters on the tele. Wet Sundays really sucked donkey cock back then ......
History, it's just one fucking thing after another :roll:
Lone freestyler
Super Geek

Postby muttleynet » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 am

wayne-ur wrote:
muttleynet wrote:Tiffanys in Bath.

:lol:

Fire up the Capri Gaffer weem goin clubbin!
muttleynet
I like skateboarding

Postby surferscoob » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:44 am

The Canberra??

I didn't know they had one to be honest, I knew of three private ramps in '85, Oggies, a kiddy called Petty and Mathew Pike's. Problem was they were all built for BMX but Oggies was okay as it had a decent bottom (the others had a 1/2" step). I know Pikeys ended up down at Somerfield car park around '87 but it was pretty poor quality. I stuck to the street but never saw anyone my sort of age within a hundred miles on a board! You guys must have lived at Tiffanys??
surferscoob
Super Geek

Postby mintfox » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:26 pm

hells teeth, got 2 of them in the shed,yes they were slow n mikes new oj's are fast.
bigger pads
mintfox
skate skate skate

Postby surferscoob » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:18 pm

Yep, my old boosters are S-L-O-W and those OJ's are sick! I have to get used to them still though...have aborted several runs on the path into the road because of the speed :lol: These modern plastic cores don't half make a difference.
surferscoob
Super Geek

Postby WoodyAJ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:37 am

surferscoob wrote:have aborted several runs on the path into the road because of the speed :lol: These modern plastic cores don't half make a difference.

Marvellous - seismic it is.

Quote from the intro page; we don’t have to ask mummy for a lift anymore. We can afford to buy decent skateboards

Street board is on hold - car repairs, but only for a month or three.
:mrgreen:
Skating is a source man, change your life........... Swear to god :mrgreen:
WoodyAJ
nothing better to do

Postby surferscoob » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 am

You won't need a car with these wheels!! :lol: Hopefully in a couple of months the sun may actually shine and the paths be dry!!
surferscoob
Super Geek

Return to Photos