Morley Mini Ramp 1987 - 1990

Post your skate photos here.

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:55 pm

(pictured above are Dave, Cem, Ben and myself)

Here are a couple of photos from 1987 of the mini ramp that my sk8 crew the 'Morley Hardcore'(!?) built. We constructed it if i remember rightly using plans that were printed in one of the skateboard magazines - Rad or Skateboard and most of the material we 'scrounged' from a nearby packaging / removals company. We did organise a whip round to purchase the material for the surface which was 1/4" plywood which we painted with a green woodstain to protect it from the worst of the elements. Little did we know that 1987 was going to be a record bad year for weather in the UK, remember the hurricane? Well it picked up our ramp and literally folded it in half! Although it looked dramatic the damage was minimal and we were able to repair it quite easily.

There was quite a buzz for skateboarding in the mid-late 1980s and there were about 15 of us who used to skate regularly in Morley and dozens of other wannabes and hangers on. The local vicar of Morley's St Peters parish church was quite accommodating in allowing us to use the space in the field behind the churchyard. Where we located the ramp in the field had once stood a portacabin type temporary classroom for the nearby St Peters infants and junior school. The portacabin was long gone but a concrete base remained which was perfect as the foundation for our ramp. The building of the ramp happened over the school holidays during the summer of 1987. We begged / borrowed and 'stole' materials and equipment for the ramp from all over the place, most stuff we transported on our skateboards, holding up pieces of 8' x 4' plywood on their sides and wheeling them up to 2 miles to our site. My old man fetched the surface plywood from a local timber merchants for us but apart from this all the construction we carried out ourselves.

I must admit that even now I feel proud of what we achieved back then for a bunch of young (9-14 year old) lads. Especially when you hear about young folk moaning about there been nothing to do, or especially when you see that the council have provided skateparks (Micklefield?) that see little of their intended use. Its a shame there isnt more of this DIY spirit about, or maybe there is and I'm not taking any notice. Anyway eventually as the 'craze' for Skateboarding waned and our numbers started to drop interest in the ramp for skateboarding declined and kids started using the place as somewhere to hang out getting pissed and this culminated in some lil wankers attempting to burn it down! So we moved the ramp around a bit, it had 3 locations in total, the second place we moved it to was indoors in the old JAPA mill (now demolished) at the top of Churwell hill, it was there for about 6 months and skating indoors was great for a while until one day we went to skate only to find the whole place boarded up, on gaining access to the place we discovered the owners of the derelict mill had trashed our ramp and left it in pieces inside so we moved it to its final resting place which was the large grounds of a house where a friend of ours lived down Rooms Lane in Morley. The mill where our ramp had been comfortably indoors mysteriously burned down a few days after we moved out! Anyroad I reckon you must all be bored shitlessif you'vemanaged to read this far so I will leave it there, hope you enjoyed this tale of the Morley mini ramp!

Johnny
Have a good time all the time!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Re: Morley Mini Ramp 1987 - 1990

Postby Woody » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:58 pm

(AW)
MAS, run by skateboarders for skateboarders and paid for by skateboarders.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby donkeysrock » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 pm

thats mint didn't know there was a mini in morley
our paths have probably crossed if you skated leeds city centre around that time frame
"If it won't grind go faster" bill danforth
donkeysrock
I got new wheels

Postby crispy_nugget » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:38 pm

I had only just started walking in 87 lol
Born Fast ish
CAUTION
FoxD takes his glasses off to skate
crispy_nugget
nothing better to do

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi Donkeysrock! Are you from Leeds also? I used to skate all the usual places around Leeds city centre on a sunday - and that was before all this sunday shopping nonsense so the city centre was literally a ghost town, skateboarders had it to themselves. University concrete banks and underground car parks were good, also Lloyds bank steps I remember... Facilities for skating in Leeds were none existant back then in Leeds which is why we built our own, as well we used to go skate all the old concrete 1970s parks that were still around - Southport / Birkwood / Llandudno and Rhyl were amongst them. What part of Leeds were you from Donkey?

Johnny
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby ChrisK » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:34 pm

so the city centre was literally a ghost town, skateboarders had it to themselves.

Remember having Manchester city centre completely to myself in the early 80's. Bury & Bolton town centre were fun Sundays too. Sunday shopping really fucked things up. It really was the best day for skating before that.
Chris K - a man basking in his own awesomeness but considering basking in his own epicness and now literally a legend.
ChrisK
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby donkeysrock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:43 am

i was living in beeston at that time skating with my brother and group of local kids leeds was mint on a sunday with no shoppers used to love bombing through the merrion centre doing massive power slides
we used to skate all the place's you mentioned plus a mint spot at the kingdom hall church at the bottom of beeston
donkeysrock
I got new wheels

Postby HarryR » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:06 pm

donkeysrock wrote:i was living in beeston at that time skating with my brother and group of local kids leeds was mint on a sunday with no shoppers used to love bombing through the merrion centre doing massive power slides
we used to skate all the place's you mentioned plus a mint spot at the kingdom hall church at the bottom of beeston

Mark, did you skate the Pig & Whistle banks? That was our regular haunt in 77/78.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Great story, we need more of them!
Is this where I am supposed to write something witty?
SNAKEBITE
NERD!

Postby donkeysrock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:39 pm

yes we did nick plenty of skin left on those banks and stairs
did you mean 87/88
donkeysrock
I got new wheels

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Back when the Pig and Whistle was still the Pig and Whistle you used to be able to still skate under the subway, its all bricked up now and used as storage by Leeds city council. I was reading something in one of the old 1970s newspaper cuttings from the Yorkshire Evening Post about an indoor skatepark in Armley, something about the old Washhouse - anyone ever skate there? Also any 1970s Leeds skaters remember Truckstop skateboard shop in the Merrion Centre back in the mid-late 70's?
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby HarryR » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:29 pm

JohnnyLeeds wrote:any 1970s Leeds skaters remember Truckstop skateboard shop in the Merrion Centre back in the mid-late 70's?

Yeah, definitely. It was on Merrion Way at the back, near the entrance to the bowling alley. It was an off-shoot of Centresport which was on the Woodhouse Lane side of the Merrion Centre. Orginally, all the skate gear was sold from there along with the skiing stuff and, it seemed to me at the time, it was quite up-market, with carpets and all that. We used to go there every week and smell the latest urethane and grip tape, soak up the sophisticated atmosphere and generally drool over the latest kit that we couldn't afford - fibreflex, road riders and the like. That would have been 76/77.

Not long after that (around '78/79) the skate part of the shop became Truckstop located in what can only be described as a back-passage, near the indoor market. I got the impression that the skaters who used to hang out down there were not the sort of yuppie crowd that the ski shop was targeting and they clearly wanted to distance themselves. It was never the same after that IMHO.

Still got many happy memories of those early days though.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby old skool Jonny » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:01 pm

We used to street skate Wakefield with trips to Leeds on a Sunday. Skated the Uni and a set of brick banks somewhere near the centre???
You looks familiar. Did you skate with Snoz back in the 80's at all?
A Few Calming Words....

Librium, Valium, Mogadon.

So sayeth the Lord.
old skool Jonny
I got new wheels

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Alrite Old Skool Jonny!

We might have crossed paths 'back in the day', cos I used to live in Morley we often skated around Wakefield, although I can remember on several occasions having trouble with gangs of youths near the cathedral, there was this gang, were they called the 'under 5's' or something? They used to chase us around the city centre but we could either escape them on our boards or if we got caught we clouted them round the head with it! Also used to catch bus to Wakefield to get the bus out to Stanley Ferry as we discovered the old abandoned Birkwood Skateboard Park and we skated the concrete bowl there over a couple of summers in the late 80's. From Birkwood we would catch a bus to Pontefract as there was a mini ramp built on some tennis courts near the racecourse. You used to be able to travel all over West Yorkshire on a Dayrover bus / train ticket then for only a couple of quid. Where was good to skate in Wakefield that you remember from back then? Also have you skated this Thornes Park? I really wanna check it out ASAP but I am dreading getting there only to find it is overrun by little divs drinking white cider and harassing skaters out of boredom, whats it like?

Johnny
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby donkeysrock » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 pm

hi old school if those banks were trannyed thats kingdom hall still there but a bit rough now
donkeysrock
I got new wheels

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 pm

I have never skated with anyone called 'Snoz' from Leeds, I have heard people mention the name but never met the bloke. Do you know who he is Old Skool Johnny?
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby donkeysrock » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:40 pm

i used to skate with snoz when he was around he was a little older than most of us
had a mad mini ramp in the woods of bramhope
still skating last i heard
snoz rules always has a funny story about his latest travels
once broke his fist on a massive skin heads jaw who was trying to mug him lol
donkeysrock
I got new wheels

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Yer, I recall there might have been a story, I think it was in Rad magazine about this 'Snoz' character apparently trying to skate down Pool Bank ( a massive hill to the north of Leeds) and painted on the road was the words 'Snoz Died Here' at the point where his downhill run ended... like I said though I have never met the bloke, I've been reading on the internet that apparently he designed the ramps etc at The Works? Is this true?
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby donkeysrock » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 pm

yes johhny sonz did build the skate part of the works went down a few times to help with the build
the words snoz died here was still on pool bank until they resurfaced it recently fucking gnarly slam by all accounts :shock:
he was already a legend when i met him in about 1987
get your self down the works wednesday night 8pm onwards and i'll tell you some more stories lol
donkeysrock
I got new wheels

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:55 am

yep i must check out the works while its still there, are there still quite a lot of people skateboarding these days only I dont seem to see many and I noticed the other day that the Route One shop has shut down, I think that Exit in the Corn Exchange has gone too, but I havent been there for years, are there any skate shops left in Leeds? Is skateboarding going underground again? sorry for all the questions!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby old skool Jonny » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Jonny. Pretty sure we've crossed paths. We used to skate the red-brick banks at Wakefield College, the concrete bank at Currys and then there was the precinct. I remember the gang of cretins that hung out round there too!!! We spent quite a bit of time trailing round Wakey with a fly-off ramp in the car. Dump it - skate it, get moved on, dumpit-skate it blah blah blah.
Birkwood, ahhhh - fond memories there!! First park I ever skated. Had a totally unrideable half-pipe back in '78 and a really long 'cresta-run' into a banked res at the bottom.
I remember diggin the bowl out on a couple of occasions too. We took a trip up there last summer; looks like some kinda horse/paddock thingy now. You can still make out the edges of the original concrete. Perhaps its still there????
Snoz hung out with a guy called Jonny back in the later 80's. He's a legend. Responsible for a good few parks and some real quirky stuff. The original nut-bag; rode all the way to the big comp in Munster (Germany) by push bike from Leeds.
Am skatin' The Works tomorrow eve. Should be there about 7.30ish. See ya there??
A Few Calming Words....

So sayeth the Lord.
old skool Jonny
I got new wheels

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi old skool jonny, mite have met u back then, i cant remember all the brick banks I skated, I recall getting the train to Harrogate a few times in the late 80's to skate some red brick banks at the conference centre. And I seem to remember there was something at Thornhill near Dewsbury? Cant remember that! Check out my pictures of Birkwood from the summer of 1988 i think, we heard about the place from some Wakey skaters we met in Leeds and got a Dayrover ticket to Stanley and spent the afternoon trekking around farmers fields, we had to shovel andbrush it out too but it was worth it for the fun we had there til that miserable sod Lindley booted us out and tipped a load of shite into the bowl.

I'm gonna try and get to The Works for tomorrow night if my finances (and missus!) permits me! Hope to catch up with you there.
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:35 pm

yikes! Soz bout the jumbo pictures! I will have to resize them in photoshop!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby old skool Jonny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Nice pics Jonny! Blast from the past seeing that bowl again. Seem to recall it had a really steep run-in from what used to be the 'freestyle area'. We should do a reccy armed with a JCB/tnt and get it skateable again.
Got some old cine' film footage of Birkwood from about '78. Must get it posted sometime :roll: :roll:
Hope ya manage to get a pass from da missus for tonight 8)
A Few Calming Words....

So sayeth the Lord.
old skool Jonny
I got new wheels

Postby vato kat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:34 pm

Great story that.

My only experience of Morley life was coming down from Glasgow to dance at The Orbit :D
vato kat
SHOOT ME!

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Old skool Johnny, yer the bowl at Birkwood did have a run in from the top of the park but it was blocked with waste from the garden centre when we was there, also there were the remains of a perspex semi-circular half pipe ramp. The 'cresta run' was there but it was overgrown and the concrete was unskateable. I think all that has gone now, its been replaced by some horse riding area

Vato Kat - yes Morley was known to many from far and wide for The Orbit, it was strange as a Morley lad going for a night out in a club in Morley and meeting people who had travelled from as far away as Bristol / Scotland etc especially to come to The Orbit!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Return to Photos