My first 1980s skateboard - warning may cause offence!

Post your skate photos here.

My first 1980s skateboard - warning may cause offence!

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Greetings!

See below a photo of the first skateboard I was bought as a wee lad back in the 1980s.

Typical piece of shite of the time, incredibly they are selling toss sticks like this in shops today. As I have already mentioned in another post, trying to learn how to skate on one of these things is harder than learning to skate! The wheels arent even polyurethane, just some cheap plastic that was rock hard, and unless you were skating on a glassy smooth surface the ride was appauling, even the slightest stone on the road would mean you got pitched off the thing as it came to a jolting stop... ah those halcyon memories of picking grit out of your face / palms! As with most of these 1980s complete boards it came with all the plastic and weighed about 10 stone. Hundreds of kids from my school used to ride them sitting down, bum-boarding we called it and for a few months there would be dozens of kids after school riding downhill on their arses in Morley's Scatchard Park. When myself and my friend graduated onto better boards that cost more the majority of the 'Turbo 2' owners didnt want to bother, and from their experience of using this type of board you can hardly blame them.
Have a good time all the time!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Re: My first 1980s skateboard - warning may cause offence!

Postby ben g » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:37 pm

At least the graphics were...oh,.....no, my mistake :mrgreen:
It only hurts until they administer the morphine.
ben g
I-Blade

Postby no longer a member » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:57 pm

i want one ~..
no longer a member
nothing better to do

Postby greywolf » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:14 pm

It's the one area that seemed to get worse than the 70's gear.
The cheapo beginners board .
My first wheels were mini stokers and whilst they were slow open bearings , at least they were urethane.
The polyprops some of the other kids had had proper wheels as well ,
it was only those God awful things with rubber wheels that differed .
The cheapo things that are available these days have plastic wheels as well ,
they're just plain bloody dangerous ! :x
greywolf
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby Bowl Bomber » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:19 pm

I had one of these.

Bought in Blackpool. Ended up with Slimeball seconds and NMB's on it before I got a real board.

Convex rather than concave if my memory serves me right....also made from some sort of compressed cardboard :lol:
Bowl Bomber
am I a skate geek

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:22 am

Bloody ungrateful the lot of you, when I were a lad we had ........................
Is this where I am supposed to write something witty?
SNAKEBITE
NERD!

Postby DKD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:15 am

I had one of those fuckers, was my first 'big' board.

trucks snapped doing kickturns on a bank so got upgraded to some Pacer trucks (one fluro pink, one fluro green), and some old roller skate wheels (belair lipbombs).

Luckily I only needed it for a couple of months before I had a holiday to Florida and a nice new P&P Ripper, Gullwings & Big Balls.
Dan
DKD
Super Geek

Postby colt1664 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:00 pm

Bowl Bomber wrote:also made from some sort of compressed cardboard :lol:

They don't make cardboard that tough anymore... those were the times :arrow:
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." (homer simpson)
The Polish Beer-Lovers' Party was a Polish political party who's goal was to promote beer-drinking instead of vodka and thus fight alcoholism.
colt1664
I skateboard

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Last edited by JohnnyLeeds on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:08 pm

There were literally pumped out in their millions these planks, probably the reason why most people still think that skateboards are just 'toys'. Have you seen the newest breed of lookalike skateboards where they do like a minature version about a foot long, yet they still have the same rock hard solid plastic wheels on them, FFS, if they are gonna go to the trouble of creating 'skateboards' they could at least make them semi-decent quality for the same money. About 5 years ago I bought as a birthday present for my nephew, a Mike Mcgill complete skateboard brand new from Toys R Us for under £20, and while it wasnt all top of the range components it was a far cry from the first board I ever owned (see Turbo 2 above). The Mike Mcgill complete board although it was basic was still perfectly rideable and for a beginner, or parents who want to buy their nipper a skateboard to see if its something they would like to get into then its not going to break the bank like paying for a brand new pro set up would do. I tried skating the Mcgill vs some of my nephews mates boards when I went round their house a few months later and the Mcgill board won hands down, plus all his mates agreed that he had the better board. Of course these Mcgill complete skateboards aren't gonna measure up to a proper set up like we might have, but things like this do make a difference when it comes to encouraging young uns to get involved in skateboarding, or anything for that matter, kids arent stupid and if something is a load of crap it will end up chucked in the back of the shed / garage after 5 minutes, and I know I keep repeating myself, but unfortunately thats probably what has happened to a lot of kids, their experience of skateboarding was f**ked up because the first skateboard they got wasnt worth learning to ride. And when you consider the implications this has for the sport its mind boggling! As older skaters we either have to skate in secret - indoors at the works etc orjust at the skateparks, or you can feel ridiculed for riding as skateboard when you are over the age of 13 because to the majority of the general public skateboards are still toys, and toys are what children play with, hence if you are a grown up skateboarder then you are a 'big kid' and you should 'grow up and act your age'! Now sports such as mountain biking, snowboarding, kite surfing etc are all examples of other 'extreme sports' and they dont even have as long a history as skateboarding does, but people who ride mountain bikes / snowboards / kite boards etc arent ridiculed as been 'big kids', and I think that has got a lot to do with these sports having more credibility and they arent dogged by sales of shite quality equipment that put people off from the get go... Anyway nuff said for now!

Johnny
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Last edited by JohnnyLeeds on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Last edited by JohnnyLeeds on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby greywolf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Couldn't agree more ! (4X)
greywolf
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby colt1664 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:34 pm

But what if the whole point is to get kids OFF skateboards:

"If I buy him this piece of shite, he'll be disgusted of skateboarding and will go back to piano/dance classes/church"
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." (homer simpson)
The Polish Beer-Lovers' Party was a Polish political party who's goal was to promote beer-drinking instead of vodka and thus fight alcoholism.
colt1664
I skateboard

Postby wayne-ur » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:02 pm

JohnnyLeeds wrote:..................................

Were we supposed to fit those into the really long sentence you wrote earlier? :)
wayne-ur
SHOOT ME!

Postby HarryR » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:54 pm

JohnnyLeeds wrote:you can feel ridiculed for riding a skateboard when you are over the age of 13 because to the majority of the general public skateboards are still toys, and toys are what children play with, hence if you are a grown up skateboarder then you are a 'big kid' and you should 'grow up and act your age'! Now sports such as mountain biking, snowboarding, kite surfing etc are all examples of other 'extreme sports' and they dont even have as long a history as skateboarding does, but people who ride mountain bikes / snowboards / kite boards etc arent ridiculed as been 'big kids', and I think that has got a lot to do with these sports having more credibility and they arent dogged by sales of shite quality equipment that put people off from the get go... Anyway nuff said for now!

Johnny

He's got a point you know. I work some people who think they're cool sophisticated fuckers because they jet off to Whistler, Val D'Isère or somewhere posh to go snowboarding. That's sooo grown-up, so it's alright. None of 'em have a clue that a lot of the moves were originated by skaters. I don't mention what I do when I'm at work. They wouldn't believe it anyway.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:56 pm

er, no! what happened was the big message i wrote got posted 4 times over and I couldnt delete it so I just edited it and put a lot of '.........'s' ! Really long sentence? Whats a sentence?
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby Bowl Bomber » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:43 pm

you can feel ridiculed for riding a skateboard when you are over the age of 13 because to the majority of the general public skateboards are still toys, and toys are what children play with, hence if you are a grown up skateboarder then you are a 'big kid' and you should 'grow up and act your age'!

Simple as this.

F**k people who don't skate and don't get it.

I do not give a monkeys what other peoples opinions are on skateboarding, we are all the same regardless of someone's inflated opinion of themselves. That's what's wrong with the world, ego's.

You're a long time dead not to be doing the things that you love.
Bowl Bomber
am I a skate geek

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:32 am

Listen mate, I've never been bothered what anyone thinks about me, what I do or how I look, but the majority of people are bothered and what I was trying to say here is that due to crappy products a lot of people see skateboards as shitty little toys, I'm not trying to preach to the converted here, but why is it that all these other 'extreme sports' are seen as credible, I mean FFS, even BMXing is gonna be at the London 2012 olympics, so why isnt skateboarding? Its alright saying 'I dont give a f**k!' but its not gonna help skateboarding one bit. I dunno, I think a lot of people, maybe myself included like to think that skateboarding is something special that only people who have dedicated themselves to doing can get into, but it would be nice if it was more universally accepted and wasnt still seen as a borderline 'craze'... At the moment skateboarding is still for the majority of people about as credible as a yo-yo, hula hoop or rubiks cube, its still here today and gone tomorrow... why?
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:22 am

anyway have a deek at this:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... d-event.do

There are some interesting arguments for and against posted at the bottom
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby Bowl Bomber » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Johnny, not a dig at you mate. sorry if it came across that way. Just my own personal opinion of those who are down on other people just because in their opinion it's unacceptable.

Skateboarding has so many types of skaters and disciplines and opinions ranging from the casual skater to the downright hardcore. I think the middle ground is probably those who skate because they want to go pro. The hard core don't want it to be a sport because they love the anti establishment aspect and the sub-culture aspect of skating. Casual skaters who love skating, well, they just love skateboarding and don't care what it is.

As for shit products, That is an unavoidable fact of life. Corporations will always buy cheap shit and sell it. Parents buy it because they don't have a clue and it's cheap. I hear what you're saying about the McGill set up's, but unfortunately the Argos's of this world have no care of items being of quality, they just care that there is a demand that can be fulfilled and how cheaply they can fulfil for the most profit. I don't think that will ever change for any sport.

I guess skateboarding has always been seen as anti-establishment. But I think things are changing. I think it's more accepted than ever, even the consideration as an Olympic sport must say something. The more older guys out there the better as far as I'm concerned. I've had more positive comments as an older skater than I ever had as a kid. The older crew that are on here do more for promoting skateboarding than any company or corporation does. They are out there being seen doing something they love and are passionate about. That alone is the life blood of skateboarding. Doing something you are passionate about and enjoying it.

I was surprised by the article above in the link you posted, not by the comments because they are clearly made by skaters and I've heard them all before. I was surprised by the lack of general public commentary you usually get such as "Grow up" and "skateboarding is for kids" that too has something to say about the progress of acceptance.

Anyway, just my opinion :D
Bowl Bomber
am I a skate geek

Postby colt1664 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:30 pm

JohnnyLeeds wrote:There are some interesting arguments

"Besides that, skateboarders will never tone it down for the Olympic Committee, you think we could pass drug tests?"

good point %$
colt1664
I skateboard

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Alright Bowl Rider! Naw I didnt think you was having a dig, but I am bothered about the perception of skateboarding that a lot of people have, which sadly includes a lot of young people, you read about it all the time in the papers about gangs of 'chavs' mugging skateboarders at skateparks, and you get groups of non-skateboarding kids see other kids who do skateboard as been a group of kids they should pick on, I know there are all sorts of sub-cultural rivalries especially amongst the young uns and its ridiculous. I was looking at the 'skateboards' they sell in Argos, and some of them are ridiculously cheap - £3.95 one of them! Most of them come equipped with PVC wheels - PVC FFS!, but the laugh of it is that Argos have a customer product review section with all the items they sell and the reviews that 'customers' have left for these cheap and nasty skateboards are all suspiciously positive saying things like 'Very sturdy and good value for money' and 'The wheels turn round brilliantly!' and other brain dead comments like this, its almost as if Argos have written these reviews themselves... surely they wouldnt..! would they..?! The lousy b**tards!! Anyway as long as the hapless parents of wannabe skateboarder nippers keep buying this twaddle then as far as I can see skateboarding will never really progress for a lot of kids, cos it will be impossible for them to progress in learning how to skate on these useless toys. I dunno, some of these big skate companies should produce an entry level beginners board for kids and try marketing it to the big retailers along with some sort of marketing blurb / training manual / dvd or something, after all if a kid gets properly into skating from an early age then it will ultimately be these skateboard companies that would benefit in the long run cos they would end up selling their gear to these kids as they got older and better at skateboarding. Anyway I am babbling on again like I do, its either this or watch 'Outer Mongolia's Next Top Model' with the missus...
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby burritopunk » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Mi mate had one of these bitd it delammed into two perfect halves or two perfectly useless bits of shite if you will.
burritopunk
I like skateboarding

Return to Photos