My first DIY Downhill board from the 1980s

Post your skate photos here.

My first DIY Downhill board from the 1980s

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:59 pm

Howdo folks!

Here is another pic from my skateboard collection. I knocked this one together by hand (not that you can tell!) when I was about 13 in 1987. The plank, I mean deck was cut from a thick piece of wood, probably from an old MFI wardrobe or something. The trucks were poached off an old skateboard - cant remember what they were. The wheels were some old multicoloured Kryptonic 'Slammers', might have come off some rollerskates. At the time I was really into riding downhill and I created this little number to make a custom downhill board. I had the trucks ultra loose and cut the deck narrow so it would turn without the wheels catching on the deck, it was pretty fast for an amateur attempt and I was becoming a decent downhill rider until my accident...
Have a good time all the time!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Re: My first DIY Downhill board from the 1980s

Postby surferscoob » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:47 pm

At least the wheels are the right colour!!

I similarly cut an old 4' long floorboard up and fitted trucks but it was crap downhill as it was too long to turn any sense but it was wicked at tic-tac and 360's....... if I had an 8' turning circle :D :D
I never won the skateboard kit on TisWas....... did you?
surferscoob
Super Geek

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:25 pm

I also have another DIY longboard I made from a solid wooden headboard from an antique double bedhead. It has reversed kingpin Independent trucks and some dark blue / green Kryptonic 'Roadrunner' wheels. I havent posted a picture of it yet - cos I havent taken it yet, I need a camera with a big enough lens to fit the bugger in the photo! Anyway it was ridiculously large as I am only 5'4" and because of its length the deck would bounce around like crazy when riding it. It was cool for just cruising down the road on or taking to the beach - which was handy living in Leeds. I'll try and take a pic for your viewing delight soon.

ta!

Johnny
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby wayne-ur » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:46 pm

JohnnyLeeds wrote:It has reversed kingpin Independent trucks

Really?
wayne-ur
SHOOT ME!

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:41 pm

What I mean is the trucks are on the wrong way round!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Return to Photos