Southport skatepark late 1980s

Post your skate photos here.

Southport skatepark late 1980s

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Check out my Southport 'panorama' picture that I took in 1988 using an old compact 35mm camera and expertly stitched together in photoshop 5 minutes ago.

My sk8 posse an me used to travel all over England and Wales skating the old remaining concrete parks. The Southport park had been converted into this 'slide centre' and although it was still skateable to some extent you would find that there was a dirty great death-slide in the middle of the concrete bowl. Southport was the only place I remember there was still a rideable snake run, what a buzz! We used to get out to these places on our own by catching the old biddies organised coach trips to the coast. Usually we could get there from Leeds for under a fiver! Also we would travel to Rhyl and Llandudno in north Wales.

I only wish I'd been old enough to skate at these places in their heyday, I love watching the old films of the 1970s British skateboarding scene on youtube. Cos I was only born in 1974 I was a little young for the first generation of skateboarding so I took it up in the mid 1980s when it became popular again after the Back to the Future / Police Academy 2 (?) films featured skateboarding bits and skating became a major 'craze' again. Does anyone have any memories of skating at Southport?

Cheers!

Johnny
Have a good time all the time!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Re: Southport skatepark late 1980s

Postby cat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Yea, did go there once around the same time as you. Trouble was i only ever skated carparks & stuff like that so i remember being totally stumped as to how to skate it. Good picture!!
cat
I skateboard

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:19 pm

I've heard that the 1970s Southport skatepark is long gone now, as apparently is Pleasureland - the sea front theme park, I find this strange cos I would have thought this was one of Southports main attractions...? Is the zoo also gone?
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Nice pic, but it had me stumped for a while.
I think you have managed to reverse the negative.
It should look like this

Sorry to be pedantic :D

A Couple more photo's

And the lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Andy
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:07 am

Nice one Andy, I think you are right about the photos I scanned in. I think they appeared on photoshop upside down and so flipped them vertically and I didnt realise they were the wrong way round. Cheers for sharing your pics with me, thats amazing to see pics of Southport without all them daft slides in the way!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 pm

I posted a fewmore Southport pics here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22695&p=350247#p350247
And the lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Andy
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:40 pm

Those are wicked photos Andy, really capture the spirit of the time, and I remember from the few times I was there having the sea breeze in your face, the sand in your bearings and the views of the sea / rollercoasters all around feeling like I was at Venice beach, California - not in the north of England! Your pictures show this, know what I mean?
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:44 pm

IndeedI do.
Andy
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Ian C » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:28 am

great pic johnny. that picture makes it look much better than it actually was (looking back) but at the time it was the bollocks wasn't it :D

where was that photo taken from ?
Stonehenge is the only clock you can see from space ..unless you have a clock in your spaceship
Ian C
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Ian C » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:36 am

JohnnyLeeds wrote:
heyday, I love watching the old films of the 1970s British skateboarding scene on youtube.
Johnny

have you seen this ?

Stonehenge is the only clock you can see from space ..unless you have a clock in your spaceship
Ian C
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:03 am

yer it puts a tear of nostalgia in my eye, boo hoo!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby eastie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:13 am

JohnnyLeeds wrote:I've heard that the 1970s Southport skatepark is long gone now, as apparently is Pleasureland - the sea front theme park, I find this strange cos I would have thought this was one of Southports main attractions...? Is the zoo also gone?

Here was I thinking it was the endless golden sands. Whoever call Chicago the windy city had never been to Southport.

The area is still owned by pleasureland but patches have gone over to retail development, cinema multiplexes and the likes. The zoo closed in 2004, see wikipedia -After years of neglect, the site has reopened in August 2010 as Battlefield Live Southport.[5], an outdoor combat game using guns that fire infra-red beams. Many of the original buildings and cages have been retained and the area has been redeveloped as a Battlefield Arena for players to play the game within.
eastie
I skateboard

Postby ST » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:12 pm

Yeah it did my nut in that flipped pic Andy, nice one johnny, Ian it looks like he must have scaled the scaffolding tower they had there to get that angle, you can see it on some pics to the side of the wooden skate shack.
All spilt milk now but that snake run was FUN.they should have never thrashed that place, just added to it like what Kona did in Florida.........
Esto es un sitio de monopatín, para personas que van en monopatín a sí mismo regularmente.
ST
SHOOT ME!

Postby Chris W » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Johnny, go to www.solidsurf.co.uk
We closed down the site now but it should direct you to the Solid Surf page at Facebook. Either way, myself and kermit have quite a few Southport photos n' stuff now. I was one of the originla 'marshalls' when it first opened.

Laters...
Chris W
I need a LIFE!

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Chris W wrote: I was one of the originla 'marshalls' when it first opened.
Laters...

:? sore point..
Andy
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Nice one Chris, I love seeing all the old pics of Southport in the 70's, hope you can get some concrete park sorted out cos I will definetely make the journey over from Leeds just to take in that seafront vibe! Oh and the photo I took from the top of this 'deathslide' thing that was quite high so I got quite a good view from the top. I was only a nipper tho with a crappy camera and I wasnt particularly worried about what the photo would look like, I have got a few more of myself and my friends skating at Southport in the late 1980s, I will scan them in soon.

Cheers!

Johnny
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Return to Photos