Yorkshire Evening Post Skateboard Competition 1977 / 78 ?

Post your skate photos here.

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Have a look at this newspaper cutting from the Yorkshire Evening Post, dated around January 1978 I think, it details an organised skateboarding event that took place indoors at Morley Leisure Centre, Leeds. Does anyone remember this? I have a few more photos I will post up soon.

I found this cutting along with a load of old skateboard magazines / books / receipts / skatepark tickets etc in a skip a month or so ago. Great memories eh? Actually I lived in Morley at the time but I would have only been 4 years old at the time.
Have a good time all the time!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Re: Yorkshire Evening Post Skateboard Competition 1977 / 78

Postby m5surfer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Hey Johnny,
I too competed at that comp for Stalybridge, do you happen to have the part with the comp results? I remember coming in 3rd place behind Steve Grattan, but can't remember who got 2nd.
it only hurts when you fall!!!!
m5surfer
Skate Bully

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi m5surfer! Thats amazing that you were actually there and that you actually competed! Do you have any pictures from then? I was only knee boarding around on my friends older brothers skateboards back then. I dont know who came 2nd, I wasnt there, I just found this cutting in a pile of old skateboard memorabilia from the 1970s.
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Postby m5surfer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi Johnny,
Sorry I don't have any pics from the comp :( however there are some of me and the Stalybridge team from around 1978 somewhere on the site, under "something from the archives" I think. Shame you haven't got the results to prove my memory LOL
it only hurts when you fall!!!!
m5surfer
Skate Bully

Postby TimWalker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Don't remember that, but I do remember a downhill comp in Roundhay park in 77...rammed with kids on polyprops.
I haven't finished yet.
TimWalker
Rather Splendid Chap

Postby HarryR » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 am

TimWalker wrote:Don't remember that, but I do remember a downhill comp in Roundhay park in 77...rammed with kids on polyprops.

If it was the Queen's silver jubilee do I was there too. It rained a little if I remember. I wiped out on my slalom run and placed nowhere.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby JohnnyLeeds » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:21 am

Ah! Polyprops! The first skateboard I was given aged 5 years old was a second hand polypropelene board complete with wheels and trucks. It looked quite cool actually made from blueish coloured plastic with like flames moulded into the deck and the words 'Pro-Am' stamped into the plastic top. It said it was made in California too. Unfortunately my mum had it chucked in a skip a few years ago!
JohnnyLeeds
skate skate skate

Return to Photos