a couple of old Bristol photos

Post your skate photos here.

a couple of old Bristol photos

Postby Ben-G » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Here are a couple more old photos, from around 1989 I reckon. These are from a skate holiday my pal Nel and I had in Bristol, stopping in a youth hostel at night and skating all day! :D

The first picture is Nel, the second one me. And rooting about on the web I think we were at Dean Lane skatepark (The Deaner):
http://mpora.com/photos/YbHQM42ndw

Last edited by Ben-G on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben-G
Bigger Geek

Re: a couple of old Bristol photos

Postby Lone freestyler » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Bedminster, where I wasted many a happy Saturday ......... that bank was horrible though, really whippy transition :shock:
History, it's just one fucking thing after another :roll:
Lone freestyler
Super Geek

Postby Hagwag » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Planet Rock was awesome once you got used to it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby marki3boy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:12 pm

I have a scar on my lip from skating that place. Good day that was.
The bowl demands an offering of pain — today I paid the concrete price.
http://face-plant-44.blogspot.co.uk
marki3boy
I got new wheels

Postby Ben-G » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Just a note that I have been fixing some broken links to photos I have posted - the ones above are done now. 8)
Ben-G
Bigger Geek

Postby Red Beard » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Spent a few Saturday afternoons and days during school holidays at the Deaner in the late 80's and very early 90's, the snake run was ace but scared the shit out of me if I'm honest..! Sad to see they've flattened a fair bit of what used to be there.
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby drawnShort » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:47 pm

I skated bedminster every now and then as a treat ( when my parents stumped up a little extra pocket moneys :-) ), I remember a chap called Specs who could pull some serious tweaked air out of the 3rd bowl, there were 3 I think? but shallow in bowl terms. I also remember Gonze went there once and told my mate (who now skates in Perth) that switch was the new thing about 2-3 years before it became mainstream :-)

Last time I went there in the late 90s, all that was left was the top bank and I think the beginning of the snake run.

That journey from Temple meads to the park sticks with me to this day. Ahhhh.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
My hearing is not what it used to be but my slams still work.
drawnShort
I skateboard

Postby Red Beard » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:55 pm

drawnShort wrote:I skated bedminster every now and then as a treat ( when my parents stumped up a little extra pocket moneys :-) ), I remember a chap called Specs who could pull some serious tweaked air out of the 3rd bowl, there were 3 I think? but shallow in bowl terms. I also remember Gonze went there once and told my mate (who now skates in Perth) that switch was the new thing about 2-3 years before it became mainstream :-)

Last time I went there in the late 90s, all that was left was the top bank and I think the beginning of the snake run.

That journey from Temple meads to the park sticks with me to this day. Ahhhh.

Now you mention it, I think I can remember the same lad pulling some seriously stylish airs out of the bowls. You're right, it was 3 interlinked bowls with roll in humps between them - sadly filled in now, whereas the bowls at St George have had extensions and coping added in places.
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby drawnShort » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Yeah, those bowls were great. I learnt my first one foot ollies out of the shallow one :-)

Fond memories indeed.

My hearing is not what it used to be but my slams still work.
drawnShort
I skateboard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:06 pm

drawnShort wrote:Yeah, those bowls were great. I learnt my first one foot ollies out of the shallow one :-)

Fond memories indeed.

The first time I tried to ollie out of one of those bowls I didn't think about leaning into the transition and basically just ended up kicking the board away from under me but sort of in front as well, landed on my side and ended up with a gert scab along my left knee, thigh, hip and elbow - learning the hard way..!
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby duck » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:20 am

I grew up skateboarding in a village about 10 miles south of Bristol, and I remember hearing about the bowls and snake in Bedminster when I was a young kid from older friends but they seemed like mythical places that I'd never be able to go to, and resigned myself to making do with the village hall car park and downhill runs on bumpy pavements.
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Return to Photos