What did you buy today?

Get it off yer chest here - this is the place for all general shredder chat

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Corey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:04 am

That´s a nice looking setup baleful!

How are the Gullwings treating you? Are they turny? Stable? (Haven´t set foot on a pair since the 80s.)
Corey
nothing better to do
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:30 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby balefulstare » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:33 pm

I find them to be pretty surfy for lack of a better word, even more so with the Bones mediums (and a lot more predictable too). I thought they might be catchy on grinds with the slightly exposed kingpin but like anything else it's fine when you're going fast enough.
I get more motivated by the phrase “Fuck it” than any other motivational phrase
User avatar
balefulstare
I like skateboarding
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:06 pm
Location: Selkirk Mountains, Canada

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Corey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:29 pm

balefulstare wrote:I find them to be pretty surfy for lack of a better word, even more so with the Bones mediums (and a lot more predictable too). I thought they might be catchy on grinds with the slightly exposed kingpin but like anything else it's fine when you're going fast enough.


Cool. I´m giving Aces a go now, but if they don´t work out for me - maybe I´ll try a pair of these bad boys.
Corey
nothing better to do
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:30 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Brian S » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Corey wrote:
balefulstare wrote:I find them to be pretty surfy for lack of a better word, even more so with the Bones mediums (and a lot more predictable too). I thought they might be catchy on grinds with the slightly exposed kingpin but like anything else it's fine when you're going fast enough.


Cool. I´m giving Aces a go now, but if they don´t work out for me - maybe I´ll try a pair of these bad boys.


Gullwing Shadow DLX, Gullwings newest trucks are great, better than the Pro III reissues, Well made & better finished off than a certain over-hyped, overpriced brand, also some say they are better turners as well as being cheaper :wink:

Image

Image
User avatar
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 am
Location: West Yorkshire UK

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Neo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:57 am

Got some cheap football shin pads with the ankle padding - tried ten for the first time this morning and absolute game changer
Neo
I'm too scared to post more
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby warwick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Just bought a pair of these. I’ve avoided Vans for the past few years because of durability issues, but these are supposed to be their most technical skate shoe yet. We’ll see...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ultra ... I9ECNCVMgM:


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
warwick
I need a LIFE!
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:06 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby balefulstare » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:32 pm

I'd been shopping around for new wheels but my 2 local shops didn't have anything that met my requirements (56-58mm and around 97A) Just rock hard tiny and big soggy longboard wheels. I was perusing online and zeroed in on Speedlab as they seemed to have a good variety of what I was after, didn't seem like they were sold in any Canadian skate shops though so I thought I'd have to order from the US but I just happened to be going through Kelowna yesterday and lo and behold they had a set of these at ONE Boardshop for a decent price too! Pretty excited to get on them but it's pouring rain for the immediate future. :|

Image
I get more motivated by the phrase “Fuck it” than any other motivational phrase
User avatar
balefulstare
I like skateboarding
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:06 pm
Location: Selkirk Mountains, Canada

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby fftc » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:52 am

Following the example set by Undertime of buying multiples of decks you like, I've just pulled the trigger on another Death pool shape deck. This time in the Craig 'Benson' Stewart devil woman graphic.

Image
Do what you want to.
User avatar
fftc
I skateboard
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Cara » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:41 pm

balefulstare wrote:I'd been shopping around for new wheels but my 2 local shops didn't have anything that met my requirements (56-58mm and around 97A) Just rock hard tiny and big soggy longboard wheels. I was perusing online and zeroed in on Speedlab as they seemed to have a good variety of what I was after, didn't seem like they were sold in any Canadian skate shops though so I thought I'd have to order from the US but I just happened to be going through Kelowna yesterday and lo and behold they had a set of these at ONE Boardshop for a decent price too! Pretty excited to get on them but it's pouring rain for the immediate future. :|


Would love to hear about the 97a. Those are intriguing to me. I have the Bones ATF I put on when I'm in really rough areas but I've wondered if 97a would be good for the less smooth outdoor parks.

I don't think anyone carries SpeedLabs around here but I believe Santa Cruz slime balls come in 97a in sizes smaller than 60mm so if you find these to be really helpful I may look in that direction.
User avatar
Cara
smell of grip tape
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 9:36 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Plan9Customs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:56 am

You can get them from speed lab themselves or I'm pretty sure the Assault site sells them as well. 97s will be a little slower than 99s but not too much. They're fine (as are 99s) for semi rough stuff. If you're talking crust spots they work but 80s are better for really crusty spots.
User avatar
Plan9Customs
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:25 am
Location: Yuba City

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby balefulstare » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:16 am

Cara wrote:Would love to hear about the 97a. Those are intriguing to me. I have the Bones ATF I put on when I'm in really rough areas but I've wondered if 97a would be good for the less smooth outdoor parks.

I don't think anyone carries SpeedLabs around here but I believe Santa Cruz slime balls come in 97a in sizes smaller than 60mm so if you find these to be really helpful I may look in that direction.


Yeah, I've seen that slime balls are available in a 56mm now, thats pretty sweet, I'm sure they'd be pretty similar.

So far the Speedlab 97's been great, they have a bit more grip on transition which is nice but sliding on demand is not a problem. The difference is really noticeable on the ride home from the park which is no longer a foot numbing/filling loosening experience compared to the Bones STF's I was on previously. As long as you're not doing tons of nose slides on ledges I don't really see the point of ultra hard wheels.
I get more motivated by the phrase “Fuck it” than any other motivational phrase
User avatar
balefulstare
I like skateboarding
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:06 pm
Location: Selkirk Mountains, Canada

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby misterbleepy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:47 am

Got some tiny red Kryps as a fathers day present, so my main setup is also ready for the rough stuffImage


still riding goofy
Keith B. - still riding goofy
User avatar
misterbleepy
Geek
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:17 pm
Location: Newquay, Cornwall

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Glenouille » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:06 pm

Just bought 3 Chocolate/Girl boards - Usual shape (don't care for graphics really, I'm stock pilling in a utilitarian way, so I'm just hunting down 8.125 Crailtap boards and click, click, click in the shopping basket!) and the Blind Jason Lee Dodo reissue (not sure what I'll do with this one, at £30 I had to have to have it, gonna go onto a wall I think)

Image
User avatar
Glenouille
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:32 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby fftc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Took advantage of Natives 20% off for GSD to buy more stuff I don't really need! :lol:

Another Death deck, though this time the Dan Cates 9" popsicle, and some Speedlab 'cruiser' wheels. These are 90A so harder than other cruiser jobbies but softer than your regular wheel. Interested to see how they fare.

Image

Image
Do what you want to.
User avatar
fftc
I skateboard
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby wavesnwheels » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:47 am

Glenouille wrote:the Blind Jason Lee Dodo reissue (not sure what I'll do with this one, at £30 I had to have to have it, gonna go onto a wall I think)

Image

Where did you find that for 30 quid
User avatar
wavesnwheels
I skateboard
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:40 am
Location: West Sussex

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby warwick » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:39 am

Pain Cheaters knee pads. Shown here side by side with 187 Pro
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
warwick
I need a LIFE!
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:06 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Glenouille » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:03 pm

wavesnwheels wrote:
Glenouille wrote:the Blind Jason Lee Dodo reissue (not sure what I'll do with this one, at £30 I had to have to have it, gonna go onto a wall I think)

Image

Where did you find that for 30 quid


R1 have the 3 Blind Reissues for £39 each and I had £10 to redeem too.
User avatar
Glenouille
I got new wheels
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:32 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby wavesnwheels » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 am

Glenouille wrote:
wavesnwheels wrote:
Glenouille wrote:the Blind Jason Lee Dodo reissue (not sure what I'll do with this one, at £30 I had to have to have it, gonna go onto a wall I think)

Image

Where did you find that for 30 quid


R1 have the 3 Blind Reissues for £39 each and I had £10 to redeem too.


Cheers Glenouille, £39 was good enough for me, it arrives tomorrow :D
User avatar
wavesnwheels
I skateboard
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:40 am
Location: West Sussex

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Cara » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:25 am

fftc wrote:Took advantage of Natives 20% off for GSD to buy more stuff I don't really need! :lol:

Another Death deck, though this time the Dan Cates 9" popsicle, and some Speedlab 'cruiser' wheels. These are 90A so harder than other cruiser jobbies but softer than your regular wheel. Interested to see how they fare.

Image


Definitely interested in hearing what the 90a are like.

I pulled the trigger on the Slime Balls 97a 54mm and in the three sessions I've ridden them I absolutely love them! I feel like ever so slightly grippier in the park and a little easier on my feet. Still haven't hit the streets near by that I bought them for, but so far I'm really surprised and how different they feel and how much I like them. The bright green is pretty fun too. :D
User avatar
Cara
smell of grip tape
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 9:36 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby fftc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:40 am

Cara wrote:Definitely interested in hearing what the 90a are like.

I pulled the trigger on the Slime Balls 97a 54mm and in the three sessions I've ridden them I absolutely love them! I feel like ever so slightly grippier in the park and a little easier on my feet. Still haven't hit the streets near by that I bought them for, but so far I'm really surprised and how different they feel and how much I like them. The bright green is pretty fun too. :D



My closest park is not the smoothest concrete and the paths near it are rough tarmac. I've tried OJ Elite combos (95A), Powell Ratbones (85A), Spitfire F4s (99A) but I keep coming back to my Maggots (78A) for that park. I can feel that they are soft, but I don't seem to have any loss of speed, and indeed, they are faster on the tarmac than anything else. They just feel comfy. The F4s are faster in smoother parks so they get preference then. I bought the 90As to see if something in between is an improvement. I'll let you know. :wink:
Do what you want to.
User avatar
fftc
I skateboard
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby undertime » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 pm

I, like you fftc, are a sucker for the sales (wheels look great by the way).

Picked up a Polar 9.75 Dane1 shape in a Go Skate Day promotion last week and just ordered these from the current vans.co.uk sale. 50% off, so 30 quid for some Pro shoes. Can't go wrong.

You can take the Scotsman out of Scotland etc etc

Image
https://i.imgur.com/6ouaRXx.png
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
User avatar
undertime
Super Geek
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:53 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Cara » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:12 am

fftc wrote:
Cara wrote:Definitely interested in hearing what the 90a are like.

I pulled the trigger on the Slime Balls 97a 54mm and in the three sessions I've ridden them I absolutely love them! I feel like ever so slightly grippier in the park and a little easier on my feet. Still haven't hit the streets near by that I bought them for, but so far I'm really surprised and how different they feel and how much I like them. The bright green is pretty fun too. :D



My closest park is not the smoothest concrete and the paths near it are rough tarmac. I've tried OJ Elite combos (95A), Powell Ratbones (85A), Spitfire F4s (99A) but I keep coming back to my Maggots (78A) for that park. I can feel that they are soft, but I don't seem to have any loss of speed, and indeed, they are faster on the tarmac than anything else. They just feel comfy. The F4s are faster in smoother parks so they get preference then. I bought the 90As to see if something in between is an improvement. I'll let you know. :wink:


Interesting. I just got some OJ Super Juice (78a) just for fun because they were gold. They feel really soft but I've enjoyed riding them the little I have. I'll definitely give them another go at the park. They are 60mm though, which feels a little too big for regular use. What size are the Maggots? My thought was actually to carry my street deck in a bag and skate to places on the Super Juices. We'll see.
User avatar
Cara
smell of grip tape
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 9:36 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby fftc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:00 am

All the shortboard wheels I'm using at the moment are 60mm Cara. I know a lot of folk prefer smaller but bigger roll smoother and I like smooth! :lol:

Good score UT. How much difference is there between the pro Vans and normal ones? I'm still wearing standard sk8 his.
Do what you want to.
User avatar
fftc
I skateboard
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby pete » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:29 am

pro models have better cushioning and are stitched differently, they don't have stitching and material joints on the inside to rub on your feet.

If you ever skate pro's you'll never skate normal ones again!
pete
nothing better to do
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:36 am
Location: newquay, cornwall

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby fftc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:17 pm

pete wrote:pro models have better cushioning and are stitched differently, they don't have stitching and material joints on the inside to rub on your feet.

If you ever skate pro's you'll never skate normal ones again!


Maybe I shouldn't try them then. Mine already feel like slippers! :lol:

In other news I skated the 90s today Cara. Now if I don't win a Nobel prize for advances in skateboarding understanding for this conclusion then there is something wrong!

Are you ready?

OK, here we go.......................

The 90A wheels are harder than the 78A ones, but softer than the 95A and 99A ones!

I'll just let you recover from that groundbreaking discovery for a moment. :roll:

:lol: :lol:

So there you have it. New wheels didn't turn me into a skate god (one day maybe?) and they felt kind of in between the others. A bit slower on the rough tarmac but not noticeably faster on the not so smooth 'crete. The Slimeballs Maggots will probably be going back on shortly. I'm going to leave them on for a bit and try them on a wider variety of surfaces but I think the die is cast.
If you were going on holiday and could only take one set-up, or were restricted to one for some other reason, then the 90A wheels would be a pretty good compromise so you can still skate rough stuff without rattling your fillings out. But if you are fortunate enough to have set-ups tailored to different surfaces then I'm not sure these stand out enough to have their own place. Glad I got them at 20% off. :lol: :lol:
Do what you want to.
User avatar
fftc
I skateboard
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby pete » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:56 pm

I just found that my feet ached after skating standard models :(

moved on to janoski's now and they last 2-3 times as long as vans! i find i just go though the soles in vans too quickly,
pete
nothing better to do
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:36 am
Location: newquay, cornwall

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby wavesnwheels » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:13 am

I've bought 4 of these to replace the forged bases on a couple of sets of trucks. I originally went with the forged as I wanted to use shock pads. I figured with the lower height of the forged plates and the shock pads I would end up at standard height. Turns out I prefer the ride without shockpads.
Image
User avatar
wavesnwheels
I skateboard
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:40 am
Location: West Sussex

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby misterbleepy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:43 pm

I had no idea the forged baseplates are lower than the regular (cast?) ones (and mine are only 4 hole ones, came with the titanium axle 169's)
Keith B. - still riding goofy
User avatar
misterbleepy
Geek
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:17 pm
Location: Newquay, Cornwall

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby fftc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Socks. Lot's of socks. :?
Last edited by fftc on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do what you want to.
User avatar
fftc
I skateboard
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby wavesnwheels » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:27 pm

misterbleepy wrote:I had no idea the forged baseplates are lower than the regular (cast?) ones (and mine are only 4 hole ones, came with the titanium axle 169's)

There's not a lot in it but the forged baseplates set the axle centre height at 53.5mm vs the cast at 55mm. Both my forged and cast stage 11's came with 4 hole base plates.
User avatar
wavesnwheels
I skateboard
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:40 am
Location: West Sussex

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby wavesnwheels » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Thought I'd give these a try as I really liked the red ones but they were a tad bouncy.
Image
User avatar
wavesnwheels
I skateboard
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:40 am
Location: West Sussex

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Symo_Back » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:39 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlDVpWUlnsy ... e03mm4pjsc

Jay is closing down his physical shop as he and his wife forced back to Oz.
So got this for my parents house for cruising and general curb damaging.
Symo_Back
I skateboard
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 am

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby wavesnwheels » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:47 pm

That's a great looking setup, love the graphic.
User avatar
wavesnwheels
I skateboard
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:40 am
Location: West Sussex

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Jeroen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Image

For nostalgic reasons
Slimeballs 60mm 97a in white, just like BITD

Also stumbled across this one on evilbay and had some paypal-pocketmoney left...

Image

Guess I'll have to go get me a set of Tracker Sixtracs next 8)
User avatar
Jeroen
I skateboard
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:23 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Brian S » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Vans SK8 Hi Pro's £31 Delivered, be rude not to! :lol:

Image
User avatar
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 am
Location: West Yorkshire UK

Re: What did you buy today?

Postby Jory » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 am

its nearly Christmas right?

kvaak.jpg
Jory
smell of grip tape
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Previous

Return to Soap Box

cron