Did you skate today?

Get it off yer chest here - this is the place for all general shredder chat

Re: Did you skate today?

Postby doowyrag » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:42 pm

JimBin wrote:Great stuff doowyrag. Are they Ventures i see? How you finding them. I'm riding a pair of v-lights and think they are great, although they didn't work with my last deck. I'm blaming the deck. Glad it's gone.

Hiya JimBin.

They are Ventures, yes. 5.8 Standards. I've used Ventures for years and they've always been good to me.
I moved up to 5.8's when my boards started sneaking up in size and these'll do 8.25 up to 8.75. Somehow I have two sets so that's probably me covered for trucks forever. :)

Also. It was definitely your old deck - no doubt about it.

JimBin wrote:I was skating Friday twice, Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday twice. Weather means I may miss skating tomorrow, and looks like Friday morn may be taken up with family stuff. Friday afternoon might be mynext skate which seems ages away.

Blimey. :shock: Stoked!
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby Plan9Customs » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:35 am

@undertime Yeah that was a heavy hit you took. As stated before listen to you doctor, rushing it will only set you back further in the long run. The being off board for a long time is in ways actually worse than the pain of the injury huh? At least there's family time, videos, insta, and other ways to get by though!
@JimBin glad to hear you're getting out as much as possible. Would be nice if we could see a little of it(hint hint). Although I understand about not filming since it can severely cut into time that could be spent skating, rather than dicking about with tripods and cameras, not to mention the bail gun factor.
@doowyrag Knock. Glad there's some life being brought back! BTW you're talking gibberish when it come to truck size...whats this 5.8 stuff? is that a 55-66 or 149-159?
Trying to get out for a bit soon but still smokey here and skating in a respirator sucks! Better than not though.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby doowyrag » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:35 am

Plan9Customs wrote:@doowyrag Knock. Glad there's some life being brought back! BTW you're talking gibberish when it come to truck size...

Ha! I don't limit talking gibberish just to truck sizes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plan9Customs wrote:...whats this 5.8 stuff? is that a 55-66 or 149-159?

It's what the sticker on it said. You must be speaking Indy there.. :p

Plan9Customs wrote:Trying to get out for a bit soon but still smokey here and skating in a respirator sucks! Better than not though.

I just had a look on this map (quiet day at work) and it looks like you're in the middle of the three biggest 'incidents'?
In a time of 'stay safe' - stay safer.
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby JimBin » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:08 am

Doowyrag, I'm on 5.8s too. Had 6.0 Films before them. I'm skating 8.38-8.5. I don't think i'll go above 8.5 for a while, but I may do 8.25 if i'm stuck for choice. I find them great once the top washer ate a groove out of the hanger. They turn brilliant. Feels good and can do a fairly tight U. Grinds are good too, but they wear a little quick. Clearance is mad, though. I've hit axles but barely scratched the kingpin nut.
Plan9, if you ever leaving the indy/ace world, the 5.8s skate ever so slightly wider than a 44. The axles are short after the hanger though - i have two washers inside the wheel and one outside and the nut barely stays on. On a 44 i had 3 washers inside and 1 outside with some space left. Feel wise, except for the lighter baseplate, they remind me of the indys i used to skate 1990-92. I've no idea of the stage and i couldn't be arsed googling it. Also, that fire shit looks serious. I hope all stays ok for you and yours.

On a different note, I got a quick skate today so i'm happy. Would have preferred longer, but it will do. My next chance will be sunday but the forecast is bad, bad, bad.

Here are a few slapps from last weekend:

Boarderco 8.35, Venture v Lights 5.8, Bones Big Balls, Sml Tom Knox 53mm
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:44 am

@JimBin Always rad seeing your footage!
Heres a few really slow lame things from Sunday.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:49 pm

Lovely stuff Plan9. Really enjoyable watch. Any tips on the feeble? I'd love to do one. Your one rips. Do I need a freestanding curb?

Skated a nice bit in the last week. It was good fun.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:54 am

@JimBin you can do them on a sidewalk curb or a double sided. The sidewalk is the harder of them since you've got to lock in, hit your rail, and keep the front light enough that your wheel doesn't drag. That's how I first learned them. They're really not hard, its just come in at less of and angle than you would for a normal back slappy, don't try to keep you front truck down once it hits the curb. Just kind of guide it up/over and the rail down with your front toes, lock the rear wheel in heelside and center your weight over your rear foot with most of it on your toe side. The front foot keep really light. When its time to come off pivot on your rear foot toe heavy and kick turn(its more of a kick turn than the way you'd normally come out of a back 50-50). that's about the jist of it. BTW if you can do them on trans its the same thing. Hopefully that helps, if not, let me know and I can do a video how to that'll show it better than I can write it.
They're fun as hell!

Oh yes I did skate today. Did the impossible! I landed a kickflip primo, fell forward and somehow managed to land on my knee after knocking it back to primo again. Hopefully that was a once in a lifetime thing...
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:23 am

Learned slappy smiths tonight. Still in the early ugly phase. I’ll post some once there cleaned up a little.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 am

Plan9Customs wrote:Learned slappy smiths tonight. Still in the early ugly phase. I’ll post some once there cleaned up a little.

Nice! I can get in but can't keep them longer than 6 inches. Can't wait to see them.

Plan9Customs wrote: just come in at less of and angle than you would for a normal back slappy, don't try to keep you front truck down once it hits the curb. Just kind of guide it up/over and the rail down with your front toes, lock the rear wheel in heelside and center your weight over your rear foot with most of it on your toe side. The front foot keep really light. When its time to come off pivot on your rear foot toe heavy and kick turn

Thanks. I skated Friday morn, but hurt my knee. I tried these for 15 mins on Friday evening, but my knee wasn't working. I'm too sore to skate since, and don't know yet if i'll be ok this week or if it will take longer.
On the 15 mins trying feebles, I ended in boardslide a lot as I was going too parallel and pulling in. I got better results taking the same angle as a slappy crook. I couldn't hold it cos my back knee isn't right and had to stop. Really want to try these again.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby LostnotFound » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Did I skate today, yes yes I did. For the first time in fuck knows how many years which allows me to actually post on here again. I popped along to an ABC night at the Pioneer, will write a tad more about it tomorrow.

Skate on lads.
Please ignore the above post, I have nothing of merit to say.
LostnotFound
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:04 am

@ JimBin dont feel bad, I can maybe scratch out 4"-6" more than yours. :lol:
Sorry about the knee. I have the same thing but my front knee. Sucks having to keep away from certain things at times. Anyhow, sounds like your getting close. Im sure youll have them quickly!
@LostnotFound Looking forward to hearing about it and glad you got out to skate again.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby doowyrag » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:38 am

@Plan9Customs / @ JimBin
Cool clips gents - slappies are ace - I MUST learn them!!

@LostnotFound
Stoked for you getting your board out again, I look forward to seeing / reading more.
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby doowyrag » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:39 am

I had a little play out a couple of Fridays ago.
My favourite bank was wet so I had to stick to the flat bits..

Speaking of sticking..

Cheers all!
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:18 am

As always @doowyrag, great edits.
Heres my 'smith' that was the only one that made it on film(no tripod and the phone fell and I didnt notice).

There were actual ones that got missed. But same thing just didnt get the wheel pinched before it lapped over. Im doing curb rituals tomorrow so hopefully I can get some real ones recorded this time. :roll:
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Previous

Return to Soap Box