How many set ups do you take to the park?

Get it off yer chest here - this is the place for all general shredder chat

How many set ups do you take to the park?

Postby undertime » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:37 am

I’ve got a few boards but, until now, have only really used one as my weapon of choice – an 8.375 Girl Rick McCrank. It’s been a great deck and I feel I’ve made real progress on it over the last few months.

However, last time I skated the local mini my front foot kept slipping off with (tragi)comical consequences, as you can see.

https://vimeo.com/160711697

This may be down to the grip wearing slightly, or my shoes, but to me it felt like the more I tried stuff on the coping (something I’ve just started doing) the higher the likelihood that I lose my foot placement and look like I’ve slipped on a banana skin.

I figure that the combination of a mellow concave, massive feet (size 12UK) and relatively slim board is not the recipe for success on transition.

So, this morning I tried a new deck – bought from your very own Brian S – a Half Dead Chart Attack. It’s about 9 inches wide, with a decent concave and high nose and tail. Almost straight out the box it felt more stable and allowed me to lock in (at least most of the time) for axle stalls and very feeble feeble stalls/grind attempts. On the mini it felt great.

https://vimeo.com/160711928

However, when I tried my usual tired street bag of ollies, no comply variations and flip shenanigans it was a different matter. I got it off the ground and moving around but, compared to the McCrank, it’s a tank.

Anyway, this long long story eventually culminates in this spectacular money shot – how many decks do you take to the park? Does one suffice or do you usually have separate set-ups for street, ramp, bowl etc?

And for those of you that just use one for everything, what do you have, or have had, that works best? Be particularly interested to hear from other big-footed freaks like myself…

Cheers folks!
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Re: How many set ups do you take to the park?

Postby Andrew_Culture » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:53 am

I've been wondering about this. My only answer so far is 'more skateboard = more fun".

My realistic theory is that it's going to be a long time before I find a setup combination I'm really happy with. In the short term if that means taking more than one setup to the skatepark then so be it.
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Tuhnafisch » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:57 am

One Setup for everything I do on a Skateboard, but that's mostly Street.
8.0 Decks with 53mm F4's
German Guy with bad English but much Love for Skateboarding:)
Tuhnafisch
skate skate skate

Postby Brian S » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:15 am

Usually one setup to ride generally, sometimes I'll take a second one along for testing out of new bits of kit sometimes as well, glad you like the Chart Attack
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby mjlally » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:36 am

generally two, one is 8" wide popsicle with big soft wheels on it and the other is a 9" wide pool board with harder wheels.

I have size 10 (uk) feet but only notice deck width when I move down from the wider board. The main reason I take two boards is to have options on wheel hardness for if the park has a lot of gravel on it. The second reason is that I like the popsicle better if I'm trying ollies.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby undertime » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Thanks for the replies so far guys - I'll be interested to see if there's any consensus on this.

Brian S wrote:Usually one setup to ride generally, sometimes I'll take a second one along for testing out of new bits of kit sometimes as well, glad you like the Chart Attack

It feels great Brian. It also looked great too, until my crap grip tape job... :(
undertime
Super Geek

Postby Brad Brains » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Usually two, both similar: 8.50 w/149 and 54-58mm but I just put together an old school Steadham with 169s and 66 mm Slimeballs. It's like standing on a boat after riding the popsicles.
Skating since you were swimming in your Dad's nutsack.
Brad Brains
I got new wheels

Postby Corey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:51 pm

I have one 8.3ish and one 9", yet keep riding my 8.62.. It's the perfect compromise. Impossible to ride on both streets and trannies.
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby TonyB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:23 pm

At least two full set ups.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Fen » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:49 pm

I have 3 set ups plus a longboard but I only usually take one to the park. I have usually gone for bigger boards, even though I only have size 8 feet, cos I mainly ride transition - bowls etc. Although my main ride at the moment is a Welcome Moontrimmer 8.5. Cos it's shaped it rides like an 8.25. I have also gone down to 56mm wheels. It is quite light so it has become a bit of an all round board - i feel comfortable in bowls and doing flatland stuff (although I am no tech skater).
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby Beigebomber » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:26 am

I'm down to two full setups now, one for street, one for everything else. I only bring the latter to the park.
I'd love to get down to one perfect setup for everything.

(I'm not a buddhist monk - of course I've got masses of skate gear collecting dust around the place, but ideally, it'd be a case of 'pick up board, go shred everything' with no choice dilemmas involved.)
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Noidear » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:23 pm

I generally take 2 and don't have too much trouble swapping between them depending on what I'm doing. I am inclined to hone it down to one do it all setup though because too much choice can be a bit of a hassle (I have a few different setups to choose between).
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Noidear
I got new wheels

Postby Unciano » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:22 pm

I used to swap between a 7.75 popsicle for street and a bigger 8.25 with 56mm spfs for the bowl (although I rarely took them both to the park). Quickly found out the street setup hardly helped at all so now I just stick with the 8.25 popsicle with smaller wheels (around 52-54mm) to skate everything.
Unciano
nothing better to do

Postby undertime » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Based on the wisdom imparted here I think I'm going to try two out for a while at parks where there's both street and transition elements.
The street(ish) choice is a Welcome Tasmanian Angel Eclipse 8.25, with Thunder 149 Titanium Lights and 54mm 99a F4s.
The transition is the Half Dead Chart Attack (which is either 8.8 or 9 I think), Thunder 151 Hollow Lights and 56mm 99a F4s.
I'm assuming I'll do this until I realise that it doesn't make a blind bit of difference what board I'm on, at which point I'll probably switch back to one and try to find another magic formula for not being shit.
Cheers all
w~
undertime
Super Geek

Postby vato kat » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:22 pm

All of them (one).
vato kat
SHOOT ME!

Postby Brian S » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:41 pm

vato kat wrote:All of them (one).

Wanna buy a second one? :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby vato kat » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Surely you don't have spare equipment sitting around your house? Say it's not true! You, Brian, of all people.
vato kat
SHOOT ME!

Postby Brian S » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:38 pm

vato kat wrote:Surely you don't have spare equipment sitting around your house? Say it's not true! You, Brian, of all people.

If I look really carefully I might just find the odd bit hiding somewhere (probably from the wife! :shock: ) ! :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby parker_knoll » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:01 pm

one, but not the same one each time. i vary according to mood and what the park is.
Last edited by parker_knoll on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poorly co-ordinated gnarl
parker_knoll
am I a skate geek

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:47 am

Just 1.
Whatever set up I'm riding at the time. I may change wheels out though. Doing that with my current ride. The 92's SUCK on somewhat smooth cement. It depends on real street(as in pushing to a spot, riding, then pushing to another or home) or just a drive/skatepark session(then the 99s or 101s come in).
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby misterbleepy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:03 am

I generally take 2, and often have another in the car.
My main 2 are my 9.25 zflex deck, currently fitted with Tracker Sixtracks and 60mm green core white kryps, and the other is my Pool King Stinger 10+" deck with Sabre 180 TKP's and Spitfire F4 58mm full conicals.
The zflex is now setup to be fairly turny, and I am trying to use that more and more on all the ramps, but it is a bit squirrely for my attempts to get to the coping on the vert ramp at MH, so I use the Pool King setup for that.
I have also been known to try whichever board I have setup with my Carver trucks at the park, and my Pig deck with 6" Bennet trucks.
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Hagwag » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:45 am

Just one as I'm comfortable riding anything on it after years of fannying around trying different stuff.
8.75ish deck with a 14 inch wheelbase - I've tried longer ones and find I have to artificially widen my stance which makes it feel less nimble. On big stuff I think a wider stance effects my pump and I don't go as fast. Probably all in my head but I prefer to be happy!
Theeve 6.5s, Spitfire 53mm 99a F4s.
Small wheels as big uns just look wrong to me! Practically though I have a wheelbite phobia after a few nasty slams using large wheels and prefer a low ride height. Big wheels and risers just feel wrong.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Red Beard » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:02 am

I had three set ups always in the boot of the car up until last weekend:

Roots Longboards "85 Flux Capacitor" which is a big, wide (about 10.5" I think) old skool, fish shape with a mellow concave and short nose, Bennett Vector trucks and 70mm 78a Abec Zig Zags. This was what got me back on a board in summer 2014, it eats up rough pavements and roads at a rapid rate and turns well but I couldn't get it to work so well on smooth skatepark concrete.

Death Adam Moss "Moss Hog" 8.5 popsicle with Enuff trucks and 54mm Spitfire 80HD's. I bought the deck with the plan to put it on the wall as the graphic is brilliant but decks are for skating and it came gripped, so I went and bought the rest of the bits and used it as a park board - then swapped the wheels for 58mm F4 Classics. Someone described me as looking like "a giant on a lolly stick" on this one and suggested something wider, with a longer wheelbase....

...so, I replaced the deck with a Flip Lance Mountain Crest, added Indy 159's and kept the F4's. Not sure if there was a slight placebo effect but my skating has improved massively since I swapped to this set up - it's big enough to be stable carving bowls at speed but not that big that it would stop me going for ollies and stuff. I hate the hard wheels on rough surfaces though!

I took the Popsicle out of the car last week as I never ride it lately and it was annoying me rattling round the boot!
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby DINO » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:17 am

At the very least...

Tweakers :roll: :lol:
DINO
I need a LIFE!

Postby Bleary » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:17 am

Seeing a Dervish at a park reminded me of this:

Bleary
nothing better to do

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:24 am

Bleary wrote:Seeing a Dervish at a park reminded me of this:

That sits quite comfortably in my 'I'm never going to do that' collection of skateboarding.
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby DINO » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:52 am

I'm with mr culture on this-bloody scary move,although I seem to remember jonno(ay up :) if you're reading this)throwing some into the bowl at Saffy (AW)
Talking of the Dervish,Heres Losthobos chucking one about like it's nothing 8)

I do apologise for the ancient grey haired old git(ello Wolfie %$ hope you're doing ok mate)though :X) :lol:
Bloody hell just watched that video through and there's some rarer than rocking horse shit footage of TonyB actually ridind one of his ironing boards :lol: 8)
Ello Des :)
DINO
I need a LIFE!

Postby Bleary » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:20 pm

Nice 8)

And while we're on a nostalgia trip here's some more Dervish park action courtesy of Losthobos (still rolling Terry?)

Bleary
nothing better to do

Postby DINO » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:31 pm

(AW) footage there(not sure about the soundtrack though :lol: ),as for the nostalgia,I didn't realise that footage is nearly 7 years old :shock: :shock: :shock: I suddenly feel quite old :lol:

Yeah I'll second that-you still out there Terry ?
DINO
I need a LIFE!

Postby mjlally » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Andrew_Culture wrote:

That sits quite comfortably in my 'I'm never going to do that' collection of skateboarding.

I was thinking it might be a step along the way to foot plants. I saw a young guy doing something similar on a popsicle, but starting from a blunt position. Looked very sketchy but he made it every time.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby undertime » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Felt like a bit of a tool turning up with two decks today for some reason. Everyone that had just one seemed to be considerably better than me. Assuming they were just jealous and trying extra hard.

Used, and enjoyed, them both though. ..-
undertime
Super Geek

Postby Fen » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Good to see that footage of old MAS sessions.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby misterbleepy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:29 pm

undertime wrote:Used, and enjoyed, them both though. ..-

and that is the important thing :-)
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby undertime » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:58 pm

misterbleepy wrote:
undertime wrote:Used, and enjoyed, them both though. ..-

and that is the important thing :-)

Absolutely! I just need to stop caring about what other people think... :oops:
undertime
Super Geek

Postby parker_knoll » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:52 pm

undertime wrote:Absolutely! I just need to stop caring about what other people think... :oops:

me too

poorly co-ordinated gnarl
parker_knoll
am I a skate geek

Postby TonyB » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:44 pm

DINO wrote:

I do apologise for the ancient grey haired old git(ello Wolfie %$ hope you're doing ok mate)though :X) :lol:
Bloody hell just watched that video through and there's some rarer than rocking horse shit footage of TonyB actually ridind one of his ironing boards :lol: 8)
Ello Des :)

Holy shit, that seems like so long ago, totally forgot about it. We need to do another session REALLY SOON before Craigee fucks off to live in the sunshine only a few weeks from now. I need to get some exercise Big Time.

Let's get it sorted.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby DINO » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Any idea of a date Tony ? Post one up in the Saffy thread and we'll take it from there-you never know it might tempt a few old(and new) faces to show themselves ..-
DINO
I need a LIFE!

Return to Soap Box