Harder wheels - Faster bearings

Get it off yer chest here - this is the place for all general shredder chat

Harder wheels - Faster bearings

Postby lewy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:54 pm

Right I think I could well do with some harder wheels and faster bearings -
without breaking the bank - so no hand crafted ceramic bearing races rolled on the thighs of virgin swiss chicks unless they're cheap.

Any suggestions - mainly for stocky (wood - ramps and bowls) and stocky and stocky and did I mention stocky?

But sometimes conrete too.

Currently on spitfires - think they're about 53 mm dunno the hardness and blue abec 5s.

Suggestions pleeeeeease.
lewy
skate skate skate

Postby teapot » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:57 pm

T-BONES 97a.!!!!

Only joking!!!! :D
Big wheels pull chicks..
teapot
CUNT

Postby Woody » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:12 pm

Blue ABEC 5 is not a lot to go on .... what make ?
Spitfires are 99a normaly which is hard and good wheels, but its the size thats letting you down.
Go for CoreTech 58mm or 61mm if your feeling brave and some reasonable bearings Rush 5 or 7s are pretty good. Some swear by Bones Reds .. i swear at them but hey ho. Bones Swiss will set you back about £45 to £50 ish if you can stretch to that.
Go to good Skater Owned Shop and they should be able advise you on it.
MAS, run by skateboarders for skateboarders and paid for by skateboarders.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby James Davies » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:24 pm

Bearings - Rock'n'Rons Rockets are the best that I have tried. The Steel Ball type are about £16 over here... You may find them cheaper?

...I use the Nitride Ceramic type that have been rolled on the thighs of virgins, and hand lubricated by naked French chicks. They are the bollocks, and worth every penny! (maybe that should be pound?)

info: http://www.californiabearing.com/rocketsbearings.htm

Or, If you just want bomb proof, robust, cheap bearings, go for the old "NMB" bearings.
James Davies
I skateboard

Postby Trevenen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:27 pm

Rockin Ron's are indeed the shit. Ceramic ones soon to be available in the UK much cheaper.

Bloke down the pub told me. The steels are already WELL worth that sort of price though. ;)

I also agree about the Cortechs. Top wheel. Not the cheapest though. :?

You gets what you pays for, basically. Cortechs + Rockin Ron's = A pretty penny but also = FAASSSSTTT!!!! 8)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Postby TonyB » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:32 pm

Bearings- Nothing better than Rockin Rons Rockets

Wheels - I use wheels (60mm+) not bearing condoms. Try Skaterbuilt Poolside Favours if you can handle the extra mm or Bones or Alva, most available cheap on the internet from the USA.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Hoodie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:35 pm

Hoodie
I skateboard

Postby Twellsy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:38 pm

Yup...Rons....all the way....

wheels...umm, don't ask me....it's up to you.

I have gone along with Camo Pete's top tip of Heroin flies, as I flatspotted 4 sets of other wheels this year, coz I slide about a bit...and, they are really good fast, wheels....and still round!

:lol: T :lol:
It's not where you skate, it's who you skate with.
Twellsy
anorak alert

Postby Woody » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:44 pm

Flys are good .. or the new Evil Eyes 59mm should pick them up for around £25 without having to go to the US for them.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby Stu_C » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:46 pm

Hoodie wrote:Image

Where can one purchase these wheels?

That's seven-ply-- seven layers of a thin veneer...
that are bonded together, cross-grain...
to form a board that's practically indestructible.
Stu_C
I got new wheels

s

Postby dazzzer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:55 pm

i got some schitt saw blades from an ebay shop, they are 65mm and 95A they seem pretty fast to me they were only £18

daz
outside of society their waiting for me..............
dazzzer
Super Geek

Postby Naus » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:01 am

Lewy, like Woody said, the size will really make a difference, 53mm is pretty small. Have a roll on my 58mm's at the weekend, Im sure you'll notice the extra speed it bring's.
Naus

Postby lewy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:05 am

Dudes - EXCELLENT advice - will checked the bearings SouthStar abec 5s.

So how long would you expect a set of bearings to last? Skating a couple of times a week - ramps bowls -not a lot of big airs!!!! 6 months, a year - longer?
lewy
skate skate skate

Postby Woody » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:14 am

Southstar bearing LOL
about a week.
Remember ABEC5 can be stamped on anything :)
And theres no answer how long they will last but mine last me about 2 to 3 months.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby lewy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:14 am

Hmmm think I've underestimated the size of these spitfires - more like 56 - 58. Just can't remember from when I got 'em. Maybe its just my crappy technique that causes me to lose pace - but I'm sure when I had a roll on Powls board it was significantly faster. Mart I'll have a go on yours too at weekend - ta mate
lewy
skate skate skate

Postby Woody » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:20 am

a few "mm" on wheels makes a lot of difference.
Core Tech have a hard centre reducing the give in the wheel making for a much faster ride while allowing the out to be a little softer for grip not to much just 1 or 2 degrees.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby lewy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:20 am

Ta woody - so that's the weak link in my set up. Right looks like a decent set of bearings for me first - see if that makes a difference then look at the wheels.
lewy
skate skate skate

Postby Powl » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:01 am

lewy wrote:but I'm sure when I had a roll on Powls board it was significantly faster

That's because tonight matthew I was rocking brand new out the packet bones swiss 6s. Got em on e-bay last week for 22 squid, mwaahahahahahhaaaaaaaaa :lol:

Oh yeah, the wheels where spitfire grossos from wurzel, 57mm i think.
Powl
I skateboard

Postby TonyB » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:29 am

lewy wrote:Dudes - EXCELLENT advice - will checked the bearings SouthStar abec 5s.

So how long would you expect a set of bearings to last? Skating a couple of times a week - ramps bowls -not a lot of big airs!!!! 6 months, a year - longer?

Are you prepared to clean your bearings? If you are just by a set or Rockin Rons Steels they are £16 and keep them cleaned and lubed, they will last ages, I have sets that are 2 years old and they are still going strong. Also Ron guarantees his bearings, I had 2 go a bit funny on me, he sent 2 replacements and another set Free of charge, no other bearing manufacturer will do that!

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Chip » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:11 am

yeah!....thats my choice...great for crete!

Mine were a pressie from across the pond Hoody....i`ve seen them for sale at Halfpipe close to Meanwhile grds but they were £36! :shock: ....Woody?,can you fix it?,now then,now then
Ever watch CNN for 24 hours straight?

I gotta cut that out

(Shifty is Howard Moon!)
Chip
I skateboard

Postby Indyman » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:36 am

I'd go with what Powl said, Bones Swiss are the bearings! The Ceramic version are pretty expensive, but you can pick up Blacks or Blues pretty cheap if you dig around. Those Coretech hweels are the shit, slightly cheaper are the Rainskates Hornets, 98a x 59mm in a lovely piss yellow!
Alan @ Fatboy skates does 'em.
Indyman
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Overseer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:04 am

Bones Reds fo shizzle.
Overseer
SHOOT ME!

Postby Hoodie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:50 pm

Stu_C wrote:

Where can one purchase these wheels?

Mine came from Shiners, it dont look like they got anymore though.
They do turn up on Ebay now an again
Hoodie
I skateboard

Postby burt cokain » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:31 pm

Bearings - bullshit.

Cheap ones are fine. Sending £50 won't make a difference that you'd notice really. I'm using SKF industrial bearings from a canning machine (available at most bearing suppliers). Never touched em for 2 years or more and they're still plenty fast enough.
burt cokain

Postby justin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:46 pm

IMO bones reds are the badgers' nadgers. I noticed a huge difference on 'crete going to them from some un-named abec 5 or 7 which I'd even opened up and cleaned and lubed. Agreed on the theory about big wheels being faster overall but I've just gone to a set of Ricta aircore 52mm and again more speed than my Ricta slims at 56mm of similar hardness. Is it all about acceleration?? (Stu?).
Skateboarding is back!!
justin
nothing better to do

Postby rejjiphonik » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:46 pm

Are you saying that we/he wont know the difference between 5 or 50 quid bearings?
ImageImage
ImageImage
rejjiphonik
am I a skate geek

Postby Powl » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:49 pm

I sense a bearing challenge coming on!
Powl
I skateboard

Postby oddnumber » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:55 pm

I use Bones Reds and some Jason Jesse Hardluck wheels I got off EBay for about a fiver, and that combo carries my fast ass plenty fast enough.

BTW I have some Rainskate wheels I'm flogging if you want some Lewy.
The pleasing aroma's half the point.
oddnumber
am I a skate geek

Postby burt cokain » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:00 pm

rejjiphonik wrote:Are you saying that we/he wont know the difference between 5 or 50 quid bearings?
ImageImage
ImageImage

It's probably 95% technique and 5% bearings, though that may be overstating the case for bearings. 50 quid bearings aren't 10 times better. Wheels make far more difference.
burt cokain

Postby rejjiphonik » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Understood signor
rejjiphonik
am I a skate geek

Postby rick_hurst » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:41 pm

burt cokain wrote:
rejjiphonik wrote:Are you saying that we/he wont know the difference between 5 or 50 quid bearings?

It's probably 95% technique and 5% bearings, though that may be overstating the case for bearings. 50 quid bearings aren't 10 times better. Wheels make far more difference.

you are all wrong, it's all about the lube - here's what I use to give me extra commutting speed:-

rocket ricks freshly mown grass lube

powell bristolian muddy gritty rainwater
rick_hurst
Admin

Postby Ayd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:56 pm

nowt wrong with 53mm wheels, I use them on wood, crete, tarmac, concrete etc... and I fly along

Normally Spitfires do the job but i'm currently 'trying' some 53mm coretech's, they're not bad

as for bearing

Bones Reds rule, forget rockin rons they'll never be used to their full potential in a skateboard.....
Ayd
Admin

Postby street_urchin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:03 pm

I reckon the same golden rule applies to bearings as most things, if you want something decent but don't want to spend a fortune just get the second cheapest. For me this is usually Mini Logos at £9.50 a set, they last a few months then I throw them away and put new ones in. Bones Reds are shit by the way.
cakes and snouts
street_urchin
Admin

Postby sam » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:37 pm

if you look closley at this cut away diagram of a bearing you can see the inside !!!

SAM is MAS !!!...spelt fakie !!!
sam
SHOOT ME!

Postby OLDMANARMY » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:25 pm

Not sure why you would not just go with the best-RockinRons ceramic.

Yes it might be a tad bit more money, but in the long run you will actually save because he guarentees them for a life time. As others have said on MAS, if a problems occures, he will fix it.

Just try calling up Powell to tell them that their reds have gone south and see what they say.

I too have heard that a shop in the UK will be carrying Ron's for much cheaper....any news on this yet Trevenen?
Get off the couch!
OLDMANARMY
I skateboard

Postby street_urchin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:36 pm

Hardly a "tad" more expensive, and I somehow doubt that they have a lifetime guarantee against wearing out.
cakes and snouts
street_urchin
Admin

Postby OLDMANARMY » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:47 pm

street_urchin wrote:Hardly a "tad" more expensive, and I somehow doubt that they have a lifetime guarantee against wearing out.

You stand correct that they are much more expensive then a shitty bearing like Reds or Luckys. But my point is that the Ron's will last through many sets of the cheaper bearings which in the end you will save money. I also know that a shop in the UK is trying to get the ceramics for a cheaper price, which will lower the price to the consumer. I'm waiting to hear from Trevenen to see if it actually happened before I let the cat out of the bag.

Here's a quote straight from the horses mouth-taken from the OMA forums where Ron posts.

DaveB7 wrote:
Y'know if you order a set of wheels from Ron's site he'll include 4 spacers individuly mesured to fit each wheel.

Ron
That is correct !! The wrong spacer does more harm than good. Teh right size spacer will be much better bearing performance, life, and you will be able to tighten your wheels down tighter while spin maintaining free spin and illiminate alot of wheel slop on the axle....

Thanks for the review for ALL the people that took advantage of our secial and tried our Ceramic Rockets. Remember the Ceramic Balls are guaranteed forever and will last in many sets of Rockets. I have instruction how to swap out the balls if you need.

Sorry, I havent been back lurking for a few weeks. i took vacation and its been 13 hours since my return. Getting a little bit back to normal now.
Get off the couch!
OLDMANARMY
I skateboard

Postby Smiler » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:55 pm

NMB's or more recently Mini logos for me. Once they're fooked, bin 'em and stick another set in... you don't miss £9 every now & again, but you do miss a £50 hit for bearings all at once, as said before they might be a little better but the're not £40 better, IMO obviously.

I've been skating for 17 years and I bet I've only ever had 10 sets of bearings in all that time and they've all been sub £10 for the set...
Smiler
nothing better to do

Postby Powl » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:06 pm

burt cokain wrote:50 quid bearings aren't 10 times better

Can't argue with that. But then neither does a brand new car go 10 times as fast as my old £250 banger. Personally I definitely noticed a big difference when I stuck some reds in having been on cheapos, and the swiss seem quicker still. But then there's lots of other variables like wheels/ technique improving so yeah, could be a load of old bollocks I guess.
Powl
I skateboard

Postby OLDMANARMY » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:08 pm

Smiler wrote:NMB's or Mini logos for me. Once they're fooked, bin 'em and stick another set in... you don't miss £9 every now & again, but you do miss a £50 hit for bearings all at once, as said before they might be a little better but the're not £40 better IMO obviously

I've been skating for 17 years and I bet I've only ever had 10 sets of bearings in all that time and they've all been sub £10 for the set...

It's two-fold. First off is the performance. I have been through a shit load of bearings in my 20 plus years of skating. Ron's ceramics are hands down the fastest and smoothest I have ever had. Yes, a cheaper metal bearing would suffice, but I don't want to suffice...

Do you tinker around with your skateboards just to save a few bucks? Yes you could go down to your local sporting goods store and buy some piece of shit deck which would suffice.....but do you?

Next is the cost of the bearings. This might not apply to you Smiler because it seems that you hardly go through sets of bearings. Before I had the Ron's, I would go through a set of reds every three months. We get a lot of dirt out here in AZ at the parks and I could never keep them clean. Yes you can wipe the dirt off of the surface, but really you are just pushing the dirt down into the seals.

I would much rather pay the extra cash to save money in the long run as well as have a faster, smoother ride in the process.

I'm hoping that Paul will email me to let me know the situation if Rons will be provided in the UK at a cheaper price. So the price margin might not be what it use to be making it much more affordable.
Get off the couch!
OLDMANARMY
I skateboard

Postby sam » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:16 pm

Erm...how long have you had your ceramics..mike ??? :roll:
sam
SHOOT ME!

Postby Trevenen » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:28 pm

burt cokain wrote:Bearings - bullshit.
Cheap ones are fine. Sending £50 won't make a difference that you'd notice really. I'm using SKF industrial bearings from a canning machine (available at most bearing suppliers). Never touched em for 2 years or more and they're still plenty fast enough.

Fair enough, if they are fast enough for your application why switch? If you are already going fast enough for you, then fine. ;)
I rarely feel 'hey I'm going as fast as I want to' certainly not on long runs in big crete bowls anyway..
Sam - It's not how long anyone has had them, it is the fact that the balls themselves in the ceramics are guaranteed to last forever. If the other steel component parts of the assembly wear or fail Ron will rebuild your set with your ceramic balls in a new assembly. ;)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
Trevenen
Internet FREAK OF NATURE

Postby street_urchin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:29 pm

OLDMANARMY wrote:Yes, a cheaper metal bearing would suffice, but I don't want to suffice...

That's the thing if you really care about having "the best" then maybe but otherwise how many people are going to want to piss arse around pulling all the balls out of their bearings when the rings wear out to cash in on the "lifetime guarantee"? I've ridden all sorts of bearings including some ceramics and to be honest apart from the proper shitty cheap ones most of the difference I found so small that I couldn't tell whether I was imagining it. Comparing it to decks is meaningless, rubbish decks feel every bit as cheap as their price.
cakes and snouts
street_urchin
Admin

Postby OLDMANARMY » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:30 pm

sam wrote:Erm...how long have you had your ceramics..mike ??? :roll:

I have had the bearings for I believe two months now. They actually are even getting more faster as I'm wearing them in.

What difference does it make how long I have had them Sam? I have been skating non-stop for over twenty years and I think I'm a pretty good judge if something is good or not.
Get off the couch!
OLDMANARMY
I skateboard

Postby Smiler » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:33 pm

I appreciate what you're saying, but here in the UK if you skate the streets or ride parks built in the 70's like Rom or Harrow etc, the concrete is suitably rough enough to negate any benefit gained by having £50 bearings.

I guess I'm pretty light on my bearings, although I kind of fit them & forget them untill they grind, stop turning or shed the ball races...

It's never really occured to me that a set of bearings would make my skate experience better or worse, I guess it's just personal preference. Hopefully you guys that rate the Rons can get them cheaper, which is always good in my opinion.
Smiler
nothing better to do

Postby sam » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:38 pm

i was only pulling Mikes leg as i know he's only had the ceramics since 27th oct :lol:

I'm a fan of rockin rons to be fair ....

I haven't found the ceramics any faster than the steels tho.....and i seem to remember ron saying they would be !!!! :shock:

I'm pretty sure that i couldn't be bothered to pull bearings apart and fuck around....

so i'd recommend the steels !!!
Last edited by sam on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam
SHOOT ME!

Postby OLDMANARMY » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:40 pm

Smiler wrote:I appreciate what you're saying, but here in the UK if you skate the streets or ride parks built in the 70's like Rom or Harrow etc, the concrete is suitably rough enough to negate any benefit gained by having £50 bearings.

I guess I'm pretty light on my bearings, although I kind of fit them & forget them untill they grind, stop turning or shed the ball races...

It's never really occured to me that a set of bearings would make my skate experience better or worse, I guess it's just personal preference. Hopefully you guys that rate the Rons can get them cheaper, which is always good in my opinion.

That's a good point. There are many factors that come into play depending on what you like to skate as well as where/terrain you like as well.

Where I live, we have wide open parks and I love the extra speed I get from the Rons bearings. I also ride on a longboard which is much more heavy then your regular deck. I find that with the extra speed, I can actually concentrate more on my tricks, then trying to gain the speed to do them.

It might be a little bit different for the UK folk then the US folk. I can send Ron my bearings and I believe 10 bucks and he will professionaly rebuild and clean them. I'm sure the same would hold true for the UK, but the shipping might be a tad more. We are talking about bearings which are very light, so I can't see that it would cost an arm and a leg to mail them to Ron.
Get off the couch!
OLDMANARMY
I skateboard

Postby davis » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:06 pm

i have some bones swiss for around 4 years now very fast but only
if you clean and lube them every week or two if you skate a lot
they cost more than others £45 over 4 years is good value
as for wheels cortech [bit slippy on wood when new] or 60mm pool king
davis
I like skateboarding

Postby Joolz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:12 pm

I will summarise my feelings wrt bearing variation from a technical standpoint by a single word

BOLLOCKS
I can expand on that technically if you wish, but it will still come down to the phrase 'bollocks' after 10 pages of pseudo-science technobabble.

For reference see OMA thread :wink:
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Youth about me - "That guy looks like Bob Burnquist"
Carl - "Yeah but He skates like Bob Burntcrisp"
Joolz
anorak alert

Postby Joolz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:15 pm

I bet you bearing luvvas believe Uri Geller can bend spoons with his mind dont ya?

And the Moon is made of Cheese

One born every minute, as they say. :roll:
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Youth about me - "That guy looks like Bob Burnquist"
Carl - "Yeah but He skates like Bob Burntcrisp"
Joolz
anorak alert

Postby Stu_C » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:12 pm

justin wrote:IMO bones reds are the badgers' nadgers. I noticed a huge difference on 'crete going to them from some un-named abec 5 or 7 which I'd even opened up and cleaned and lubed. Agreed on the theory about big wheels being faster overall but I've just gone to a set of Ricta aircore 52mm and again more speed than my Ricta slims at 56mm of similar hardness. Is it all about acceleration?? (Stu?).

Small wheels will accelerate faster when you pump in a tight transition or when you push off on the flat. Bigger wheels will hold their speed longer, decelerate slower. IMHO

My Bones Reds are starting to rattle a little after only a few months. There not any slower though. I've even cleaned and lubed them with Fat Boy Skates lube (How can something that smells so good be so toxic?). :)

That's seven-ply-- seven layers of a thin veneer...
that are bonded together, cross-grain...
to form a board that's practically indestructible.
Stu_C
I got new wheels

Postby street_urchin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:14 pm

I read the bearing thread on OMA and to be honest old RocknRon nearly had me sold right up until he said:

"Stay turned for our RocknRon's Rockets in the new upcoming Tony Hawk Project 8 video game. You will be able to put Rocket stickers on your skater, paste Rocket stickers around, and will see our banner at some of the skateparks in the game."

Looking at the list of sponsored riders I see Danny Way's not on there, someone should tell him about those ceramic bearings, just imagine how high he could go off his mega ramp if he was going FORTY PERCENT faster.
cakes and snouts
street_urchin
Admin

Postby Ayd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:58 pm

OK lets look at this thread

Bearings...I mean come on.

This is a Skateboard, not a jet fighter or an F1 car...a skateboard, a highly innacurate tool normally guided by an idiot. :D

Rons, Swiss etc.. my arse, you are never going to use a 608 bearing to anything like it's full potential when Skateboarding, it's not aas if a skatepark is laboratory conditions.

Rons, Swiss etc.. my arse, precision on a skateboard...don't make me laugh.

Hey guess what? If I put mini logo bearings in my wheels and drop in, I can get to the other side of the ramp PLUS if I kickturn I can get back to the other side.....and you'll never guess what else, if I do the same with Rocking Rons, I get EXACTLY the same result and I can do it in exactly the same time too!!!!

fuckin spooky isn't it!!!! :D

but what makes it even more 'tales of the unexpected' is, ask me to do it blindfolded so I couldn't see which set of bearings you'd stuck in and do you know what...I bet I couldn't tell you the difference as they'd both feel exactly the same....strange isn't it...it's freaked me out for a while.... :D

Just avoid anything that comes from Argos or similar stores and you'll be fine......honestly....

The big point here is no matter what 'reasonable' set of bearings you go for, maintenance is the key, clean them and care for them and love them like your own children and they'll be fine for years...I have a set of NMB's in my longboard, over 20 years old and they still roll free and smooth and still as good as anything else out on the market today.

end of...... :D

yes yes yes before the hate mail and people start pulling up flow charts and graphs it's a little tounge in cheek, there's nothing wrong with any reasonable bearing out there, just don't take is soooo seriously..it's a bearing for gods sake.
NB - this is to no way detract from the sterling work companies big and small do to progress bearing manufacturing, they all work hard and produce good quality stuff.
Ayd
Admin

Postby oliver » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:34 pm

OK, answer this and stay fashionable!

Why does an axle that has an imperial size rely on a metric bearing?
Like ayd says, it aint eggzakly rocket science is it?
Why the foosh dont truck manufacturers start using the same 8mm axle that the bearings we all put in our wheels are made for?

Well?

WELL??

This is the reason there is slop in our wheels, this is the reason I aint gonna spend shit loads on my bearings.
Yes I know the slalom freaks mod their trucks to 8mm, but why isnt it standard yet? Its 2006 not 1976!

Would you notice the difference? Probably.
Is it worth it? More than probably.

I dont put imperial axles in my bike for a reason. Cos I dont have to. If any other piece of equiptment came with imperial axles and metric bearings you'd take it back to the bloody shop.

Why do we put up with this shit? :twisted:

*cat/pigeons tounge/cheek devil/advocate etc*
oliver
nothing better to do

Postby sam » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:42 pm

it may seem like i'm changing sides but....

changing the bearing i used and the wheels...

made the difference between me getting figure 8's at stocky and not...

I have to admit ive found rons steels balls to be a good bearing....but like a lot of peeps have said it ain't 'rocket' science..and all the shit some of these bearing companies spout is ...well...just shit !!!
sam
SHOOT ME!

Postby Woody » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:00 pm

Carrying on from Oliver's subject on axles 8mm or Not ... consider this as well, Most trucks the bearing on the outer edge of the wheels runs on thread as well as axle as most are threaded further than they need to be, yet more proof it not an exact sport or is it ?
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby lewy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:03 pm

Fck me...well I did ask. I now feel totaly inducted into the world of bearings. I reckon I defo need some and I also think my skating enjoyment will benefit from some Rons.

I have some Rainskate wheels I'm flogging if you want some Lewy.

Which ones Carl - you not like 'em or what?
lewy
skate skate skate

Postby Ayd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:03 pm

yeah hopefully people won't take my post as a dig at 'rons' they're good but so are many other makes out there..

It's not an exact precision sport...

Probably the biggest difference most feel when they change wheels and bearing is going to be the wheels, especially if you've gone from soft to hard...
Ayd
Admin

Postby Woody » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:10 pm

hard to soft in 60 seconds :)
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby Joolz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Ayd wrote:yeah hopefully people won't take my post as a dig at 'rons' they're good but so are many other makes out there..

It's not an exact precision sport...

Probably the biggest difference most feel when they change wheels and bearing is going to be the wheels, especially if you've gone from soft to hard...

Ok then... I'll have a dig

Anyone that says their bearings are 40% better (for skating) are, at best being economical with the truth, and at worst, a con artist.

40% of fuck all = fuck all

Don't buy into all this crap.

And I will argue to the hilt with anyone who thinks spending £50 on bearings will make a scrap of difference over a £5 set from ebay.

Spend five quid, de-grease and re-apply a lighter (lower viscosity) lube.

I would bet any amount of cash that a proper sceintific study of £50 vs £5 bearings - IN A SKATEBOARD WHEEL and on a board will show a miniscule difference (ulmost unmeasurable) at best. In an engineering environment bearing quality has a massive effect on life etc...... but not on a friggin skateboard!!!

Ayd, Oliver, et-al are 100% right,

Its bullshit and some of you are falling for it.

If you want the same effect as a set of £50 bearings vs £5 ones here are a few suggestions for you

1) Have a shit before your session
2) Wear one sock instread of two
3) Cut your nails
4) Don't wear a long sleeve Tee shirt
5) shorten your shoe laces
6) Use 6 truck bolts instead of 8
7) drill a 5mm hole in your deck
8) Use less grip tape
9) use a wheel 1mm larger in diameter
10) Pump a bit harder

etc etc

There ya go...... I feel much better