When you started skateboarding again.......what was it like?

Where all the shit ends up ...

Postby darthpunk » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Thought it might be fun to hear peoples stories about getting back on the board and what it was like when they started rolling again for the first time since they were nippers who bounced when they fell rather that crunched and cried :D
darthpunk
I skateboard

Postby warwick » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:27 pm

I’ve had several spells of 3-4 months off skating due to injury. The thing that shocked me every time was how much skill and confidence I lost even in that short a time, and how hard I had to work, over how long, to try to get it back. I found myself unable to do tricks I’d been doing without thinking for 20 years or more. Sometimes it’s taken me 2 years of regular practice to get some of them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Re: When you started skateboarding again.......what was it l

Postby undertime » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:41 pm

It was like coming home. An immediate sense of belonging - an identity I thought I'd lost.

Three years back in after many, many years off and I still get the same sensation every time I step on board.
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby Brian S » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:26 am

Painful, scary & knackering!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Jeroen » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:47 am

It's weird... Hadn't skated since 1990 or so
My brain remembers the things I'm supposed to do, but my body doesn't
The muscle memory is gone and so is a lot of my balance
Had a couple of sobering mishaps right at the start, nothing too serious, but enough to get me thinking...
So I just take things easy and accept the slow progress
Still every bit as fun as it was back then though
Jeroen
I skateboard

Postby reckless toboggan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:29 pm

In the mid 00's I took a really bad slam down a hubba and did some real damage that made me question what I was doing. I got a really bad back injury from it, that could have been a lot fucking worse.

About 10 years off the board.

Then 4 maybe 5 years ago:

Took me about 4 or 5 sessions to really get the timing of my Ollie back.

After that, it was game on, and I was grinding and sliding stuff, skating a lot of street and parks.

I'd be really sore, but kept going.

Slams, but manageable. Off for a day. Then back at it.

3 years ago:

Then I took a hard slam. Shook my confidence for a few minutes, but dusted myself off and got back at it. Really sore, but didn't want to think too deeply on it, so just carried on.

Then a week or so later, another hard slam. What's going on here? Injured. Fuck. What's up with that. Confidence goes down.

Then weeks later back at it. Hard slam immediately. Injured. Again.

WTF?

2 years ago:

The hard slams kept happening.

Longer and longer periods of injury. Hospital visits for some.

Lost all confidence.

Standing on a board was a little scary. Just pushing around was terrifying. This sucks.

Go back to carpet skating and grass skating to try to get confidence again. That didn't work.

Give up skating for a while. Get depressed. Get out of skating altogether for several months. No videos, no posts here, and no skating.

1 year ago:

Bunch of family shit that reminds me life is very short.

6 months ago:

Start watching skating again. Start posting again. I'm excited to get back on board once it's not minus 20C and 25 cm of snow.

So I guess I'll start skateboarding again, again.

Although, if you look back to 1979 when I started skating, I was 4 years old and was obsessed with skating my blue plastic banana board around the neighbourhood and at the roller rink (that had sweet ramps in the back), it's more like this time, at 44 years old, I'm starting skateboarding again, again, again, again, again, again.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby fogiezboy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:00 pm

Started skating in 76,mates dad mate two diy skateboards butchering a pair of those rubber wheeled skates.Skated for 7 years until I got distracted with 125 bikes :D .Started again in the late 80's until I thought I was too old for it around 94.Got back into it after watching the Dogtown Z boys documentary I think this was around 2004.It was bloody hard at first and as I was ageing clearly not as easy as it had been.Still skate now at 54 but much more subdued nowdays,I have found though that breaks from skating as you get older are a killer,best to keep going as you get older ..-
Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Postby Beigebomber » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 pm

fogiezboy wrote:Skated for 7 years until I got distracted with 125 bikes :D .

Sheeeet. That's a lot of bikes.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby fogiezboy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Beigebomber wrote:
fogiezboy wrote:Skated for 7 years until I got distracted with 125 bikes :D .

Sheeeet. That's a lot of bikes.

125cc mate :D
Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Postby Beigebomber » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Proper answer: I've not skated since some time around Christmas. It's been very wet and I pretty much only skate my local park these days, which has been sodden. So, in about a month's time, hopefully, I'll get back to it. This has happened before. I find the biggest hurdle is getting the nerve back to drop in on the ramp again. Anything more than about 2 months away from it, and it's like I've never done it before. My nerve goes completely.
On the upside, once I finally *do* get the balls to drop in again, the muscle memory kicks in and there's no learning to be done. I'm absolutely fine after two or three of them. But that first one is really hard. It's so stupid, because my brain knows perfectly well that I've done this before, hundreds of times.
Once I've got the drop sorted, things get back to my old level within two or three sessions. But my level's not particularly high. I think that, to actually get *better* at ramp stuff, I need to be skating at least 5 times a week. But that increases the possibility of injury, and only ever happens for a couple of weeks in summer at best.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Beigebomber » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:27 am

And yes, just as I predicted (maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophesy), I got back to the ramp yesterday, and couldn't get the balls up to drop in.
Usually that would frustrate the crap out of me, but it's happened often enough now that it's not that big a deal. I just pumped the ramp, did rock tricks, kick turns, slashgrinds. I'll keep doing that, and at some point I'll just get fed up of all the under-the-coping stuff and just drop in. I think the trick is to get so fed up with *not* dropping in, that I end up just *wanting* to drop in more. And once I really want to do it, I'll do it.

So frigging stupid though. Real psychological block. I've dropped into that ramp thousands of times. My body can do it. My head says no. And then I'll do it once and my head will be going 'don't look at me, mate! I always knew we could do this.'
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Brian S » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:25 pm

Beigebomber wrote:And yes, just as I predicted (maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophesy), I got back to the ramp yesterday, and couldn't get the balls up to drop in.
Usually that would frustrate the crap out of me, but it's happened often enough now that it's not that big a deal. I just pumped the ramp, did rock tricks, kick turns, slashgrinds. I'll keep doing that, and at some point I'll just get fed up of all the under-the-coping stuff and just drop in. I think the trick is to get so fed up with *not* dropping in, that I end up just *wanting* to drop in more. And once I really want to do it, I'll do it.

So frigging stupid though. Real psychological block. I've dropped into that ramp thousands of times. My body can do it. My head says no. And then I'll do it once and my head will be going 'don't look at me, mate! I always knew we could do this.'

Yeah, after not skating for a while even though I've dropped in a zillion times, I suddenly have a mental block & can't do it, small banks/Transitions are even worse for it as you can only see flat below your board (this can happen anytime as well), crazy isn't it!! :D :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Return to Shit Corner